Mickey's PhilharMagic coming to DCA this April

brb1006

This show has somewhat odd computer animation. It reminds me of the stupid Simpsons ride where they made the "traditional" animation into computer graphics and it looked weird. I saw it at least once back in the early 2000s (!) and recall it being very cutesy. It did have JTT doing the Lion King song.
To be fair, it was one of Disney's earliest uses of translating various Disney characters into CGI form (Not counting Mickey's cameo in Muppet Vision).

mickEblu

Im actually surprised that it took this long to add something there. the whole backlots has three huge empty box buildings wasting space in a park that needs more to do.
Its even worse after 5pm when the playhouse disney building and Hyperion are done for the day and you have 3/4 of the area closed

I have a feeling it’s been part of the plan for a while and they just thought it made more sense to wait until right before SWL opens. It’s a cheap way to bring what apparently sounds like a decent attraction that can bring some more capacity to DCA. A part of me wonders if this is more to get people out of Disneyland or to give APs stuck inside DCA more to do? It’s not unreasonable to think that DCA might feel more crowded than DL this summer with Bugs Land gone and APs that cant get inside Disneyland.

TP2000

If it doesn’t have the magical theatre proscenium that vanishes and the widening screen... why bother? I hope it does.

That's exactly what I thought too. The original at WDW was dusty and tired the last time I saw it years ago, but as of 2018 the version in Tokyo is pristine and in perfect working order. And the tech effects truly wow adults (I can only imagine how a child's brain tries to figure it out).

If this is just the basic film shown on the old MuppetVision screen, with some wind effects and flashing lights, but WITHOUT the real special effects of the disappearing theater and the widening screen, then this is going to be a huge letdown. Why even bother?!? o_O

Stevek

And it's a another middle finger to the Henson side of the company....sad..
tenor.gif
How? Because Disney shuttered an attraction that nobody visited anymore? For whatever reason, the Muppets don’t seem to resonate with Disney park goers.

SuddenStorm

I dunno if this is a "captain obvious" moment or something people would find interesting, but there's a reason for this. Only the voices that received new lines in the updated show were redone, to maintain cohesiveness; in other words, performances were only redone if the situation called for it.

This isn't entirely true. Even vocals who didn't receive new lines for the show were redone.

The "See it in your mind and you can find" petal segment right after the intro had new vocals put in, despite being the same scene. Yes, I know it's a re recorded instrumental track as well, but the situation really didn't call for it, and the new lyrics seem far less cohesive than what was before.

They also re recorded the dialogue for the intro and finale- the "Dream a fantastic dream" and "see it in your mind" "aahs" and stuff. Once again, these weren't new lines that were received- they're literally singing the exact lyrics of the '92 track, and in the vocals for the finale, I'm pretty sure the timing is exactly the same... but I don't really feel like suffering through the '17 soundtrack to very.

Cmdr_Crimson

We need the 180 degree theater effect... we need the impressive disappearing stage frame... we need the Donald butt animatronic... The theater hasn't hosted a preview in a while.. I'm hoping they've been making renovations to really make this special....
I don't know but, with the way Pixar Pier looks on a budget...I'd be surprised they do something..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom