Not good but saw it coming

justducky78

This discussion (kind of) reminds me of the "cajun cliffhanger" at Six Flags that closed down quite awhile ago. It would spin around really fast and the floor would drop...you would stick to the wall from the centrifugal force.

I loved it - it was the best ride but not for the faint of heart or those with health problems. Many, many people got sick on it (gross, you can imagine what happened) and two girls eventually got really hurt (feet/legs got caught between wall and floor) and they closed it down. Everyone was sad to see it go.

The girls didn't die and the ride wasn't (from what I've read about MS) nearly as intense, so we can't really compare, but there was some question about who was really at fault. Because there are always people who seem to push the limit. And, some people just don't heed the warnings...

I'm NOT saying the woman on MS is at fault, or Disney for that matter -- some rides are just more intense and/or effect people differently...and then there are those who just ignore their health or the warnings. Not good.

It does seem that people seem to get more sick on the spinning rides vs the coasters, etc.

How many people have ridden MS since opening...??

EDIT - sorry, had to fix my grammar a bit.

CaptainMichael

Disney does not control when your time comes, that is God and/or free will (depending on what you believe). Every move you make in life is risk. Whether or not it is major depends on what you are doing.

I will continue to ride Mission: Space and enjoy it for the technological marvel that it is. I will probably never go to space unless I'm in a Disney park, and that is what makes it special for me. I can think of no grander way to spend the last moments of my life than with my family in Walt Disney World on a trip to Mars.

T-1MILLION

It was just one of those random freak accidents. Sorry for the family. Hate to think that this was how they found out that that member of the family had a health condiiton. My spympathy to everyone involved.

-Preston

imagineer boy

MrNonacho said:
WESH-TV reported that the woman had high <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=blood%20pressure" onmouseover="window.status='blood pressure'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">blood pressure</a>.

Well, there ya go! All of the intense rides at WDW have warnings regarding people with high blood pressure from rideing. So I think we should hold our judgement and wait beforeing makeing statements like "I hope they close down that death trap of a ride down."

TarzanRocked99-

In this day in age everyone seems to want to point the blame on someone else and never take responsibility for their own actions. If like the news said ends up to be true and she did have high blood pressure she should not have ridden. I mean for everyone who has been on Mission Space, there are 1002 safety warnings. People with health conditions should not ride MS it is an intense ride.

I feel horrible for her family, but who is saying that the same thing would not have happened had she been on the Hulk or Dueling Dragons. The truth is Disney makes headlines and bad news from Disney is like crack for the press. They will milk this for all it is worth. MS is a great ride and it has done wonders for Epcot attendance, I think it will probably be open tomorrow as usual.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I have to say that the news reports from WESH and WKMG were actually pretty fair. The WKMG report even went so far as to have some comments from guests that had ridden today and yesterday. They even aired their comments on how there are plenty of warnings before you board.

The Fox report was just some talking head rambling on about a DEATH at DISNEY and had absolutely no information.

basas

ISTCNavigator57 said:
How many people have died on the Matterhorn? People keep riding. Deaths on rides don't keep people from riding, especially if it turns out to be the woman's fault. They would never demolish the ride. They MIGHT tone it down, but would more likely just add a couple more warnings.

There is a difference between deaths where riders do things such as stand up and fall out (which, if i'm not mistaking, are the type of events Matterhorn's deaths are). Stuff like the train coming off the track (BTMRR DL), and the ride itself causing death (perhaps MS) come off completely different because it is not a result of the rider's stupidity. (At least, this is how the public will see it).

I'm not saying it is (or it isn't) the ride's fault...but there is a large difference in the public eye from someone coming off a ride sick/dead, and kids standing up or getting out of a boat on an attracion and dieing as a result.

Pongo

imagineer boy said:
Well, there ya go! All of the intense rides at WDW have warnings regarding people with high blood pressure from rideing. So I think we should hold our judgement and wait beforeing makeing statements like "I hope they close down that death trap of a ride down."

No. There ya don't go.

It hasn't even been 24 hours. Let's not turn speculation into fact quite yet.

lnsemsf

Once while riding Montu at Busch Gardens, after the first drop and the loop after, i went blind. My vision tunneled down to blackness, and for the entire rest of the ride, until it came to a stop I was completely and truly blind. Now, I went on the ride without having had any food that day, and on like 6 hours of sleep. Whose fault is that, mine or the ride? I've been on it 20 times before, and 20 times after, and never gone blind before, or again. I could have complained when I got off, saying the ride cause me to go temporarily blind, called for medical assistance, and got the ride shut down. You know what they would find, I was in bad physical shape, probably had low blood sugar, and that combined with high g-forces caused my blindness, and that the ride was functioning properly. Instead i went and got something to eat, and eventually went on the ride again. Now granted, my sight came back, and I clearly wasn't killed, but seriously, it's my body's fault, not the ride. I chose to ride it, I knew i was tired and hungry and hot, and i knew it was intense. I gambled, and while it was risky, I came out even in the end. The ride does not need to be touched, people need to go to the friggin doctor for checkups. 2 final words sum this whole thing up... personal responsibility.

imagineer boy

basas said:
There is a difference between deaths where riders do things such as stand up and fall out (which, if i'm not mistaking, are the type of events Matterhorn's deaths are). Stuff like the train coming off the track (BTMRR DL), and the ride itself causing death (perhaps MS) come off completely different because it is not a result of the rider's stupidity. (At least, this is how the public will see it).

I'm not saying it is (or it isn't) the ride's fault...but there is a large difference in the public eye from someone coming off a ride sick/dead, and kids standing up or getting out of a boat on an attracion and dieing as a result.

If you read Mouse Tales by David Koening, he reports of several deaths of people with pre existing conditions that died on the matterhorn. One old man slumped dead over his two grand daughters after getting a heart attack on the ride.

MAF

Oh please just because you have high blood pressure doesn't mean you can't ride a rollercoaster or anything. I'm a perfectly healthy 22 y/o and I have had high blood pressure b4, and would I ever think that I would die by riding a ride? I don't think so.... It seems to me that a bunch of you are die hard Disney freaks who think that Disney could never do anything wrong. I'm not saying blame the ride or Disney, but certainly you can't blame this poor woman for riding because of high blood pressure. Give me a break...

Pongo

TurnipHead said:
Oh please just because you have high blood pressure doesn't mean you can't ride a rollercoaster or anything. I'm a perfectly healthy 22 y/o and I have had high blood pressure b4, and would I ever think that I would die by riding a ride? I don't think so.... It seems to me that a bunch of you are die hard Disney freaks who think that Disney could never do anything wrong. I'm not saying blame the ride or Disney, but certainly you can't blame this poor woman for riding because of high blood pressure. Give me a break...

So Disney shouldn't put multiple warnings in multiple formats throughout the entrance to M:S saying that if you have high blood pressure, you shouldn't ride?

If you read that knowing you have high blood pressure, and ride it anyway, you are taking your personal safety into your own hands.

basas

imagineer boy said:
If you read Mouse Tales by David Koening, he reports of several deaths of people with pre existing conditions that died on the matterhorn. One old man slumped dead over his two grand daughters after getting a heart attack on the ride.

Well...if that is true then OK...but really, Matterhorn is pretty darn tame by modern roller coaster standards. If people were dieing regularly on Matterhorn from heart attacks and such, you'd think we'd be seeing these things all the time on most other roller coasters (which are much more intense than Matterhorn), but frankly, we don't. (not to say that we haven't, but it's not really a regular occurance on most rides). Mission:Space, unlike Matterhorn, IS considered an 'intense' experience and we have now had 2 deaths in little over 6 months. Even though the riders may have had pre-exsisting conditions, what other ride have we seen this on?

MAF

Pongo said:
So Disney shouldn't put multiple warnings in multiple formats throughout the entrance to M:S saying that if you have high blood pressure, you shouldn't ride?

If you read that knowing you have high blood pressure, and ride it anyway, you are taking your personal safety into your own hands.
I never read any or saw any signs saying don't ride if you have high blood pressure. But anyways maybe that is why I felt extreme pressure on my chest while I rode it. I also felt really ill afterwards. Anyways I said I will never ride it again and these deaths just reinforce that choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom