News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

The Aracuan Bird

I don't think Let It Go is even a top 20 Disney song. That doesn't make it a bad song, though -- Disney has just had a lot of great songs over 80 years.

Regardless, I don't have any problem with Frozen or Moana in the parks (they're both solid movies). I have a problem with them in EPCOT (and I think FEA is a bad ride, but that has nothing to do with the IP). Put them in the Magic Kingdom or DHS where they belong.
They’re shoe ins for Magic Kingdom. Moana is based on Polynesian Culture, and there was a Snow Queen boat ride planned for Disneyland Fantasyland. Make new attractions on expansion plots and it would be a slam dunk.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Regardless, I don't have any problem with Frozen or Moana in the parks (they're both solid movies). I have a problem with them in EPCOT (and I think FEA is a bad ride, but that has nothing to do with the IP). Put them in the Magic Kingdom or DHS where they belong.
Totally understandable

DisneyDean97

It was indeed. But like Epcot it’s another mish mash of a park that’s lost its way.
Say what you will about Eisner (and there's a lot to say) but he at least appreciated the fact that not every park needed to be a Magic Kingdom, MGM and Animal Kingdom were different and didn't try to be a Magic Kingdom 2.0... something Iger and Chepak can't seem to understand

Movielover

Say what you will about Eisner (and there's a lot to say) but he at least appreciated the fact that not every park needed to be a Magic Kingdom, MGM and Animal Kingdom were different and didn't try to be a Magic Kingdom 2.0... something Iger and Chepak can't seem to understand
Yeah... He just let Epcot rot away in staleness after the year 2000 with the only major addition being the 1 good thing from DCA, another Eisner blunder. I miss early career Eisner, the man saved the company and made it incredible but there is no denying that after the failure of Euro Disneyland and the sacking of Katzenberg that Eisner changed and made bad decision after bad decision. Epcot was a corpse for the entirety of the 2000's and only now under Iger/Chepak is the company heavily investing in it. Are they good investments? subjective, but at least the company is actually investing in the place again. Remember it was Eisner who insisted the Disney characters appear in Epcot, since before his hiring they were nowhere to be found, this being one of the many complaints the GP had about early Epcot Center.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Edutainment hasn’t died. Good management has died. There’s a drastic difference.

Nice deflection. Wonders of Life is still closed 14 years later and the financial viability of edutainment was determined to have insufficient ROI compared to other uses of park space. It sticks in your craw that a festival outperformed your pet pavallion?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah... He just let Epcot rot away in staleness after the year 2000 with the only major addition being the 1 good thing from DCA, another Eisner blunder. I miss early career Eisner, the man saved the company and made it incredible but there is no denying that after the failure of Euro Disneyland and the sacking of Katzenberg that Eisner changed and made bad decision after bad decision. Epcot was a corpse for the entirety of the 2000's and only now under Iger/Chepak is the company heavily investing in it. Are they good investments? subjective, but at least the company is actually investing in the place again. Remember it was Eisner who insisted the Disney characters appear in Epcot, since before his hiring they were nowhere to be found, this being one of the many complaints the GP had about early Epcot Center.
Eisner was only as good as Wells for the most part.

Movielover

Eisner was only as good as Wells for the most part.
Right, forgot about him. The trio of Eisner, Wells, and Katzenberg was such a tremendous team! Literally saved the company and transformed it for better or worse into what it is today. I loved all the little things Eisner did, like intro every Wonderful World of Disney movie, or appearing in commercials or other official segments. Really help sell the image that he had plan. This is something severely lacking with Iger and Chapek.

TikibirdLand

Nice deflection. Wonders of Life is still closed 14 years later and the financial viability of edutainment was determined to have insufficient ROI compared to other uses of park space. It sticks in your craw that a festival outperformed your pet pavallion?
I think it's a lack of imagination that turned the park into one large Bourbon Street called World Showcase. True, it's the highest gross margin merchandise in all of WDW. So, there's that. I think EPCoT had a higher calling. The problem with Edutainment and visions of the future is that it goes stale pretty quick. Without the sponsors that they liked to lean on to pay the bills, the pavilions were left to rot. The kind of money Disney makes shouldn't allow that to happen. Glad to see some actual spending at EPCoT. But, that same lack of imagination isn't allowing them to come up with quality. As the saying goes, they're spending big bucks, but lack cents (sense, sic).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No. It sticks in my craw that disney maintained and updated the building as a festival center better than how they just let the building as the former sit and rot away with absolutely nothing new/updated since 1989. Lol
It sticks in my craw (whatever that is) that TWDC want to turn an $85 million facility into a kids playground.

trainplane3

It sticks in my craw (whatever that is) that TWDC want to turn an $85 million facility into a kids playground.
And with that, most people have no idea what the heck this thing even is. The descriptions of it always sound lackluster too:
In the future, the Play! pavilion will present an interactive city where guests discover games and experiences that connect them with their favorite Disney characters, demonstrating how ''play is essential to innovation , exploration, and creativity in the world around us.''

Imagine a family reading this and realizing it's a dressed up playground in a park you're spending $110 to experience. It honestly sounds like a glorified arcade. But I'm glad something is going into the dome that isn't a lame "festival center".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom