News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

Bocabear

The "Lame Festival Center" at least had some pretty good classes and seminars...Though it should have been placed into Communicore West...and WOL should have gotten a new theme and attraction... "Play": Instagram Playground could have also gone into the Innoventions portion of the Communicore West saving a million dollars worth of Demo and construction costs...
That money could have then been spent on attractions that are the thing that will make for a better guest experience...Not an empty football field-length plaza...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And with that, most people have no idea what the heck this thing even is. The descriptions of it always sound lackluster too:
In the future, the Play! pavilion will present an interactive city where guests discover games and experiences that connect them with their favorite Disney characters, demonstrating how ''play is essential to innovation , exploration, and creativity in the world around us.''

Imagine a family reading this and realizing it's a dressed up playground in a park you're spending $110 to experience. It honestly sounds like a glorified arcade. But I'm glad something is going into the dome that isn't a lame "festival center".
For many families, M&Gs are a big thing, and they'll be concentrated in PLAY!

Not to mention air conditioning and a place to sit and rest. It's like Ellen's all over again!

Bocabear

For many families, M&Gs are a big thing, and they'll be concentrated in PLAY!

Not to mention air conditioning and a place to sit and rest. It's like Ellen's all over again!
Back in the day, seeing the characters was a magical little thing that just happened.. It was not expected or demanded. I don't get the fascination with it, but it has given way to closing actual attractions to make room to have your picture taken with someone in a costume. there are already character photo spots and character meals...They should not take over actual attraction pavilions for more... Maybe that should be the 5th gate... Disney's Instagram Kingdom. it could be all M&Gs and shopping, and just $110 for admission...lol

The Aracuan Bird

Right, forgot about him. The trio of Eisner, Wells, and Katzenberg was such a tremendous team! Literally saved the company and transformed it for better or worse into what it is today. I loved all the little things Eisner did, like intro every Wonderful World of Disney movie, or appearing in commercials or other official segments. Really help sell the image that he had plan. This is something severely lacking with Iger and Chapek.
They lack the charisma and presence Eisner had. They’re too above doing little skits with silly cartoon characters. Eisner understood why Walt’s presence was adored, and tried to recreate it. It’s probably why he’s so revered today despite his major blunders.

FigmentFan82

WoL was one of my favorite pavilions as a kid, as it's still sad that they couldn't find a way to bring it back to life in some way (pun intended)
That said, and not to harp on this again, but as a father of now 2 kids, something that is genuinely for them is a great thing to have in a park that can at times feel like it mostly wants to cater to the grown-ups, which again I know is not true. Character moments can be really special for kids and for me as a parent to able to have a picture of that memory is a wonderful thing.

DreamfinderGuy

No. It sticks in my craw that disney maintained and updated the building as a festival center better than how they just let the building as the former sit and rot away with absolutely nothing new/updated since 1989. Lol
The way the ceiling in all areas of the pavilion began to mold and leak with nothing done about it (or even completely collapsing in the case of Cranium Command) would disagree with you on maintenance.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The way the ceiling in all areas of the pavilion began to mold and leak with nothing done about it (or even completely collapsing in the case of Cranium Command) would disagree with you on maintenance.
5853775B-F0FE-4741-8716-A78DCD5A5090.jpeg

FigmentFan82

Like what they had in a perfectly good building that they wasted money on demolishing?
Dude, I'm not trying to pick a fight.

I just want my kids to have a good time. I wish they didn't demolish so much, but I can't do much about that.

My main point was that a character meet isn't some trivial thing that some here make fun of. It can be really special to a kid.

The Aracuan Bird

I just want my kids to have a good time. I wish they didn't demolish so much, but I can't do much about that.

My main point was that a character meet isn't some trivial thing that some here make fun of. It can be really special to a kid.
Sure. But using a building designed for several attractions as a glorified playground and meet and greet isn’t efficient. Epcot’s arguably the worst park when it comes to efficient use of space, and this is hardly an improvement from when Wonders was closed and Innoventions West (?) was still standing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

No, I agree. No fight intended. Just pointing out what the post above this one said better.

brb1006

Right, forgot about him. The trio of Eisner, Wells, and Katzenberg was such a tremendous team! Literally saved the company and transformed it for better or worse into what it is today. I loved all the little things Eisner did, like intro every Wonderful World of Disney movie, or appearing in commercials or other official segments. Really help sell the image that he had plan. This is something severely lacking with Iger and Chapek.
As much as we bash Eisner, I seriously miss the days when Eisner used to appear in tons of Disney TV Specials and other media outside of just making PR statements and speeches throughout the 1990s and early 2000s.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

And Finally Exhibit C

That's one thing that Iger and Chapek are notably lacking where they are mainly used for PR speeches. Plus Eiger's speeches are mostly serious, stern, and monotone, while Chapek's speeches comes off as awkward and forced. Compare that to Eisner's speeches being more charismatic and genuine (and a bit awkward in a charming way).

Last edited:

trainplane3

As much as we bash Eisner, I seriously miss the days when Eisner used to appear in tons of Disney TV Specials and other media outside of just making PR statements and speeches throughout the 1990s and early 2000s. That's one thing that Eiger and Chapek are notably lacking where they are mainly used for PR speeches. Plus Eiger's speeches are mostly serious, stern, and monotone, while Chapek's speeches comes off as awkward and forced compared to Eisner being more charismatic and genuine.
Or go to the parks. Without the white glove service. And actually experience what the guests are paying for.

It's like watching a robot during PR events. They should be fun and exciting yet you have this chrome-dome talking up the latest addition like he's reading the obituaries. Even the SWGE openings were bad and there was plenty for him to hype up.

brb1006

Or go to the parks. Without the white glove service. And actually experience what the guests are paying for.

It's like watching a robot during PR events. They should be fun and exciting yet you have this chrome-dome talking up the latest addition like he's reading the obituaries. Even the SWGE openings were bad and there was plenty for him to hype up.
Yeah, Iger's speeches almost puts me to sleep. And don't get me started with Chapek, I still remember his speech from D23 2019.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom