New SSE Narrator

Scar Junior

In my opinion, the vast majority of these suggestions are very unoriginal. You may think they would be a good choice, and you are entitled to that opinion. But many/most of the suggestions have been actors who have made substantial careers out of their voice; voices that are instantly recognizable and thus deter from the point/message of the show. It's basic entertainment theory that instantly recognizable and iconic voices are poor choices for use in voice-over roles. The audience is constantly reminded of the 'constructedness' of the attraction.

In some instances this (iconic voice) is used on purpose; a self-reflexiveness that is evident by characters in Mulan, Aladdin and The Emporer's New Groove. However, in an attraction such as SSE, I don't see any way that self-reflexivity can be useful for the attraction's purpose.

I want to be clear that while Jeremy Irons has a recognizable voice to some, it pales in comparison to those of aforementioned suggestions: Walter Cronkite, James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman, Patrick Stewart, etc.

- Scar

ThumperDude

Why they replaced Walter Cronkite, I'll never know. He leant an ear of importance, respectablity and crediblity to the attraction. I wish they'd bring him back. I dominating force to the ride.
Now they'll probally go with the voice of Stitch or Eddie Murphy to update it for the new generation. Give me a break. Some things are better left as they were.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you want to keep Irons, at least re-record the dialogue and let him decide if he`s English or American.

nelsonj3

Does each car have its own speaker, or is there one speaker for each group of cars as they go through the ride? I know that when we are in one section of the ride, we can hear the spiel several cars back, which is not in sync with our car, because they are at a different point of the ride. But does the person directly in front of me or directly behind me have their own speaker, or are we on the same one? If they have a different speaker, then the problem with your idea would be that I would have a rider directly in front of me whose speaker is not in sync with mine and it would be like hearing two people talking at the same time, which wouldn't be very good, IMO.

That's true. I didn't think about that. There are speakers in each headrest, and I think each vehicle's spiel is timed separately to where it is in the attraction. That's why you hear the spiel from the vehicle behind you after you've already heard it in yours.

Scar Junior

If you want to keep Irons, at least re-record the dialogue and let him decide if he`s English or American.

:lol: Jeremy Irons has done many independent/non-Hollywood films. As a Jeremy Irons fan (and film student) I have seen him convincingly play characters from England, France, America, Ireland and other countries... he has a great voice. I love him as a villain (obviously, hence the sn)... but I totally see your point. To much of the American media/society he is very much under the radar (another reason I think he is a good SE narrator), and he has the ability to be ambiguous with his image.

Sure, he's won an academy award, emmy award (x2), SAG award, golden globe and tony award... but he somehow avoids the media. I can't help but feel that these accolades mixed with his ability to avoid popular culture make him a top candidate for (retaining) the SSE narration.

hrcollectibles

Don Imus... just kidding people I heard he has a lot of free time on his hands.. ok here is my list

Samuel L. Jackson ( snakes on the earth)
Homer Simpson ( MMMMMM the Future)
Will Ferrel As Ron Burgendy ( You stay classy Planet Earth)
And for the Wrasslin Fans:

Stone Called Steve Austin (Welcome to spacehsip earht. What? I said Spaceship Earth)
The Rock ( Finally the Rock has come back to SPaceship Earth)
VInce McMahon ( I may be bald but I can buy this ride)

My Vote goes to Walter...

e4ymod

I would vote for Paul Frees if he were still alive.

My real vote goes to James Earl Jones and Morgan Freeman.

DisneyMusician2

People that I don't want to narrate:
  • William Shatner ("In this...our...SPACEship...Earth...Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn!!!")
  • Larry the Cable Guy ("And here we have the Renerasanse. Gee that's purty!")
  • Arnold Schwartzinneger ("Stay seated, your wehicle is rotating bahckwards for its return to Eaurth")
And, a few that I couldn't come up with jokes for, but are still fun to speculate:
  • Donald Trump
  • Ben Stein
  • The Voice of the Monorail
  • Eric Idle

William Shatner is the way to go! It would be an unforgettable experience, and we could talk about it forever on the boards.

CJR

I like the idea of having Morgan Freeman doing it. He's well known by a lot of people now days and would be a great voice to welcome you to Epcot.

Scooter

How about that Lady who narrated the movie in The Living Seas?
I don't know her name but she has a great voice.

"It rained..and rained...and rained...the deluge"
"Rome burned...and burned... and burned...the fall"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom