Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

witandwander

This was posted by Disney this evening. Not very specific.

With Anna and Elsa moving to Royal Sommerhus at Epcot in June, Princess Fairytale Hall will continue offering advance FastPass+ selections to meet the princesses through early June. More dates will be available for that timeframe. We look forward to sharing an opening date soon for Royal Sommerhus.

As a reminder, Royal Sommerhus at Epcot will be the new place where Guests can meet Anna and Elsa in person; however, they will continue to visit Magic Kingdom daily to appear in Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade and the upcoming Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire show at Cinderella Castle.

Even if it's not specific, THIS is what I've been waiting for!! Thank you!! If anyone sees any availability open for after 5/26, please update! We arrive on 5/27 and A&E are all my toddler talk about.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
update from another site:

1) The boats did make the suspect curve.
2) But, the boats were empty, thus riding "high", and avoiding the angle of the boat hull sides.
3) The next trial is to load them with people and see if they still make the bend.
4) Still no date for soft or hard opening . . . much like Rivers of Light, several technical issues need to be resolved.

technical issues here as well? sigh

If Disney's engineering and project planning is so incompetent these days that they have no idea if a boat will make a turn before putting it in the water weeks before they are about to open and if it doesn't work and they have to redo this, heads should roll. It still amazes me they couldn't have tested the RoL "new technology" elsewhere way prior to opening dates to be sure it worked before designing the show on it.

Do the people responsible for some of the projects in today's WDW just have no clue or common sense whatsoever?

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Maelstrom was, to me, like a low-budget indie film. They didn't have a lot of space or money to work with, but did the best they could with what they were given.

We talk about Everest or The Mummy at Universal being cool because you stop and go backwards...but Maelstrom did it first! Plus you got the basics of the adventure, vikings, trolls, waterfalls, Valhalla, polar creatures and then modern oil rigs and a nice village port at the end.

If you compare it to Fantasyland Dark rides of that era, it really is about on par with them IMO.

Your synopsis of the ride is spot on, and proves how ludicrous the ride really was. Piecing together Nor-Vay's history in 35 seconds, wrapped up by showing a damned oil rig or NCL cruise boat, then plopping you into a theater for a friggin' tourism ad and then corralling you through a drakkar noir factory full of cologne that smells like it should be on a 7th grader.

Anything, Anything, would be better than what Maelstrom brought to the World Showcase 'experience'.

spiritofNorway

I worked on the ride and there was 2 people on the maintenance-department of the ride who been working there since the opening in 1988, both say there was never a tesla coil installed in the North Sea-scene. So I believe that Martin´s video is wrong.
Heres from Paul Torrigino, who worked on the making of the ride back in the 80´s:
"While the figures and sets were in production, the special effects were also being worked out. During the model-making phase, we worked with Jim Mulder from the special effects department, who was assigned to our ride. Jim was probably the best of the new generation of special effects guys around and we were really lucky to have him. So as we were coming up with the ideas, we would talk it over with Jim and he would take our initial idea and expand on it. The biggest effects challenge of the ride was creating the storm in the oil rig scene at the end of the ride, and he was up to it.

Jim had a lot of ideas on how to do it, and early on he thought about using a giant Tesla coil to make real lightning! Somehow he got a hold of a guy who specialized in artificial lightning and he did a mock-up for us.

For a few days, they took over the new metal shed building built to house the Star Tours simulator mock-ups and he set up this giant Tesla coil metal column thing about 10 feet high or so with a big metal ball on top of it. He would fire it up and there would be an explosion with a 15-foot bolt of lightning shooting out and crashing into one of several receptacles in the corners of the room.

It was quite shocking (pun intended), frightening and loud! That day you could hear the explosions all over the Imagineering property. Great effect, but no one could figure out how to pull it off without electrocuting people, since our vehicles were boats in real water! So we didn't get to use the effect." - https://www.mouseplanet.com/7131/Walt_Disney_Worlds_Maelstrom_Part_1

Attachments

• teslacoil.jpg
    teslacoil.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 163

Mike S

I worked on the ride and there was 2 people on the maintenance-department of the ride who been working there since the opening in 1988, both say there was never a tesla coil installed in the North Sea-scene. So I believe that Martin´s video is wrong.
Heres from Paul Torrigino, who worked on the making of the ride back in the 80´s:
"While the figures and sets were in production, the special effects were also being worked out. During the model-making phase, we worked with Jim Mulder from the special effects department, who was assigned to our ride. Jim was probably the best of the new generation of special effects guys around and we were really lucky to have him. So as we were coming up with the ideas, we would talk it over with Jim and he would take our initial idea and expand on it. The biggest effects challenge of the ride was creating the storm in the oil rig scene at the end of the ride, and he was up to it.

Jim had a lot of ideas on how to do it, and early on he thought about using a giant Tesla coil to make real lightning! Somehow he got a hold of a guy who specialized in artificial lightning and he did a mock-up for us.

For a few days, they took over the new metal shed building built to house the Star Tours simulator mock-ups and he set up this giant Tesla coil metal column thing about 10 feet high or so with a big metal ball on top of it. He would fire it up and there would be an explosion with a 15-foot bolt of lightning shooting out and crashing into one of several receptacles in the corners of the room.

It was quite shocking (pun intended), frightening and loud! That day you could hear the explosions all over the Imagineering property. Great effect, but no one could figure out how to pull it off without electrocuting people, since our vehicles were boats in real water! So we didn't get to use the effect." - https://www.mouseplanet.com/7131/Walt_Disney_Worlds_Maelstrom_Part_1
Well there is video evidence of something there that's definitely not the lightening stick. What is it?

NelsonRD

update from another site:

1) The boats did make the suspect curve.
2) But, the boats were empty, thus riding "high", and avoiding the angle of the boat hull sides.
3) The next trial is to load them with people and see if they still make the bend.
4) Still no date for soft or hard opening . . . much like Rivers of Light, several technical issues need to be resolved.

technical issues here as well? sigh

If Disney's engineering and project planning is so incompetent these days that they have no idea if a boat will make a turn before putting it in the water weeks before they are about to open and if it doesn't work and they have to redo this, heads should roll. It still amazes me they couldn't have tested the RoL "new technology" elsewhere way prior to opening dates to be sure it worked before designing the show on it.

Do the people responsible for some of the projects in today's WDW just have no clue or common sense whatsoever?

I do not necessarily jump to the conclusion that Disney imagineering is incompetent, and have no ideas how to make boats (Both in Frozen and RoL). I applaud the efforts to try something different, new, and work the problems to get it right. I would much rather pursue pushing the envelope of something new, that could result in delays in projects, than to get recycled proven technology and show over and over again.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I do not necessarily jump to the conclusion that Disney imagineering is incompetent, and have no ideas how to make boats (Both in Frozen and RoL). I applaud the efforts to try something different, new, and work the problems to get it right. I would much rather pursue pushing the envelope of something new, that could result in delays in projects, than to get recycled proven technology and show over and over again.

I don't blame the imagineers at all for coming up with new tech and trying new things... I fault the project managers or oversight committees for not "planning" ahead.

RoL tech I assume could have been tested at scale well in advance and should have been if there were questions if it would work or not before designing it and setting a go live date and then have the "OH ****!" moment.

As for Frozen, if they weren't sure if the boats would make it or not... aren't there smart enough people (engineers with wrist calculators and all) to be able to know for sure...or at least close to it.Again, if there were questions whether it would work or not, they shouldn't implement/build it and then just wish upon the first star to the right it does

that's my thinking anyways...but what do I know.. I don't wear a suit and work at Disney :cool:

A foolish mortal

So I wasn't really sure what the stacked rocks on the new rock work was supposed to be, so I had to look it up. This is a bit of Norway history for people wondering the same thing:

As we know the meet and greet building is inspired by a building called Detlistua at "Oppdalstunet" at "Sverresborg Trøndelag Folkemuseum" in Trondheim, Norway. The museum has become a showcase of traditional Norwegian buildings:
sverresborg3.jpg

The building, Detlistua, was built at Oppland south of Trondheim in 1818 and moved to the Museum by the feet of the ruins of King Sverres castle (behind the building on the right) in 1924.
folk-museum.jpg

The castle of King Sverre was Norway's first castle of stacked stone, and looked something like this:
borgen-2.jpg

The stacked rocks on the rock work is supposed to be the castle ruins.
Epcot_RoyalSommerhus_03302016-6.jpg
Epcot_RoyalSummerhus_04192016-1.jpg
12983950_1718385148407096_8131961029918708445_o.jpg

As people know they have these types of paintings inside the Puffins Roost. I think it's nice to see that they are doing Rosemaling (translated rose paintings) inside the new buildings as well:
Skjermbilde 2016-04-27 14.22.47.png
Skjermbilde 2016-04-27 14.23.01.png

This type of paintings are very traditional and is part of the Norwegian folk art! It means a lot to me as my grandfather used to do rosemaling. This chair is one of many things he made:
20160427_142618.jpg

He also started this miniature chair that he hasn't finished yet.
20160427_142735.jpg

I just find this history really interesting (and meaningful), so I thought I could share what I found :)

I can't wait for the new area to open!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom