My Magic + details ...

jessfriends

Mine wasn't a Premium AP but I had a similar experience with my WDW Parks-Only AP. My next trip allows me to attend the last MNSSHP and first MVMVP. We decided to do both. I linked up both sets of extra event tickets and both APs for Mrs. Wiggum and I onto my Disney account. Everything was fine except my AP was there but showing an error. Mrs. Wiggum's AP was showing correctly with the correct expiration date. About 2 weeks ago, I called tech support to inquire about the issue. I was told the same thing (they are working on it). This morning, my AP was showing correctly in my Disney account. So whatever technical issue they had was solved. I don't know if it was the same issue you're experiencing but I'd check again.

Personally, I love the idea of being able to link all tickets along with my room key and resort charge. I found it a bit cumbersome to have to manage the AP separately. Mrs Wiggum always seemed to have problems with her AP that required at least one (or more) replacements per trip.

Thanks, I have been trying and called again today and no luck. The engineers are still working on it. They still have me on file having an AP because I got my Mickey monitor a week or so ago. They said the Disneyland ticket would become paperless and would not work there if it was linked. I will keep trying but I will be going in early October and my resort is not testing the bands anyways. I won't have the premier next year when I would go so hopefully a regular AP will work then. Enjoy your trip!

luv

Is there ever any discussion on the benefits to Disney after NextGen is operational? These bands being active RFIDs will allow Disney to track exactly how people tour the parks and the resort as a whole. Not only will they know what FP+ a guest finds valuable they could know what restroom they used, what stores they browsed through, what bus they took after leaving the park, how a group of four split up during the day and what time the guests leave the park. Basically they will know how every MagicBand user interacts with the resort.

While this data gathering is of no immediate benefit to the guest the information generated will pay dividends for decades of future development. Disney covets information and this will provide the mother-load. The immediate benefit to the guest is Disney needs to make the features in NextGen attractive enough to generate a statistically significant sample size.
I know it will give them information on people. Not everyone,,lol, but on some people. What I don't know is how that information, on its own, will produce over a billion dollars.

Any ideas?

luv

It doesn't have to.

How much revenue do you think adding free Wifi to the parks will add? Not every expense will drive new revenue directly.
Wifi is something people want and will use. It improves the vacation experience for many. Anything that makes a vacations better gets people going home happier. And when they loved their vacation, they tell their friends and co-workers. Then those people want to do it, too.

Door locks, wristbands and credit card machines aren't something people wanted. They won't improve the vacation and it certainly isn't something that would make anyone else want to visit.

I just don't see how this is going to make any money. Business should only spend money when and where they must. The point is to bring in more money, not spend it.

If you're going to spend a billion dollars, there should be a reason.

There must be a reason.

What is it?

lazyboy97o

Wifi is something people want and will use. It improves the vacation experience for many. Anything that makes a vacations better gets people going home happier. And when they loved their vacation, they tell their friends and co-workers. Then those people want to do it, too.

Door locks, wristbands and credit card machines aren't something people wanted. They won't improve the vacation and it certainly isn't something that would make anyone else want to visit.

I just don't see how this is going to make any money. Business should only spend money when and where they must. The point is to bring in more money, not spend it.

If you're going to spend a billion dollars, there should be a reason.

There must be a reason.

What is it?
Then why is the entire hotel industry moving towards RFID keys over magnetic stripe cards?

Keys Please

The number of people that ride attractions multiple times per day with Fastpass is minimal. I know it's there, but I think that's minimal.

Not really trying to refute your point, but I guess I'm in the minimal crowd. In June my family and I rode Star Tours 6 times before 3:00, 3 of which were with Fastpass. That included a Fastpass for TSMM during the same time. Not that we planned that out obsessively or anything, but my kids wanted to keep riding ST. Can't plan 6 months ahead for that kind of thing.

Oh, and later I rode ToT and RnRC by myself, using 2 of my family's 4 tickets, during the time it took my family (none of whom ride thrillers) to browse a couple shops. (Will FP+ allow that? - different FP's for each ticket in the party. Or will they have to be all the same attraction?)

We actually used a total of 7 FP's on a day we left the park by 5:30. Needless to say, my family was really disappointed when I told them that touring Disneyworld like that in the future will be out of the question. Mainly because they are like me and don't think any attraction at Disneyworld is worth waiting more than 15-20 minutes for.

luv

Then why is the entire hotel industry moving towards RFID keys over magnetic stripe cards?
I don't know. You got me. I didn't even know they were. Are they spending a billion dollars on it?

My question is, "Why?" Why has Disney spent the billion dollars?

How will it make them money?

lazyboy97o

I don't know. You got me. I didn't even know they were. Are they spending a billion dollars on it?

My question is, "Why?" Why has Disney spent the billion dollars?

How will it make them money?
Hotels are moving to RFID cards. A key advantage is that they will not demagnetize the way the old cards would, and Disney's seemed rather susceptible to this, as well as being reusable amongst frequent visitors. If you're going to offer that, it is a logical step to include the tap system in the rest of the Key to the World system, with room charging not being new or unusual to hotels and resorts. Each piece then needs to be accounted for: every door lock, every turnstile, and every register terminal. That involves thousands of physical pieces as well as software to make it work and along with training people.

In terms of cost, it is the same reason Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid cost more than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. But the cost is not just for the RFID system or the MagicBands but the entire package. The new Walt Disney World website and app are also part of NextGen. In-room and in-park WiFi is part of NextGen, and you cannot just plug in a few $60 wireless routers from Best Buy. You need the equipment to handle the traffic loads as well as increase the amount of bandwidth to try and properly handle those loads. I would also then imagine, since all of this is occurring, it is being taken as an opportunity to upgrade other systems like servers that no guest will see but will be needed to continue to run everything. That is a lot of cost before even getting into the extras like FastPass+ (most of which makes sense given the other upgrades and industry trends), enhanced MagicBand experiences and interactive queues.

Fractal514

We actually used a total of 7 FP's on a day we left the park by 5:30. Needless to say, my family was really disappointed when I told them that touring Disneyworld like that in the future will be out of the question. Mainly because they are like me and don't think any attraction at Disneyworld is worth waiting more than 15-20 minutes for.

I agree with you about not wanting to wait for attractions, but who the heck does? I totally get how your ability to maximize the system being lost will stink for you and YOUR family, but can you see how it will be on average a better process? Recognizing of course that very few people are able to use the system as you do and that if everyone did, many would be unable to use FP at all?

flynnibus

Premium Member

You keep going round and round on this... I'm don't think us repeating ourselves will make you understand it anymore. Not all investment that benefits guests is in things the guests directly see nor directly demand.

RSoxNo1

A person on another Disney board is claiming the FP+ window is being moved from 60 days to 3 weeks in advance. Anyone here know if that is true?

Hopefully it's true. Anyone know more?

I had also heard conflicting info about "First come, first serve" regarding FP+ reservations being held back for same day use. Has anyone heard anything that they would be held back? At the Expo, I was told explicitly that they would not be held back by a "Fastpass+ expert"

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think all this simply reenforces the notion that has been reiterated here multiple times.

This is a system Disney can continually tune and tweak to their own ends. How many, park hopping, ratios, lead time, etc... all of this is simply a snapshot in a point in time. Disney may change things, they may not. But unlike other concepts - this is all 'software'. It can be changed. One should not get too hung up on a number now... when it's been clear things are still fluid. Feedback about the numbers... but don't act like that is permanent.

Blueliner

I think all this simply reenforces the notion that has been reiterated here multiple times.

This is a system Disney can continually tune and tweak to their own ends. How many, park hopping, ratios, lead time, etc... all of this is simply a snapshot in a point in time. Disney may change things, they may not. But unlike other concepts - this is all 'software'. It can be changed. One should not get too hung up on a number now... when it's been clear things are still fluid. Feedback about the numbers... but don't act like that is permanent.

If there are tweaks, my hope is that they tweak it to a point where FP+ can be used only once you have checked in to your resort. That would allow a guest to obtain fastpasses slightly in advance (without traversing the park for each one), but not so far in advance that fastpasses end up being "wasted" by those that made "reservations" 60 days out and then did not use them due to altered touring plans upon arrival on property. You could even throw in some FP+ kiosks at the resorts for those that aren't using a smartphone. That doesn't help the AP holders and off-property visitors, but it likely would increase the availability of "day of" FP's in the parks.

My only concern would be that constant adjustments to the system over a lengthy period of time would further frustrate guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom