Not good but saw it coming

dxwwf3

maxime29 said:
I also believe we will see a "more tame" M:S soon.

I think that would be a shame. But it could actually happen.

If M:S is open in June, I might have to take some extra training missions.

lownalo

I hate saying this but something is going to have to change about that ride, you can't have 2 people dying on a ride because of it's intensity, it's just not the Disney I grew up with. I feel horrible for the family, something must change.

beyondthepalace

Original Poster
my thoughts go to the family too. But maybe we shouldn't make a huge deal out of this. Besides Haunted Mansion has 999 dead people in it :brick::hurl:

wannab@dis

jaredliu said:
A woman's death just gave you an excuse to bash M:S. I think the reason you want to see M:S closed/changed is because you hated the ride, not the woman's death.
Gotta agree with you. That's how I'm reading his posts also.

dxer07002 said:
I for one now hope M:S gets canned and a better, less boring and more enjoyable ride takes its place....
dxer07002 said:
I went on once, will not again cause, in my opinion, it stinks.... And from what I am hearing about wait times, even when Epcot is busy, others think the ride stinks too...
dxer07002 said:
2 deaths, numerous illnesses, somethign is wrong with this attraction and maybe Disney needs to look at it... Sooner or later they are going to be held responsible for something...

While it's a horrible tradgedy... there's not enough information for any of us to be able to form an opinion at this time. There's been deaths on thrill rides many times and it will continue to happen. Sometimes the cause is the ride. Sometimes it's due to a pre-existing condition. Sometimes it just takes time to figure out what happened. We need to wait until the people in a place to look at the facts investigate all possible conclusions.

For those blaming the attraction or blaming the lady, give it a rest. At this time both conclusions have very little merit. Furthermore, anyone using this tradgedy as a bullypulpit to get rid of M:S... well, that's just downright despicable.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
High blood pressure is extremely common though - it can occur during the day at anytime in your life from stress or other stimulus, to anyone.

Saying you shouldn't ride an attraction with basic "high blood pressure" is like saying "Don't ride if you're left handed."

Heart disease (typically a more sever version of high blood pressure) and other major warnings are understandable.. but HBP is so common it's almost silly.

Pongo

TurnipHead said:
I never read any or saw any signs saying don't ride if you have high blood pressure. But anyways maybe that is why I felt extreme pressure on my chest while I rode it. I also felt really ill afterwards. Anyways I said I will never ride it again and these deaths just reinforce that choice.

They're there. As another poster said, ten warnings before the actual safety spiel. If that's not overkill, I don't know what is. In this case, overkill isn't working, obviously.

BTW - You're supposed to feel extreme pressure on your chest. That's the point of the ride :wave:

Connor002

Please, allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute.

Mission Space is not nearly as intense in terms of actually forces acting upon the body as compared to other thrill rides. Most of it's intensity lies not in the system's settings, but in the execution. It's physiological thrill. How many warning did you receive? How much hype did you hear? More than enough, I'll say, but in reality, M:S is just a dressed-up centrifuge, and a rather tame one at that (as far as centrifuges go).

Let's take this example: Have you ever seen or ridden the attractions at your local fair, carnival, or amusement park? Well, they go by many names ("Hell Hole," "Gravitron," "Starship 2000"), but the concept is the same: achievement of hypergravity, otherwise known as increased pressure on the body in the form of gravitational forces, measured in G forces. Now, let's look at this logically: M:S is a "death trap," so obviously it must be the most intense centrifuge for civilians!

Well, no. NASA reports that Gravitorns have been documented at as much as 3.0 g. Other sources suggest up to 4.0 g. Mission: Space has been confirmed to reach no higher than 2.0 g. For reference, Space Launches are around 3.2 g at launch. (And just to thorough out another interesting fact, a car at 30 MPH running into a tree would be approximately 30 g.)

Yes, that Gravitorn down at the fair could be as intense as a space launch.
Mission: Space not only stays far below this mark, it most likely was/is held to the highest standards in the industry.

So, what is it that makes M:S different? It's Disney! The Big Dog! (Or perhaps more appropriately) The Big Cheese! *In 1998 there were over 20 serious, reported accidents at amusement parks, but guess which one got the most attention? "One dead, three injured after Disneyland accidents," that's what.

Now then... I think I've rambled enough, and I'm sure much of what's above could have been stated better, but I'm afraid I tire.

And, I case I missed anything, here are the sites I backed up my facts with:
http://exploration.nasa.gov/articles/07feb_stronggravity.html
http://www.ride-extravaganza.com/rides/gravitron/
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/carcr2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee_force
http://www.rideaccidents.com/1998.html#dec24*

*Not completely accurate; does not include every accident

dxwwf3

mousermerf said:
High blood pressure is extremely common though - it can occur during the day at anytime in your life from stress or other stimulus, to anyone.

Saying you shouldn't ride an attraction with basic "high blood pressure" is like saying "Don't ride if you're left handed."

Heart disease (typically a more sever version of high blood pressure) and other major warnings are understandable.. but HBP is so common it's almost silly.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but couldn't put it into words.

MAF

mousermerf said:

Exactly! Great post!

Pongo

Connor002 said:
Please, allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute.

Mission Space is not nearly as intense in terms of actually forces acting upon the body as compared to other thrill rides. Most of it's intensity lies not in the system's settings, but in the execution. It's physiological thrill. How many warning did you receive? How much hype did you hear? More than enough, I'll say, but in reality, M:S is just a dressed-up centrifuge, and a rather tame one at that (as far as centrifuges go).

Let's take this example: Have you ever seen or ridden the attractions at your local fair, carnival, or amusement park? Well, they go by many names ("Hell Hole," "Gravitron," "Starship 2000"), but the concept is the same: achievement of hypergravity, otherwise known as increased pressure on the body in the form of gravitational forces, measured in G forces. Now, let's look at this logically: M:S is a "death trap," so obviously it must be the most intense centrifuge for civilians!

Well, no. NASA reports that Gravitorns have been documented at as much as 3.0 g. Other sources suggest up to 4.0 g. Mission: Space has been confirmed to reach no higher than 2.0 g. For reference, Space Launches are around 3.2 g at launch. (And just to thorough out another interesting fact, a car at 30 MPH running into a tree would be approximately 30 g.)

Yes, that Gravitorn down at the fair could be as intense as a space launch.
Mission: Space not only stays far below this mark, it most likely was/is held to the highest standards in the industry.

So, what is it that makes M:S different? It's Disney! The Big Dog! (Or perhaps more appropriately) The Big Cheese! *In 1998 there were over 20 serious, reported accidents at amusement parks, but guess which one got the most attention? "One dead, three injured after Disneyland accidents," that's what.

Now then... I think I've rambled enough, and I'm sure much of what's above could have been stated better, but I'm afraid I tire.

And, I case I missed anything, here are the sites I backed up my facts with:
http://exploration.nasa.gov/articles/07feb_stronggravity.html
http://www.ride-extravaganza.com/rides/gravitron/
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/carcr2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee_force
http://www.rideaccidents.com/1998.html#dec24*

*Not completely accurate; does not include every accident

Very well done, Connor.

CaptainMichael

TurnipHead said:
I never read any or saw any signs saying don't ride if you have high blood pressure. But anyways maybe that is why I felt extreme pressure on my chest while I rode it. I also felt really ill afterwards. Anyways I said I will never ride it again and these deaths just reinforce that choice.
This isn't a Mission: Space sign, but this is from Expedition Everest:

n23431586_31385835_2899.jpg

wannab@dis

Connor... I'm not quoting you, but wanted to add a little to your post about G forces.

Many coasters have higher than 4G's. However, those G's are not 'sustained' and actually do not affect you as much as the sustained 2G's. I'll have to do some searching, but I've read some articles about the effects of sustained G's. While M:S doesn't have HIGH G's, it does have sustained G's.... (of course, this is true because space launches do also -- hence the reason for the intense training and a big emphasis on the health of astronauts.)

Pongo

wannab@dis said:
Connor... I'm not quoting you, but wanted to add a little to your post about G forces.

Many coasters have higher than 4G's. However, those G's are not 'sustained' and actually do not affect you as much as the sustained 2G's. I'll have to do some searching, but I've read some articles about the effects of sustained G's. While M:S doesn't have HIGH G's, it does have sustained G's.... (of course, this is true because space launches do also -- hence the reason for the intense training and a big emphasis on the health of astronauts.)

There was a series in the Florida Today a few months back that was all about G forces and the safety of central Florida roller caosters (though they mainly focused on rides like Mission: Space).

To be honest, the articles were terrible. I actually had to write in a letter to the editor to correct much of the information in the articles. It was even published. I may be able to find a link to the articles.

EDIT: I can't.

basas

I'll agree with you that it is true the media goes out of their way to attack the industry leader (Disney) with every accident…but this isn't likely to change, and does Disney really want to deal with a death (even if from a pre-existing condition that is simply triggered by the 'physiological' or 'actual' forces on the ride....after all, it doesn't really matter what type of force it is, the fact is they are causing deaths…) every few months?

Connor002

wannab@dis said:

I'm well aware of that, but tried to avoided it due to the fact that sustained g forces and sharp g forces can be very different when it comes to the effects on the human body.

EpcotMark

I dont think we will see any changes in the ride from this because that communicates that there "is" something wrong, which there isn't. What needs to be done is more warning signs in Foreign Languages for some of the rougher rides. This is something I was insistant on when I worked at Disney back in the day.
But I sincerely believe there will be NO major changes to the "speed" or whatever else.

Testtrack321

Before anyone posts, can we all get out of the chair, go to the local community college, take a physics course, then come back and post?

M:S is hardly as "intense" as other rides, it's Gs aren't that bad, etc. But a combination of laying down, sustained Gs, and the subwoofer make it much worse than it is.

ANYWAY

The giant red ball with the blue spinny logo will stay for a long time to come. What's inside might change, but I hope the spirit of space flight will remain, something I fell in love with when I was young.

CPimagineer86

imagineer boy said:
WOW! two out of 9 million people that rode it have died! This really is one death trap of a ride! It must be closed immediately.:eek:

:rolleyes:

My sarcasm sense is tingling...

Don't get me wrong, I am sorry for the family's loss. However, if the odds are dying on M:S are 1 in 4,500,000 then there are a lot of other things I'll be lookin out for first...

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1
Odds of drowning in a bathtub: 685,000 to 1
Odds of being killed sometime in the next year in any sort of transportation accident: 77 to 1
Odds of being killed by lightning: 2,320,000 to 1
Odds of being murdered: 18,000 to 1
Odds of being considered possessed by Satan: 7,000 to 1
Odds of winning an Academy Award: 11,500 to 1
Odds of spotting a UFO today: 3,000,000 to 1
Chance of dying from contact with a venomous animal or plant: 1 in 3,441,325

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think the problem is going to be that to the general public, splitting hairs saying the ride didn't malfunction but rather the forces it created contributed to two deaths isn't going to be pretty.

The 4yo's death was caused by stress. This stress could have come from any sort of stressor, but as he died on the ride, it's easy to surmize it was the ride. Fluke, we move on..

But, now we have another person, who seems to hav died from stress caused by the attraction. She may indeed have been as prone to problems as the boy, but not we really have to question if subjecting people to these forces en masse is the a good idea anymore.

How many people would have to die for the statistics to be signifigant?

It's like an uncontrolable risk now - how does one know they have such an issue? I think Disney no mater what will be forced to make some sort of change, no matter how logic spins it, people are not going to trust the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom