Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribbleorlfl

Well there is video evidence of something there that's definitely not the lightening stick. What is it?
I'll ask my dad when I see him this afternoon. While he wasn't one of the "lifers" @spiritofNorway mentioned, Maelstrom was one of his stops in the mid-90's (after he left Horizons). He used to talk about fixing the "lightning machine" ALL THE TIME, because he was the only one who could fix it. They used to call him Thor for that reason.

Brian Swan

I agree, I don't know what people think was so great about Maelstrom. Unless it was a walk on I didn't even bother with it. Same goes for the mexico boat ride. I completely understand where people would be upset about characters in World Showcase and to some extent I agree. But the more I think about it, the more I am ok with it as long as the exterior of the pavilions, the shops and the Cast Members all represent their country. I also don't mind as long as the exterior of the attraction isn't cartoony Arendale with a big Anna and Elsa outside. Theme it so that it doesn't contrast with the pavilion and I'm ok. I also like that it offers something for the kids to do as they make there way around the countries. To me World Showcase already caters incredibly heavy towards adults so adding some stuff for the kids is ok I think.
I have to agree with you. The first time I went on Maelstrom, before the days when you could watch the ride on YouTube first, I got off it feeling Huh? That's it? With the exception of the trolls and the "gimmick" of it going backwards in the middle, it had sub-standard AAs, no coherent "storytelling", and a generally unfinished look. I always found it humorous that the PR for it mentioned the part where you just escape going over a waterfall; you were approaching the waterfall backwards, and even if you knew to turn around and look, the stern of the boat was so high you couldn't see it. So based solely on what Maelstrom was, I won't miss it. Was Frozen the best idea? Probably not. But as long as the exteriors remain true to the Norwegian spirit (which, based on the construction photos that we've seen, they seem to), I don't have that big an issue with the ride being about a fantasy "country" with roots in Norway. Would an updated ride based on "real" Norwegian culture have been a better fit? Clearly. But they tried that with Maelstrom, and weren't really very successful. I'll probably be laughed off of this forum and met with outrage for saying this, but I DO plan on riding FEA whenever I get there again, and if the scenic elements and effects are better, if the AAs are more sophisticated, and if there is SOME sense of storytelling, and if it's even just a little bit longer, then I will be happy, and will consider it an overall improved ride experience.

JediMasterMatt

With today's news about Tokyo Disney Resort reshuffling their expansion lineup and Tokyo Disney Sea at least delaying their Frozen port and ride, we can all take a deep breath and proudly proclaim that WDW will have "THE WORLD'S BEST Frozen attraction" on the planet for the foreseeable future.

Make's you kind of proud doesn't it?

For those that didn't think WDW had it in them anymore to make new attractions that are the best in the world - let today be long remembered that no matter how much budget can be slashed, or integrity of vision can be lost, or complete disregard of any common sense of operational capacity... there is always hope that other resorts may cancel their projects.

Of course, the world's best Frozen attraction may still be debatable long after Frostrom finally opens for the first time in forever. Remember, the competition out there is stiff.
20150755a92af005909.png

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
With today's news about Tokyo Disney Resort reshuffling their expansion lineup and Tokyo Disney Sea at least delaying their Frozen port and ride, we can all take a deep breath and proudly proclaim that WDW will have "THE WORLD'S BEST Frozen attraction" on the planet for the foreseeable future.

Make's you kind of proud doesn't it?

For those that didn't think WDW had it in them anymore to make new attractions that are the best in the world - let today be long remembered that no matter how much budget can be slashed, or integrity of vision can be lost, or complete disregard of any common sense of operational capacity... there is always hope that other resorts may cancel their projects.

Of course, the world's best Frozen attraction may still be debatable long after Frostrom finally opens for the first time in forever. Remember, the competition out there is stiff.
20150755a92af005909.png
wow... lol... well I bet they at least finished that one on time ;)

rle4lunch

I have to agree with you. The first time I went on Maelstrom, before the days when you could watch the ride on YouTube first, I got off it feeling Huh? That's it? With the exception of the trolls and the "gimmick" of it going backwards in the middle, it had sub-standard AAs, no coherent "storytelling", and a generally unfinished look. I always found it humorous that the PR for it mentioned the part where you just escape going over a waterfall; you were approaching the waterfall backwards, and even if you knew to turn around and look, the stern of the boat was so high you couldn't see it. So based solely on what Maelstrom was, I won't miss it. Was Frozen the best idea? Probably not. But as long as the exteriors remain true to the Norwegian spirit (which, based on the construction photos that we've seen, they seem to), I don't have that big an issue with the ride being about a fantasy "country" with roots in Norway. Would an updated ride based on "real" Norwegian culture have been a better fit? Clearly. But they tried that with Maelstrom, and weren't really very successful. I'll probably be laughed off of this forum and met with outrage for saying this, but I DO plan on riding FEA whenever I get there again, and if the scenic elements and effects are better, if the AAs are more sophisticated, and if there is SOME sense of storytelling, and if it's even just a little bit longer, then I will be happy, and will consider it an overall improved ride experience.

Don't worry, I said pretty much the same thing using the word 'sucked' and everyone either ridiculed me or had to retreat to their safe space because they felt violated that somebody didn't like their precious, crappy, Maelstrom. Was Frozen the best choice, who knows? It'll go down in the annals of wdwmagic history and lore that the once great and wondrous Maelstrom, a fete of mediocrity and a meandering half-a$$ed storyline was mocked and ridiculed by those who were destined to see a faux land of Norway in a theme park in Buena Vista, Florida turn into the made up land of Arendelle. How dare Disney! How dare Ye do this to such a hallowed attraction such as this??? For this, we will call you cheap! lazy! unimaginative! and worst of all..... placing a Disney IP into a Disney park. gasp!

lol. and before you all get into a tizzy, I'm just having fun, because this is such a serious topic.... relax.. if they theme this ride anywhere close to detail in the LM queue in NFL, then we should all be happy.

WDWFANSINCE81

Count me on team...Malestrom Half-Assed. It was a fun diversion but hardly an imagineering wonderment. There were stretches of nothing...weak black lit mannequins with minimal movement, and an eclectic mix of scenes. Yea the trolls were fun but not exactly worth anything more than a 5 minute wait. Frozen will be a good add....a solid addition. Now if they can just a fix the rest of park...(cough Imagination, WOE, Wonders of Life, Mission Space, Seas, Spaceship Earth, Innoventions, cough cough).

FigmentForver96

Count me on team...Malestrom Half-Assed. It was a fun diversion but hardly an imagineering wonderment. There were stretches of nothing...weak black lit mannequins with minimal movement, and an eclectic mix of scenes. Yea the trolls were fun but not exactly worth anything more than a 5 minute wait. Frozen will be a good add....a solid addition. Now if they can just a fix the rest of park...(cough Imagination, WOE, Wonders of Life, Mission Space, Seas, Spaceship Earth, Innoventions, cough cough).
That is not even the point. First they could have easily refurbished the ride with new AA's new queue, new storytelling and special effects. They did not want to because they had this new hot movie that needed a ride NOW so they could capitalize further on the success. The ride was not the most amazing thing ever to come out of the halls of Disney WDI, but it was yet another small piece of a grand puzzle.

Frozen has no place in World Showcase like it has been stated over and over and over again. In fact shoving Frozen into the ride like that (mind you they are using the same track layout with one extra bend) is not only a disgrace to the great movie and the park Epcot, but a spit in the fact to the people of Norway and their culture. That pavilion is suppose to represent the lives and culture of the people and Frozen is not going to that even if the movie was inspired by Norway.

RandySavage

Maelstrom was a charming, atmospheric D-ticket executed in a similar spirit & vein of AA classics such as Pirates, HM and Spaceship Earth (those 3 being E-tickets in scope, not D). It wasn't flawless (film should have been part of the queue or excised). But it was easily the best ride World Showcase has ever had. Arguably, the best attraction World Showcase has ever had (American Adventure being its only contender).

Maelstrom's World Showcase attraction peer group (outside USA & Mexico) are either travelogue films (China, Canada & France) or nothing (Germany, UK, Italy, Morocco, Japan). If Maelstrom were in a park chock-full of brilliant E- & D-tickets, I might better understand (though still disagree with) the kind criticism and dismissal above. Post EPCOT Center, Maelstrom was one of a handful of reminders a long lost, much better era for the park.

FigmentForver96

Maelstrom was a charming, atmospheric D-ticket executed in a similar spirit & vein of AA classics such as Pirates, HM and Spaceship Earth (those 3 being E-tickets in scope, not D). It wasn't flawless (film should have been part of the queue or excised). But it was easily the best ride World Showcase has ever had. Arguably, the best attraction World Showcase has ever had (American Adventure being its only contender).

Maelstrom's World Showcase attraction peer group (outside USA & Mexico) are either travelogue films (China, Canada & France) or nothing (Germany, UK, Italy, Morocco, Japan). If Maelstrom were in a park chock-full of brilliant E- & D-tickets, I might better understand (though still disagree with) the kind criticism and dismissal above. Post EPCOT Center, Maelstrom was one of a handful of reminders a long lost, much better era for the park.
American Adventure and Impressions de France are the only real pieces of EPCOT Center that we truly have left. Such a shame.

Mike S

That is not even the point. First they could have easily refurbished the ride with new AA's new queue, new storytelling and special effects. They did not want to because they had this new hot movie that needed a ride NOW so they could capitalize further on the success. The ride was not the most amazing thing ever to come out of the halls of Disney WDI, but it was yet another small piece of a grand puzzle.

Frozen has no place in World Showcase like it has been stated over and over and over again. In fact shoving Frozen into the ride like that (mind you they are using the same track layout with one extra bend) is not only a disgrace to the great movie and the park Epcot, but a spit in the fact to the people of Norway and their culture. That pavilion is suppose to represent the lives and culture of the people and Frozen is not going to that even if the movie was inspired by Norway.
Yup :(
image.jpeg

American Adventure and Impressions de France are the only real pieces of EPCOT Center that we truly have left. Such a shame.
Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth say hello.

Cesar R M

update from another site:

1) The boats did make the suspect curve.
2) But, the boats were empty, thus riding "high", and avoiding the angle of the boat hull sides.
3) The next trial is to load them with people and see if they still make the bend.
4) Still no date for soft or hard opening . . . much like Rivers of Light, several technical issues need to be resolved.

technical issues here as well? sigh

If Disney's engineering and project planning is so incompetent these days that they have no idea if a boat will make a turn before putting it in the water weeks before they are about to open and if it doesn't work and they have to redo this, heads should roll. It still amazes me they couldn't have tested the RoL "new technology" elsewhere way prior to opening dates to be sure it worked before designing the show on it.

Do the people responsible for some of the projects in today's WDW just have no clue or common sense whatsoever?
Probably they are digging deep, researching into norwegian story to make sure the boats turn exactly like real viking boats.
I mean, they have to excuse the huge paychecks. right?

Cesar R M

So I wasn't really sure what the stacked rocks on the new rock work was supposed to be, so I had to look it up. This is a bit of Norway history for people wondering the same thing:

As we know the meet and greet building is inspired by a building called Detlistua at "Oppdalstunet" at "Sverresborg Trøndelag Folkemuseum" in Trondheim, Norway. The museum has become a showcase of traditional Norwegian buildings:
View attachment 139727

The building, Detlistua, was built at Oppland south of Trondheim in 1818 and moved to the Museum by the feet of the ruins of King Sverres castle (behind the building on the right) in 1924.
View attachment 139728

The castle of King Sverre was Norway's first castle of stacked stone, and looked something like this:
View attachment 139732

The stacked rocks on the rock work is supposed to be the castle ruins.
View attachment 139730 View attachment 139731 View attachment 139729

As people know they have these types of paintings inside the Puffins Roost. I think it's nice to see that they are doing Rosemaling (translated rose paintings) inside the new buildings as well:
View attachment 139778 View attachment 139779

This type of paintings are very traditional and is part of the Norwegian folk art! It means a lot to me as my grandfather used to do rosemaling. This chair is one of many things he made:
View attachment 139784

He also started this miniature chair that he hasn't finished yet.
View attachment 139785

I just find this history really interesting (and meaningful), so I thought I could share what I found :)

I can't wait for the new area to open!

that makes way more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom