News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

flynnibus

Premium Member
He is right. Both of those are absolutely HIDEOUS. The gondola stations will look millions of time better than the sterile eye-sore known as the Epcot monorail station. But I'm sure you or Lazyboy will some snobby response about how its all 'supposed' to look like that. Blah bah blah

I'd rather be right than be a Diva.

Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to recognize and identify its pattern and purpose. The TTC and EPCOT stations both have a specific style and architecture. But yeah, lets just keep dumbing down the world and go with "bus station with planters". It fits the "dont bother me with details" attitude of most people these days.

GeneralKnowledge

I'll pay attention to it when it is done, in the meantime I have a lot more important things to get frustrated over then a gondola station in WDW.

Are you sure you do? You seem to spend a lot of time being frustrated about people that are frustrated about a gondola station in WDW. I'm not sure you can classify that as more important than being frustrated about a gondola station in WDW.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Details in a bus station, monorail hub, or gondola station are wastes of money. I'd rather them use their time and resources and put details in their actual theme parks. Only fans with ungodly high standards care if the gondola station is themed.

It's no loss to me if you don't understand what made Disney into a product that resonated and impressed people for decades. Just because you don't understand how the elements work, doesn't mean they don't matter.

Incomudro

Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to recognize and identify its pattern and purpose. The TTC and EPCOT stations both have a specific style and architecture. But yeah, lets just keep dumbing down the world and go with "bus station with planters". It fits the "dont bother me with details" attitude of most people these days.

These gondola shelters have a specific style relative to the lands that they are in.
I've seen everything now, that you guys are complaining about a canopy.

Grimley1968

Does anyone know if the hub station at CBR will allow people to get off one line and queue for another line in the middle of the station? What I hope doesn't happen is what happens if you switch monorail lines at the TTC, where you have to go down one ramp and up another. I hope it's just a matter of getting out of one gondola and walking a few steps over to the queue for another line. It could be done easily if there's enough space between all three lines there; I just didn't know if that was how it would be designed. I'm sorry if this has been answered already.

Incomudro

It's no loss to me if you don't understand what made Disney into a product that resonated and impressed people for decades. Just because you don't understand how the elements work, doesn't mean they don't matter.

Bus shelters and monorail stations have been more heavily themed than these gondola stations for decades?

flynnibus

Premium Member
These gondola shelters have a specific style relative to the lands that they are in.
I've seen everything now, that you guys are complaining about a canopy.

Yeah, and can you imagine... some people actually complained about a tent!

dtnemail-Kingdom_Cabanas-e3ba8-e1481215969410.jpg

Like I said... just because you don't get it.. doesn't make it insignificant. But years from now when you don't feel the same... well thank yourself.

Incomudro

Yeah, and can you imagine... some people actually complained about a tent!

dtnemail-Kingdom_Cabanas-e3ba8-e1481215969410.jpg

Like I said... just because you don't get it.. doesn't make it insignificant. But years from now when you don't feel the same... well thank yourself.

False equivalency.
Shelter for shelter, I really don't get what you guys are complaining about.

lazyboy97o

Nothing like a bumpkin desperately seeking attention by pretending to be a melodramatic sophisticate. It seems a lot of the outrage is “I don’t understand the criticism, so I’m going to assume it’s something over-the-top and ridiculous and rage on and on about that.”

Bus shelters and monorail stations have been more heavily themed than these gondola stations for decades?
Yes. Themed is not a direct correlation to stuff and ornament. The park stations don’t really need more, as that is not really the root of their problems.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does anyone know if the hub station at CBR will allow people to get off one line and queue for another line in the middle of the station? What I hope doesn't happen is what happens if you switch monorail lines at the TTC, where you have to go down one ramp and up another. I hope it's just a matter of getting out of one gondola and walking a few steps over to the queue for another line. It could be done easily if there's enough space between all three lines there; I just didn't know if that was how it would be designed. I'm sorry if this has been answered already.

We don't know yet. Someone who's seen the internal plans for the hub will have to answer that if they can. But you will have to exit one rope and hop on the other. How they will queue that, we don't know yet.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
so...are some people upset about the theme at all 3 stations or just international gateway? The reason I am asking is that the CBR and DHS stations seemed to be nicely themed to the area in which they exist. International gateway seems to be the only one that is somewhat generic.

lazyboy97o

so...are some people upset about the theme at all 3 stations or just international gateway? The reason I am asking is that the CBR and DHS stations seemed to be nicely themed to the area in which they exist. International gateway seems to be the only one that is somewhat generic.
I think the Disney’s Hollywood Studios station has the same problem of misusing architectural elements but overall is better composed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
CBR south has radically changed. But personally I wouldn’t say the new design is a bad one.

britain

Wha? It's clearly French with Art Nouveaux touches all over it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Could you be any more condescending?

Sometimes people need tough love to break the cycle.

The "I don't know anything about this.. .but I'm going to keep telling everyone what I think about it" gets tiresome.

It's fine to just say "I like it..." even if others don't. When it gets miserable is when they try to counter founded points and references with just jib jab. If you don't want to concern yourself with design... then just stop playing armchair and settle on just being a consumer.

michmousefan

Details in a bus station, monorail hub, or gondola station are wastes of money. I'd rather them use their time and resources and put details in their actual theme parks. Only fans with ungodly high standards care if the gondola station is themed.
I think that's because at least previously in its history (and hopeful for the future) Disney had "ungodly high standards" for exterior-park infrastructure.

FerretAfros

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Disney put forth minimal effort to make their utilitarian structures appear to fit their surroundings. What they've proposed for the stations at the parks is no different than the "slap a Mickey on it" approach to decorating/theming that they've relied on too much in recent years ( http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2017/04/making-it-disney.html ). The "theming" elements shown in the renderings are nothing more than a coat of paint and minor appliques glued on to standard catalogue structures, and have no bearing on the form or purpose of the structure itself

WDW's monorail stations are all highly themed to their surroundings (whether they fit your personal aesthetic preferences or not). In general, WDW does a great job with the theming of their bus shelters. They fit their surroundings, but are still fairly inexpensive structures that serve a utilitarian purpose. If WDW started replacing these:
POFQ-Main-2010-0795_large.jpg

with these:
58207-4077395.jpg

everybody would be up in arms about it, even if they got a new paint job to match their location. So why should the gondola stations be any different? Disney charges a premium price, and should deliver a premium product. For the amount Disney spends on construction projects, they should be getting a premium product, but instead it's just an off-the-shelf design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom