News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

peter11435

Funding is not an issue…I reject the notion of “cancellation” due to any reason other than gross mismanagement

Which is a two word synonym for Epcot these days.

But tell me…oh well connect oracle of hunter’s creek…what’s the REAL story?
Your ridiculous posting style and constant shifting of the goal post is exhausting. I never said anything about funding. I simply pointed out that this wasn’t a vague idea or announcement of something they had no plans to execute. The project was actively moving along with construction, fabrication, and installation taking place by imagineering, contractors, and vendors. But now you’re changing the subject and moving it along to something else entirely.

There were several reasons the project was reevaluated and cancelled.

aladdin2007

Your ridiculous posting style and constant shifting of the goal post is exhausting. I never said anything about funding. I simply pointed out that this wasn’t a vague idea or announcement of something they had no plans to execute. The project was actively moving along with construction, fabrication, and installation taking place by imagineering, contractors, and vendors. But now you’re changing the subject and moving it along to something else entirely.

maybe for something better, hopefully in the long run? One way to look at it anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The easiest way to avoid the bear is stay out of its lane 🧸

The subject is years of terrible management now bearing its “fruit”…and it applies to pretty much every topic these days…

There is a way to fix it though.

James Alucobond

The subject is years of terrible management now bearing its “fruit”…and it applies to pretty much every topic these days…
The subject of the topic is the PLAY! pavilion, not your generic Walt Disney Company management complaint du jour. You already have plenty of threads you can and do fill with the visions of sweaters and slim jeans that dance in your head.

In the Parks
Yes
What a shame that this had to be canned, even if Disney never officially confirmed that it was cancelled in a standalone post.., was it even worth taking out Vanellope to make way for Figment for nothing..., when Figment should have taken over the other Melody Maker station instead of axing off Vanellope for no reason since her and Ralph's new home never came to be, bc doubt the Windows 98 tech used for that Figment Melody Maker at ImageWorks was going to last any longer(but they're still running for now) :rolleyes:

Twirlnhurl

Was Play! canceled before the NBA Experience crashed and burned? Is there any connection there, or am I just imagining that could be related?

MagicHappens1971

Was Play! canceled before the NBA Experience crashed and burned? Is there any connection there, or am I just imagining that could be related?
I think one of the largest factors was that this was an interactive (touchy-touchy) experience that did not make it into a post pandemic world. Another is probably something that everyone said from day one, experiences like this are outdated before they even open. They need to make a meaningful use of the space.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The subject of the topic is the PLAY! pavilion, not your generic Walt Disney Company management complaint du jour. You already have plenty of threads you can and do fill with the visions of sweaters and slim jeans that dance in your head.
There’s one way to get me to lose interest…

Actually I lied…I’m bored and I’ll move on…

Though I do always love a “window” into what low level WDI are told to keep them inline 🤪

DreamfinderGuy

The decision to cancel Play was made after NBA Experience closed, but before the permanent closure announcement was made. There's not much correlation, aside from them both being interactive experiences and a large amount of the project team having been part of both projects. I think the decision for NBA was more "This had poor attendance pre-COVID, it absolutely couldn't survive post-COVID and we can just blame the closure on the pandemic" and Play was more "Interactive experiences post pandemic? That could be a bad idea, let's press pause." Then when the conversation was held on when/how to unpause it, they realized it just wasn't worth finishing for a variety of factors.

Also worth mentioning one was a standalone experience with separate admission, the other was part of a greater theme park. Attendance wouldn't have been an issue.

Another is probably something that everyone said from day one, experiences like this are outdated before they even open. They need to make a meaningful use of the space.
This was a big thing. Creative on Play was done over five years ago. I spoke to some people on the project team, they openly admitted that much of the tech they were working with was already somewhat dated even then. Opening Play as it was originally envisioned just isn't feasible today, if they were sticking with the same basic concept they would need to start over on a lot of it.

MagicHappens1971

This was a big thing. Creative on Play was done over five years ago. I spoke to some people on the project team, they openly admitted that much of the tech they were working with was already somewhat dated even then. Opening Play as it was originally envisioned just isn't feasible today, if they were sticking with the same basic concept they would need to start over on a lot of it.
Another point (IMO) is that these “video game”-esque attractions were really innovative and cool before the masses had 85” TVs and PS5s at home. It doesn’t make any sense to continue to build similar attractions. That being said, they did build Smugglers Run, which is just a bad video game. Soooooo I guess who knows?

Homemade Imagineering

As much as it pains me to see this pavilion vacant, I can’t help but feel relieved this was canned. To me it seems like it could’ve made for another JII situation, where the abandoned pavilion is given new life again but in a much more mediocre way. We’d likely be stuck with it for decades, so I think they made the right call. I hope Test Track 3.0 is a smashing success and shows disney there’s still interest in what made Epcot special, and helps move the needle for this and Imagination to get the redos they deserve

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom