News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Disone

Your welcome and be sure to enjoy your little exercises in futility. It must be burden.

It’s “you’re” and “a burden”.

:D

Oh boy...... The snark level is getting higher then a gondola rope :) tense!

Overall I like the system. I get what's being said. Ever see the concept art for Indiana Jones at Disneyland. There's some that I have the jungle cruise going through the middle of it and the Disneyland Railroad doing the same thing. It's some pretty intense stuff. And then we got the cheaped out version that we actually have it Disneyland :).

Anywho..... What's done is done. This Thread has been very interesting but also does seem to have gotten to the point where everything is just going around and around. I'm waiting for the next expert to bring up their concerns about handicap loading, air conditioning, sightlines, and whether or not this will mean the bus is getting discontinued.

lazyboy97o

The term “concept art” is a misnomer. Concept Development is the second phase of the design process, following Blue Sky, and when a project is at its most fluid. After this phase, the project is reviewed, budgeted and approved. From there the intent is established and the project moves into Schematic Design, followed by Design Development and finally Construction Documentation, the actual blueprints the contractor will use to build the project. The production of art continues through all of these phases of development and will even be made with the actual blueprints. Not based on the blueprints, made with the very same digital model the architects and engineers are using to produce the blueprints for construction. Show set designs remain more fluid longer because they deal less with health, safety and wellness but even they too must eventually be locked down. This project is well past the concept stage and released art is not going to reflect old work or still be that fluid.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I just pray the PoP stop isn’t value engineered. It looked truly something.

It's certainly interesting that they showed all of the gondola stations except that one... not sure if that's a good thing (want to make it some sort of a grand reveal) or a bad thing (late changes causing them to downgrade from what was shown in concept art already created)

lazyboy97o

It's certainly interesting that they showed all of the gondola stations except that one... not sure if that's a good thing (want to make it some sort of a grand reveal) or a bad thing (late changes causing them to downgrade from what was shown in concept art already created)
Riviera was also not shown.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I assume some road closures in the future for the construction?

I can't say for certain, but I would imagine road closures would be minimal. To the best of my understanding, the only time road closures would be necessary would be when they are stringing the cable and a lot of that could possibly be limited to overnight closures of roads.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
As far as Epcot is concerned the station is basically in World Showcase. You're saying that they are putting in a station that you would find anywhere else in the world? What? Man, what a departure from theme that is! I don't know what the design is for Studios, so I cannot comment. By comparison, you are implying that the Caribbean Beach station DOES stay in theme, so basically you are saying that they are indeed staying with theme and as soon as we recognize what theme is... all will be OK.

Your last sentence has me puzzled in a way. Are you asking me if I have seen the station for CBR? No, like many I am taking your word because I have never visited CBR at all and I do not know what the design is, but, it really doesn't matter. It is still a glorified bus stop no matter where it is placed. Why not just talk about how insanely expensive any resort in WDW is, instead of how they theme that particular bus stop.
The reference you make in the last sentence of your post is the exact reason why guests expect more than you apparently do. Most people accept Disney's insanely high prices due to a higher level of product. Just as most other companies who charge a higher price for a better product. My $200 winter coat looks, fits, and performs better than my $30 Old Navy coat.

Yet you seem to derive some odd form of self satisfaction by telling others that their expectations for a better product are preposterous. You're married to mediocrity and expect others to abide by your vows. And please exempt yourself from citing your age and life experiences as a form of validation that we should accept your personal beliefs. We have seen that logic trotted out enough.

Last edited:

Incomudro

The reference you make in the last sentence of your post is the exact reason why guests expect more than you apparently do. Most people accept Disney's insanely high prices due to a higher level of product. Just as most other companies who charge a higher price for a better product. My $200 winter coat looks, fits, and performs better than my $30 Old Navy coat.

Yet you seem to derive some odd form of self satisfaction by telling others that their expectations for a better product are preposterous. You're married to mediocrity and expect others to abide by your vows. And please exempt yourself from citing your age and life experiences as a form of validation that we should accept your personal beliefs. We have seen that logic trotted out enough.

What better product is expected from a shelter?
What better product of shelter has WDW ever given us?
I really don't understand.
It's a canopy, not a ride cue.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I was referring to his statement that it should not matter if it looks like every other one in the world.

Do I expect a mind blowing gondola landing? No. I would prefer they at least give it some zing and pep. Or perhaps even more zing and pep. (bonus points for anyone who gets that reference)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The term “concept art” is a misnomer. Concept Development is the second phase of the design process, following Blue Sky, and when a project is at its most fluid. After this phase, the project is reviewed, budgeted and approved. From there the intent is established and the project moves into Schematic Design, followed by Design Development and finally Construction Documentation, the actual blueprints the contractor will use to build the project. The production of art continues through all of these phases of development and will even be made with the actual blueprints. Not based on the blueprints, made with the very same digital model the architects and engineers are using to produce the blueprints for construction. Show set designs remain more fluid longer because they deal less with health, safety and wellness but even they too must eventually be locked down. This project is well past the concept stage and released art is not going to reflect old work or still be that fluid.

But then where did the first iteration of the concept art for Toy Story Land come from that was significantly changed in the next iteration?

lazyboy97o

There are many different types of roofs made of many types of materials. They have different origins, uses and associations. Almost all of the bus stops around property are roofs that follow the compositional patterns associated with their respective architectural styles.

But then where did the first iteration of the concept art for Toy Story Land come from that was significantly changed in the next iteration?
That first piece of art was not released after construction began. It was from those earlier phases of the design process. The project changed as it progressed through the design process.

JoeCamel

Here is everyone complaining about the generic look of the stations and Im looking at the TTC "Bus Station with Plants" theme and Epcots "Its a Series of Ramps" monorail station...

Why is this suddenly an issue? Disney has always done a fine job at making transport stations look like nice transport stations...
Maybe they are trying to understand where $200 - $300 million is going when they own the land. That video Lift Blog posted had a pricetag of 45 million euro.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here is everyone complaining about the generic look of the stations and Im looking at the TTC "Bus Station with Plants" theme and Epcots "Its a Series of Ramps" monorail station...

Why is this suddenly an issue? Disney has always done a fine job at making transport stations look like nice transport stations...

*facepalm* on your read of the style... so much I don't even want to search for the gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom