Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

Victor Kelly

I applaud TDO for doing Fantasyland. We lost Snow Whites adventures, which is an acceptable loss but unfortunate. I understand the RFID for mugs. But the toys in the lines stuff confounds me.

Ignohippo

Yeah they don't want to build 6 new motion simulators like Motion Simulator Studios.

The thing I find the most hilarious and ironic about this statement (and I'm surprised no one here has picked up on yet), is that Disney has been accused of that much more than UNI has!!

So, Soarin' and Star Tours aren't simulators? Besides that, WDW has TSMM, Grand Fiesta, Muppets, Philharmagic and Nemo which all use screens, so your arguments really aren't valid. In fact, there was a huge uproar on these boards when it was mentioned that the main attraction in Avatar might be a "motion simulator".

td1129

The thing I find the most hilarious and ironic about this statement (and I'm surprised no one here has picked up on yet), is that Disney has been accused of that much more than UNI has!!

So, Soarin' and Star Tours aren't simulators? Besides that, WDW has TSMM, Grand Fiesta, Muppets, Philharmagic and Nemo which all use screens, so your arguments really aren't valid. In fact, there was a huge uproar on these boards when it was mentioned that the main attraction in Avatar might be a "motion simulator".

And it still escapes you that people here will hate Disney regardless of what they do?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
And it still escapes you that people here will hate Disney regardless of what they do?
There's a balance.
It seems that, on this board, for every doom-and-gloom "good ol' days" "anything new is terrible" member on this board, we have one like you who thinks Meg Crofton poops rainbows will vehemently defend absolutely anything Disney does simply because Disney's doing it.
Is Disney still my favorite theme park enterprise? Yes.
Is Disney slipping into being managed by bean counters? Yes.
You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and then you have... Walt Disney World.

td1129

I do not defend everything they do. I simply call people out on here who've bought the absurd idea that Universal is some kind of target that Disney should aim to hit. The ones that enter any thread with the express purpose of making some unfunny backhanded or sarcastic dig at Disney for the sake of doing what they think makes them cool on here. In short, the people who make this forum suck when it could be so much better.

bubbles1812

I do not defend everything they do. I simply call people out on here who've bought the absurd idea that Universal is some kind of target that Disney should aim to hit. The ones that enter any thread with the express purpose of making some unfunny backhanded or sarcastic dig at Disney for the sake of doing what they think makes them cool on here. In short, the people who make this forum suck when it could be so much better.

Very few people have actually said that. What people point out is that Disney should keep to the standards they set for themselves! Which they haven't been doing. I think what you interpret as "making some unfunny backhanded comment or sarcastic dig" is often valid criticism, albeit not always expressed maybe in the best way. But you seem to take most of what people say and seem to turn it into, "oh, we are trying to be cool just to be cool"...when it's not. We all love Disney. We just want it to better and for Disney to do what they are actually capable of instead of management just being concerned with their quarterly bonus.

I don't defend everything Universal or Disney does. I will give praise where there is praise to be had as well as criticism too. And again, right now, Universal is investing much more in their parks and developing more things (actual confirmed projects) than Disney. Disney meanwhile, continues to cut back on spending and removing things...so nuts to you if that's something you think is great.

bubbles1812

I respect that opinion, but the bitterness and negativity is rampant and extremely annoying. JMO.

I will give you that sometimes the negativity does get out of hand. I try not to go "that far" but I've probably been guilty of it a time or two (Hey no one is perfect). But it's also extremely frustrating to look at the "other side" that just simply refuses to accept that not only are there some problems at Disney (which, there are) but also refuses to accept to even entertain the possibility that their competition is doing good even great things, and sometimes, at least currently, even better than Disney. My example again, is the development of new projects, or even more basic than that, the willingness to spend money. Universal is pouring money into their parks. Disney simply isn't and that's a philosophy that has been endorsed as happening at the corporate level. Universal has multiple projects in the works. Disney has one big project that no one is exactly sure is even coming at this point (though I think Avatar will appear in at least some capacity). So again, that's why Universal gets praise from me right now. Disney hasn't impressed me as much lately...

Ignohippo

Universal's efforts are absolutely something Disney should be trying to meet. Universal has leap-frogged Disney in almost every way in the past 10 years. It used to be Disney was at a level all by themselves - it isn't that way anymore.

td1129

Universal's efforts are absolutely something Disney should be trying to meet. Universal has leap-frogged Disney in almost every way in the past 10 years. It used to be Disney was at a level all by themselves - it isn't that way anymore.

Yeah, not even close. They literally haven't passed Disney in any way, shape or form. Do they have done new motion simulators? Yes. Polishing a turd.

Mike C

I haven't been following the thread, but the only simulators I remember are Despicable Me and Simpsons? Two 3d shows (Shrek and Terminator), and the rest are actual moving rides with sets (MIB!) or shows. What else am I missing?

bubbles1812

Yeah, not even close. They literally haven't passed Disney in any way, shape or form. Do they have done new motion simulators? Yes. Polishing a turd.

You see, this is what I was referencing. You come across as incredibly closed minded and can't even entertain the idea that Disney's competitors are actually doing some things right. There is a reason TubaGeek said it seems like you think Meg Crofton poops rainbows...

They have leap frogged Disney in ride development, investing in their parks, new infrastructure, just spending money, any money at all, not cutting down on things they offer to guests, and a host of other things. Also, your last two sentences make pretty much no sense. Disney's new rides are nothing more than carbon copies of rides already in existence as well as a ride very similar to others not just in existence at WDW...but at the same park!

spacemt354

Chili's
I haven't been following the thread, but the only simulators I remember are Despicable Me and Simpsons? Two 3d shows (Shrek and Terminator), and the rest are actual moving rides with sets (MIB!) or shows. What else am I missing?

Missing the fact that this thread was supposed to be about a monster's inc. ride. Haha, but instead got dragged into another pointless debate over Universal. I don't see a problem with liking both parks. Simulators or omnimovers, every park has ride systems that are duplicated. Haunted Mansion and Buzz Lighteryear have the exact same ride system. So I think calling out Uni for the same ride systems is kinda of a double standard, because disney does the exact same thing. And again, just because someone defends Uni doesn't necessarily mean they are bashing Disney. For the most part, it's because they like things about both parks, and people can be fans of both, not just one.

Ignohippo

Missing the fact that this thread was supposed to be about a monster's inc. ride. Haha, but instead got dragged into another pointless debate over Universal. I don't see a problem with liking both parks. Simulators or omnimovers, every park has ride systems that are duplicated. Haunted Mansion and Buzz Lighteryear have the exact same ride system. So I think calling out Uni for the same ride systems is kinda of a double standard, because disney does the exact same thing. And again, just because someone defends Uni doesn't necessarily mean they are bashing Disney. For the most part, it's because they like things about both parks, and people can be fans of both, not just one.

Actually, it's that we love Disney that much more. We want the Disney parks to be the best they can be. We understand this is a business, but you have to spend money to make money. Quite simply, Disney isn't spending money on the things that give their guests more bang for their buck.

Look, Universal just broke all kinds of new ground with WWOHP. WDW has the FLE, and there isn't a single attraction there that hasn't been done before.

spacemt354

Chili's
Actually, it's that we love Disney that much more. We want the Disney parks to be the best they can be. We understand this is a business, but you have to spend money to make money. Quite simply, Disney isn't spending money on the things that give their guests more bang for their buck.

Look, Universal just broke all kinds of new ground with WWOHP. WDW has the FLE, and there isn't a single attraction there that hasn't been done before.

I wasn't really talking about that. I don't know whether someone likes Disney more or less, I was just saying it's fine to like Disney and Uni, and we don't have to get into mind numbing debates over this and that regarding the two parks.

And now I gotta say..come on. Really? You hyperbolize one park and then undermind the other. This was what I was talking about. With WWOHP, Uni broke new ground on one ride, Forbidden Journey. Other than that, they simply rethemed two rides that were already there, and added themes from HP series that appease the masses due to Harry Potter's popularity. I've never been on FJ. I'm sure it's awesome, and they did break new ground, but looking at the project as a whole, that was the only thing that really "broke new ground" to me. Then move onto FLE...."there isn't a single attraction there that hasn't been done before"...although 7D may not be the E-ticket people want, or the size people think it should be, it is using a new ride system that has never been done before. Regardless of the attraction's size, or apparent lack thereof, that doesn't dismiss the idea that it's new. And the place isn't finished yet, heck not close at the rate it is being constructed. But to say FLE has nothing new isn't true, and that kind of statement devalues a project that I believe will turn out quite spectacular in terms of detail and design.

lazyboy97o

I've never been on FJ. I'm sure it's awesome, and they did break new ground, but looking at the project as a whole, that was the only thing that really "broke new ground" to me. Then move onto FLE...."there isn't a single attraction there that hasn't been done before"...although 7D may not be the E-ticket people want, or the size people think it should be, it is using a new ride system that has never been done before.
You get onto somebody for over praising one thing and undercutting another, and do the same thing. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter itself has been highly praised and itself won awards separate of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. While the specific rocking mechanism of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is new, the concept itself is not. Arrow Dynamics built suspending swinging coasters in the 1980s. Today products such as Mack's E-Motion Coaster offer cars that move. If the rumors of the Gringott's coaster are true, Universal will one up the swinging movement of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train by having a programable motion base built into the roller coaster cars.

cheezbat

You get onto somebody for over praising one thing and undercutting another, and do the same thing. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter itself has been highly praised and itself won awards separate of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. While the specific rocking mechanism of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is new, the concept itself is not. Arrow Dynamics built suspending swinging coasters in the 1980s. Today products such as Mack's E-Motion Coaster offer cars that move. If the rumors of the Gringott's coaster are true, Universal will one up the swinging movement of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train by having a programable motion base built into the roller coaster cars.

And if that's truly the case...the Gringott's coaster is going to be one of the most technologically advanced rides as well as awesome coasters out there!
There goes Universal still upping the ante, while Disney is fine with mediocrity.

spacemt354

Chili's

Hmm...not sure how I undercut anything. Maybe you should read my entire post next time. Never said HP didn't deserve praise. In fact, I praised it myself, and I'll praise it again. I think what they did with FJ was very innovative, and I can't wait till next month when I actually see it. Not sure how I devalued a project by saying what it was. If you think the Hippogriff ride is breaking ground, then that's your opinion.

And you're really gonna get that specific with me? You have no point. There are swings at playgrounds too. The concept of swinging is not new, and I never said it was. Actually, you repeated what I said, you just used different words. I said "new ride system", you said "rocking mechanism of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is new" ...And again, I don't see your point of how I am hyperbolizing this attraction when I graded it for what it was.

And rumors mean nothing to me until the construction starts. If Gringott's is built, then that's great. But that doesn't mean the ride system of 7D is not new, which was the entire point of what I was saying.

lazyboy97o

Hmm...not sure how I undercut anything. Maybe you should read my entire post next time. Never said HP didn't deserve praise. In fact, I praised it myself, and I'll praise it again. I think what they did with FJ was very innovative, and I can't wait till next month when I actually see it. Not sure how I devalued a project by saying what it was. If you think the Hippogriff ride is breaking ground, then that's your opinion.
You are ignoring Hogsmead itself. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is much more than its three attractions. The themed environment itself has been highly praised. The retail and dining are huge components that defy Walt Disney World's strategy of homogenized, mass availability.

And you're really gonna get that specific with me? You have no point. There are swings at playgrounds too. The concept of swinging is not new, and I never said it was. Actually, you repeated what I said, you just used different words. I said "new ride system", you said "rocking mechanism of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is new" ...And again, I don't see your point of how I am hyperbolizing this attraction when I graded it for what it was.

And rumors mean nothing to me until the construction starts. If Gringott's is built, then that's great. But that doesn't mean the ride system of 7D is not new, which was the entire point of what I was saying.
Being specific is the only way it is something new. Being general, as a swinging coaster, is not new at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom