Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

menamechris

And if that's truly the case...the Gringott's coaster is going to be one of the most technologically advanced rides as well as awesome coasters out there!
There goes Universal still upping the ante, while Disney is fine with mediocrity.

I haven't been to Universal in years - but I am excited to go back. I should just go get an annual pass - but I would love to hold out until the HP expansion opens. There will be an insane amount for me to experience and explore by that time all around their resort. It will definetly be fun since WDW doesn't seem to like to do much except create pretty, themed areas anymore.

spacemt354

Chili's
You are ignoring Hogsmead itself. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is much more than its three attractions. The themed environment itself has been highly praised. The retail and dining are huge components that defy Walt Disney World's strategy of homogenized, mass availability.

Being specific is the only way it is something new. Being general, as a swinging coaster, is not new at all.

Again, you didn't read my post. I said they added Harry Potter themes to the area to appease the masses. Is Hogsmead not a Harry Potter theme that everyone likes? Just not sure how themes are ground breaking. Not saying they don't deserve praise, but if they are ground breaking, then the FLE has also broken ground in that respect as well. So again, I have not devalued anything. FLE is more than three attractions as well, so we should just enjoy both, and not hype up one while crushing the other.

You can be general all you want, fact is 7D is a new ride system.

HenryMystic

And rumors mean nothing to me until the construction starts. If Gringott's is built, then that's great. But that doesn't mean the ride system of 7D is not new, which was the entire point of what I was saying.

Early construction has started on Gringotts, but I'm sure you can appreciate a project of that scale has many things that need to happen underground before any verticle construction happens.

lazyboy97o

Again, you didn't read my post. I said they added Harry Potter themes to the area to appease the masses. Is Hogsmead not a Harry Potter theme that everyone likes? Just not sure how themes are ground breaking. Not saying they don't deserve praise, but if they are ground breaking, then the FLE has also broken ground in that respect as well. So again, I have not devalued anything. FLE is more than three attractions as well, so we should just enjoy both, and not hype up one while crushing the other.
Yes, Hogsmead is more than just a popular applied theme. It is considered one of the greatest achievements in themed entertainment. That is not hyperbole, that is the level of praise it has received not only from theme park fans, but people who work in the theme park industry.

There is no buzz like that surrounding Fantasyland. It is nice, but as of now it is Disney being safe.

You can be general all you want, fact is 7D is a new ride system.
First you complain I am being too specific, then you complain I am being general.

MotherOfBirds

I was leading a group of kids at the DHS Y.E.S. Program the other day and I mentioned the coaster to her. SHe confirmed that it had been greenlit, and then progress halted, then greenlit again, then stopped, etc. She didn't have time to elaborate, but she basically confirmed for me that they're trying to get the project moving.

flynnibus

Premium Member
With WWOHP, Uni broke new ground on one ride, Forbidden Journey. Other than that, they simply rethemed two rides that were already there, and added themes from HP series that appease the masses due to Harry Potter's popularity. . I've never been on FJ. I'm sure it's awesome, and they did break new ground, but looking at the project as a whole, that was the only thing that really "broke new ground" to me.

You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what you obviously haven't studied or experienced.

WWOHP is so popular for far more reasons than simply FJ. It's so popular because of the 'end to end' treatment of the place. It has shops people just want to browse. It has merchandise people . It has live entertainment - including one people are willing to stand in line for over an hour for. It has tie in for foods. It has taken the theme and applied it to virtually every surface in the place. It's so popular because it's so immersive and inclusive. To dismiss it simply because they didn't add in a bunch of new rides is fools talk - because it overlooks what actually makes the place so successful.

WWOHP would be rocking it even if FJ didn't exist. The shop implementations and merch ties are worth a theme park award alone. Don't think for a moment Disney wasn't eyeing that hard and what lead to what you see in Carsland now. That is advancements you overlook.

Then move onto FLE...."there isn't a single attraction there that hasn't been done before"...although 7D may not be the E-ticket people want, or the size people think it should be, it is using a new ride system that has never been done before

I think the other poster was refering to the fact it's still just two roller coasters, a spinner, and a dark ride. Compared to the entirely new direction FJ took, vs a simple variation.

But to say FLE has nothing new isn't true, and that kind of statement devalues a project that I believe will turn out quite spectacular in terms of detail and design.

Besides the seven dwarves coaster - what do you think will be so new and innovative in the area?

menamechris

I was leading a group of kids at the DHS Y.E.S. Program the other day and I mentioned the coaster to her. SHe confirmed that it had been greenlit, and then progress halted, then greenlit again, then stopped, etc. She didn't have time to elaborate, but she basically confirmed for me that they're trying to get the project moving.

Who is she?

lazyboy97o

Supposedly concept art was even briefly posted on the Hub one night. A shame nobody got some cell phone pictures to leak.

spacemt354

Chili's
WWOHP is so popular for far more reasons than simply FJ. It's so popular because of the 'end to end' treatment of the place. It has shops people just want to browse. It has merchandise people . It has live entertainment - including one people are willing to stand in line for over an hour for. It has tie in for foods. It has taken the theme and applied it to virtually every surface in the place. It's so popular because it's so immersive and inclusive. To dismiss it simply because they didn't add in a bunch of new rides is fools talk - because it overlooks what actually makes the place so successful.

Okay then, hear me out from this perspective.

FLE is so popular for far more reasons than 7D. It's so popular because of the 'end to end' treatment of the place. It has shops like Bonjore Gifts that people just want to browse. It has merchandise people . It has live entertainment (Storytime with Belle, Princess Fairytale Hall, Ariel's Grotto) that people are willing to stand in line for over an hour. It has tie in for foods (Be Our Guest Restaurant, Gaston's Tavern) It has taken the theme and applied it to virtually every surface in the place. It's so popular because it's so immersive and inclusive. To dismiss it because it didn't add an E-ticket is fools talk - because it overlooks what actually makes the place successful.

How does that sound? Pretty similar right? The reason why I say this is because the poster I had responded to "dismissed" the FLE by saying it didn't add anything new. In no way I trying to overlook the lush and immersive detail HP has added in my earlier statements. That detail is why we are taking a day out of our disney trip just to see the WWOHP. I'm a huge Potter fan myself, so I look forward to seeing it.

I think the other poster was refering to the fact it's still just two roller coasters, a spinner, and a dark ride.

Ah, see but "just" two coaster, a spinner, and a dark ride? What about all the other FLE details I had mentioned? I'm not going to say you are dismissing those details because all we don't need to write a novel in every post. But just understand that I wasn't dismissing the details of HP either. I was only focused on FJ because that is what I thought truly broke gound.

WDW1974

There's a balance.
It seems that, on this board, for every doom-and-gloom "good ol' days" "anything new is terrible" member on this board, we have one like you who thinks Meg Crofton poops rainbows will vehemently defend absolutely anything Disney does simply because Disney's doing it.
Is Disney still my favorite theme park enterprise? Yes.
Is Disney slipping into being managed by bean counters? Yes.
You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and then you have... Walt Disney World.

Yeah and the Spirit has a story about Kim Fields at EPCOT Center too ... I just wish he could recall it now.

WDW1974

Yeah, not even close. They literally haven't passed Disney in any way, shape or form. Do they have done new motion simulators? Yes. Polishing a turd.

See, what this site needs is a 'lost all cred with one ignorant statement' button.

That would be way kewl. And I know who would be getting that button pushed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Uh oh. Universal are building another simulator in Orlando.

Except this is a full 3 axis motion vehicle that travels in track in multiple directions on two floors through ST2 quality visuals and physical, seamless show scenes.

If only Disney had funded more EMV development.

It certainly is war.

Next Big Thing

It certainly is war.
Martin, this is not a war. It is clearly an uneven battle and Universal/Comcast is showing Disney that if you build cool things, people will come. If you build cool things that attract lots of people, guess what? Not only will you please the guest, but people will WANT to spend money in the parks on things such as Butterbeer, Pumpkin Juice or Energon (hopefully) when Transformers arrives. Instead of doing that, TDO does the opposite and charges more for less. I'm hoping disney uses Avatar wisely and doesn't take the cheap way out. Whether you like the movie or not (not speaking directly to you Martin), this land could be great if done right. There's a lot of ways to go and if in the hands of Uni i'd actually have more faith of it being done right. But I don't have much faith of Disney not taking the cheap route so i'm not holding my breath on anything cool. Or anything at all.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'll respectfully disagree. Theres a battle looming now in Orlando not seen since the mid 80s when MCA announced USO. To directly quote Eisner from back then "they invaded our home turf."

I'd doubt that anything will move the WDW parks from their current position and ranking, but the more hits the opposition makes the more the dents will finally stick. Comcast have realised what a cash cow is and how to work it. When will TDO discover again you have to speculate to accumulate?

The real winner in this will be the theme park guest. Whether TDO finally counteracts or not.

the.dreamfinder

I'll respectfully disagree. Theres a battle looming now in Orlando not seen since the mid 80s when MCA announced USO. To directly quote Eisner from back then "they invaded our home turf."

I'd doubt that anything will move the WDW parks from their current position and ranking, but the more hits the opposition makes the more the dents will finally stick. Comcast have realised what a cash cow is and how to work it. When will TDO discover again you have to speculate to accumulate?

The real winner in this will be the theme park guest. Whether TDO finally counteracts or not.
It also helps that your CEO ran EuroDisney too. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay then, hear me out from this perspective.

FLE is so popular for far more reasons than 7D. It's so popular because of the 'end to end' treatment of the place. It has shops like Bonjore Gifts that people just want to browse. It has merchandise people . It has live entertainment (Storytime with Belle, Princess Fairytale Hall, Ariel's Grotto) that people are willing to stand in line for over an hour. It has tie in for foods (Be Our Guest Restaurant, Gaston's Tavern) It has taken the theme and applied it to virtually every surface in the place. It's so popular because it's so immersive and inclusive. To dismiss it because it didn't add an E-ticket is fools talk - because it overlooks what actually makes the place successful.

How does that sound? Pretty similar right?

No - because you failed to understand the stuff I outlined was all NEW and innovative directions. What you attempted to do does not work because everything in red already existed BEFORE NFE - so it's not going to be new and innovative directions. Just a new version of what already existed.

The food angle isn't the same. BOG is just going to be another restaurant, themed to a place from the movie. The difference is in WWOHP, the food WAS part of the story. From the various candies, to butterbeer itself. They were PART of the story that people were dying to experience themselves. 'Just what DOES butterbeer actually taste like that make them like it so much?' 'What does a magical chocolate frog really look like?'.

You've fallen into the classic theme park copy-cat's mistake..

Try to copy what someone else is doing - without actually understanding WHY what they did works or not. So when you clone it, it doesn't work the same.

To the rest - I'm sure NFE will be amazingly detailed and look great. But how many people walk around and go 'wow, I really wish I knew what the rest of Belle's village was like... ' or 'could you imagine shopping at the bookstore in the village!?!?'. Belle's village isn't nearly as compelling as hogsmeade because it was just inert in the story and inconsequential.

It's comparing a highly detailed, relatively benign place compared to a highly detailed place that people actually lusted to see and be in themselves, and takes the experience in new directions with integrated food and shopping concepts.

Who wants a 'Belle's village' t-shirt? But everyone wants a Griffidore t-shirt - or some zonko's candies..

Yellow Strap

My two cents...
Universal has great rides and lately they have really upped their game in terms of development and implementation. Great for them. I like Universal. HP Land is incredibly well themed and fun.

The main difference I see between them is not the number of rides but the story, details and experiences.
Disney does invest more in story, details and experiences in their parks and lands than Uni does.
Does this make Uni less of a park...No.

Obviously USO is going to be second to Disney for a awhile. They don't have enough land and time to catch up in the conceivable future. Even after HP, they trailed attendence by nearly 10 million. That is big.

WDW lately had invested more in hotels, restaurants and other experiences. Why? Their plan is to get people to make WDW a destination for a full week. That equals more money.

Right now Uni is a great place to visit for one or two days. It is not a Destination. Rides alone do not make a destination. Now they have plans for a new hotel. Great. That is a start.

As it stands, the majority of people going to Uni are either staying at Disney or spending the majority of their vacation at Disney.

Personally...variety is great. I like to have choices. I don't go to Uni every year we are in Orlando, but I try every couple. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom