News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

Animaniac93-98

Another point (IMO) is that these “video game”-esque attractions were really innovative and cool before the masses had 85” TVs and PS5s at home. It doesn’t make any sense to continue to build similar attractions. That being said, they did build Smugglers Run, which is just a bad video game. Soooooo I guess who knows?

Smuggler's Run opened in 2019, so during its development (2015-2017) it probably sounded like a better idea.

James Alucobond

This was a big thing. Creative on Play was done over five years ago. I spoke to some people on the project team, they openly admitted that much of the tech they were working with was already somewhat dated even then. Opening Play as it was originally envisioned just isn't feasible today, if they were sticking with the same basic concept they would need to start over on a lot of it.
I think you could probably salvage the infrastructure. Fundamentally, I don't think there's an issue with the idea of the entire interior of the dome being screens or projections that can shift and change even if the imagined interactivity is bunk. The issue is that the screens can't be the attraction on their own; they need to resurrect the adjacent theaters to whatever extent they can to have something that the dome builds toward.

DreamfinderGuy

I think you could probably salvage the infrastructure. Fundamentally, I don't think there's an issue with the idea of the entire interior of the dome being screens or projections that can shift and change even if the imagined interactivity is bunk. The issue is that the screens can't be the attraction on their own; they need to resurrect the adjacent theaters to whatever extent they can to have something that the dome builds toward.
That's true, and part of the design was so that things could be easily interchanged as time goes on. The problem is they barely installed anything in there, and if they go back to the drawing board I think it would make more sense to build from the ground up instead of around the bones of a half finished project.

HauntedMansionFLA

The decision to cancel Play was made after NBA Experience closed, but before the permanent closure announcement was made. There's not much correlation, aside from them both being interactive experiences and a large amount of the project team having been part of both projects. I think the decision for NBA was more "This had poor attendance pre-COVID, it absolutely couldn't survive post-COVID and we can just blame the closure on the pandemic" and Play was more "Interactive experiences post pandemic? That could be a bad idea, let's press pause." Then when the conversation was held on when/how to unpause it, they realized it just wasn't worth finishing for a variety of factors.

Also worth mentioning one was a standalone experience with separate admission, the other was part of a greater theme park. Attendance wouldn't have been an issue.

This was a big thing. Creative on Play was done over five years ago. I spoke to some people on the project team, they openly admitted that much of the tech they were working with was already somewhat dated even then. Opening Play as it was originally envisioned just isn't feasible today, if they were sticking with the same basic concept they would need to start over on a lot of it.
I heard the technology being outdated too. Another thing that was a huge blow to this project and still cripples the company was the decision to let go their seasonal entertainment cast members. Lots went on to better things and there’s still a struggle to fill those spots.

GladToBeHear

That's true, and part of the design was so that things could be easily interchanged as time goes on. The problem is they barely installed anything in there, and if they go back to the drawing board I think it would make more sense to build from the ground up instead of around the bones of a half finished project.
Do you know if there was ever a consideration to linking the pavilion to M:S and making it a post-mission experience?

DisneyDreamerxyz

As much as it pains me to see this pavilion vacant, I can’t help but feel relieved this was canned. To me it seems like it could’ve made for another JII situation, where the abandoned pavilion is given new life again but in a much more mediocre way. We’d likely be stuck with it for decades, so I think they made the right call. I hope Test Track 3.0 is a smashing success and shows disney there’s still interest in what made Epcot special, and helps move the needle for this and Imagination to get the redos they deserve
They made the pavilion even more hidden when Cosmic Rewind opened by building a curb in front of it with landscaping. The winding walkway up to the pavilion used to be there just blocked off by a rope, now it is totally in-accessible.

When they used it for Food & Wine in 2018 I made a point to go in there because I wanted to see it. It was very retro feeling and old but in a good way.

Cmdr_Crimson

I’m unaware of that ever being actually considered. Hopefully it wasn’t too, the park already has two space themed pavilions as it is. Wonders should be something different.
I still vote for a Weather Pavillon and TDS Storm Rider..

And yes I am aware that body wars ride vehicles were removed but if they could enhance it then it could work..

CJR

It'd be cool if they could maybe do a new take on If You Had Wings, or something. Any dark ride would make me happy. Especially in this wing of the theme park, sandwiched between Guardians and Mission: Space.

Take that, toss in a theater show, add some shopping and exhibits and bam, you're set. It's easy! :cool:😆

doctornick

Could this be made into a theatre or something ??

The entire building would be a waste, but the former pavilion had two dedicated theaters before (one for Making of Me, the other for Cranium Command). And had the show space for Body Wars. And had the indoor walking around area for smaller scale stuff and a small food service counter.

so basically... there's a lot of space that could be used for different things. Personally, I'd really like to see it reopen with both a ride and show - that side of the park could really benefit from a family friendly ride (without height restriction) as well as a show you can easily walk in when desired. If there was also the return of some counter service food, that would be a plus as well.

Disstevefan1

This is a fun and interesting discussion but we know they will do nothing with the building. It makes me wonder, does Disney get tax breaks of buildings not in use?

Lately, it seems TWDC is more interested in what that can write off, write down instead of investing into the parks, especially WDW.

HauntedMansionFLA

This is a fun and interesting discussion but we know they will do nothing with the building. It makes me wonder, does Disney get tax breaks of buildings not in use?

Lately, it seems TWDC is more interested in what that can write off, write down instead of investing into the parks, especially WDW.
I believe at one time there were demolition permits for the building

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom