New Countries Being Added to Epcot?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Is the American Pavilion sponsored by China these days?

India, Australia and African nations would all be better represented in the AK,

Russia or Egypt if there is a move away from European bias.

jmani56

I'm not sure if it's bias, Europe just has a very high concentration of different unique nations/cultures that have been very influential.

stuart

I agree, Disney needs to stop relining on sponsors. Its THEIR park. Its their job to maintain and fund projects. If an outside company wanted to help fund a project, that's their decision.

You cant underestimate the importance of sponsors to Disney. Since 1964 Worlds Fair days Disney have relied on sponsorship from companies. For a lot of projects Disney didn't have the capital to fund them and without the funding, and expertise of some of the sponsors (Kodak), we wouldnt be able to enjoy a lot of the attractions we now have.

Also, without sponsors, if Disney had to fund everything then the prices we pay for tickets/resorts/merchandise would be a lot, lot higher! Even simple things like tie-ins with Kodak for park maps, drinks with Coca Cola all mean we can enjoy prices much lower than we would if Disney couldnt plaster sponsor logos over everything.

jmani56

You cant underestimate the importance of sponsors to Disney. Since 1964 Worlds Fair days Disney have relied on sponsorship from companies. For a lot of projects Disney didn't have the capital to fund them and without the funding, and expertise of some of the sponsors (Kodak), we wouldnt be able to enjoy a lot of the attractions we now have.

Also, without sponsors, if Disney had to fund everything then the prices we pay for tickets/resorts/merchandise would be a lot, lot higher! Even simple things like tie-ins with Kodak for park maps, drinks with Coca Cola all mean we can enjoy prices much lower than we would if Disney couldnt plaster sponsor logos over everything.

Of course they are important, but letting a theme park decay while waiting for one to magically come forward is not the answer. And again, every other park does not use this model. Nobody sponsored Tower of Terror, Everest, etc. and these huge, expensive attractions were still built. A new WS country would not be nearly the expense of those attractions. The queue at Everest alone is more elaborate than some of the World Showcase pavilions, and does not have restaurants and multiple gift shops to support its existence.

danstadnik

The queue at Everest alone is more elaborate than some of the World Showcase pavilions, and does not have restaurants and multiple gift shops to support its existence.
Very true, but Everest sells more Disney vacations than any WS country. I like the thought of Animal Kingdom picking up the slack of EPCOT in terms of room for more countries.
And there's PLENTY of room there!

zooey

Very true, but Everest sells more Disney vacations than any WS country. I like the thought of Animal Kingdom picking up the slack of EPCOT in terms of room for more countries.
And there's PLENTY of room there!

Eh, I don't know about that. Adults love World Showcase ALOT. I don't have kids, and while I love Everest, nothing beats strolling around World Showcase, just soaking in the atmosphere. The unique feeling that World Showcase offers is unlike anything else on property (or in the world, for that matter), and that is a huge selling point to many, many people.

Now if AK were to become World Showcase part 2, and have more regions of the world added, I'm definitely on board with that.

raven

Epcot is my favorite park, but it's getting embarrassing. Empty Future World pavilions, weak attractions in a place that was always cutting edge... it's just sad. The sponsor model isn't working, and I think they should abandon it. Maybe there are things about the business model that I don't understand, but if they can dump millions into Downtown Disney, they can do the same for Epcot, where it's needed much more. If I see a sponsor's name on the new Snow White Mine Train, I'll shut my mouth on the subject, but I guarantee we won't. If a sponsor is not needed there, why should one be needed for Epcot attractions?

Empty FW pavilions? Last time I checked there was only one.

I'm not sure of how Epcot was set up to begin with but it's quite possible that the attractions/pavilions in the park is purely sponsor run. Obviously Disney could pick them up but maybe there is something that we don't know about. And if they pay for a pavilion you can better bet those costs would be passed on to you, and we already never hear plenty of complaining here about rising ticket prices. Test Track alone spends $10mil a year for operating costs (hence the need for a sponsor).

Look at WOL, it's already built and has running attractions...

Sorry to inform you that they are not running at all. Body Wars is slowly being scrapped for parts and each of the show rooms are used for parts for other FW East attractions (Test Track, UoE, SoaT).

RSoxNo1

I'm not sure if it's bias, Europe just has a very high concentration of different unique nations/cultures that have been very influential.

I definitely agree with Pumba here, Asia, Africa and Australia are better suited for the Animal Kingdom than Epcot. World showcase is dominated by food and shopping, hence the European slant.

Europe doesn't really lend itself to the Animal Kingdom - unless you want to use this as your mythical animals area.

sublimesting

I wish Disney would fill all the spots with countries based on the original blueprints.

Switzerland (between Russia and Germany)
- The Alps in the background. Fantastic food (chocolate, cheese, and clocks).

Any thoughts?

I do have a thought... how many clocks have you eaten?

MrMorrowTom

Can't believe no one gave you credit for that one. :ROFLOL: One of the better puns I've heard in a while.

WDW FTW

You know what my problem is with the world showcase, i can't eat a full meal at each country in one trip... unless i spend multiple days... marketing strategy?

Anyways on the topic of sponsers i find it interesting that EPCOT was originally supposed to be a self-relying city of some sort wasn't it?

And on the topic of Epcot's alleged decline, i think that they aren't heading downhill at all. Other than everest they have had 3 of the most recent thrill rides in all of wdw (test track, mission space, soarin [even though it was from DL])

I'm still waiting for this whole retaliation from Disney of HP is done, even though im enjoying the FLE

wdwfan4ver

World Showcase doesn't need more countries right now. All World Showcase needs a couple more attractions and the film about Norway getting updated.

Future World needs more help than World Showcase does. Future World has 3 problems and those three are UOE, Imagination pavilion, and Wonders of Life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom