New Year's Eve Announcement?

bhg469

with the big emphasis on the key words "one more day" i think it has something to do with a free day with a purchase of a package. but i could be wrong

Another buffalonian with sense! The promo is obviously more than just mk staying open 24 hours on one day. Its going to be a free day on a package, it just a question of how many you have to buy first. Any more than 2 and this promo is nothing great.

jmick71

IDK if any body addressed this yet but...

I watched the video a couple times and the only things that I can make out from the video is:

whatever the announcement is it will happen on both coast(shows clocks from both Disney World and Disneyland)

And the clocks shows a full 24 hour time frame (this can either mean the park will be open for 24hrs. OR it is for the "extra Day")

disneypearl

I don't think that keeping the parks or MK open for 24 hours on Leap Day will happen. At least it shouldn't happen. How would they clean the park and how would it be cleaned to Disney standards? The next day the park would be a mess!

I am thinking it would have to be for everyone who visits in 2012 because it it being announced on New Years.

MKCP 1985

3 is the magic number. Yes it is.

If Disney is going to add a free day on after a number of days in the stay, it shouldn't be four. No offense to the pixie dusters, but that deal is already out there for those who are willing to search, and doesn't require (or include) a Disney hotel stay.

WDW1974

Maybe the big announcement is that they are opening a big Walmart on property :D :ROFLOL:

Seriously, don't give them any ideas.

Someone at TDO joked with me many, many months (like sometime early in 2010) that with a SuperTarget opening just off property on 192 west that a Super Walmart for Flamingo Crossing made 'perfect corporate sense'!:eek:

I think if that were to happen, I might stage an Occupy WDW movement!

The ONLY thing approved so far is almost as bad -- a Walgreen's -- because the 876 units within a 5-mile radius of every WDW entry clearly aren't enough!
:xmas:

WDW1974

I would be fine with an announcement that all coffee on property will be replaced with Dunkin Donuts coffee. I can't stand Nescafe.

Good idea.

I don't anyone who actually enjoys the swill that is Necafe. WDW used to have GREAT coffee and now ... UGH!!!

:xmas:

WDW1974

I don't think that keeping the parks or MK open for 24 hours on Leap Day will happen. At least it shouldn't happen. How would they clean the park and how would it be cleaned to Disney standards? The next day the park would be a mess!

I am thinking it would have to be for everyone who visits in 2012 because it it being announced on New Years.

I would expect the marketing campaign, which WILL include DL and MK staying open 24 hours on leap day.

As to why anyone would ever want to spend that much time or stay that late at the MK is beyond my realm known as sanity.

And as to Disney standards for cleanliness ... what standards are you talking about? The old real ones that they gave up sometime last century? Or what passes for standards today? :xmas:

maxairmike

They did it for years with Grad Nights or other events. Being open midnight to midnight isn't too far beyond being open 8am-4am with the park opening the "next" day at 9am. That's actually just four hours longer than a Grad Night operating day.

dcibrando

If there is a promotion for any extra day of tickets and lodging I hope it also applies to DVC as well but I'm sure it won't

I'm also hoping we're all surprised at the announcement and it is multiple wows but I'm not holding my breath

I honestly think though Disney is going to have to step it up a little to keep ahead of the competition...not that Disney will fall behind them but as a frequent wdw visitor I'm starting to see things that look like they are more interested in saving or making a buck than providing the best magical experience possible

Scuttle

I would expect the marketing campaign, which WILL include DL and MK staying open 24 hours on leap day.

As to why anyone would ever want to spend that much time or stay that late at the MK is beyond my realm known as sanity.

And as to Disney standards for cleanliness ... what standards are you talking about? The old real ones that they gave up sometime last century? Or what passes for standards today? :xmas:

God 24 hours is going to do wonders for the monorail system. Anyone willing to bet how many times the monorails are reported down?

P.S. 74 I love the fact that you get how bad of shape WDW is in and that Disney has gone away from every standard that was applied when Walt or Roy were around. Can't stand these fanboys that defend the maintenance issues at WDW. We need more fans like you.

raven

God 24 hours is going to do wonders for the monorail system. Anyone willing to bet how many times the monorails are reported down?

A lot of rides can't go that long without downtime maintenence as well. Not to mention those 3rd shift CMs hours being cut. I can imagine the Union grievances now.

Pioneer Hall

I just wish they would tell us what time they plan on making this announcement. I would imagine that most people aren't sitting glued to their TV's that night and I would just like to have some idea of when I should divert some attention that way.

jhastings74

I remember when Eisner was emporer of the Disney Empire, a reporter asked him if there would ever be a fifth gated theme park. His response was was so bizarre that I remembered it clearly to today. He said that WDI had designed a fifth gate per his instructions to do so. He said this fifth gate has the potential to be the best park in all of WDW. He said that he's seen the plan and was very impressed with it. Further, he said he can't reveal its theme and that the project would sit on the shelf for many years before the company is ready to unveil it. He said the company's first priority is to expand and rennovate the existing parks. Once this is complete and if the economy is right, the fifth gate project would be green lit for the advanced planning stages. He also said in that interview that WDW's master plan calls for the eventual construction of six gated theme parks and monorails and people movers connecting the six major parks, the minor parks, hotels, and Downtown Disney.

Who knows, but maybe it could be the fifth gate Eisner was talking about. Every ten years Disney has opened a new major gated attraction at WDW:

1971 - Magic Kingdom
1982 - EPCOT Center
1989 - Disney Hollywood Studios
1998 - Animal Kingdom
2012 - Fifth Gate?
202? - Sixth Gate?

I have no idea what the theme of this fifth major gate mentioned by Eisner is. I forgot to mention that Eisner said in that interview that "only" he "knows" the theme of this planned theme park. I found that statement very odd. He probably meant only he, WDI, and upper management know its theme.

Any way, I think a good theme would be ancient civilizations and co-brand it with the History Channel. Its lands would be ancient Rome, Greece, Egypt, Persia, and maybe the legendary Atlantis. I think such a theme would fit great as a major new gate within WDW. What do you think?

As interesting as that would be, Iger just recently stated that shareholder's concerns have made it clear that they want the company to pull back on huge spending after FLE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom