Mickey's PhilharMagic coming to DCA this April

TwilightZone

They should have changed it to Cinemagique!
timekeeper is more charming
WktiFo.gif

Ismael Flores

Considering they probably still have all the props, and the theater was built to house the effects, it's an utter shame they don't just bring back Muppet-Vision 3D. Sure, I love Mickey's PhilharMagic, but that has its place in Magic Kingdom, and if they were going to rip out a 3D attraction that was borrowed from another domestic park, why do so just to replace it with another borrowed 3D attraction from a domestic park? Bringing back Muppet-Vision for a limited time would have been a better use for the already existing space.
sadly the muppet show never really saw more than a third of its seats occupied and that was during busy days.
i went in to see it a couple times and was the only one in theater with about a dozen people and meanwhile the rest of the park was packed

Last edited:

VJ

I wonder what impact this will have on MK's version. Hoping for updated video and effects... offset sharing expenses with DCA.
i'm hoping disney will go the more costly route of upgrading the sunset showcase theater with a new philharmagic show and effects (along with MK)
i'm expecting the absolute bare minimum (barely-overlaid theater, existing infrastructure and effects, unchanged MK version of the show)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wasn't there plans on updating the CGI and swapping different animated sequences in the other versions of PhilarMagic? Because I remember this show was one of the first times guests get to see their various Disney characters (Not counting Mickey and Donald) in CGI form. Plus the CGI actually looked impressive for 2003. But slowly started looking showing its age.

Reputable insiders have said this is a plan and may happen this year.

Maybe that's why DCA gets it... the new show will be new and development costs can be shared.

Then again... Disney inertia...

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
i'm hoping disney will go the more costly route of upgrading the sunset showcase theater with a new philharmagic show and effects (along with MK)
i'm expecting the absolute bare minimum (barely-overlaid theater, existing infrastructure and effects, unchanged MK version of the show)

I try to keep my hopes within the realm of realistic expectations yet still plan for inevitable failures. Not quite optimistic but not completely pessimistic either. Realistic hope not that hogwash "fantasy hope" that only happens in a Disney movie. I'm hopeful for more but expect the bare minimum. Anything more is just wishful thinking. OK. Maybe I am a little pessimistic.

Honestly though, Philharmagic isn't the place to dump funds. It's a band-aid, serviceable filler attraction that can and should be updated with new character montages (if not for any other reason but for continued brand awareness) but that's about it. I don't expect much more.

D.Silentu

I often hope that Disney will surprise me in its theme parks. They seem to be living up to that in the oddest ways, the Guardians Tower for instance, and now this. I've never seen this show, so I can't exactly rate this move, but I will join the chorus exalting the fact that there is one less preview theater. As this came out of the blue, what I really want to know is how long they intend to keep this show. We'll find out soon enough how much work has been done on the theater.

Ismael Flores

Im actually surprised that it took this long to add something there. the whole backlots has three huge empty box buildings wasting space in a park that needs more to do.
Its even worse after 5pm when the playhouse disney building and Hyperion are done for the day and you have 3/4 of the area closed

Donaldfan1934

When the DCA makeover was announced in October, 2007, MuppetVision was slated for permanent closure to be replaced first by Philharmagic, then that was changed to a "Flex Theater" attraction they could use to tout the latest movie or pop culture thing. That got cut as they poured more money into Cars Land, but they did that anyway with the long string of temporary repurposes of MuppetVision with previews and 3D offerings over the past four years.

LA Times, October 18th, 2007 - Philharmagic replaces MuppetVision
DCAWDIMap.jpg

It's a minor miracle MuppetVision has lasted as long as it has. And quite frankly, I find the show in desperate need of an update and editing out five minutes and removing that annoying 3D character that flies around. If it's replaced with a Frozen stage show, then so be it. I'd bet two churros that Frozen will pull in thousands more people per day than MuppetVision currently is.
I’m surprised that no one has brought up that this was the original plan all along. When looking at the original post by @TP2000, it’s actually quite amazing how it everything came together in the most backwards way. While it went from Philharmagic to Flex Theater to just staying Muppet-Vision in DCA 2.0’s planning stages, it actually went from Muppet-Vision to Flex Theater to Philharmagic in the years following the redo. All I can say is that after almost 12 long years, we have finally come full circle.

PiratesMansion

It's been consistently cited by imagineers and parks people for eons that California guests just don't watch static shows in the same way other Disney resort guests do because the percentage of repeat visitors is so much higher than the other resorts. It's been the death knell for many a classic attraction, including America Sings and Country Bears (it probably would have killed COP too, if GE hadn't decided to move it to WDW), and every 3D show the resort has ever had. Lincoln and Tiki Room only last because they've been essentially grandfathered in (and Tiki Room at least can still fill the house).

There's a reason that WDW still has most of those attractions running, and it's not just because TDO is too lazy to remove them. They get enough people to justify keeping them around.

RE: PhilharMagic-I enjoy the attraction, it's one more thing for me to do in DCA, and I have no expectation that it'll last any more than five years or so.

Anyone who grew up in the 90s will absolutely eat it up and will have no idea that they're getting a compromised presentation compared to the other parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom