New Countries Being Added to Epcot?

aladdin2007

World Showcase doesn't need more countries right now. All World Showcase needs a couple more attractions and the film about Norway getting updated.

Future World needs more help than World Showcase does. Future World has 3 problems and those three are UOE, Imagination pavilion, and Wonders of Life.

Well its been over 20 years since a new country so yes its very much overdue at this point and would be really good draw especially if it included an attraction. But your right Imagination and Wonders especially are in dire need of help. Wouldnt hurt UOE either but its not too bad and can still hold its own, but gosh those other two are pathetic. I was just at Epcot today and was thinking how the place has been massacred since 98 or so, future world anyway.

lpereira

But if it were Brazil they could do a Disney version of Carnival every year in February ( i know the actual date moves), Cristo Redentor could serve as their cultural icon. (those statues are all over the country anyway not just in Rio), A day spa from the springs of Minais (like an adult bibity bobity boo), counter service could have several of the more than tasty snack you can get on any beach or city corner, TS could be a Churrascaria. The drink: caiprihina and maybe they could get some caracu too. A ride could be an amazon adventure. Street performers copoeira and bossa nova bands. They could even tie into wide world of sports with a brazilian jujitsu competition.

or they can just put it all in Animal Kingdom. If they do another country it really needs to be a BRIC country (already have China)

Edit:
Shops: an honest to God coffee shop. I don't know what Disney's problem is with coffee that you have to hunt a good cup down.

moemoe55

Countries never built

A few years ago the Cooper Hewit Museum in NYC had a Disney Exhibit. One of the displays was a model the the Russian Pavilion. It was a replica of Red Square. Too bad it was never built. They should have a pavilion of the islands of the South Pacific or the Caribbean.

sublimesting

For what its worth last night on an airplane I was reading Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World and it stated there was room in EPCOT for 7 more countries.

I'd like to see New Zealand.
images
images
images
images

CaptainWinter

Lets not forget about adding Andorra or Liechenstein, or however you spell it haha.

You could make actual-size reproductions of those. :)

New Epcot country threads pop up every so often here. Generally the discussion follows more or less the same path...Brazil comes up, and Russia, and Greece, and so on. Also a lot of misconceptions are promoted about countries needing to kick in for sponsorship for new pavilions. In fact most WS pavilions had little or no help from their home governments, and with the world economy in its current state, no such sponsorship is forthcoming any time soon! Can you imagine the bankrupt Greek parliament supporting a measure to invest in Disney World? Not on your life.

Anyhow, I think it's better to focus on achievable reforms. First, let's not get rid of any of the current WS pavilions. They're all great and the demolition of any of them would be tragic. There are two prime spots ready-ish for attractions in WS: Japan and Germany. Japan has a huge show building and Germany has a partially-complete one. Let's fill those with attractions before any new countries, mkay? Meet the World, bullet train, Mt Fuji, Rhine River, whatever. Any of the above. Yes, I know they use those spots for storage now, but, all right, build some nice sheds and move the crap out. Just one new attraction would make a big positive difference. Disney can pay itself. They made $2B on Alice + Toy Story last year; they've got cash. Let 'em spend it.

But really the big problem in Epcot IMO is Imagination. The attraction sucks and the post-show is a ghost town. Pathetic! JII used to be the best part of FW. Now it stinks. Overall WS is in good shape and dining-wise it's benefited from some very nice investments, even in the last half year. If they spruced up any part of WS any further without dealing with the state of affairs at Imagination I would consider it a sad miscalculation of priorities.

aladdin2007

You could make actual-size reproductions of those. :)

New Epcot country threads pop up every so often here. Generally the discussion follows more or less the same path...Brazil comes up, and Russia, and Greece, and so on. Also a lot of misconceptions are promoted about countries needing to kick in for sponsorship for new pavilions. In fact most WS pavilions had little or no help from their home governments, and with the world economy in its current state, no such sponsorship is forthcoming any time soon! Can you imagine the bankrupt Greek parliament supporting a measure to invest in Disney World? Not on your life.

Anyhow, I think it's better to focus on achievable reforms. First, let's not get rid of any of the current WS pavilions. They're all great and the demolition of any of them would be tragic. There are two prime spots ready-ish for attractions in WS: Japan and Germany. Japan has a huge show building and Germany has a partially-complete one. Let's fill those with attractions before any new countries, mkay? Meet the World, bullet train, Mt Fuji, Rhine River, whatever. Any of the above. Yes, I know they use those spots for storage now, but, all right, build some nice sheds and move the crap out. Just one new attraction would make a big positive difference. Disney can pay itself. They made $2B on Alice + Toy Story last year; they've got cash. Let 'em spend it.

But really the big problem in Epcot IMO is Imagination. The attraction sucks and the post-show is a ghost town. Pathetic! JII used to be the best part of FW. Now it stinks. Overall WS is in good shape and dining-wise it's benefited from some very nice investments, even in the last half year. If they spruced up any part of WS any further without dealing with the state of affairs at Imagination I would consider it a sad miscalculation of priorities.

Actually the little train layout between Germany and Italy is Leichenstein, but Disney wont admitt it. :lol:

I agree, as much as I would love to see a new country, Imagination needs attention first over anything else at the park. Its deplorable. Yet doesnt sound like a thing is going to be done any time soon. Kodak is out, no one else is coming on board and TDO sure isnt going to foot the bill of a massive redo right now. :brick:

Re-Imagineering the World Showcase

I think the best bet would be a Re-Imagineering effort for the entire WS. i think that They should redesign the WS as a whole, relocating paths, projecting more countries into the lagoon as they had done with Mexico, creating new Viewing locations for illuminations, adding the lights to Morocco and Norway to match the other countries. Maybe correlate this with a brand new version of Illuminations all together. I'm talking Disney California Adventures Size Re-Imagineering where they completely bring this park to like-new status. Add a Landmark to recognize the UK by, maybe get the countries tourism departments involved into possibly investing into putting in new attractions, or attractions that never were fully imagined. Try to bring in Investors from those countries. I'm sure there are big German Corporations that could put some money out to sponsor a German Themed attraction that will coincide with their own business ventures. Let's give EPCOT the status it deserves. Turn it into a presentation peace. Not another dying relic of World's Fairs Past....

This is my FAVORITE PARK with some of my favorite spaces. I'd love to see it brought to the 21st century.

Timekeeper

Horizons 2.0 :sohappy:

Imagine a new Horizons that is somewhat similar in ride experience to Harry Potter. The ride vehicle arrangement (4 in a row, side by side) wouldn't be that different from the original Horizons, nor would the motion simulation segments in front of the projection screens. If you think about it, Horizons was way ahead of its time. Just add some kind of motion base and there ya go.

aladdin2007

I think the best bet would be a Re-Imagineering effort for the entire WS. i think that They should redesign the WS as a whole, relocating paths, projecting more countries into the lagoon as they had done with Mexico, creating new Viewing locations for illuminations, adding the lights to Morocco and Norway to match the other countries. Maybe correlate this with a brand new version of Illuminations all together. I'm talking Disney California Adventures Size Re-Imagineering where they completely bring this park to like-new status. Add a Landmark to recognize the UK by, maybe get the countries tourism departments involved into possibly investing into putting in new attractions, or attractions that never were fully imagined. Try to bring in Investors from those countries. I'm sure there are big German Corporations that could put some money out to sponsor a German Themed attraction that will coincide with their own business ventures. Let's give EPCOT the status it deserves. Turn it into a presentation peace. Not another dying relic of World's Fairs Past....

This is my FAVORITE PARK with some of my favorite spaces. I'd love to see it brought to the 21st century.

Would love to see the lights added to Norway, would look amazing. Will never happen in Morocco though because that tower is considered a religious symbol.

Bravo 229

Horizons 2.0 :sohappy:

Imagine a new Horizons that is somewhat similar in ride experience to Harry Potter. The ride vehicle arrangement (4 in a row, side by side) wouldn't be that different from the original Horizons, nor would the motion simulation segments in front of the projection screens. If you think about it, Horizons was way ahead of its time.

It was lightyears ahead of its time. With the technology available now, they could build the three "return" scenes and have the cars split off into one of the scenes chosen by the passengers - Mesa Verde, Brava Centauri and Sea Castle. There is so much they could do to make a New Horizons even better than the original.

I had a thought earlier about the Japan Pavilion. Couldn't Disney try to make a deal with the Oriental Land Company to fund an attraction for the pavilion?

RSoxNo1

I thought Norway abstained from participating in shows like Illuminations for similar reasons as Morocco.

I searched this forum forum for more of an explanation and there's an entire thread on it here.

The official explanation is that Morocco doesn't light up because its main structure is based off of a mosque, and Islamic law forbids the decoration of mosques in such a way. Norway, which came after Morocco, stays dark to balance out Morocco's not lighting up.

The debate continues afterwards where it seems that the main reason is funding.

aladdin2007

I thought Norway abstained from participating in shows like Illuminations for similar reasons as Morocco.

I searched this forum forum for more of an explanation and there's an entire thread on it here.

The debate continues afterwards where it seems that the main reason is funding.

True, for Norway it was simply funding. Morocco because of it being based on the mosque. This is what they tell you on the hidden treasures of the world tour anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom