Mickey's PhilharMagic coming to DCA this April

mickEblu

We need the 180 degree theater effect... we need the impressive disappearing stage frame... we need the Donald butt animatronic... The theater hasn't hosted a preview in a while.. I'm hoping they've been making renovations to really make this special....

What is a disappearing stage frame?

Phroobar

We need the 180 degree theater effect... we need the impressive disappearing stage frame... we need the Donald butt animatronic... The theater hasn't hosted a preview in a while.. I'm hoping they've been making renovations to really make this special....
Muppetvision does have screens on the walls. I don't think they will combine them.

brb1006

That's exactly what I thought too. The original at WDW was dusty and tired the last time I saw it years ago, but as of 2018 the version in Tokyo is pristine and in perfect working order. And the tech effects truly wow adults (I can only imagine how a child's brain tries to figure it out).

If this is just the basic film shown on the old MuppetVision screen, with some wind effects and flashing lights, but WITHOUT the real special effects of the disappearing theater and the widening screen, then this is going to be a huge letdown. Why even bother?!? o_O
I remember first seeing the show in 2004 back when the effects and everything was working correctly. The 3D effect was really convicing for children when it was brand new. When I returned to see the show in 2015, I felt something was off from the 3D effects. At first I thought something was wrong with my glassess.

brb1006

At MK it is setup with a gold proscenium, making it appear like a small screen / theatre. Donald gets sucked away and it disappears and the screen become huge. This is a practical effect.
For easier understanding, here's a photo of the original Walt Disney World version.
philharmagic-patrick.jpg

mk30_07.jpg

o.jpg

At first the screen is only seen where the red curtain is at. But over time once chaos ensues the yellow arches and the rest of the front theater turns into a bigger screen and disappears until Mickey shows up near the end.

Last edited:

mickEblu

For easier understanding, here's a photo of the original Walt Disney World version.
philharmagic-patrick.jpg

mk30_07.jpg

At first the screen is only seen where the red curtain is at. But over time once chaos ensues the yellow arches and the rest of the front theater turns into a bigger screen and disappears until Mickey shows up near the end.

Ya we’re not getting that huh?

Does anyone know when the last time a preview was showing in the Sunset Showcase Theatre? I’m trying to get an idea of how much time they have had to do some work in there. Not that it guarantees that they were doing any work in there.

brb1006

Ya we’re not getting that huh?

Does anyone know when the last time a preview was showing in the Sunset Showcase Theatre? I’m trying to get an idea of how much time they have had to do some work in there. Not that it guarantees that they were doing any work in there.
Zootopia or A Wrinkle In Time

Rich T

I remember watching the "Oz the Great and Powerful" preview in that theater. It was me and about twelve other people. During the river scene, the theater spritzed us with water, resulting in grumbles of annoyance (no, not just from me). When it was over, we all sat in silence for a second, then silently got up and left. It was one of the most dismal experiences I've ever had at a Disney park. :D

Cmdr_Crimson

How? Because Disney shuttered an attraction that nobody visited anymore? For whatever reason, the Muppets don’t seem to resonate with Disney park goers.
The problem is how do you promote them? Kid friendly or Adult Humor?...Jim had a way to incorporate a decent balance on how it would have worked...After his passing and the other performers that have either passed on or had left do you know who is left from the original group? Dave Goelz (Gonzo).

Hopefully they can figure out a better way to represent them down the road..The Sesame Street area at Sea World shows a good a way to go about it even if they are owned by CTW with Henson Muppets it's a good blending on what to do with 50 year old franchises...

Nland316

This isn't entirely true. Even vocals who didn't receive new lines for the show were redone.

The "See it in your mind and you can find" petal segment right after the intro had new vocals put in, despite being the same scene. Yes, I know it's a re recorded instrumental track as well, but the situation really didn't call for it, and the new lyrics seem far less cohesive than what was before.

They also re recorded the dialogue for the intro and finale- the "Dream a fantastic dream" and "see it in your mind" "aahs" and stuff. Once again, these weren't new lines that were received- they're literally singing the exact lyrics of the '92 track, and in the vocals for the finale, I'm pretty sure the timing is exactly the same... but I don't really feel like suffering through the '17 soundtrack to very.
The female singer you’re referring to actually did pass away sometime after the first show was recorded. She is also the voice behind the old princess medley. It’s a shame, as I do think that was wildly superior to the vocals we currently have from Heather Headley.

NobodyElse

For the curious on how this would work..They will probably be adding more curtains to the screen to do said "widescreen" effect shown here in the DLP version...

Honestly it looks strange seeing this inside with the Captain Eo/HISTA look to the theater...

The striking thing about that video is the giant head in the lower right of the frame. I kept waiting for Crow and Tom Servo to come in and make it entertaining.

NobodyElse

philharmagic-patrick.jpg

mk30_07.jpg

o.jpg

Thanks for posting these. As I recall (it's been well over a decade) that room seemed wider that it was deep. (But not as extreme as Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln.) If they're sold on using the old Muppet theater, I'd prefer that they lower capacity, perhaps lose a few rows in the front, and re-create this configuration on a smaller scale.

Unfortunately, as others have stated, we'll likely get that Paris version.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wouldn’t it be great if they surprised us and gave us the full experience?

So I just looked back and the last preview they had there from what I can find was Nutcracker back in October. So its likely sat vacant since November. So if they've been working on it for the last 4-5 months (mind you without anyone knowing about it) I could see them giving a fuller experience.

But won't be surprised if its not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom