News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

DreamfinderGuy

I believe at one time there were demolition permits for the building
If you're referring to the one filed in 2012 that was to knock out the soundproof walls that separated the Body Wars bays. Er, at least two of them, they kept the one dividing Bay 1 and 2 for some reason. Then more were filed in 2019 to gut the dome and Cranium Command.

HauntedMansionFLA

If you're referring to the one filed in 2012 that was to knock out the soundproof walls that separated the Body Wars bays. Er, at least two of them, they kept the one dividing Bay 1 and 2 for some reason. Then more were filed in 2019 to gut the dome and Cranium Command.
I thought it was way back in 2007 For the whole thing to come down.

CJR

What do you think about this: what if the future spot of WoL/Play was devoted to a type of travel?

It could tie the area together. Think about it; you already have vehicular travel, space travel, and time travel.

You could do aviation, although the park already has Soarin'. You could do sea travel, but the park already has The Seas with Nemo and Friends (cringe). However, the former focuses more on the landscapes and the latter focuses more on the creatures within, so this option could focus more on the technology.

Not trying to do arm chair Imagineering, but just thinking about what could work here and bring it all together, given their new direction with World Discovery.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
What do you think about this: what if the future spot of WoL/Play was devoted to a type of travel?

It could tie the area together. Think about it; you already have vehicular travel, space travel, and time travel.

You could do aviation, although the park already has Soarin'. You could do sea travel, but the park already has The Seas with Nemo and Friends (cringe). However, the former focuses more on the landscapes and the latter focuses more on the creatures within, so this option could focus more on the technology.

Not trying to do arm chair Imagineering, but just thinking about what could work here and bring it all together, given their new direction with World Discovery.
Teleportation/Portals

Epcot82Guy

I actually think that idea could work. I actually would go with a pavilion done as a tongue-in-cheek version of the history of transportation. (Think the initial portions of Horizons or World of Motion - but focused on travel/exploration.). While part of me hates suggesting this - you could even use the Fab 5 or classic Disney characters to represent major figures like DaVinci, the Wright Brothers, Jules Verne, etc. It could add both some family-friendly experiences to that side of the park (and an indoor space at that). And, World Discovery then becomes tied together under "exploration" let's say. And, this pavilion becomes the "thesis" pavilion (much like Horizons was the thesis pavilion of Future World).

The building itself doesn't lend itself all that well to a dark ride. But, maybe with different leadership, an EPCOT Center-like dark ride featuring the classic characters could actually work in a surprisingly good way.

DreamfinderGuy

Ironically it was a sponsorship with Nat Geo that fell through that put paid to that.

Back when the park was more aligned with that direction.
Was there ever actually any serious development there? I'd love to know just how many failed proposals there have been for WoL in the last 20 years, I'm sure there have been tons that died on the drawing board alone.

Bocabear

With Space on one side and the Xandar Pavilion on the other a Pavilion all about the Cosmos would be a brilliant tie in to both... Multiple attractions, a show, a quick-serve all on a Space station with a glass domed ceiling... At least then the three pavilions could work together... Maybe the Jet Pack spinner from Shanghai Tomorrowland on an elevated platform in the center of the dome, a dark ride, some real science, a lot of fiction...and tons of eye candy...

Disstevefan1

In my opinion, the universe of energy needed to be redone but should have remained to edutain us about the future of energy that is not fossil fuels.

The Wonders of life needed to be redone but should have remained to edutain us about a human health.

The land, (the absolute BEST pavilion) kept its theme and is still popular today.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Come on, we all grudgingly know what this will end up being, right?

......wakanda.....

Black Panther can be used in our parks right? I feel like I've heard this rumor at some point because it could be.
They'll try their hardest to make it fit because we're *learning* about the Wakanda tech and how it relates to ....Human tech(?).... or something.
There will be some ride that requires another blue building next to Guardians. I mean we all know this is where it's heading.... :(

pdude81

Come on, we all grudgingly know what this will end up being, right?

......wakanda.....

Black Panther can be used in our parks right? I feel like I've heard this rumor at some point because it could be.
They'll try their hardest to make it fit because we're *learning* about the Wakanda tech and how it relates to ....Human tech(?).... or something.
They'll be some ride that requires another blue building next to Guardians. I mean we all know this is where it's heading.... :(
Wakanda, sure. T'Challa, probably not.

ChewbaccaYourMum

In addition to my post above. I personally love Ratatouille in France and if it has to be IP I'm happy that was it and it fits I guess. I agree 100% with everyone saying Inside Out in this pavilion. It's such a home run it makes no sense at all how this hasn't been done yet. If it has to be IP that is literally the movie made to be in Epcot it's not even debatable lol. AND there's a sequel coming out!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's such a home run it makes no sense at all how this hasn't been done yet.

Actually...

Michael J Fox Marty GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

... It's just not that good. :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom