New Year's Eve Announcement?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Does anyone actually want to be in the parks for 24 hours? I really don't get it. Most guests are wiped out after 12 hours in the parks, nevermind 24.
Does anyone really want to run 23.6 miles, do a triathlon or climb Everest? Not really. You do it for the sense of acomplisment at the end. If I had the time I would do it just to say I did it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone really want to run 23.6 miles, do a triathlon or climb Everest? Not really. You do it for the sense of acomplisment at the end. If I had the time I would do it just to say I did it.

I actually think they do want to run the marathons etc LOL. It is a heck of an achievement that rewards years of training. I know when I had trained for a half marathon I was itching to do it. Staying in a Disney park for 24 hours doesn't really reward anything, other than drinking a lot of coffee. I don't know, maybe it is just me, I don't get the appeal, if there is any. :shrug:

Atomicmickey

Based upon the stuff that they just released, that is posted on the main page, I'm guessing this is just going to be some marketing-speak. Whatever it is, it's happening in 2012, so it's not a new attraction/land/whatever.

My bet is on completely underwhelming manipulative marketing baloney.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I actually think they do want to run the marathons etc LOL. It is a heck of an achievement that rewards years of training. I know when I had trained for a half marathon I was itching to do it. Staying in a Disney park for 24 hours doesn't really reward anything, other than drinking a lot of coffee. I don't know, maybe it is just me, I don't get the appeal, if there is any. :shrug:
It is just like I do not get the appeal of a marathon outside of the feeling of accomplishment at the end when I read all of these "I puked 4 times between mile marker 18 and 22." stories.:lol:

Rob562

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for the "Free on your birthday" promo, as I'm actually planning to be in WDW for my birthday anyway... And doing it on a leap year avoids any confusion leap-year-babies have with getting their free day...

-Rob

RSoxNo1

LOL, if that little video on top doesn't tell you the parks are opening for 24 hours on Feb 29th, nothing will. :ROFLOL:

I hate when Disney does stuff like this that does nothing for you unless you are a local or just happen to be in Disney on vacation at that time.

This is why I cancelled my D23 membership. Other than the magazines, which I liked, it offered nothing else. Plus it was some of the worst service I ever received from any company.

Yeah I woud say 24 consecutive hours is definitely possible. As for D23, I still think Disney doesn't know what to do with it. I enjoy the magazine but find myself not reading it right away. The most recent one is sitting on my coffee table half read.

I love the idea of D23 taking over the less significant anniversaries, and I wish they would also take over retro merchandise. I've said it in the past as well, I would love to see D23 members get more access to things like Mickey's of Glendale - perhaps as part of the D23 online shop.

My bet's on the next marketing campaign. I've been hearing rumors that the next campaign is going to be a return to the extremely successful "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day" volunteering campaign, and the post from Disney above is titled "One More Disney Day."

tumblr_lw2ujyPpUF1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Hmmm...

I really think there's something to this. I vaguely remember hearing something about a return to the give a day get a day with a focus on the giving a day to someone that otherwise couldn't get one. The thought process being that instead of earning a day for yourself, you would earn a day for someone less fortunate. I'm not sure where I heard this as a possibility, but it very well could have been something Jim Hill mentioned - I can't seem to find it anywhere so if anyone else recalls this let me know I'm not imagining things.

71jason

Does anyone actually want to be in the parks for 24 hours? I really don't get it. Most guests are wiped out after 12 hours in the parks, nevermind 24.

It's a stunt--never underestimate that. Ice! does a promotion every December where you can run through the exhibit in your bathing suit, basically risking hypotermia after the second room. Not sure why anyone would actually want to do that, but over a hundred of us did just because we could.

ETA: I think midnight premieres are the same way, especially a Pirates or a Potter where half the audience is dressed up. The only real benefit is seeing the movie 18 hours before everyone else, but people still line up.

Same thing here. Never really had any interest in spending 24 straight hours in MK, but for the ability to say after that I'm one of the few who has ever done it, yeah, probably will.

Ultimately I suspect this will be 95% local fanbois like me (thinking a heavy College Program presence as well), but all Disney needs is a crowd to film and fill the "water-skiing squirrel" spot on local newscasts around the country.

Brian Noble

It's a stunt--never underestimate that.
The more I think about it, the more I think this is exactly the point. And, not for the people in the park on Leap Day. But, instead, to get plenty of mainstream media "human interest" coverage---those wacky Disney folks!---which is to say, free advertising.

AEfx

Yup. :)

If it's true, I'll totally be there. Will probably fly in (and I never fly anymore unless it's an emergency, and this counts!), go, and fly out at the end, should it be true. Can sleep on the plane in between. Would be perfect since I usually have Mon and Tues free anyway, and all it would cost me is one cheap plane ticket and food. Would also need a way from Airport to Park, but I think I could cover that easily as well.

For about $150 total, I'd get my MK fix - and if you don't think I can ride rides for 24 hours, especially Snow White (may she survive that long), y'all have not met a Disney fan yet, LOL.

Mouse Detective

I don't get the appeal, if there is any. :shrug:

I don't think the appeal is to actually spend a full 24 hours in the park, but instead the appeal is to go inside at midnight and spend the entire night in there. That's something you just can't do.

I was hoping the announcement was something more tangible but the video's name "One More Day" seems to refer to Leap Year Day.

Timekeeper

Similar to what someone mentioned above, just because Wal-Mart is open for 24 hours doesn't mean that I want to spend 24 consecutive hours in there. Well, I once knew a guy who... :lookaroun

This sounds to me like an opportunity for Disney to sell a new kind of "I Survived..." t-shirt. :ROFLOL:

etwtec

Just a thought but if the announcement is about the new campaign, Isn't there a possibility it will also include other things that will be going on During the new campaign? like attractions, entertainment, etc?

I don't think the appeal is to actually spend a full 24 hours in the park, but instead the appeal is to go inside at midnight and spend the entire night in there. That's something you just can't do.

This is my feeling on it. I get the giggles when I think about leaving my sleeping family in the room, while I get to be at the park in the wee hours, and get some amazing pictures of sunrise from inside the MK!

TinkIce

I really think there's something to this. I vaguely remember hearing something about a return to the give a day get a day with a focus on the giving a day to someone that otherwise couldn't get one. The thought process being that instead of earning a day for yourself, you would earn a day for someone less fortunate. I'm not sure where I heard this as a possibility, but it very well could have been something Jim Hill mentioned - I can't seem to find it anywhere so if anyone else recalls this let me know I'm not imagining things.

I think this may be what it ends up being. If you look at the name of the website on the tab of your browser window, it reads "One More Disney Day|Share Your Disney Day|Disney Parks". Maybe this means Disney will give people the option to either give someone else the free day or take it for themselves. You know, like when the AK cast members ask if you want to donate money to the Wildlife Fund and you either say "yeah sure" or "no thanks" :ROFLOL:

From the Disney World Twitter-

Watch ________ Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve Dec. 31 for a special announcement by @DisneyParks #Disney24

If that second hashtag doesn't confirm it I don't know what will

DDPGambit

My guess is longer park hours. "This year is a great year to visit because all theme parks are open later! Get more magic for your money!" or something of that sort. Sure there's incremental costs associated with operating the parks longer, but the additional revenue stream they feel it will bring in will negate that. Keep each park open 1-2 additional hours each day, maybe add or plus a few new nighttime shows.

bhg469

I say it will be something like buy a 4 day pass, get another day free. I can see it having a minimum like a 4 day or longer.

If it is anything morethsn this I will be shocked. All I can see is you getting a "free day" in place of any other discount that might be there in previous years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom