Not good but saw it coming

cbj1979

I'm generally a lurker on this board and don't post that much, but I have to put my 2 cents in here. First of all, my condolences to the family of the woman. I couldn't imagine being in the "happiest place on Earth" and having a loved one die so suddenly. However, I have to say were going a little overboard with the talk of the ride needing to be shut down. EVERY ride at Disney that a person steps foot on there is a chance that something bad can happen, not just Mission: Space. On my last trip in october, I finally got to ride M:S, now before I rode, I had these horrible thoughts in my head of thinking of the little kid that had died and how so many had gotten sick from it. But after riding it, I couldn't wait to ride again. In fact, it was the only ride that I rode a second time on my trip. Sad part is, that my favorite ride before this was Space Mountain, but after riding it just once, I felt so bad I couldn't ride anything the rest of the night.

Basically to make a long story short, Anything we do, we're taking a chance. Everytime we get behind the wheel of a car, step on a plane, or riding our favorite amusement ride. Any thrill ride could cause adverse reactions from an unknown prexisting condition, much like the 4 yr old and most likely the woman. There is absolutly no such thing as the 100% safe Thrill Ride. Accidents can and do happen, and I don't think that we want a WDW full of small worlds, and rio del tiempo's.

Now after saying all this, don't get me wrong. If they find that M:S is dangerous even for healthy people w/o prexisting conditions, then yes, it should definately be shut down and re-tooled

OK....I'll get off my soapbox now....back to my usual lurking

CaliSurfer182

tiggerific418 said:
I realize that every ride you go on is a risk. I also realize that driving a car or taking a bath is a risk, but to me those are necessary risks. Riding M:S isnt necessary for me.

It is apparent that you are making a well thought out analysis on the possible risks that you are being presented with, and then using this information to make a risk decision. That's great, it's basically what everybody else should be doing (all the time). However that shouldn't imply that you have the ability to make that decision for every one else.
If the ride is to intense, appears to be to intense, and/or it could possibly be to intense for you, stay off of it.
Some might feel that it is a necessary risk to be challenged, thrilled, exhilirated, and amazed.....that should be left up to them, and not the decision of others.

If a person died as a result of a movie being to scary or to intense should that movie be sanctioned and or discontinued for all other public view (who meet what ever restrictions that are put into place)?

jaymatal

Mission: SPACE should not be adjusted. It's a great ride and is thrilling. I ride it about 6 times every time I've been at EPCOT. It's not an intense ride at all.

Austin1

All I can say is...it better not be closed when I'm there in 3 weeks! You are all very close minded if you think the ride is a flop, just becase sick people can't ride it. If people have those conditions they shouldn't even be in the park IMO. On top of all that, do any of you know how many people die on non-disney rides a year?...ALOT It's not DISNEY'S proplem, Mission:Space is an excelent ride!

Pete C

You guys are missing the whole point. Of course people die of heat exhaustion, driving in cars to get to WDW, etc. Um, ok so what. WDW can't do anything about that. People might drown in a pool at one of the resorts. Ok, so what does that have to do with MS killing someone while riding it in the proper manner? MS is a freaking G-force trainer. Everybody seems to think this ride is so perfectly designed and whatnot. Are you telling me that there is no way WDI overestimated the general public's tolerance for such a ride?

Let's take a step back from the insulting counter arguements like people dying from the flu while at Disney World and how that somehow is the same thing, and take a look at 1 hard question: Can WDW continue to operate MS is the exact same way that it has, considering that it has led to 2 deaths under this operation? You know what...it won't even matter once they determine that the rider had a condition, which is obvious that will happen. Even though the ride is still well within acceptable levels of tolerance according to research, it still won't matter. Right now to the public this ride is going to be viewed as a serious health risk. After separate incidents on Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE where heavy riders were literally launched from its lapbars....what happened? OTSRs were added. Were the people that rode them too heavy? Yes. Was it the park's fault? Maybe...the ride ops should have never let them on. But the bottom line is that something was done regardless. WDW has to do something at this point. The public will not accept anything less, especially from a high-profile park that is in the spotlight. If they don't, MS WILL kill more people in its current form and operations until nobody will ride it anymore...that is an undeniable truth. So, the ride will either be ruined by WDI, or the ride will ruin itself by the media and the public over incidents like this. Take your pick.

megaelch

just my 2 cents..

i do read this boards daily but do not post regularly ( mainly on DIS ) but i must say they should close down M:S and see what has to be done before another incident occurs. I personally ride every coaster, thrill ride .. you name it and i have been to Disney World about 25 times over the last 15 years but i never felt so bad and had rapid eye movement while riding like on M:S ( did try on 3 vacations ) and will not ride it ever again with the current ride programm . This does not happen to me on any other Orlando thrill ride , whether it is a coaster a simulator like Star tours or TOT ...
I think it has something to do with the sidewards movement, constant G's for more than a few seconds and the sync with the HD screens in the capsule ..
I think it can be fixed, but this might take more than just slowing down the ride .. and at the end it is just a thrill ride .. there are plenty of more at WDW and Universal ... so i can live without it ...
Stephan

CAPTAIN HOOK

1) My condolences to the family.

2) I consider myself to be a healthy, fit male. OK, you could consider me to be slightly over weight at 17 stone, but that weight isn't extreme on a 6'6" frame. I have no other health issues (heart, head etc all functioning normally) I have never smoked and I only drink socially and never to excess.

All things considered, I am having big reservations about (me or any of my family) riding M:S - I'm afraid that the ride just has too much bad publicity.

AngryEyes

FYI, I knew nothing about this until I came on here tonight to catch up and I consider myself to be a fairly well-informed person. I wouldn't expect some kind of massive PR nightmare or public backlash, because the vast majority of people probably don't even know it happened. Those that did hear about it most likely had a fleeting thought of how awful it was and promptly forgot all about it.

We were at WDW last year when the 4-year old died and not one of my friends or relatives so much as mentioned it to me when we got back, which implies to me that if they even heard about it at all, it didn't make too much of an impression on them.

As with anything related to WDW and all other things Disney, I think we need to always remember that we care infinitely more than the average Joe.

DarkImage4

I don't get involved in these conversations, but this is selfish and wrong. I think M:S is a great attraction, but I will not let that cloud the reality that there "could" be something wrong with it.

Austin1 said:
All I can say is...it better not be closed when I'm there in 3 weeks! You are all very close minded if you think the ride is a flop, just becase sick people can't ride it. If people have those conditions they shouldn't even be in the park IMO. On top of all that, do any of you know how many people die on non-disney rides a year?...ALOT It's not DISNEY'S proplem, Mission:Space is an excelent ride!

Just because of the tone of this post, I almost hope it is closed for your trip, whether related to this incident or not. Opinions are great, but this just comes axross as self-centered and heartless.

Thoughts & prayers to the family....

timoteo

Wait to find out the cause of Death before doing anything. I am sure that is what Disney must do. If they tweak the ride down or close it they may be accepting responsibility too soon.

I rode misson space 6 times in a row one right after the other about two years ago. I was 40 in normal/good health. I felt a little dizzy after 5th ride I must admit. I felt much worse on one spin of the teacups and recently the newly upgraded Space Mountain at Disneyland with the great moving stars made me a little more dizzy on one ride than 6 Mission space's in a row. Go figure.

I think MS is in danger now. I trust disney will do the right thing once they find out the cause of death.

AMartin767

Pete C said:
You guys are missing the whole point. Of course people die of heat exhaustion, driving in cars to get to WDW, etc. Um, ok so what. WDW can't do anything about that. People might drown in a pool at one of the resorts. Ok, so what does that have to do with MS killing someone while riding it in the proper manner? MS is a freaking G-force trainer. Everybody seems to think this ride is so perfectly designed and whatnot. Are you telling me that there is no way WDI overestimated the general public's tolerance for such a ride?

Let's take a step back from the insulting counter arguements like people dying from the flu while at Disney World and how that somehow is the same thing, and take a look at 1 hard question: Can WDW continue to operate MS is the exact same way that it has, considering that it has led to 2 deaths under this operation? You know what...it won't even matter once they determine that the rider had a condition, which is obvious that will happen. Even though the ride is still well within acceptable levels of tolerance according to research, it still won't matter. Right now to the public this ride is going to be viewed as a serious health risk. After separate incidents on Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE where heavy riders were literally launched from its lapbars....what happened? OTSRs were added. Were the people that rode them too heavy? Yes. Was it the park's fault? Maybe...the ride ops should have never let them on. But the bottom line is that something was done regardless. WDW has to do something at this point. The public will not accept anything less, especially from a high-profile park that is in the spotlight. If they don't, MS WILL kill more people in its current form and operations until nobody will ride it anymore...that is an undeniable truth. So, the ride will either be ruined by WDI, or the ride will ruin itself by the media and the public over incidents like this. Take your pick.

I agree with your statements. Though there is no direct evidence of the ride being the direct cause of death and I do not believe it to be the case, it has aparently been responsible for agrivating pre-existing conditions. I do feel that Disney should step back and reconsider the ride in it's current operating form. I think the more important point made in your post is the fact that a continued series of incidents on this ride WILL ultimately affect its popularity. Personally, I have never ridden it and I never will for two reasons:

1. I do not wish to be nauseous during my vaction and
2. I would rather have one ride on Horizons than a thousand on MS. (And I love Rollercoasters and thrill rides of all types.)

wannab@dis

AMartin767 said:
I agree with your statements. Though there is no direct evidence of the ride being the direct cause of death and I do not believe it to be the case, it has aparently been responsible for agrivating pre-existing conditions. I do feel that Disney should step back and reconsider the ride in it's current operating form.
You do not believe M:S was the cause, but it was responsible for agrivating a condition? I guess they send out a CM to personally every person to get on a ride. Walking out into the SUN agrivates many conditions. Should Disney be responsible for the people that don't wear enough sun screen and then get sick in the park?

Society needs to stop looking for scapegoats and blaming others. Take personal responsibility for personal choices!

EDIT: I see you edited your post... so I think the addition makes it clear WHY you made your points.
AMartin767 said:
I would rather have one ride on Horizons than a thousand on MS. (And I love Rollercoasters and thrill rides of all types.)

LPK

M:S does not seem to fit into Disney, imo. I just do not see how a ride with so many warning signs can go into a place that is supposedly 'filled' with magic. Fair enough that it has health warnings, but not everyone knows about their own health problems until it hits them in the face. Do parents really want their children going on a ride that has caused two deaths? There could be a health problem with any of us and we do not know it, and even though it is not Disneys fault, they still get affected. As i have said, imagine what some parents will be thinking when they are going to WDW and they walk past M:S. They're either going to think "That ride is dangerous. I am not letting my family go on that" or they will think "It is not as bas as the media make out". If this ride does get shut down, i reckon it will be the media who are mostly to blame by scaring parents and kids not to go on it.

dxwwf3

As long as the ride stays open, I will feel 1,000% safe on it. I've ridden it about 40 times and I've never even felt the slightest effects afterwards.

And yes I agree with AMartin767 that I would rather have Horizons there, but that really makes to difference to this situation. I still love Mission Space and it would suck if it has to go soon.

I guess I'll never get my dream of Disney making of the centrifuges more intense, eh? It's a shame all of this has happened.

fers31

LPK said:
M:S does not seem to fit into Disney, imo. I just do not see how a ride with so many warning signs can go into a place that is supposedly 'filled' with magic. Fair enough that it has health warnings, but not everyone knows about their own health problems until it hits them in the face. Do parents really want their children going on a ride that has caused two deaths? There could be a health problem with any of us and we do not know it, and even though it is not Disneys fault, they still get affected. As i have said, imagine what some parents will be thinking when they are going to WDW and they walk past M:S. They're either going to think "That ride is dangerous. I am not letting my family go on that" or they will think "It is not as bas as the media make out". If this ride does get shut down, i reckon it will be the media who are mostly to blame by scaring parents and kids not to go on it.

Agree completely!!! MS is the only ride I've even gotten off of and saw more than 7 kids sitting on the floor, ghostly white, with their head between their knees!! My wife has NEVER gotten sick on a ride but she needed to relax for around a half hour before moving to another ride. Crappy way to spend a vacation.

MSTINKHERBELL01

I hope that the family can find peace soon...It's hard..It really is.:(

As far as the ride remaining closed or taken out of the park...if it's found to be a ride problem...I'm for it...If not, I say keep it. There are risks with every ride. I know that I rode it once and hated it...My partner rides it over and freaking over again and has no issues at all. I don't know, while this all is very sad...I don't know...whatever.

God Bless the family

EpcotServo

This is sad. I really think Disney will do something with this ride. Let's look at it from their view.
-two people have died on a ride.
-caused bad press, resulting in most guests thinking it's too intense for them.
-not many people riding because of this.
-we spent over $100 million on this ride.
-not many people buying merch at the shop. As soon as they get off, they want to move on.
The bad press this ride has gotten may spell doom for this ride. Mainly because the press has scared so many people into not riding. You can tell them anything, and they'll still see it as "two people died on this ride. It must be scary! I'll go see that turtle talking thing instead, or get a skip the lines pass for Soaring." Lines were short as it is. I don't think that they'll be enough of a attendence or profit from the shop to keep it running. Disney will do something. We just have to wait quietly and see.

kcnole

How many deaths are acceptable before Disney decides it has to go? 2? 3? 4? 10?

I don't know the answer to that. I'm afraid that MS fate may already be on the downward trend. Either Disney will close it or modify it significantly, or the public perception will eventually kill it. It's already operating well below capacity at most points (from what I've read posted by a few CM's who work that ride). This may just make it worse. If nobody rides it, then it'll go away as well.

Either way, I think it's on its last legs. That's sad for an attraction that cost so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom