News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

lazyboy97o

I agree the Fantasyland station was excellent. I almost went back and edited my point, but it was ONE Station and the ONLY one that was any good. The L Turn did not make any attempt to blend..... View attachment 249452

and the tomorrowland station hardly did as well..... (It did have a nice water feature though)

View attachment 249453
View attachment 249454
The Tomorrowland station is in the same architectural style as the rest of the land. That’s usually considered “blending.”

Disone

The Tomorrowland station is in the same architectural style as the rest of the land. That’s usually considered “blending.”
Hummmm...... the more looked the more I thought, it really was just cheap and not the case of matching the rest of the land. It did in an extremely cost effective away. If done today, the news boards would go bazerk!

Look at the styling of the original Tomorrowland. There are angles, slopes, design flurries......
Tomorrowland-0138a.jpg
Tomorrowland-0029.jpg

And then there is the skyway station......
skyway_station_tomorrowland_open.jpg

It certainly does not match Space Mountain, but that came later. It's minimal at best at blending in with rest of Tomorrowland.

Last edited:

Disone

Pasting on misapplied architectural elements is not blending, much less an example of better.

Honestly you know to much about architecture for your own good. It DOES blend with the building next to it but now your on a rant that it shouldn't because its 2nd floor is clear not hidding any real floor and the first floor is too open to have a 2nd floor look like that.... look, it matches. There were going for a look, not a functionality. Lets not forget the castles themselves feature different architectural styles within themselves and,clearly clash with Main Street USA. ITS OKAY! :)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Honestly you know to much about architecture for your own good. It DOES blend with the building next to it but now your on a rant that it shouldn't because its 2nd floor is clear not hidding..... look, it matches. There were going for a look, not a functionality.
So I can’t realize they match because I know they don’t actually match? They didn’t get the look right. That doesn’t mean the function has to be the same, but it must be understood to get the look right. You say the Tomorrowland station was too minimal while literally praising a blank wall.

Disone

So I can’t realize they match because I know they don’t actually match? They didn’t get the look right. That doesn’t mean the function has to be the same, but it must be understood to get the look right. You say the Tomorrowland station was too minimal while literally praising a blank wall.
Disagree. Moving on.

lazyboy97o

Lets not forget the castles themselves feature different architectural styles within themselves and,clearly clash with Main Street USA. ITS OKAY! :)
Sleeping Beauty Castle and Cinderella Castle reflect the use of different styles in the 19th century, just like Main Street, USA...

Disone

Sleeping Beauty Castle and Cinderella Castle reflect the use of different styles in the 19th century, just like Main Street, USA...

right. okay. good. In which case the castles blend in perfectly with main street USA, even more so then the IG station to the WS entry plaza. NOT

The point really is just this... .the IG station is doing a better job of blending then the original MK tomorrow skyway station did, and also the L turn facility for the skyway. Thats all. Visually it is just doing a better match to its surrounds. I am sure you have a knowledge base that is not letting you see that. That is okay too. The steams trains of the WDWRR really are not what was used in the turn of the century. I know this. I can see it. It is an inconsistency for sure. I still enjoy it.

Last edited:

Kman101

Late to the discussion but I think the stations look really nice and fit the areas they’re in. Can the experts give the lecturing a rest? And when I saw the Epcot station my mind didn’t at all think of a bare unthemed station. I thought it fit in great. Is it so hard to say they did a good job? It’s more than I was expecting TBH.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hummmm...... the more looked the more I thought, it really was just cheap and not the case of matching the rest of the land. It did in an extremely cost effective away. If done today, the news boards would go bazerk!

Look at the styling of the original Tomorrowland. There are angles, slopes, design flurries...... View attachment 249456View attachment 249457

And then there is the skyway station......
View attachment 249458
It certainly does not match Space Mountain, but that came later. It's minimal at best at blending in with rest of Tomorrowland.
The front half when it was built perfectly matched Tomorrowland in 1971 and as it was meant to look in the future.

The back half was meant to eventually be enclosed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Do you think being on the skyline will give guests a view (perhaps too much) of the behind-the-scenes areas of the parks? Would they be in danger of losing the illusion?

I think seeing to much backstage, etc. would pull me out of being part of an enveloping world .

For the parks, not much back lot will be in view. By placing Ratatouille at the back of the France pavilion, they are hiding the back stage view from the gondolas. However, you will get excellent views of infrastructure in the loading bays of BoardWalk Inn, parking lots, Speedway gas station, the roofs of CBR resorts.

Since these appear to detach from the cable, is there a way for them to put these on some sort carousel that facilitates multiple outgoing lines/destinations? How cool would it be if they could have a central loading hub with cables going in different directions where you could tell the operator your destination and they could swing you around to the appropriate cable...and off you’d go. I could see them doing this with low cables so as not to have a mess of cables in one area. The towers could get taller so that you rise above the trees after you get far enough away from the hub.

A lot more expensive and complicated and prone to break-downs.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With the last option I agree it won't work. Unless my math is wrong you have 5.7 seconds to get 8 people in and the door closed. Maybe athletic skiers but Disney people?

But there is a back-up of gondolas waiting to dispatch. It's not just one in and the same one back out...

Let's use extreme cases to help understand:

Case 1: Gondolas dispatch once per second and there are no gondola 'waiting' in the station to board. In this case as a gondola is coming into the station, it whips around the wheel and gives people just one second to board. Not really possible.

Case 2: Gondolas dispatch once per second and there are 100 gondolas 'waiting' in the station to board. In this case, when a gondola enters the station, it gets in the queue to leave. But, there are 99 gondolas ahead of it. They are leaving once per second. The gondola that freshly arrives has to wait 99 seconds before it leaves. It moves at a slow crawl through the station detached from the 'rope'. There's about 40 seconds on one side to disembark; 10 seconds around the wheel, and then 40 seconds on the other side for 8 people to get in. So, just because the gondolas are dispatching once per second, that doesn't necessarily give a gondola in the station just one second to exchange passengers. The extra gondolas waiting in the station are moving at a crawl.

Now, when you change up the numbers you don't need as many gondolas waiting: Dispatch every 7 seconds and have 10 gondolas in the station's queue gives each gondola 70 seconds of a slow crawl before they each jet off.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
For the parks, not much back lot will be in view. By placing Ratatouille at the back of the France pavilion, they are hiding the back stage view from the gondolas. However, you will get excellent views of infrastructure in the loading bays of BoardWalk Inn, parking lots, Speedway gas station, the roofs of CBR resorts.

Fortunately the CBR resort roofs don't look that bad...

upload_2017-12-10_9-51-49.png

Kman101

Pass through I don’t know. Riviera looked very nice, almost French Victorian when I saw it. Though given CBR South and IG have both been watered down seeing what Riviera finally looks like will be interesting.

Considering how nice the stations are (IMO, of course) I'd be curious to know and see what's been watered down. I really wasn't expecting much so the concept art to me was a nice surprise. More theming than I expected so it's surprising to hear (though not surprising at the same time because I'm used to WDW and "watering down" aka budget cuts) some (all?) have been budget cut a bit.

Is there anything major they cut that we should be up in arms over? Not being snarky, just wondering what they could have possibly cut.

Disone

The front half when it was built perfectly matched Tomorrowland in 1971 and as it was meant to look in the future.

The back half was meant to eventually be enclosed.

"perfectly matched" is subject to opinion. For me for it to perfectly match it would have needed tile work and spires like the rest of the tomorrowland. As it was it was a pretty non-dis-script boxy structure with a nice water fall in front. But it is true the original TL entrance did feature water falls as well, so I do see where you are coming from. I just don't agree it perfectly match. curious.. How much do you think the skyliners stations were value enginneered vs the reality post blue sky concept. I am most always a bit let done when the final product goes in to green light building mode vs the blue sky concepts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom