News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

lazyboy97o

Well maybe if the reasons you guys didn't like them were valid. You all are just moaning into an echo chamber because you like to hear yourselves speak. You also think your opinions on architectural design and theme are so superior than us commoners. I'm so glad Disney is giving you guys a proverbial middle finger with these low key designs. Its as if they don't care what the super fans want (thank god!)
The issue is not that the designs are low key. They're giving you the middle finger by wasting money outside the parks. They're not giving you what you want but that hasn't dawned on you in your quest to play dramatic.

Lift Blog

Does anyone know if the hub station at CBR will allow people to get off one line and queue for another line in the middle of the station? What I hope doesn't happen is what happens if you switch monorail lines at the TTC, where you have to go down one ramp and up another. I hope it's just a matter of getting out of one gondola and walking a few steps over to the queue for another line. It could be done easily if there's enough space between all three lines there; I just didn't know if that was how it would be designed. I'm sorry if this has been answered already.

This may be the biggest reason why all three lines turn around at CBR South. If two of the three were connected here, it would create a “wall” and anyone trying to get from one side to the other would have to go down a level or up and over some sort of bridge. I picture a large open area between the three terminals with room for queuing. Rails will probably still connect all three lines for maintenance and parking purposes.

NearTheEars

So what I’ve learned over the last couple of pages is that the TTC and other monorail stations are great because they have a specific architectural style based on their location. But the gondola stations are bad because they have a specific architectural style based on their locations.

No, no need for any snarky replies. I understand that I will always be wrong about everything ever.

disnyfan89

I think that's because at least previously in its history (and hopeful for the future) Disney had "ungodly high standards" for exterior-park infrastructure.

That's right! Just look at the original toll plaza, now that was a piece of well themed infrastructure from the hey day of Disney!
f21f3069da3ab765916b3a4496fa08d3.jpg

And who can pass up the highly detailed intricate themeing of the current Monorail Station that is the first place most guests see when visiting MK! Or that very ornate Ferry Boat station...

Where-Am-I-Standing-061.jpg
mar3-2.jpg

But yes, I can see how the Skyliner station might clash with the current boat dock at international gateway with its complex french/European details...
FriendshipBoats2.jpg

Im especially concerned over how much the boat launch at DHS will overshadow the new Skyliner station...

image34.jpg

But at least we have the super detailed bus stations there to help balance things out...

disney-hollywood-studios-buses-big.jpg

I just hope when the POP/AoA station is revealed it lives up to the standard already established by the resort. I'll only accept something as detailed and themed as the current bus loop!
Bus-Stop-at-Disneys-Pop-Century-Resort.jpg

Let's be real, the skyliner stations look great and exceed most structures created for transportation needs at Disney currently. Could they be even more detailed and well themed? Yeah, probably, but what we have is way better than what most here would have expected and will be great additions to the Disney Landscape... besides, concept art is just that... art. I will wait for the actual structures before sharpening the pitchforks...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's right! Just look at the original toll plaza, now that was a piece of well themed infrastructure from the hey day of Disney!

And who can pass up the highly detailed intricate themeing of the current Monorail Station that is the first place most guests see when visiting MK! Or that very ornate Ferry Boat station...

mar3-2.jpg

But yes, I can see how the Skyliner station might clash with the current boat dock at international gateway with its complex french/European details...
FriendshipBoats2.jpg

Im especially concerned over how much the boat launch at DHS will overshadow the new Skyliner station...

image34.jpg

But at least we have the super detailed bus stations there to help balance things out...

I just hope when the POP/AoA station is revealed it lives up to the standard already established by the resort. I'll only accept something as detailed and themed as the current bus loop!

Let's be real, the skyliner stations look great and exceed most structures created for transportation needs at Disney currently. Could they be even more detailed and well themed? Yeah, probably, but what we have is way better than what most here would have expected and will be great additions to the Disney Landscape... besides, concept art is just that... art. I will wait for the actual structures before sharpening the pitchforks...
I find the current DHS bus station well themed.

Grimley1968

This may be the biggest reason why all three lines turn around at CBR South. If two of the three were connected here, it would create a “wall” and anyone trying to get from one side to the other would have to go down a level or up and over some sort of bridge. I picture a large open area between the three terminals with room for queuing. Rails will probably still connect all three lines for maintenance and parking purposes.

I think (and hope) you're right. The concept image of the CBR station seems to support the layout you envision, a long building with terminals at each end, one possibly for EPCOT and the opposite possibly for POP/AoA, with a third terminal in the middle (not shown but presumably opposite the walk-in entrance) for the DHS line. A layout like that should be plenty of room for the open area and queues to the three lines.

trainplane3

I find the current DHS bus station well themed.
I agree with that. For what is a bus shelter that there are 20 copies of, it's fine. I couldn't see them doing something crazy for a small bus shelter.

I feel the DHS gondola station is actually pretty nice. The IG station is eh to me. Maybe they could've integrated it into the building next door to it? The central hub station is alright, but that's probably me since I never cared for beach theming in general.

Incomudro

mar3-2.jpg

FriendshipBoats2.jpg

image34.jpg

Thank you for doing the work that I'm too lazy to do. :)
You have provided evidence of what I am talking about.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thank you for doing the work that I'm too lazy to do. :)
You have provided evidence of what I am talking about.

It's called 'cherry picking' - glad you found information tailored to be agreeable... so agreeable.

Here's another conclusion that can save you the trip... Disney hasn't always batted 1.000 - and citing examples of things that have pretty much universally been panned for their failure (like the values) as proof of your 'standards' is... well... oh why do I even bother.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Isn't is the role of concept artists and imagineers -- before the blueprints are locked down -- to dream big? They'll almost certainly come up with ideas that are outside the budget. And yes, I realize we're talking about Disney's relatively bloated budget here, but even then, such bloated budgets can be exceeded with even bigger dreams.

But when reality hits, a land goes from three to two rides; or, a grand structure becomes less grand. If the artist/imagineer knew exactly how much was the cost of what they were drawing/planning and saw it was way over budget, they would have scaled back the drawing/plans themselves in the first place and no one would have been the wiser.

But when their blue sky drawings/plan get seen and then get cut down by budget, then there is a claim of cheapness on the part of Disney. Was a budget actually approved and then cut back after the approval? If so, then that would be a sign of penny-pinching. Was a plan/drawing evaluated to be too costly for the approved budged and so the plan/drawing was cut back to stay withing that budget? If so, then that's not a sign of penny-pinching.

If one wants to argue that WDW should spend more lavishly (or get their money's worth) on a budget for gondola stations or a new themed land, then that's a good point to make. But seeing something cut back from initial design... I don't know if that's the fault of the initial design surpassing budget or a bean-counter slashing budgets.

Incomudro

It's called 'cherry picking' - glad you found information tailored to be agreeable... so agreeable.

Here's another conclusion that can save you the trip... Disney hasn't always batted 1.000 - and citing examples of things that have pretty much universally been panned for their failure (like the values) as proof of your 'standards' is... well... oh why do I even bother.

You're a riot.
You actually post this after you select images of tents?

lazyboy97o

Isn't is the role of concept artists and imagineers -- before the blueprints are locked down -- to dream big? They'll almost certainly come up with ideas that are outside the budget. And yes, I realize we're talking about Disney's relatively bloated budget here, but even then, such bloated budgets can be exceeded with even bigger dreams.

But when reality hits, a land goes from three to two rides; or, a grand structure becomes less grand. If the artist/imagineer knew exactly how much was the cost of what they were drawing/planning and saw it was way over budget, they would have scaled back the drawing/plans themselves in the first place and no one would have been the wiser.

But when their blue sky drawings/plan get seen and then get cut down by budget, then there is a claim of cheapness on the part of Disney. Was a budget actually approved and then cut back after the approval? If so, then that would be a sign of penny-pinching. Was a plan/drawing evaluated to be too costly for the approved budged and so the plan/drawing was cut back to stay withing that budget? If so, then that's not a sign of penny-pinching.

If one wants to argue that WDW should spend more lavishly (or get their money's worth) on a budget for gondola stations or a new themed land, then that's a good point to make. But seeing something cut back from initial design... I don't know if that's the fault of the initial design surpassing budget or a bean-counter slashing budgets.
That depends on when a cut happens and the circumstances of the cut.

Misusing architectural elements is not a budget issue. More would always be nice, but the stations don’t necessarily need more. Their problem isn’t a lack of stuff.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The problem here is communications - not the work done.

A concept artist can do drawings to visualize ideas and try out things - Dream and flush out the design
A concept artist can also be tasked to visualize a design and put it into 'real world' settings to make it warmer and convey the concept to others

In short... 'concept art' can be both things. People shouldn't get hung up on the labels and instead focus on what the actual piece of art was created for.

Incomudro

Excellent post.
In days of 'yore, before the internet - unless we were WDW insiders, we were barely aware of designers original concepts vs what actually reached fruition.
Now, we sit in judgment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom