New Quick Service McDonalds location at Magic Kingdom

CoffeeJedi

shoppingnut said:
And to those of you that are so crazed over the corporate infiltration of McD's, you need to get past it because that is what disney is built on, just look at all the rides and don't think that just because they sponsor a ride they aren't selling stuff in the parks because they are, cases in point, Kodak film, Nestle toll house cookies, Nestle candy, Frito Lay chips, etc.
Its a question of intrusiveness. A small sign that says "Presented by Kodak" is fine, but the obnoxious Kodak ad before HISTA is intrusive.
Likewise, the red/yellow/white pipes and "presented by" sign on Dinosaur are fine, but the smell of greasy food and large corporate McD's logos are intrusive and unwelcome.

ToTBellHop

CoffeeJedi said:
Its a question of intrusiveness. A small sign that says "Presented by Kodak" is fine, but the obnoxious Kodak ad before HISTA is intrusive.
Likewise, the red/yellow/white pipes and "presented by" sign on Dinosaur are fine, but the smell of greasy food and large corporate McD's logos are intrusive and unwelcome.
Maybe to you, but most of America doesn't have a problem with McDonalds--as is made clear in most large towns and cities that will have a McDonalds every two blocks--clearly they are getting adequate business, and Disney would not continue to open McDonalds food locations if they weren't making money. Just don't eat there if you don't like it. I don't particularly like Japanese food, but I don't think Teppenyaki needs to be ripped out because of that--I won't eat there and many other people will. Some people, kids especially, can be picky eaters and will only eat things they are familiar with--Mickey D's included.

shoppingnut

CoffeeJedi said:

Not to mention the Kodak Picture Spots that are everywhere.

I find the smell of the cooking food, the hot dogs & FF at Casey's nausating when I walk by it, so I just walk on the other side of the street.

CoffeeJedi

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Maybe to you, but most of America doesn't have a problem with McDonalds--as is made clear in most large towns and cities that will have a McDonalds every two blocks--clearly they are getting adequate business, and Disney would not continue to open McDonalds food locations if they weren't making money. Just don't eat there if you don't like it.
I'm out in the world then, in public space, filled with mini malls and garbage and cars and reality. It's just a fast food joint out there, doesn't bother me at all. But INSIDE the parks? It just feels so wrong. I guess I wouldn't mind if it was toned down some, but the smell really turns me off (in much the same way smoking does), and the logos stick out anachronistically in the fantasy settings. When I'm walking down the street in a frontier town, i don't want to see a McDonalds logo, it hurts the immersiveness.
I don't particularly like Japanese food, but I don't think Teppenyaki needs to be ripped out because of that
And that's fine if you don't like it, that doesn't make you somehow "wrong", but you can at least admit that it fits the theme, Japan. And its not intrusive either, its just hanging out in the Japanese pavilion, it doesn't intrude out into the general space of the area the way McDonalds does.

MissM

I don't like McDonalds and I won't be eating there. (And Love will continue to walk the extra few yards to Casey's instead for his hotdogs I'm sure.) But I don't mind if they re-open the location as food station again. Just so long as they don't close Mrs. Potts. Those strawberry shortcakes are so delish! :slurp:
-m

Chape19714

Hey Disneyland already has several McDonald's Fry Stands throught the park...I'm suprised we've been getting away with one for so long.

For the Record, McDonalds Products can be found at:

Frontierland Fries
Refreshment Port (Epcot)
Fairfax Fries (Sunset Blvd.)
Restrauntasaurus
Dino Digs (I believe that's the name)
Downtown Disney

Multiple locations around the Disneyland Parks as well.

Dwarful

Well, I am glad that something is going in this spot. We spend lots of time in Fantasyland and it can be a challenge to find drinks, seems like a lot of places close early or open late in this area...hello, little kids and parents hauling all their crap get thirsty!

With that said, I must admit that I am disappointed that it is going to be McD's. I am not big on McD's and its funny because the only thing my girls really like are the toys in the Happy Meals...they get the nuggets, apple slices and bottled water usually. Personnally when I am at WDW I'm not thinking ..."Wow, you know what would make this great...McD's"

Magicot

CoffeeJedi said:
When I'm walking down the street in a frontier town, i don't want to see a McDonalds logo, it hurts the immersiveness.

I completely, 100% agree. That McDonalds logo holds so much cultural meaning- and that's a fact that no one can deny. However, that meaning differs between people. For me, it's resembles the following: unhealthy, cheap, huge corporation, modern american obsession. For someone else it may mean: delicious, inexpensive, well-known, assuring. It depends on the person.

This kind of symbol in the transition between a frontier town and a pirate plaza, to me, is completely out of place and takes me out of the magic immediately.

jeffb

joeyjoe92979 said:
It's the heartburn...Isn't it?

Its more of the "I generally feel like crap" after eating a McDonalds meal, with tiredness as a second side effect. But the good that comes out of this is it keeps me away from most burger fast food places.

SpongeScott

CJR said:
Kids will "Want to eat at Mc Donald's!" Any parent that doesn't want to listen to their kid complain about what they're eating will take them there. Kids love it, and I guess I'm a kid (Ok, I'm in denial) because I love it too. I love their fries, Chicken Nuggets, and dollar cheese burgers. Although they won't be that cheap in WDW. Still, families will flock to it. There are still plenty of adults that like Mc Donald's, so it's not just for kids. I personally believe that some of the people who are opposed to eating at Mc Donald's are part of the "in" steriotype (Much like the Coke vs. Pepsi thing, many people that say they like Pepsi say it because it's "in"). If the kids like it, it'll serve it's purpose.
Exactly. Give a kid a choice of lunch at McD's in Fantasyland or Columbia Harbor House or Pecos Bills and guess what they are going to choose. This is not being catered to the adults and I understand why the majority of adults here don't want to and will not eat there. It's all for the kids--and the parent's money.

CoffeeJedi

CJR said:
I personally believe that some of the people who are opposed to eating at Mc Donald's are part of the "in" steriotype (Much like the Coke vs. Pepsi thing, many people that say they like Pepsi say it because it's "in").
Pepsi is "in"? i must be pretty out of it. I prefer Coke, but whatever.
I'm opposed to McDonald's because its cheap tasting food with dubious nutritional content, from a company that doesn't have the best environmental track record. There's better food out there for about the same amount of money.

The only place i could see a McD's not intruding thematically would be MGM Studios. They could theme it to look like one of the old 1950's drive-in eateries, that might actually be kinda cool. (i still wouldn't eat there, but i might get a cherry coke)

banimall

It's actually funny the way McDonalds fits into life. Don't want to cook at home, go to McDonalds, don't want to walk an extra 50 yards at Magic Kingdom to get something better to eat, go to McDonalds. They could at least throw in some nuggets at those stands.

Kwit35

CoffeeJedi said:
and the logos stick out anachronistically in the fantasy settings.
Say that 10 times really fast...:lol:
I agree with you about strong smells and how they can completely ruin your day. Strong perfume and cigarettes just kill me. We are talking major headache, instantly.
I am a diet-coke-aholic and I only like diet coke from McDonalds (wierd, I know). Therefore, I am at McDonalds everyday. When I go to Disney, I want things that I can't get everyday. mmmmmm, Dole Whips.
I can also see how the familiarity of McD's could be comforting for some people. My point? You can't please all the people all the time.

MKCP 1985

I do not like the McDonalds in Frontierland at the Magic Kingdom. That stand really detracts from the theming of the land, IMO.

McDonald's in Fantasyland. :rolleyes:

Oh well. There is no lack of corporate sponsorship all around the parks, so I'll get over it.

And their fries are pretty good, comparatively speaking. Having worked at Casey's as well as an ill fated hot dog stand on Center Street (the little flowery/side street area on Main Street), I can tell you it is impossible to mess up a hot dog!

So, let the ankle biters grab their dogs and fries and go play in the Pooh-ground, and that represents less congestion at Pinocchio's for me! :)

KumbaRider

jeffb said:
I would rather have Disney fries while at the World over McDonalds. You can get McDonalds pretty much anywhere and I never feel to good after I eat McDonalds anyway.

Exactly! I never understand why people buy the McDonald's food on property. Most travel from all over just to get to Walt Disney World, with so many diverse and delicious dining options, and yet they resort to McDonald's, the boring, disgusting, typical fast food.

debpeduz

When you are on vacation, especially at WDW, who wants to eat at McDonalds? I sure don't. You can get McDonalds anywhere and pretty much at any time of the day all over the U.S. I for one will walk anywhere I need to if I am wanting a particular item at a food venue at Disney. All of the food is so much better at any other dining location than at a McDonalds anyhow.

I think it is good to reopen the location in FL, but not with a McDonalds.:hurl:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
McD's fries and a hotdog would be a big upgrade compared to another turkey leg cart - the idea of it even makes me ill.

I'm just happy that the place is going to be open as it's always been sorta odd looking closed.

Foolish Mortal

CoffeeJedi said:
I HATE MCDONALDS.
hate hate hate hate hate them
Their food flat out SUCKS! Greasy tasteless blobs of chemical run-off with zero nutritional value. You couldn't PAY me to eat at McD's.
And I hate to see a McDonald's logo in a WDW park, it makes me sick to my stomach. It totally clashes with the atmosphere and sticks out like a rotting boil on a pretty girl's face.
Who's with me? Boycott the in-park McD's locations!

I am SO with you !!!! I dont mind McSlops sponsoring a ride, I can live with that. I go to WDW to GET AWAY from seeing McSlops all over the place. I havent read all the posts in this thread yet and im sure it's probably been said a few times, no I dont like it and NO I wont go in. I dont need to be in a Disney park and see a damn McSlops. No matter what the size is. Whats next a giant set of arches, the type you see going down a busy highway, blocking the view of the castle ?

And come on people, your on vacation, you can live without McSlops for a stinkin week. Your local McSlops will be there when you get home.

Giant boo to the IDIOT at Disney who approved this. Way to ruin the atmosphere !!! Thanks alot !!

SpongeScott

Foolish Mortal said:
I am SO with you !!!! I dont mind McSlops sponsoring a ride, I can live with that. I go to WDW to GET AWAY from seeing McSlops all over the place. I havent read all the posts in this thread yet and im sure it's probably been said a few times, no I dont like it and NO I wont go in. I dont need to be in a Disney park and see a damn McSlops. No matter what the size is. Whats next a giant set of arches, the type you see going down a busy highway, blocking the view of the castle ?

And come on people, your on vacation, you can live without McSlops for a stinkin week. Your local McSlops will be there when you get home.

Giant boo to the IDIOT at Disney who approved this. Way to ruin the atmosphere !!! Thanks alot !!
you also need to be clearer on how you feel, Steve. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom