News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

Cue the “it’s just a gondola station, most people won’t care” comment
The truth really is hard for people to understand these days isn't it? It will be fun to ride and it is "in reality" just another mode of public transportation. A fun method of getting people from point A to point B. Why must everyone insist on making it an attraction. It is not one, but, it will be different and for many, like myself, a fun thing to ride on. At least much more fun then a bus... but, lets make it into a story.

HauntedMansionFLA

Appreciate the art nouveaux elements of the gateway terminal. Great choice. Not sure about multi-colored gondolas. But Imagineering usually makes great decisions. Just pleased they are getting such a system built.
I can't believe they are going to have Marvel so close to the parks!!!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I honestly don’t know what else people wanted from the design on these stations. If they were over the top, they’d stand out like a sore thumb. To me, it looks like they’ve been design to blend in with their surroundings, especially the EPCOT station which I’m happy to see.

To each their own, I guess.

Before the contemporary... I'm sure people couldn't conceive of the idea of an clean open air platform in the middle of a hotel either. What made Disney stand out so much was that new, different take on things.

These Miss that high bar... that's why people can be let down.

nickys

Premium Member
This is true of the monorail and even the WDWRR. Something for future Imagineers to fix.

How is this true of the monorail or WDWRR exactly? What backstage areas do you see that ruin the magic, and how would future imagineers fix it?

Appreciate the art nouveaux elements of the gateway terminal. Great choice. Not sure about multi-colored gondolas. But Imagineering usually makes great decisions. Just pleased they are getting such a system built.

Haven't you just contradicted yourself here between these 2 statements? ;)

Little Green Men

See I didn't think of that. I thought it looked lovely. Only the members of the forum with ungodly high standards sees something tacky and ugly. But alas, those people will never be satisfied because they're still stuck in the 1980s when everything was allegedly so practically perfect in every way.
I think they look a million times better than the monorail stations or the old skyway stations at MK, especially Tomorrowland.

Creathir

Since these appear to detach from the cable, is there a way for them to put these on some sort carousel that facilitates multiple outgoing lines/destinations? How cool would it be if they could have a central loading hub with cables going in different directions where you could tell the operator your destination and they could swing you around to the appropriate cable...and off you’d go. I could see them doing this with low cables so as not to have a mess of cables in one area. The towers could get taller so that you rise above the trees after you get far enough away from the hub.

I agree, a distribution system would make this much more interesting, particularly if it worked like PRT and had onboard, selectable destinations.

Lift Blog

@marni1971 Any clues what the pass through and Riviera angle stations look like?

This is the cheapest tunnel-style with minimal enclosure.
img_7744.jpg

Some places go with the full Doppelmayr-supplied enclosure:
img_1940.jpg

Or incorporate the entire angle station into a larger building (can you spot the A/C?!)
Wynn-Palace-Macau-SkyCab_03.jpg

Last edited:

Incomudro

I’m not saying how the stations should or shouldn’t be. That was someone else’s post.

I’m just saying every single discussion has the same generic and short sighted comment that you just made. “Most people won’t care”
And every discussion has the same generic, they didn't do enough, they've lowered the bar etc. statement.
When there have always been plenty of things in WDW that were simply themed.

Disone

I think they look a million times better than the monorail stations or the old skyway stations at MK, especially Tomorrowland.
This is an EXCELLENT POINT. The original MK Skyway, you know back in the day when Disney did everything Better and way before the standards declined (wink wink), had a turning station in the middle of the Grand Prix and man was it every BASIC! ZERO THEME, ZERO attempt to even have it blend in. And the Tomorrowland station was barely a notch above that. Google Magic Kingdom Skyway and look for yourself. Comparatively these stations are CLEARLY better then what MK used for its Skyway.

Last edited:

Disone

The stations were designed to match the look of the lands at the time they were built. The turning station wasn't, but not the ones where guests would board. I also fail to see what's so bad about this?

reminders_skywaytotl2009ww.jpg
I agree the Fantasyland station was excellent. I almost went back and edited my point, but it was ONE Station and the ONLY one that was any good. The L Turn did not make any attempt to blend.....
skywaymk_turnc1996ah.jpg

and the tomorrowland station hardly did as well..... (It did have a nice water feature though)

Tomlandskyway1990.jpg

skyway_station_tomorrowland_open.jpg

I don't think these are "bad", just IMO, the new skyliner stations are superior compared to these previous efforts. Though that Fantasyland Station.... IDK... that one WAS pretty good!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom