New Year's Eve Announcement?

radiohost

My wife says its a free extra day if you purchase a vacation package...A lame announcement if that is the case, but I would think thats what it is....I think she is right.

pintraderpayee

Some rumors are that on Leap Day WDW will open 24 hours. That week will be my DD's first as a CP cast member. She is already hoping for overtime! lol

WeLComeHomE OKW

This has nothing to do with being open for 24 hours at any point.

It's going to be a promotion tied to staying at Disney resorts. For any pass you buy, you will receive one extra day in a park for free.

It's pretty smart, considering most money is spent in the parks anyway.

Don't get your hopes up. A free ticket is cool...but...for AP holders, this is super lame.

No 5th park. No 24 hours. The announcement will probably start with a quick rundown of all the exciting things coming to the american parks in 2012, and then some quirky, "Well, how are you going to find the time to do it all??" and then they will announce the new free extra day when staying in a disney resort.

Again, don't get too excited.

Personally, I would have loved to see them announce the re-formation of Pleasure Island into a ticketed experience, where the nightly new years eve celebrations came back. Oh well...

TP2000

This has nothing to do with being open for 24 hours at any point.

It's going to be a promotion tied to staying at Disney resorts. For any pass you buy, you will receive one extra day in a park for free....

Hmm... Al Lutz, the King of Disneyland Rumors has posted this up tonight on his Miceage website, the 24 hour part I've bolded in red...
EDITOR’S NOTE 12/30: The big surprise to be announced on ________ Clark's New Years Eve show is the gimmicky 24 hour bi-coastal party on Leap Year Day this Feb in the parks, plus more WDW discounts and a continuation of the Memories campaign. Meanwhile, Disneyland is managing massive crowds this week with daily phased closures and forcing the overflow into DCA with complimentary parkhopper upgrades. Between Christmas and New Years Days, Disneyland Resort is heading to a park attendance tally near 750,000 visitors, a new record. - Al Lutz

So this sounds like it's a 24 hour party on February 29th at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom in WDW. Plus the hotel discounts and a launch of Memories 2.0 campaign for 2012.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Hmm... Al Lutz, the King of Disneyland Rumors has posted this up tonight on his Miceage website, the 24 hour part I've bolded in red...

So this sounds like it's a 24 hour party on February 29th at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom in WDW. Plus the hotel discounts and a launch of Memories 2.0 campaign for 2012.

I'm just trying to figure out why this would warrant an announcement at New Years Eve.

Really, a huge bi-coastal party at a time when very few people can get away?

Why make a big teaser page and a new years eve announcement on a national broadcast about something that will affect so few people? Yikes.

TP2000

I'm just trying to figure out why this would warrant an announcement at New Years Eve.

Why make a big teaser page and a new years eve announcement on a national broadcast about something that will affect so few people? Yikes.

You bring up great points, at least on the national level.

For Disneyland at least, the 24 hour party on February 29th will be an instant sell-out with 20 Million people living in Southern California ready to drive 90 minutes or less to Disneyland for the event. There's a few hundred thousand crazy college kids in SoCal, not to mention 900,000 Annual Passholders, who will be stoked to drive to Anaheim for an overnight publicity stunt like this, especially before mid-terms.

People in SoCal still talk about being at Disneyland for the 24 hour parties they held in the 1980's for Captain EO and Star Tours openings. This will recreate that for a new generation.

But for the WDW parks? I think the target will be people who are already staying in Orlando hotels that week anyway. It won't drive attendance there so much as just drive publicity.

And I think that's what this whole 24 hour party stunt boils down to... free publicity for a re-launched Memories marketing campaign. :rolleyes:

WeLComeHomE OKW

You bring up great points, at least on the national level.

For Disneyland at least, the 24 hour party on February 29th will be an instant sell-out with 20 Million people living in Southern California ready to drive 90 minutes or less to Disneyland for the event. There's a few hundred thousand crazy college kids in SoCal, not to mention 900,000 Annual Passholders, who will be stoked to drive to Anaheim for an overnight publicity stunt like this, especially before mid-terms.

People in SoCal still talk about being at Disneyland for the 24 hour parties they held in the 1980's for Captain EO and Star Tours openings. This will recreate that for a new generation.

But for the WDW parks? I think the target will be people who are already staying in Orlando hotels that week anyway. It won't drive attendance there so much as just drive publicity.

And I think that's what this whole 24 hour party stunt boils down to... free publicity for a re-launched Memories marketing campaign. :rolleyes:

Sure, people will talk about it. But, this will boil down to people, mostly locals (since it's not a standard vacation time) enjoying the parks for an extra 8 hours, on one day. Most kids won't be able to do it, because it will be past their bed times.

So, really, it will be teenagers and adults who are willing to stay up that late and go on rides. It's a Wednesday night, which means it is a school/work night. So, people will sacrifice sleep to party at Disney World and Disneyland?

In the end, it will be on the local news for one night. And the hardcore fans and other random teenagers/adults who do this will remember it. But, I don't see how this is that big of a publicity stunt. It's a low-risk/low-reward promotion, a gimmick that benefits a very small portion of the disney parks-going population.

Even what I suggested, a free extra day for those who stay at a disney resort, isn't amazing--but, at least it would affect every person who stays at a disney resort, and would make their stay just a little more magical.

I gotta give them credit for pushing to have a slot during the NYE countdown. That's pretty great for them, but, I'm pretty disappointed that their "big news" is an even lamer gimmick than I thought. They really like to shoot themselves in the foot. They make this teaser website, suggest there is a big announcement--make a countdown. Haven't they learned from the D23 expo? It's better to surprise without any setup of expectations. If I never knew anything was coming, then they announced this party. I would think, "Hey! That's pretty cool!" But, a splash page? a teaser trailer? a countdown clock? an announcement on the disney christmas parade show? Jeez, they're really setting themselves up for a whole bunch of fans being disappointed.

AEfx

Look at the "give a day" thing.

It was silly. Not silly that they did it, silly that very few people ever truly benefited from it. Most people go to WDW for a week, and extra days past 4 are inconsequential financially. So maybe people saved ten bucks. The only ones who got any benefit were locals.

So this doesn't surprise me at all, though I do think I will be taking advantage of it this time, even though I live 1200 miles away. Just sounds like fun to me - then again, if it's crowded...ugh, I hate decisions. I am totally the type of person who would fly down just for this and then come home (as I have an AP, all I need is a plane ticket), but now I'm second guessing...though it's doubtful at 3AM the place would be busy at all, in spite of the intentions people may have.

Brian Noble

The day itself isn't the point. This is:
Sure, people will talk about it.
Not just people, but the press. I can nearly guarantee the PR folks will have plenty of material ready and the press will run with it. "Look at those wacky Disney people! What fun!" And, now is about the time people start thinking of spring break travel, so the extra boost of the announcement will help bring Disney forward as a possible destination. What's more, Leap Day isn't too far ahead of when people start thinking about summer travel plans (and the late planners are still thinking about Easter), so the next round of "Wow, look at those wacky Disney people!" news fluff pieces generate another boost of free publicity.

It's a marketing stunt meant much more for the press impact than for the people who actually attend the day---and, all things considered, probably a pretty good bang-for-buck.

And, the "free extra day in the parks" is totally meaningless, especially if there is a minimum length ticket (and I bet there will be). But, most of the sheeple won't see past "free day" to figure out that it's worth a whole $8 per person.

Clever, that rodent.

Rob562

Most of the time when they've offered people a free day in the park (free on your birthday, Give-A-Day-Get-A-Day) and you used it to get a multi-day ticket, they gave you a credit in the amount of the 1-day ticket ($75+) and took that off of the price of the longer ticket.

I'd assume (hope) that they'd go that route, rather than the one when they gave you 7 days for the price of 4, which only saved you about $20.

-Rob

airwick0905

Posted about an hour ago on Disneyland's Facebook Page:

"Watch ________ Clark’s Rockin’ New Years Eve with Ryan Seacrest, tomorrow on ABC, for some Disney Parks news that will make you leap for joy."

I'm kind of tempted to go to Disneyland for the 24 hour thing, but TP2000 brings up a great point. It probably would be too crowded to enjoy yourself.

lebeau

Most of the time when they've offered people a free day in the park (free on your birthday, Give-A-Day-Get-A-Day) and you used it to get a multi-day ticket, they gave you a credit in the amount of the 1-day ticket ($75+) and took that off of the price of the longer ticket.

I'd assume (hope) that they'd go that route, rather than the one when they gave you 7 days for the price of 4, which only saved you about $20.

-Rob

Thing is, those promos had major restrictions that prevented most people from getting to participate. You either had to go to Disney on your birthday or go through a Disney approved volunteer program in advance. The majority of guests didn't benefit.

This sounds like it will be available to everybody. So I can see Disney essentially giving everyone $8 worth of tickets instead of a few people $80 worth.

I'd be very surprised if everyone got the equivalent of a 1-day admission deducted from the cost of a multi-day pass. Shocked even.

vinnya1726

Maybe it is just my wishful thinking, but i think their is more to this than we are expecting. The disney executives saw what happened at at D23, I do not think they are going to make the same mistake twice. It very well could be a marketing campaign of some kind...but my gut tells me something more is up. Maybe we will get firm dates on the openings of carsland and fantasyland expansion in addition to some of what we have already heard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom