News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

lazyboy97o

Or go to the parks. Without the white glove service. And actually experience what the guests are paying for.

It's like watching a robot during PR events. They should be fun and exciting yet you have this chrome-dome talking up the latest addition like he's reading the obituaries. Even the SWGE openings were bad and there was plenty for him to hype up.
You’d think some even rudimentary public speaking and acting classes would just be a requirement for the public facing leadership of an entertainment company.

TikibirdLand

Another member of the Cranium Command cast passes away. RIP :(

For those who don't know, he was Left Brain.

Thanks for the link. I read through all of the performances he was in. What an incredible actor! He was one that was always there, playing the father / curmudgeon / everyman role in so many movies and plays during the 70's and 80's. I'll miss Charles Grodin!

Inspired Figment

Ultimately, the ‘real’
problem with Iger & Chapek is that they’re repeating the late Eisner & Pressler years simply because they were from that very same reign/management/administration. They did basically the bare minimum at “fixing” Eisner’s blunders in acquiring the companies he failed to, like Pixar, Muppets Studios, Lucasfilm, and the like.. otherwise, the synergy crap and all… that’s a repeat of the late 90s/early 00s EPCOT, just with an even tighter focus on Universal-esque film IP or celebrity focused rides that make little to no effort in actually tying into real world concepts & cultures, but rather the films’ own fictional stories with little to no real original content or a focus on the concepts they should be focused on. That, and it’s coming at the expense of original park concepts that were popular and had memorable themes & characters as-is. Making the film IP overlays completely useless. (looking at you.. pointlessly redone, Honey, I Shrunk/Medfield college themed Journey Into Imagination pavilion 👀)

What they really needed was better marketing, merchandising, & expanded exposure on park original concepts.

Last edited:

DoleWhipDrea

Is the play pavilion still opening up this year? Did they change whats going to be inside?

If WDI has made any changes, it would have to be more on the minimal side, as sets had already been fabricated for PLAY! Luckily for them, it looks like there's at least a decent amount of it that leans into digital technology, which means that a lot can be changed. Still, it's a play area for kids, which is a problem right now when little ones can't get vaccinated. The recommended age has dropped down to starting at 12 recently for some of the vaccines, so things are getting better.

I figure Disney is hoping that they can get it open alongside GotG:CR so that there's a decent play area available to children while the older set will check out the new ride or M:S in the same vicinity.

UNCgolf

The problem with Edutainment is that a person can be repeatedly entertained, but the can typically only be educated once.

Pure entertainment has much greater staying power.

"thank the Phoenicians" was cute the first time I heard it...

But Spaceship Earth is still better and more entertaining than 90-95% of the rides on WDW property.

It all depends on what entertains you, of course.

Last edited:

_caleb

The problem with Edutainment is that a person can be repeatedly entertained, but the can typically only be educated once.

Well-designed educational content is multi-layered—each pass teaches the learner and prepares them for the lessons they will learn in the next pass.

Epcot’s edutainment was designed like this. The entertainment drew the guest in. They also happened to learn something (perhaps unknowingly!). Then they came back and—through exploration—had the opportunity to use what they had learned to find more entertainment. (Which, by the way is an excellent near-term reward for learning).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

If they do it right, it doesn’t matter. I’m still in awe of Spaceship Earth a thousand rides later. And I still get excited to hop on Living with the Land.

DoleWhipDrea

If they do it right, it doesn’t matter. I’m still in awe of Spaceship Earth a thousand rides later. And I still get excited to hop on Living with the Land.
Not only are these two my top favorites in EPCOT, but throughout all of WDW. I can't hear other guests on SSE, but every trip on LwtL, there are guests of all ages excitedly reacting to what they are seeing with farming, pointing out all sorts of things to their group, and talking about what they might want to try growing when they get back home. Edutainment in EPCOT's purpose is to inspire you and teach you useful knowledge that you can bring home with you and use in your everyday life to make it better. You can bet that I've been researching various hydroponics systems for when I am able to install one!

Edutainment can work when it's done right. I don't expect much edutainment from the PLAY! Pavilion, but I am kinda hoping that Edna Mode will discuss the best types of materials for superhero-level activities and which fabrics to absolutely stay away from if they're flammable.

The Grand Inquisitor

If WDI has made any changes, it would have to be more on the minimal side, as sets had already been fabricated for PLAY! Luckily for them, it looks like there's at least a decent amount of it that leans into digital technology, which means that a lot can be changed. Still, it's a play area for kids, which is a problem right now when little ones can't get vaccinated. The recommended age has dropped down to starting at 12 recently for some of the vaccines, so things are getting better.

I figure Disney is hoping that they can get it open alongside GotG:CR so that there's a decent play area available to children while the older set will check out the new ride or M:S in the same vicinity.
Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks for the update! :)

doctornick

Is the Play Pavilion going to utilize the old Body Wars show building area at all? I don't think it will if I understand correctly. If not, is the pavilion set up in a way that in the future a new ride could be put into that space and accessed? In other words, did the designers here at least leave open the possibility of expansion to include a proper ride in this space if down the road TDO is willing to fund it?

FigmentFan82

Is the Play Pavilion going to utilize the old Body Wars show building area at all? I don't think it will if I understand correctly. If not, is the pavilion set up in a way that in the future a new ride could be put into that space and accessed? In other words, did the designers here at least leave open the possibility of expansion to include a proper ride in this space if down the road TDO is willing to fund it?
I believe that as it stands the plans are to only use the interior dome space for the new features. Body Wars area and Cranium Command area seem to not be used as off the current plans

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom