My Magic + details ...

merry68

A person on another Disney board is claiming the FP+ window is being moved from 60 days to 3 weeks in advance. Anyone here know if that is true?

I don't think so, unless it's after the next test group. I have the ability to book FP+s for our mid Oct trip as we are staying in a test resort.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Are you suggesting that Disney will get a positive ROI out of NGE? (your opinion as obviously you don,t have access to the numbers)

Don't change the subject :p My opinion of potential success or not is not relevant to the topic of the post which was a single view of how ROI would be realized.

Now, on that second subject.. of my opinion of if they will recoup their investment... I find that very hard to measure since this project spans so many categories of investment. And with zero visibility into how the spend really breaks out.. can we make anything but wild guesses on how each element was worth it or not? Such discussion is obfuscated by the mash-up of the whole thing and the interdependencies.

On paper, there is a lot of this I would support investing in, even if they were just sunk costs... because they would be enablers for other things. Some are 'replace the EOL/NLA stuff', some are just catchup, some are foundations for future 'products'. I believe it to be incredibly naive to just take some 1 billion dollar number and say 'ok, how much guest spend do we need to boost to make this back..'. Things just aren't that simple.

When this thing covers everything from new queues, to new CM tools, to POS upgrades EVERYWHERE, network EVERYWHERE, every reservation system, mobile apps, web apps, the printed maps, every turnstile in the park, every ticket window, the majority of the attractions, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. It's mindboggling.

Many of these elements you'll never be able to accurately measure their individual contribution. All of this will ultimately need to be weighed against Disney's success in guest retention, guest sat, operational improvements, sustainability, and whatever new revenue collecting products they roll out in the future. I imagine this have to be measured at the 10,000ft level.. did it help drive the division in the direction and the goals they wanted?

In retrospect... was a system like Fastpass expected to pay for itself in incremental attendance boost attributed just for the existance of FP? Or was it evaluated by improving guest sat, ride counts, guest retention, and other 'soft' factors that when they all point in the direction you want... your bottom line does better.

The bottom line for me... a billion+ dollars is alot. On paper alone, given the broad scope of this initiative, I can imagine there are lots of places savings were invisioned. But where we are now, in mid-2013... my opinion? Given Disney's lack of execution so far.. I think the outlook is grim. This looks to me like one of those projects that will be morphed a few times before a stable, positive future is seen. Some things go away, some things are redone entirely, etc... those all kill your ROI projections. But is it possible to have light at the end of the tunnel.. even with all those mistakes? Yes... it may just take a lot of blood to get there.

Just look at Amazon :)

Longhairbear

Life is not fair. After graduate out of the youth league soccer matches, there are no trophies for participation. When I see arguments oriented around the "fairness" of the FastPass legacy system or the new FastPassMinus system, I almost immediately disregard them. Why? See my first line. If your pursuit of "fairness" includes making sure everyone got their allotment of FastPassMinus to the premier "legacy" attractions, that pursuit cannot be realized.

The folks posting negatively about just this one aspect of MM-, (and there are many) have a valid complaint. They are recognizing their "vacation time" is being diminished. They are acting out of a healthy self-interest and for anyone to expect anything else is unrealistic. Many, if not all,of the people here on this forum have been to WDW more than a few times. They are familiar with how the existing system works. They use it to their benefit. They have educated themselves about it. Some people take the system and make a living from it. (Ever heard of Touring Plans? Everyone who uses this type of method can receive and use more than 3 FastPasses if they so choose.)

Before my first visit to WDW, I studied the attractions I wanted to visit. I had a plan to make my way to all of the attractions in my limited time. I nearly saw everything. As we know, plans are great going into the battlefield but are often abandoned at the first shot. I had to adapt as I went based on many factors,(weather, location, and FastPass return times) which often upset my apple cart. But I was able to adapt. I was better prepared my next trip. I had my "unofficial guide".

Under the new framework, as FastPassMinus is being tested, a change of plans will not be easily done and often simply impossible. You will be left with 2 choices with any change in circumstance; abandon your reservation or continue onward despite how untenable that reservation may be. The following is an example.

Tuesday was to be a trip to Blizzard Beach but the thunderstorms are going to be a hindrance to that experience all day. Should I move my Blizzard Beach to Thursday when the weather system will have passed? That's a hard decision as Thursday was my day at Magic Kingdom with my 3 FastPassMinus and I can't get any FastPassMinus at Magic Kingdom today for anything that was a "legacy" FastPass attraction. Is this added level of stress something you should have to deal with on "vacation"? Is this "fair"?

Spontaneity and circumstance are being removed and their replacement is a very expensive, regimented experience that will bare little to no resemblance to any previous "vacation". At this point, I expect the usual suspects to say," You can always go elsewhere to vacation." While that is true it does not address the fundamental loss of flexibility that is the subject of this thread. Another argument," You can exchange your FastPassMinus for another one from your phone or a super handy "magical" kiosk." Perhaps, if the system works as hoped, but it is highly unlikely to get a same day exchange for an E-ticket attraction or even a "legacy" FastPass attraction.

Others will say," I can still choose the 3 attractions I value most." While that is true, you are exchanging the physical "rope drop" for a virtual one. It must be mentioned that those 3 FastPassMinus, must be in the same park under the new framework. There will be no more "park hopping" FastPassMinus to be had. Additionally, a person on the west coast is at a competitive disadvantage for selecting their FastPassMinus unless they stay up past midnight for the first day of their window. (I experience this disadvantage on ADRs all the time. The most recent example was this morning for California Grill at Contemporary.)

At least, under the "legacy" FastPass system, a family from Germany flying half way around the world is on a level playing field. Once they see someone by-passing the standby lines, they can inquire about FastPass if they don't already know about it. After some investigating on their part, they can use the system to great benefit for the rest of their trip. Under the new FastPassMinus system, they can learn about the new system (perhaps even in advance) but not be able to utilize it fully to their advantage. If they realize their mistake selecting one of the "new" FastPassMinus fake demand options(read: Space Ship Earth), they may miss out on the opportunity to replace it with one of the "legacy" attractions.

I am in the minority of folks who can spend an entire day at the parks riding few if any attractions. With that said, I have on many occasions utilized more than 8 FastPass in a day. In my last visit to WDW, I used one FastPass for Toy Story Midway Mania. My visit was 6 days.

The "legacy" system sets aside a time for enjoying an attraction while you participate in other things. It is a part of your "flexible" schedule. You can cross the park, fit in meals, catch a character greet, or whatever your fancy.

Under the FastPassMinus system, your day will have to be oriented around those passes in a "rigid" fashion. Additionally, there is no allowance for a change in your personal or family circumstance. It may even limit how many times you can experience an attraction. Try and get 3 FastPassMinus for Toy Story Midway Mania in a day.

Ultimately, based on the testing, published information, and reliable sources on these forums, this is a step backward for "vacations". Your escape from the real world is being encroached upon by a fancy GUI on your computer, phone or tablet that maintains a "rigid" schedule.(and hey, "usual suspects", don't say things like," You can opt not to use it." as that is really a ridiculous option.) Trying to escape from your cell phone became more difficult. The Disney 10,000 mile stare will happen sooner during the trip. Surrender to......oh well....

I hate to think what will be said here if they make FastPassMinus a "paid" upgrade in the future. It may just end up with resort guests getting twice as many FastPassMinus. Would those options be more fair? ("Usual suspects", move along. This is speculative. Feel free to state that "Disney is running a business" somewhere else as we all know that.)

*1023*
I am running your Blizzard Beach/bad weather scene through my head. As you say, no good FP+ are available in whichever park you go to instead of BB. Standby lines are long, and the guest can't get a FP+ to anything after a while. They go to guest relations to complain. What happens next? Do they get any comps? Told they should have booked parade seating? I can see where FP+ becomes a right, something you think you paid for, and should get. In the BB scene, they would end up adding FP+ to slides, and prime real estate sand, and then tell the guest, they chose not to use their FP+ at BB that day.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thanks for getting inside my head and presuming to know where I am coming from.

I travel extensively. I have consulted on travel and hospitality. I am intimately aware of the Disney product from both extensive personal experience and execs within the company itself.

I stand by what I posted. Many WDW resort visitors are not very savvy ... That and they buy into the talking points. ''You MUST stay on WDW property." "The transportation is so convenient, and you get extra time in the parks." "You have to buy the DDP, it is such a deal and covers all your food."

WDW guests are, by and large, not savvy ...discerning travelers. They have no idea what they should be getting for their money. They have no clue what $100 a night should buy, let alone $500.

Agree, i travel for business extensively Hilton Diamond and Marriott Platimum, On the hotel scale Disney's rooms are at best Hilton Garden Inn quality

dadddio

No, it is a legit term for BRAND advocates who exist on message forums to tow the company line and shout down those with legit criticisms. ...Disney, because of the large emotional component many people have for it, absolutely has a large percentage of these folks online.
Cranks and faux insiders are legit terms, also. Just saying.

Buried20KLeague

Life is not fair. After graduate out of the youth league soccer matches, there are no trophies for participation. When I see arguments oriented around the "fairness" of the FastPass legacy system or the new FastPassMinus system, I almost immediately disregard them. Why? See my first line. If your pursuit of "fairness" includes making sure everyone got their allotment of FastPassMinus to the premier "legacy" attractions, that pursuit cannot be realized.

The folks posting negatively about just this one aspect of MM-, (and there are many) have a valid complaint. They are recognizing their "vacation time" is being diminished. They are acting out of a healthy self-interest and for anyone to expect anything else is unrealistic. Many, if not all,of the people here on this forum have been to WDW more than a few times. They are familiar with how the existing system works. They use it to their benefit. They have educated themselves about it. Some people take the system and make a living from it. (Ever heard of Touring Plans? Everyone who uses this type of method can receive and use more than 3 FastPasses if they so choose.)

Before my first visit to WDW, I studied the attractions I wanted to visit. I had a plan to make my way to all of the attractions in my limited time. I nearly saw everything. As we know, plans are great going into the battlefield but are often abandoned at the first shot. I had to adapt as I went based on many factors,(weather, location, and FastPass return times) which often upset my apple cart. But I was able to adapt. I was better prepared my next trip. I had my "unofficial guide".

Under the new framework, as FastPassMinus is being tested, a change of plans will not be easily done and often simply impossible. You will be left with 2 choices with any change in circumstance; abandon your reservation or continue onward despite how untenable that reservation may be. The following is an example.

Tuesday was to be a trip to Blizzard Beach but the thunderstorms are going to be a hindrance to that experience all day. Should I move my Blizzard Beach to Thursday when the weather system will have passed? That's a hard decision as Thursday was my day at Magic Kingdom with my 3 FastPassMinus and I can't get any FastPassMinus at Magic Kingdom today for anything that was a "legacy" FastPass attraction. Is this added level of stress something you should have to deal with on "vacation"? Is this "fair"?

Spontaneity and circumstance are being removed and their replacement is a very expensive, regimented experience that will bare little to no resemblance to any previous "vacation". At this point, I expect the usual suspects to say," You can always go elsewhere to vacation." While that is true it does not address the fundamental loss of flexibility that is the subject of this thread. Another argument," You can exchange your FastPassMinus for another one from your phone or a super handy "magical" kiosk." Perhaps, if the system works as hoped, but it is highly unlikely to get a same day exchange for an E-ticket attraction or even a "legacy" FastPass attraction.

Others will say," I can still choose the 3 attractions I value most." While that is true, you are exchanging the physical "rope drop" for a virtual one. It must be mentioned that those 3 FastPassMinus, must be in the same park under the new framework. There will be no more "park hopping" FastPassMinus to be had. Additionally, a person on the west coast is at a competitive disadvantage for selecting their FastPassMinus unless they stay up past midnight for the first day of their window. (I experience this disadvantage on ADRs all the time. The most recent example was this morning for California Grill at Contemporary.)

At least, under the "legacy" FastPass system, a family from Germany flying half way around the world is on a level playing field. Once they see someone by-passing the standby lines, they can inquire about FastPass if they don't already know about it. After some investigating on their part, they can use the system to great benefit for the rest of their trip. Under the new FastPassMinus system, they can learn about the new system (perhaps even in advance) but not be able to utilize it fully to their advantage. If they realize their mistake selecting one of the "new" FastPassMinus fake demand options(read: Space Ship Earth), they may miss out on the opportunity to replace it with one of the "legacy" attractions.

I am in the minority of folks who can spend an entire day at the parks riding few if any attractions. With that said, I have on many occasions utilized more than 8 FastPass in a day. In my last visit to WDW, I used one FastPass for Toy Story Midway Mania. My visit was 6 days.

The "legacy" system sets aside a time for enjoying an attraction while you participate in other things. It is a part of your "flexible" schedule. You can cross the park, fit in meals, catch a character greet, or whatever your fancy.

Under the FastPassMinus system, your day will have to be oriented around those passes in a "rigid" fashion. Additionally, there is no allowance for a change in your personal or family circumstance. It may even limit how many times you can experience an attraction. Try and get 3 FastPassMinus for Toy Story Midway Mania in a day.

Ultimately, based on the testing, published information, and reliable sources on these forums, this is a step backward for "vacations". Your escape from the real world is being encroached upon by a fancy GUI on your computer, phone or tablet that maintains a "rigid" schedule.(and hey, "usual suspects", don't say things like," You can opt not to use it." as that is really a ridiculous option.) Trying to escape from your cell phone became more difficult. The Disney 10,000 mile stare will happen sooner during the trip. Surrender to......oh well....

I hate to think what will be said here if they make FastPassMinus a "paid" upgrade in the future. It may just end up with resort guests getting twice as many FastPassMinus. Would those options be more fair? ("Usual suspects", move along. This is speculative. Feel free to state that "Disney is running a business" somewhere else as we all know that.)

*1023*

I like you.

Fractal514

While I agree that life is not fair, and I myself have made excellent use out of the current fastpass system, I'm not talking about right and wrong, I'm talking about what is in Disney's interest. And if they think this will make more guests overall happy, that is what they are going to do.

Just for the record, in your first line you talk about life not being fair. In your Blizzard Beach scenario, I'd suggest that you refer back to that original point. Yeah, maybe you have to wait in lines or deal with crappy FP's because your plans got changed, but as your said, life isn't fair.

dadddio

???? There were no special rules for me. What I did, anyone else could have.
You are correct. Still, by stopping me or you from getting more than one FP for a specific ride (per day), they maximize the number of people who end up getting FPs for that ride. The end result is that a benefit is received by more people.

dadddio

Life is not fair. After graduate out of the youth league soccer matches, there are no trophies for participation. When I see arguments oriented around the "fairness" of the FastPass legacy system or the new FastPassMinus system, I almost immediately disregard them. Why? See my first line. If your pursuit of "fairness" includes making sure everyone got their allotment of FastPassMinus to the premier "legacy" attractions, that pursuit cannot be realized. ...
I think taking a stand about 'fairness' as a pro or a con is missing the point. The company could care less if something is 'fair'. However, they do understand the importance of maximizing the enjoyment of all the guests. If this means that they do things such as limiting me from getting more than one FP per ride per day, then that's too bad for me, but it benefits more guests than it peaves, so it's a smart decision for the company.

Weather_Lady

You are correct. Still, by stopping me or you from getting more than one FP for a specific ride (per day), they maximize the number of people who end up getting FPs for that ride. The end result is that a benefit is received by more people.

If it really does end up working this way, then I see the benefit.

However, my suspicion is that the same people who make good use of Fastpass now will be the ones using Fastpass+, and the people who've never used Fastpass before won't suddenly start just because somebody gave them a bracelet. (The crowd that prefers to be spontaneous, and/or who couldn't figure out the old system, have no reason to get interested in the new one.)

As a result, the Fastpass+ users have a much worse experience than they did before, and the non-users have a very similar experience to what they had before (albeit with standby lines at headliners being a tiny bit shorter, since people can no longer get multiple Fastpasses for them in a day, and standby lines at other attractions being a little bit longer, since newly-added Fastpass+ return lines will now slow the queues at attractions which used to be walk-ons).

Obviously, this is just a guess on my part. My hope would be that it functions the way you suggest, and that it benefits everybody. I'm sure that was the intent -- I just don't think that it will be the reality.

Last edited:

Todd H

*1023*
citizen_cane.gif

Fractal514

I think folks will definitely be using FP+ more than the old FP system. The way it works now, for the first timers, you show up to a ride and it has a 50 minute wait, someone says, we could get a fast pass, and they see that the fast pass time is for four hours from now. They think, well, we'll have ridden it by then, and I don't want to walk across the park and have to come back, and so they pass. Now the folks who are in the know just send one soldier over with five tickets and scoop them up and then meet them back over at the other ride.

Compare that with being told by your booking agent to set up a mydisneyexperience account that lets you make dining reservations, customize magic bands, and schedule Fast Passes that let you skip the line? And I think folks are much more likely to engage. In fact, I think the first timer is going to love it and end up booking for what they want, not what they think will have a long line. I imagine lots of folks will get FP+ for pirates and haunted mansion and other things that we would never "waste" a FP on.

That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

bkgrim

Not sure what is going to happen with people being able to select their fast passes before they go to wdw. I still believe there will be a large number of people who simply will not do this. Still to this day many people choose just to get in line without passes. The people eater rides like haunted mansion pirates Mickey Phil will still be able to get people through the lines without passes. From what I can tell this might be a problem with tour groups using the system with a large group of people. I was told that I would have to enter everyone of my students park ticket into the system brake them into subgroups for fast passes. They still are not sure if the individual in the group would have their own control on my Disney experience or the group leader. Told I might know more by sept 1 ( taking 200 high school kids and parents to march at Disney in jan).
On a side note I was told we have new updated parade changing areas backstage with interesting art work of Walt Disney on the walls that has never been seen. They allow kids to take pictures in the area now that magic music days is behind the fence backstage magic kingdom.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is there ever any discussion on the benefits to Disney after NextGen is operational? These bands being active RFIDs will allow Disney to track exactly how people tour the parks and the resort as a whole. Not only will they know what FP+ a guest finds valuable they could know what restroom they used, what stores they browsed through, what bus they took after leaving the park, how a group of four split up during the day and what time the guests leave the park. Basically they will know how every MagicBand user interacts with the resort.

While this data gathering is of no immediate benefit to the guest the information generated will pay dividends for decades of future development. Disney covets information and this will provide the mother-load. The immediate benefit to the guest is Disney needs to make the features in NextGen attractive enough to generate a statistically significant sample size.

Not mine it will be living in a RF Shield bag http://www.ramayes.com

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

*1023*

Exactly, This is not a vacation this is Work with a capital W, Used to be a Disney trip was about checking out from reality for a few days, powering down the smartphone perhaps you still had it but it was ALL THE WAY OFF, MM- and FP- are not the way I want to vacation

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom