Not good but saw it coming

Pongo

mousermerf said:
The 4yo's death was caused by stress. This stress could have come from any sort of stressor, but as he died on the ride, it's easy to surmize it was the ride. Fluke, we move on..

However, there is a difference between the two. The boy died as the ride was in process. The woman from yesterday "got sick" after the ride and died nearly 24 hours later in Celebration Hospital. There are many lurking veriables to consider.

Pete C

I think it is safe to say that the Mission was a big fat failure. I can't believe what I am reading in here. People trying to justify the ride based on warning screens after something like this. Like everybody knows about conditions that this ride could possibly affect? From what I am reading here, there are some people that think MS is tame. If you think that, then you are in the VAST minority. I go on rollercoaster trips every year to ride the biggest and fastest coasters, and let me tell you no ride has EVER made me feel like MS does. As for the gravitron comment...I've done several gravitrons and none of them make me feel like MS does either. That said, I thought MS was really cool, and I loved the intensity, however the feeling I had afterward was not one I want to experience again. I didn't get "sick", rather I just felt weird and out of sorts for a few hours. I have read this from countless other riders. I was planning on doing it again in June...not anymore. It's not worth it at this point.

Bottom line...this ride really has no business in a Disney park. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't. They took a gamble on making a realistic launch and space flight simulation, and they LOST. The ride feels wrong. Apparently, you should not be staring at a screen while being spun at high speeds. So, if it isn't the G's then it's the implementation of the screen plus the Gs. Whatever it is, it doesn't work correctly. I can't even believe the ride was approved the way it is. Seriously, who tested this ride? Astronauts?!? I mean, come on, have you ever, EVER heard of a ride that gets more people screwed up than this ride? I read reviews all the time on thrill ride sites about people getting totally messed up from this ride. I repeat: thrill ride sites. These are people, like myself, that seek thrills, and many of them get sick on MS. Is it worth having this thing in the park? Even if the ride itself didn't necessarily "kill" these people, they certainly wouldn't drop dead riding anything else at Disney. MS is just flat-out not appropriate for WDW. I honestly believe that MS is a way more unsettling ride than even Millennium Force or Top Thrill Dragster, two rides that would send many people heading for the hills. Those rides have a built-in intimidation factor that probably helps avoid issues like this. Here and there you will here about a rollercoaster killing someone due to a pre-existing condition like this, but MS has killed 2 people now. And people think the warnings should be enough to justify what this ride is doing? This isn't Six Flags...IT'S DISNEY WORLD!!!!! The happiest place on Earth should NOT be home to a ride even capable of killing someone. Also, people seem to be forgetting that several other elderly folks were sent to the hospital when the ride first opened. Does the park need this negative PR? A ride that is now known to have 2 people die on it? Folks, I hate to break this to you, but MS as you know it is done...it's over...see ya.

PhotoDave219

MrNonacho said:
M:S has this same warning, word for word, on no less than 7 signs before you are even put in a ready room.

There are 19, Count'em, 19 warning signs. (Source - AP)

According to the sentinel, out of 8.6 million people who rode it before the african kid's death, less than 200 people had Reedy Creek called for them.

Exactly what Disney should do, I dunno. It's not my decision to make. Because this is a $160 million dollar attraction that 2 people have had very high profile deaths on. IMO, the negative publicity will kill the attraction, and before long nobody will ride it.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
mousermerf said:
I think the problem is going to be that to the general public, splitting hairs saying the ride didn't malfunction but rather the forces it created contributed to two deaths isn't going to be pretty.

The 4yo's death was caused by stress. This stress could have come from any sort of stressor, but as he died on the ride, it's easy to surmize it was the ride. Fluke, we move on..

But, now we have another person, who seems to hav died from stress caused by the attraction. She may indeed have been as prone to problems as the boy, but not we really have to question if subjecting people to these forces en masse is the a good idea anymore.

How many people would have to die for the statistics to be signifigant?

It's like an uncontrolable risk now - how does one know they have such an issue? I think Disney no mater what will be forced to make some sort of change, no matter how logic spins it, people are not going to trust the ride.

Against my better judgement I am getting back into this discussion...

Great post Merf. This is pretty much everything my first post said. When will enough be enough. I am sorry, but if I were Disney I would value the lives of my guests more than a ride that has the *potential* to be more dangerous than any other ride in the parks. I realize that every ride you go on is a risk. I also realize that driving a car or taking a bath is a risk, but to me those are necessary risks. Riding M:S isnt necessary for me.

I have High Blood PRessure that is controlled by medication. Yes, I ride plenty of attractions that recommend I don't go on. However, M:S was one of the only rides I have been on that actually caused me to have a HBP attack. If anything, other rides in the parks lower my BP because the release of stress I feel on them is far better than any medication.

The bottom line is Disney is goin to be forced to do something. They arent going to be able to get away with just standing behind the fact that it wasnt their fault.

WDWGuide

Pete C said:
The happiest place on Earth should NOT be home to a ride even capable of killing someone.

1.) Nevermind - I don't want this taken the wrong way

2.) Even Peter Pan almost killed a guy recently. Virtually everything at WDW has the potential to be deadly. What es me off is that people think that, just because the big sign above the road says "Disney", they can leave all sanity behind and enjoy delusions of immortality. Please note that I am not alledging this in this particular case, but it does happen all too often.

I hope they got to the bottom of this and if the ride is at fault, do what is necessary. I hope not, but safety comes first (especially when it is NOT the fault of guest stupidity)

MrNonacho

Premium Member
In my opinion, the biggest problem with M:S is that many, many people have no idea what they are getting into. A guest that would never in a million years ride something like the Hulk at IOA might just saunter into M:S without a clue. You have no idea how many times a day I get asked, "Does this ride spin?" or "How do they make it feel like that?" They are asking this AFTER they have seen the ready room show, which shows EXACTLY how the ride moves and creates the forces.

When people ask me about the ride before they enter the building, I would say that about half the time they will turn away and not ride. These are the smart folks. The ones who actually want to know what they are going to be getting themselves into, and not just entering the building because it's the next number on the guidemap.

It's not that the ride is too intense. It's that people are not realizing that it may not be right for them. It's just not as obvious as something like a roller coaster.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Body Wars had the same problem - people would be like "It's a simulator, it doesn't move right?" and CM's would have to point out the blinking sign that says "sharp drops, sudden turns." This usually repeated about 3-4 times per guest that asked.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
PhotoDave219 said:
There are 19, Count'em, 19 warning signs. (Source - AP)

I was only counting the white warning signs that include that particular passage, and are in a place that is viewable by all guests. I didn't count the yellow motion sickness signs, the video loops in the queue, the preshows, or the sign on the other side of the HP lounge door.

Pete C

WDWGuide said:
2.) Even Peter Pan almost killed a guy recently. Virtually everything at WDW has the potential to be deadly. What es me off is that people think that, just because the big sign above the road says "Disney", they can leave all sanity behind and enjoy delusions of immortality. Please note that I am not alledging this in this particular case, but it does happen all too often.

I know what you are getting at, but the fact remains that MS is not Peter Pan, and it will kill more people if it is left in its current state with its current warnings and operations. And, the rides at Disney should not be of the variety that, if ridden correctly, can kill you based on the fact that they are THAT intense. Most ride deaths are due to riders being idiots, riders being too small, large or tall for a ride, or ride ops making mistakes. Sheer intensity of a ride has rarely killed anyone.

jaredliu

Pete C said:
I think it is safe to say that the Mission was a big fat failure. I can't believe what I am reading in here. People trying to justify the ride based on warning screens after something like this. Like everybody knows about conditions that this ride could possibly affect? From what I am reading here, there are some people that think MS is tame. If you think that, then you are in the VAST minority. I go on rollercoaster trips every year to ride the biggest and fastest coasters, and let me tell you no ride has EVER made me feel like MS does. As for the gravitron comment...I've done several gravitrons and none of them make me feel like MS does either. That said, I thought MS was really cool, and I loved the intensity, however the feeling I had afterward was not one I want to experience again. I didn't get "sick", rather I just felt weird and out of sorts for a few hours. I have read this from countless other riders. I was planning on doing it again in June...not anymore. It's not worth it at this point.

Bottom line...this ride really has no business in a Disney park. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't. They took a gamble on making a realistic launch and space flight simulation, and they LOST. The ride feels wrong. Apparently, you should not be staring at a screen while being spun at high speeds. So, if it isn't the G's then it's the implementation of the screen plus the Gs. Whatever it is, it doesn't work correctly. I can't even believe the ride was approved the way it is. Seriously, who tested this ride? Astronauts?!? I mean, come on, have you ever, EVER heard of a ride that gets more people screwed up than this ride? I read reviews all the time on thrill ride sites about people getting totally messed up from this ride. I repeat: thrill ride sites. These are people, like myself, that seek thrills, and many of them get sick on MS. Is it worth having this thing in the park? Even if the ride itself didn't necessarily "kill" these people, they certainly wouldn't drop dead riding anything else at Disney. MS is just flat-out not appropriate for WDW. I honestly believe that MS is a way more unsettling ride than even Millennium Force or Top Thrill Dragster, two rides that would send many people heading for the hills. Those rides have a built-in intimidation factor that probably helps avoid issues like this. Here and there you will here about a rollercoaster killing someone due to a pre-existing condition like this, but MS has killed 2 people now. And people think the warnings should be enough to justify what this ride is doing? This isn't Six Flags...IT'S DISNEY WORLD!!!!! The happiest place on Earth should NOT be home to a ride even capable of killing someone. Also, people seem to be forgetting that several other elderly folks were sent to the hospital when the ride first opened. Does the park need this negative PR? A ride that is now known to have 2 people die on it? Folks, I hate to break this to you, but MS as you know it is done...it's over...see ya.
I am sure you will feel mad that it turned out that nothing changes to M:S at last.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The only other WDW attraction that has ever killed anyone from intensity was Body Wars, and it had it's film changed after that happened.

STGRhost

The happiest place on Earth should NOT be home to a ride even capable of killing someone.

And yet, at Disneyland, people have been killed waiting in line for a boat ride.
And at the Studios, we had an incident where an older guest had a heart attack sitting on a bench, waiting for his family to get done with ToT.
Sometimes, death happens.

The bottom line is Disney is goin to be forced to do something. They arent going to be able to get away with just standing behind the fact that it wasnt their fault.
Actually, they absolutely could stand behind that fact, provided that it is a fact. If the ride is once again found to not be at fault, why should they change it? I'm not sure that people who frequent this board are able to judge how the general public feels about this ride - I doubt anyone I work with will even mention it tomorrow (they haven't any other time Disney has been in the news, and they know I worked there.) I'd guess most people have forgotten about the other death on M:S until it was mentioned in the news today. In another week, when this story is only in the local news (if at all) how many guests will still be talking about it?

If anything, they may need to change the way they warn the public - others here have mentioned how they sometimes ride things that are not reccomended for them (due to high blood pressure, etc). Heck, my dad does stuff like that. In a place like WDW, most people probably don't even notice all of the signs at M:S because they have signs similar to those everywhere you go. They assume, therefore, that the ride is going to be similarly intense. Maybe that's where the problem is? - the RIDE is so different, they might want to make the warnings very different, too. But I don't see them spending the money without a huge issue made out of this first.

Most ride deaths are due to riders being idiots, riders being too small, large or tall for a ride, or ride ops making mistakes.
I emphasised this quote because, really, how are those physical issues that different from the
issues that might be affected/aggravated by M:S? There is little we can do to control them, we usually are aware of them when we get on a ride...I don't understand how there's a difference.

perculata

Pete C said:
I know what you are getting at, but the fact remains that MS is not Peter Pan, and it will kill more people if it is left in its current state with its current warnings and operations. And, the rides at Disney should not be of the variety that, if ridden correctly, can kill you based on the fact that they are THAT intense. Most ride deaths are due to riders being idiots, riders being too small, large or tall for a ride, or ride ops making mistakes. Sheer intensity of a ride has rarely killed anyone.

The sheer intensity of MS has killed no one. We are not sure of the exact condition of this woman, but we know she had high blood pressure, and Disney warned her not to ride. Wheter or not the warning is serious or just a way for Disney to cover their butts is not the issue. The boy who died on thie ride was FOUR years old and had an enlarged heart. The ride may have aggrevated both of these conditions, but in know way did the sheer intensity of the ride kill anybody.

WDWGuide

Pete C said:

I do not know what their options are at this point. Even if the ride is perfectly fine, they may not get over the negative PR over it. People will always ride the ride although they KNOW that they have a condition that puts them in danger, and a preshow consisting of a mandatory health check is probably not feasible.

On a related note, I wish the media were just as zealous about road and car safety than about these sort of things.

will_rogers

My thoughts and prayers to the family of the woman who passed.

With that said:
________ happens. Unfortunaltely ________ stinks. Even worse is that people are stupid. People tried to blame Disney for sinus and pressure problems after going through the hydrolators at seabase alpha. People aren't going to take the time to research, care, or may just be too ignorant to realize that there may not be anything wrong with the ride and unfortunately due to that reason alone, things may most likely change.

Let's extend a previously stated example: If i go on Montu and go temporarily blind and 2 other people do over the course of a few months, does that mean anything is wrong with the ride? It is possible that whatever may have casued any death/illness (to anyone) could've been brought on by any other ride. People get spun around, they get sick. IT HAPPENS. Look at Gravitron at the fairs, more people vomit to high hell on that thing than any other ride but there is nothing wrong with it.

I went on the drag racing ride at OldTown, had a headache, felt like hell the rest of the day. My friend went on it 4 times. My point here is that just because things happen doesn't mean a ride is to blame. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN A PERSON IS TO BLAME EITHER.

I used to work with IMAX technology (ie BTTF at Universal, Soarin') at attractions and know that if you alter a ride vehicle movements, speed, etc and it does not match the video perfectly, you will indeed get sick. MS isn't IMAX but it is the same principle. If you change it, it won't be right so I doubt that they can "slow it down" or alter it too much.

No company is perfect but Disney is damn good at what they do (except with Nemo at AK, ?). Afer $100 mil spent I think they will find a creative remedy with making amends in some people's eyes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom