Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wikkler

Fellow EPCOT lovers... let's not reply to the people who say "Maelstrom sucked, Frozen will be so much better and you just hate change." They obviously know the problems with Frozen and are just trying to get a rise out of us.
I do not necessarily jump to the conclusion that Disney imagineering is incompetent, and have no ideas how to make boats (Both in Frozen and RoL). I applaud the efforts to try something different, new, and work the problems to get it right. I would much rather pursue pushing the envelope of something new, that could result in delays in projects, than to get recycled proven technology and show over and over again.

Frozen and Rivers of Light are two different situations. Rivers of Light was new technology utilizing GPS systems which no theme park company has attempted before. Frozen is a boat on a track which is a replacement for a ride that used the same boat that worked fine.
that is one area (with the exception of dumbo and barnstormer which were already there) that just screams "well we have this space remaining we have to fill and we only have 10 bucks, what should we do?
Fantasyland could have gotten a better expansion, I don't believe there's anybody who's been to the Magic Kingdom since 2012 who doubts that. There are also other problems with the theming. It's a small world should be where the Speedway is. Winnie the Pooh should be in it's a small world's spot. Pinocchio should be in Winnie the Pooh's spot. Wonderland should have relocated to where Beauty and the Beast is. Beauty and the Beast should have been built where The Little Mermaid is. The Little Mermaid should have been built in DHS (HA!) but if it had to go in Magic Kingdom then put it where the northern tents are. Southern tents? They should have been Frozen over by now. And we need better ride facades.

NelsonRD

Frozen and Rivers of Light are two different situations. Rivers of Light was new technology utilizing GPS systems which no theme park company has attempted before. Frozen is a boat on a track which is a replacement for a ride that used the same boat that worked fine.

Do we know that there no alterations to the boat, track, and ride control for sure? I would guess some changes and upgrades were made.

Herbie

Considering the economy.. We will probably get another dragon.. Probably Mushu (aka pint size)

Oh how I wish... I about died when I came across this. (c) John

Attachments

• maleficent.png
    maleficent.png
    184 KB · Views: 117

aladdin2007

What I can't fathom, like many of us have already discussed, is how are they going to handle the lines for akershus and frozen at the same time...I was there today and the pavilion was so crowded, including switchback lines for akershus using the courtyard, strollers parked all along the construction wall up to the stores doors...once frozen opens and the meetngreet, I just cant see this working at all, you would have to be mad to get in the middle of the massive crowd control problems to come. Too much jammed into one small area, its time for the princess dining to be moved out of there (something Norwegian please like it use to be) but thats not going to happen.

aladdin2007

So I wasn't really sure what the stacked rocks on the new rock work was supposed to be, so I had to look it up. This is a bit of Norway history for people wondering the same thing:

As we know the meet and greet building is inspired by a building called Detlistua at "Oppdalstunet" at "Sverresborg Trøndelag Folkemuseum" in Trondheim, Norway. The museum has become a showcase of traditional Norwegian buildings:
View attachment 139727

The building, Detlistua, was built at Oppland south of Trondheim in 1818 and moved to the Museum by the feet of the ruins of King Sverres castle (behind the building on the right) in 1924.
View attachment 139728

The castle of King Sverre was Norway's first castle of stacked stone, and looked something like this:
View attachment 139732

The stacked rocks on the rock work is supposed to be the castle ruins.
View attachment 139730 View attachment 139731 View attachment 139729

As people know they have these types of paintings inside the Puffins Roost. I think it's nice to see that they are doing Rosemaling (translated rose paintings) inside the new buildings as well:
View attachment 139778 View attachment 139779

This type of paintings are very traditional and is part of the Norwegian folk art! It means a lot to me as my grandfather used to do rosemaling. This chair is one of many things he made:
View attachment 139784

He also started this miniature chair that he hasn't finished yet.
View attachment 139785

I just find this history really interesting (and meaningful), so I thought I could share what I found :)

I can't wait for the new area to open!

by the way great research and information you shared, its all very interesting. Not sure Disney values it quite as Norwegian as that, like it should be, since the focus is on anna and elsa intsead, but its a great thought. nice work.

TalkingHead

Maelstrom was amazing. No it wasn't the most advanced ride ever, but it was a fun dark ride that told a story. I don't get the hate from some of the haters here.

It was a too-short campy dark ride, not exactly a pinnacle of Imagineering.

Having said that, I'm not optimistic that Frozen's going to be any better. It'll still be a far too-short ride, only now the wait will be counted in hours, not minutes.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I do not necessarily jump to the conclusion that Disney imagineering is incompetent, and have no ideas how to make boats (Both in Frozen and RoL). I applaud the efforts to try something different, new, and work the problems to get it right. I would much rather pursue pushing the envelope of something new, that could result in delays in projects, than to get recycled proven technology and show over and over again.
I fail to see how a boat turning in water is, "pushing the envelope". Must be the same envelope they pushed for the new Dumbo spinner (which scrapes the side and is showing badly). If its possibly "new technology" as you stated, well, they got ripped off.

NelsonRD

I fail to see how a boat turning in water is, "pushing the envelope". Must be the same envelope they pushed for the new Dumbo spinner (which scrapes the side and is showing badly). If its possibly "new technology" as you stated, well, they got ripped off.

Well without knowing exactly what is going on, I am just commenting on how everything is not Disney Dumbness. Maybe it is possible they are trying to increase capacity, and the turn has been altered for efficiency. Maybe the ride system or sensors have been changed. I do not know. I am just suggesting that if you are afraid to try something new over fears of delays, and comments from people, then playing it safe is going to get you more of the same old show.

tribbleorlfl

Well there is video evidence of something there that's definitely not the lightening stick. What is it?

Strobe light (you can see the plexiglass "lightning" and its shadow cast on the ceiling)

View attachment 139798

Not a strobe light (the non directional blinding flash and the accompanying crack also gave it away)

View attachment 139799
So, I talked to my dad. What he described appears to be in the second picture without the plastic lightning. He said it was a xenon lamp (the kind in movie projectors) mounted on a stand. A small battery would charge at regular intervals then discharge the lamp.

He said the problem with the setup wasn't complexity, as I guess the controller was pretty simple. The issue was the height of the room and location of the device high up next to the oil platform; condensation would build up on the ceiling then drip down all over the electronic components, causing frequent shorts. He'd regularly have to change out capacitors and occasionally rewire.

The strobe/plastic lightning setup was after his time there. He figured it was because they got tired of repairing the xenon setup.

Re a tesla coil, he laughed and ask "Where do you get this stuff?"

RSoxNo1

So, I talked to my dad. What he described appears to be in the second picture without the plastic lightning. He said it was a xenon lamp (the kind in movie projectors) mounted on a stand. A small battery would charge at regular intervals then discharge the lamp.

He said the problem with the setup wasn't complexity, as I guess the controller was pretty simple. The issue was the height of the room and location of the device high up next to the oil platform; condensation would build up on the ceiling then drip down all over the electronic components, causing frequent shorts. He'd regularly have to change out capacitors and occasionally rewire.

The strobe/plastic lightning setup was after his time there. He figured it was because they got tired of repairing the xenon setup.

Re a tesla coil, he laughed and ask "Where do you get this stuff?"
Thank you for sharing, interesting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom