News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

jt04

How is this true of the monorail or WDWRR exactly? What backstage areas do you see that ruin the magic, and how would future imagineers fix it?

Haven't you just contradicted yourself here between these 2 statements? ;)

More scenes and foliage and even new lands would help the railroad.

Monorail, especially around future world might need new tech. And I have seen such technology. Not from WDI though.

Not sure of the contradictions you mention. Systems can always be improved. See Mission Space and rumored new 360 tech for the China pavilion.

Magenta Panther

Comments like this point out why they can remove the ornate ironwork and glass from the IG gateway station and get away with it.

Quite so. And it's such a cynical point of view. When I go to a theme park, I want to see themeing everywhere. I want complete immersion. I want to see a complete departure from the mundane and the everyday. I want to see beauty and creative surroundings and enchanting architecture. And at Disney's prices, I better get it!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How much do you think the skyliners stations were value enginneered vs the reality post blue sky concept. I am most always a bit let done when the final product goes in to green light building mode vs the blue sky concepts.
Compared to how CBR south and IG looked a year ago, quite a bit structure and design wise.

GlacierGlacier

More scenes and foliage and even new lands would help the railroad.

Monorail, especially around future world might need new tech. And I have seen such technology. Not from WDI though.

Not sure of the contradictions you mention. Systems can always be improved. See Mission Space and rumored new 360 tech for the China pavilion.
Not rumored, they made it quite clear at d23 it was a brand new seamless digital 360 setup.

Incomudro

Late to the discussion but I think the stations look really nice and fit the areas they’re in. Can the experts give the lecturing a rest? And when I saw the Epcot station my mind didn’t at all think of a bare unthemed station. I thought it fit in great. Is it so hard to say they did a good job? It’s more than I was expecting TBH.
It's exhausting, isn't it?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Quite so. And it's such a cynical point of view. When I go to a theme park, I want to see themeing everywhere. I want complete immersion. I want to see a complete departure from the mundane and the everyday. I want to see beauty and creative surroundings and enchanting architecture. And at Disney's prices, I better get it!
That was "Magic Your Way."

The new Disney offering is "Magic Our Way."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It certainly is! Not a single stick is built yet, but, the barrage of theme experts already hate it.

I haven't seen anyone criticizing the final product, they are criticizing the concept art. This is a Disney World discussion board, there should be nothing surprising about people critiquing concept from something that is going to be built at Disney World.

Lift Blog

Since these appear to detach from the cable, is there a way for them to put these on some sort carousel that facilitates multiple outgoing lines/destinations? How cool would it be if they could have a central loading hub with cables going in different directions where you could tell the operator your destination and they could swing you around to the appropriate cable...and off you’d go. I could see them doing this with low cables so as not to have a mess of cables in one area. The towers could get taller so that you rise above the trees after you get far enough away from the hub.

Doppelmayr just posted a video of a new system similar to this. Three lines converge at one central hub with digital messages "floating" above cabins noting the destination.

bclane

Doppelmayr just posted a video of a new system similar to this. Three lines converge at one central hub with digital messages "floating" above cabins noting the destination.

Holy cow that is a thing of beauty! I so wish Disney would go this route. I know it would raise the expense of the stations, but it would be so much more convenient (not to mention cool as heck) to get around using a system like that. Thanks for posting the video!

trainplane3

That has some incredibly overly epic music with some very quick cuts. It's like the director of that wanted to make a war movie but got stuck directing an ad for Doppelmayr. Being real though, they can really market those things. That looked like a neat system.

Goofyernmost

I haven't seen anyone criticizing the final product, they are criticizing the concept art. This is a Disney World discussion board, there should be nothing surprising about people critiquing concept from something that is going to be built at Disney World.
Being critical of the concept art, although not cast in stone, is what the place is going to look like. But, the best concept art can only be as accurate as 2 dimensions are possible. I really don't understand what the theme should be looking like for something that isn't an attraction, but, a utility. Yes, it's landing site should fit in with the area it is in, to a minor degree, but, that,s what it seems to be in my opinion. It is not really worth the cyber space because it is being critical of something that doesn't exist. Critical by itself isn't a problem, but, the negative way it is presented like anybody here has a better idea is where it gets exhausting. We are not going to influence the final outcome. If we want to have a solid argument about something when it actually exists, then at least we have a reality to discuss. This is just a way to sound indignant about what is currently consists of air molecules. How did the little Swiss Chalet that operated out of MK's Skyway, fit with anything in the rest of the land. Did it resemble Small World or perhaps Peter Pan, not that I recall. And it was just around the corner from HoP and Haunted Mansion. At the other end it was a rectangle box with a waterfall effect in the front. What did that match? Did they match anything? If they did or didn't it seems like everyone is trying desperately to convince, maybe themselves, that they will have a reason to not like it. What is being demanded is not a long honored way that WDW has operated. We, in affect, are creating problems where they do not and should not exist. The bigger question is why?

Timothy_Q

Being critical of the concept art, although not cast in stone, is what the place is going to look like. But, the best concept art can only be as accurate as 2 dimensions are possible. I really don't understand what the theme should be looking like for something that isn't an attraction, but, a utility. Yes, it's landing site should fit in with the area it is in, to a minor degree, but, that,s what it seems to be in my opinion. It is not really worth the cyber space because it is being critical of something that doesn't exist. Critical by itself isn't a problem, but, the negative way it is presented like anybody here has a better idea is where it gets exhausting. We are not going to influence the final outcome. If we want to have a solid argument about something when it actually exists, then at least we have a reality to discuss. This is just a way to sound indignant about what is currently consists of air molecules. How did the little Swiss Chalet that operated out of MK's Skyway, fit with anything in the rest of the land. Did it resemble Small World or perhaps Peter Pan, not that I recall. And it was just around the corner from HoP and Haunted Mansion. At the other end it was a rectangle box with a waterfall effect in the front. What did that match? Did they match anything? If they did or didn't it seems like everyone is trying desperately to convince, maybe themselves, that they will have a reason to not like it. What is being demanded is not a long honored way that WDW has operated. We, in affect, are creating problems where they do not and should not exist. The bigger question is why?
Don't forget to breathe

JoeCamel

I am struck by the speed! I don't think they sped the images up, it really travels that fast? My last gondola ride was Busch Gardens and that was ancient meant to be sightseeing not transportation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

You have been here since 2003 and have 20,940 posts. I can't begin to understand how in that time you have not learned how fan sites work. I hear people in my office constantly discussing what a local sports team should or shouldn't have done, despite the fact that they have no influence over the outcome. The purpose of a fan site like this is to discuss, it's ridiculous to expect people to not discuss project at every point from announcement to retirement.

As for the gondola just being a "utility", that should not be an excuse for a less then well thought out design. Road signs are just a utility, so why doesn't Disney use the same green signs like everyone else?

Why did they bother to make the RCFD station look like this, it's just a fire house?

upload_2017-12-11_14-29-59.png

Why does the pet care center look like this, it's just a kennel...

upload_2017-12-11_14-30-50.png

Incomudro

You have been here since 2003 and have 20,940 posts. I can't begin to understand how in that time you have not learned how fan sites work. I hear people in my office constantly discussing what a local sports team should or shouldn't have done, despite the fact that they have no influence over the outcome. The purpose of a fan site like this is to discuss, it's ridiculous to expect people to not discuss project at every point from announcement to retirement.

As for the gondola just being a "utility", that should not be an excuse for a less then well thought out design. Road signs are just a utility, so why doesn't Disney use the same green signs like everyone else?

Why did they bother to make the RCFD station look like this, it's just a fire house?

View attachment 249822

Why does the pet care center look like this, it's just a kennel...

View attachment 249823

Yeah, but the gondola stations do look well thought out.
They look as well thought out and themed as any other transportation shelter in WDW.
It's a skyway and a roof that matches the location.
I wouldn't have expected more for such a simple thing at any point in WDW's history.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, but the gondola stations do look well thought out.
They look as well thought out and themed as any other transportation shelter in WDW.
It's a skyway and a roof that matches the location.
I wouldn't have expected more for such a simple thing at any point in WDW's history.

... and some people clearly dis-agree with you, thus the discussion.

mmascari

Holy cow that is a thing of beauty! I so wish Disney would go this route. I know it would raise the expense of the stations, but it would be so much more convenient (not to mention cool as heck) to get around using a system like that. Thanks for posting the video!

Which part from the video do you think Disney is missing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom