Mission:Space update (confirmed)

HMF

why the hatred towards avatar? Everyone who has been says it's an excellent fit at the park, it's a fully immersive land with two quality attractions.
It was a forgettable movie from a rival studio that's story is derivative of previous (Much better) movies and it only very loosely relates to the theme of Animal Kingdom and most importantly it is taking up valuable real estate where something better (Beastly Kingdom, Maybe?) could be built. I just hope the theming is generic enough so that the Avatar IP can easily be removed after a few years.

HMF

Sunshine, you are completely ****ing clueless. He works for the company. He isn't able to say 'yes' or 'no' to a project. If he wants to continue to work for the company, he works on what he is assigned. Unless you're proposing he takes some kind of 'stand' and quits over it. Are you going to pay his salary so he can 'show them!'?
I am perfectly aware of Joe's situation and no, I won't be paying his salary but there is another organization up I-5 that just might.

Beacon Joe

I just hope the theming is generic enough so that the Avatar IP can easily be removed after a few years.

Let's hope. The whole Avatar thing was a weird thing for Disney to grasp at.

They could eventually fill in the bases of those stupid floating mountains, and retheme it closely or loosely around Zhangjiajie National Park. Bring in Asian fauna such as pandas, red pandas, Asiatic black bears, fishing cats, otters, etc.

Or make it themed around the Legend of Chima.;) Or perhaps, around the film Avatar ripped off, Pocahontas. At least that was actually a Disney film.

HMF

Let's hope. The whole Avatar thing was a weird thing for Disney to grasp at.

They could eventually fill in the bases of those stupid floating mountains, and retheme it closely or loosely around Zhangjiajie National Park. Bring in Asian fauna such as pandas, red pandas, Asiatic black bears, fishing cats, otters, etc.

Or make it themed around the Legend of Chima.;) Or perhaps, around the film Avatar ripped off, Pocahontas. At least that was actually a Disney film.
I was hoping for Beastly Kingdom, While I don't think Pocahontas was that great a movie (too much revisionist history for my taste) It was certainly better than Avatar and as you can see Disney could probably sue Cameron for a credit on Avatar and possibly win considering how blatantly they copied Pocahontas.
upload_2017-5-8_21-39-10.png

Biff215

Hey guys, there's an entire forum for the Avatar stuff, although I'm fairly sure those arguments have already been beaten to death. The details we've seen from the land already have quieted most of those concerns it seems, though you are certainly entitled to your opinions.

M:S...assuming they could have all the new media ready before the refurb, is there any reason they couldn't get the updates done this summer? I can't imagine they would change a whole lot cosmetically, and even if they do, it shouldn't take all that long. Unless there are mechanics with the ride system itself that need addressing?

HMF

M:S...assuming they could have all the new media ready before the refurb, is there any reason they couldn't get the updates done this summer? I can't imagine they would change a whole lot cosmetically, and even if they do, it shouldn't take all that long. Unless there are mechanics with the ride system itself that need addressing?
Regarding M:S If the plans are as minimal as most of us are hearing (which I think is unfortunate seeing as how the pavilion has MUCH more potential) I would expect all the updates to be done this Summer.

BEARSHOUSE4

Original Poster
What if it was designed to just swap out software and voila! Add a little paint, carpet, refresh the exit..... new ride!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What if it was designed to just swap out software and voila! Add a little paint, carpet, refresh the exit..... new ride!
Well, with a few new joysticks, a larger viewscreen that goes all the way across the cabin, and a couple of hyperspace switches, you could easily be piloting the Millennium Falcon...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Mission cash grab. Life would be a lot easier when you realize WDW is in the business of making money.
So would if you knew it's been like that since 1971. Just not trying to fleece every extra dime.

why the hatred towards avatar? Everyone who has been says it's an excellent fit at the park, it's a fully immersive land with two quality attractions.
There's a whole sub forum debating why.

What if indeed.

Kamikaze

I am perfectly aware of Joe's situation and no, I won't be paying his salary but there is another organization up I-5 that just might.

You're saying he should refuse a project from Disney, quit, and go work for Universal? Because you don't think IPs are good to build? Or is it simply because you don't like Guardians and Avatar? Because IPs are the only thing that Universal builds now. So instead of Avatar/Marvel/SW, he would be working on Potter and Nintendo. Some statement that would make, eh?

Kamikaze

The Guardians of the Galaxy issue is a different one entirely. That fundamentally changes that park. I actually think it's entirely reasonable that Mission Breakout will be a superior attraction that DCA's Tower of Terror. However, switching the ride from one to the other also forces them to change the name of the park from Disney California Adventure to something that no longer has California in the name.

I don't like getting rid of Tower in DCA, but they are changing what that park is. They just took a really odd way to do it, they decided on a quick overhaul of a D/E-ticket with only loose references to greater changes. My objection to Tower going away isn't thematic fit for the land that it's in, but rather the park as a whole. Hollywoodland was a thematic mess, but Tower Light was still a very solid attraction that absolutely belonged in a park called Disney California Adventure.

The story of the ride puts the tower in CA.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It was certainly better than Avatar and as you can see Disney could probably sue Cameron for a credit on Avatar and possibly win considering how blatantly they copied Pocahontas.
View attachment 203789
Its interesting how Cameron always mentions that he had been dreaming up Avatar since the 80's. I just assumed that meant he saw FernGully or Dances With Wolves in the early 90's and just decided to say he was planning it since the 80s, lol

Kamikaze

It will be a singularly momentous occasion the first time aliens make contact with us and shoehorn themselves onto earth and announce their presence.

In the MCU, aliens have been 'known' on Earth since the attack on NYC in Avengers 1. Mission: Breakout takes place in the MCU, just as Cars Land takes place in the Cars 'Universe'.

"Shoehorned" as opposed to "puts".

Well, the theme of the park is 'California'. If the story says its in CA, then it fits. Obviously they 'made' it fit, but its not like they are telling you that you're on Sunset Boulevard while you're in the middle of a Florida swamp, right?

Kamikaze

IIt was certainly better than Avatar and as you can see Disney could probably sue Cameron for a credit on Avatar and possibly win considering how blatantly they copied Pocahontas.

I missed this. Are you somehow insinuating that Disney came up with the story of Pocahontas? You do know that the vast majority of their animated classic movies are adapted from books and other 'free use' licenses, right?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In the MCU, aliens have been 'known' on Earth since the attack on NYC in Avengers 1. Mission: Breakout takes place in the MCU, just as Cars Land takes place in the Cars 'Universe'.

So, they've been shoehorning themselves for a long time now?

Nickels5

So would if you knew it's been like that since 1971. Just not trying to fleece every extra dime.

There's a whole sub forum debating why.

What if indeed.
I know there is forum debating Avatar, but hes comment wasn't made it that forum it was made in this thread. I had no desire to derail the threat but I am not going to let an ignorant comment just slide by.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom