Mickey's New 'Old' Image ...

EPCOT Explorer

Here's a quote from Part 3:

Nobody is suggesting Mickey should be evil or violent; people just want him to regain a personality. The classic Mickey of the 1930s-40s cartoons wasn't rebellious like the early Mickey, but he still had more character than he does in "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse."
That's exactly it. I remember someone made the analogy that it was his age, as a factory...Seeing that Mickey is 81, now, all he can do is sit on the front porch, wave, laugh, and watch everyone else do the fun stuff.

It's time for him to be young again. :D Good stuff, Tirian!

sublimesting

At first I was viewing the epic Mickey wrong I think. I thought that they simply connected the whites of his eyes. But am I correct in that tisn't the case, they actually removed the whites altogether so we basically have a 3-D style of the original mickey.

EPCOT Explorer

mike11082009.jpg
The image was blocked before, so I could not see it...but...:lol::lol::sohappy::sohappy:

That's AWESOME!

tirian

At first I was viewing the epic Mickey wrong I think. I thought that they simply connected the whites of his eyes. But am I correct in that tisn't the case, they actually removed the whites altogether so we basically have a 3-D style of the original mickey.

You are almost 100% correct. This still isn't exactly the "original" Mickey, but it's the Classic Mickey that we all know and love.

View pics here:
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventu...convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images;header;more

_Scar

975515_20091028_790screen013.jpg

Not trying to be a negative nancy but...

Look at those ears. They're not even circle. Hope these screenshots are not the final product because the graphics aren't on par with some other Wii games.

Anyone know if this is excluesively Wii btw?

FigmentJedi

Look at those ears. They're not even circle. Hope these screenshots are not the final product because the graphics aren't on par with some other Wii games.

Wii only. And honestly, the character model looks better in motion.

_Scar

Wii only. And honestly, the character model looks better in motion.

True. But you'd think in 2009 that game developers could tackle circles... not just Mickey but some other games too...

Most of the pics on Gamespot seem like game concept art rather than screencaps.

FigmentJedi

This should also be interesting to hear Bret Iwan doing Mickey's voice for the game..

He'll probably only be doing sounds for it. There's not really any full voiceacting in the game, think more like what Banjo-Kazooie or the Zelda games do. Spector figured Mickey's voice would be a bit hard to take seriously for some players.

EPCOT Explorer

975515_20091028_790screen013.jpg

It's called the character's style. :shrug: they can obviously do curves, look at the brush.

fizzle75

Ok, I promised myself that I wouldn't get involved in this debate because I have so much to say about it...but I can't sit back and hold my tongue any longer. I hope you're happy Ev! :lol::wave:

In my opinion, Disney's quest to make Mickey more "relevant" to a very specific demographic will ultimately alienate a much larger demographic. Evan, surely you realize that you are the very demographic that Disney feels think Mickey is "boring" and "irrelevant", if they plan to drastically change Mickey they run the risk of losing most of the Mickey fans like myself that are in their 30's and older.

And you have to remember that yes, Walt originally created Mickey to be a bit of a "troublemaker" but Walt realized that Mickey was becoming very "one note" and he had to evolve past the simple formula of gag after gag. Mickey ultimately evolved as Walt evolved and it was then and ONLY then that he truly "came alive" and had "true" character. Don't get me wrong, I love "classic" Mickey, especially for his role in animation history...but I dare say that most Disney/ Mickey fans feel much like I do, that the Mickey they most relate to and connect with is the Mickey of The Brave Little Tailor, Nifty Nineties, Lend A Paw, The Band Concert, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Mickey and The Bean Stalk and even Mickey's Christmas Carol. I really don't see the majority of Mickey's fans adapting very well at all to the images of Mickey we have seen in connection with Epic Mickey.

As I've said before, if this is just a reimagined Mickey for the game and maybe a new cartoon, I can sorta kinda deal with it...but if this is part of a grander plan to COMPLETELY reimagine Mickey, consider me furious. It's a sad day indeed when a "good guy" is considered irrelevant and has to be made into a "bad boy" in order to be considered relevant again. :(

And by the way Scar, I agree wholeheartedly with pretty much everything you've said...but as a white male who is married to an amazing African American woman, I think you're making WAY too big of a deal about Song of the South. I would LOVE to see Uncle Remus assume his rightful role as narrator in Splash Mountain...just imagine how awesome an Uncle Remus AA would be! :sohappy:

I agree that Mickey as a character has been idle for far too long and I would LOVE to see some new Mickey adventures whether they be in the form of an 8 minute short, a full length HAND DRAWN feature film or even a video game...but I STRONGLY disagree that Mickey is boring and irrelevant and I will argue with anyone who denies that today's Mickey is a much stronger and well rounded character than his "old" Steamboat Willie era self. The problem, as I see it, is that Mickey has really had no avenue to express his fantastic personality in quite some time, except for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. As a gamer, I am intriqued by the CONCEPT of this game, but I HATE the shocking and edgy character design, especially the grotesque images of Donald, Goofy and the other character concepts we've seen. I would have much rather seen this game go in more of a Kingdom Hearts type visual style.

_Scar

Well Song of the South was banned for "racism", although I truly love the movie and think it was a HUGE step forward in the civil rights movement to cast an African American in a starring role in those times. I think he was the first lead male to be African American, right?

BUT.... if he were in a ride like Splash which hid its past so well it might spark up those feelings of some people to the point of damaging the reuptation of a great attraction. The power of (ignorant) people could be very disastrous. I'd rather them just play it safe. No matter what Uncle Remus is presented through the ride as various characters. Mainly Brer Frog. So, if the fans don't forget SotS'/Splash's past then Uncle Remus will not be forgotten either and he will always have a presence when riding Splash with or without an AA.

fizzle75

Well, like Evan said, if it were marketed right it would work just fine and in my opinion a crucial part of that marketing would be for Disney to wake up and give Song of The South the pristine, fully restored, jam packed with extras Diamond Edition Blu-Ray release that it deserves!!!

While living here in the south, my wife and I have definitely encountered our fair share of racist ignorance, but I think as a whole our country has grown and evolved enough to not implode because Disney released Song of The South on DVD/Blu-Ray or dared to add Uncle Remus to Splash Mountain. :lol:

_Scar

I go to school with a lot of those people who have a lot to say about colored people. I always distance myself from them because their attitude is so negative and hateful it isn't even worth trying to get to know them. Some people are ignorant and will always be ignorant.

However, is there a huge need for Remus in Splash? Most people don't even know Song of the South exists. :D

Can Disney just unban their movie? Was it banned by Disney or the Gov't?

FigmentJedi

As a gamer, I am intriqued by the CONCEPT of this game, but I HATE the shocking and edgy character design, especially the grotesque images of Donald, Goofy and the other character concepts we've seen. I would have much rather seen this game go in more of a Kingdom Hearts type visual style.

But the Donald and Goofy concepts we've seen aren't the real Donald and Goofy. Oswald built them to act as his friends. Just devices to show what isolation has done to Oswald.
And I like the classic cartoon meets steampunk/Tim Burton aesthetic more then the excessive belts and zippers Kingdom Hearts brought in.

imagineer boy

Well Song of the South was banned for "racism", although I truly love the movie and think it was a HUGE step forward in the civil rights movement to cast an African American in a starring role in those times. I think he was the first lead male to be African American, right?

I'm not sure about that, but he was the first one to win an acadamy award for that role.

BUT.... if he were in a ride like Splash which hid its past so well it might spark up those feelings of some people to the point of damaging the reuptation of a great attraction. The power of (ignorant) people could be very disastrous. I'd rather them just play it safe.

I say screw those people. If they don't like it, Disney can tell them they don't have to watch/ride it. We can't let the PC police get their way forever.

It couldn't be banned by the government, that would be a huge violation of the bill of rights. Its been unreleased by Disney because they're too scared to start up controversy.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As I've said before, if this is just a reimagined Mickey for the game and maybe a new cartoon, I can sorta kinda deal with it...but if this is part of a grander plan to COMPLETELY reimagine Mickey, consider me furious. It's a sad day indeed when a "good guy" is considered irrelevant and has to be made into a "bad boy" in order to be considered relevant again. :(

I think you're jumping to an incorrect conclusion. Do you (or anyone else here) seriously think they're looking to make Mickey 'bad'? Maybe we can have Ghetto Mickey with tattoos and multiple piercings and pair him with Clarabelle who now is the size of a cow and sells her milk to all the boys in the yard?:ROFLOL::fork::drevil:

C'mon.

Mickey has NO personality now. He is a bland, soulless corporate symbol/logo ... and that isn't what he was created for.

I'm really sorry that some people have come to expect a Mickey with the personality of white bread as what he's about, just like I'm sorry that some people think WDW is the best its ever been. They are entitled to those opinions. I just vehemently disagree.

Disney isn't doing great on many fronts, but this ain't one of them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I go to school with a lot of those people who have a lot to say about colored people. I always distance myself from them because their attitude is so negative and hateful it isn't even worth trying to get to know them. Some people are ignorant and will always be ignorant.

Just a lesson on what's considered appropriate. But the term 'colored people' is considered offensive by many folks. While you're talking about ignorance, I'm trying to correct some of yours since the mods are very busy and can't see all posts.

However, is there a huge need for Remus in Splash? Most people don't even know Song of the South exists. :D

No. There isn't a need for Remus. But Disney should release the film. There are some ugly racial sterotypes in other films, like Dumbo, and Disney doesn't lock them in a vault.

And no one has 'banned' the film. Disney has just made a huge deal about not releasing it, to the point that now it would be HUGE news if they did.

If they had released it on video in the mid-80s and then when DVDs came out, it wouldn't be an issue.

Now, they've made sure there will be. So, they'll lock it up and make you think it's much worse than it is ... kinda like telling kids that alcohol or s-e-x are evil generally drives them right to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom