Mickey's New 'Old' Image ...

disneyone

Mickey has NO personality now. He is a bland, soulless corporate symbol/logo ... and that isn't what he was created for.
Disney isn't doing great on many fronts, but this ain't one of them.

I totally agree, bring back some emotion to the big guy! Mickey has been a souless Mouse for decades...it's about time! The original Mickey had heart, and displayed emotion, that's the Mouse I love! Not this overly, happy about everything fool who has been parading around as Mickey for way too long!

_Scar

Just a lesson on what's considered appropriate. But the term 'colored people' is considered offensive by many folks. While you're talking about ignorance, I'm trying to correct some of yours since the mods are very busy and can't see all posts.

:rolleyes:
SERIOSLY?

Colored people is offensive? Since you think it's such an offensive phrase, what do you want me to say?

No. There isn't a need for Remus. But Disney should release the film. There are some ugly racial sterotypes in other films, like Dumbo, and Disney doesn't lock them in a vault.

And no one has 'banned' the film. Disney has just made a huge deal about not releasing it, to the point that now it would be HUGE news if they did.

If they had released it on video in the mid-80s and then when DVDs came out, it wouldn't be an issue.

Now, they've made sure there will be. So, they'll lock it up and make you think it's much worse than it is ... kinda like telling kids that alcohol or s-e-x are evil generally drives them right to them.

Never said they shouldn't release the DVD. You can still get it off Ebay if you wanted to or even watch it on Youtube. I doubt it'd be huge news since I've never heard anyone reference Song of the South (the movie specifically) in my entire life.

WDW1974

Original Poster
SERIOSLY?

Colored people is offensive? Since you think it's such an offensive phrase, what do you want me to say?

Seriously. Instead of wasting all your online time here, just do some reading ... I am not saying this to be mean. I'm trying to help you here. You don't want to use the term in the real world.

Never said they shouldn't release the DVD. You can still get it off Ebay if you wanted to or even watch it on Youtube. I doubt it'd be huge news since I've never heard anyone reference Song of the South (the movie specifically) in my entire life.

Um ... so what? Your entire life is what? 16 years? I am sure many folks that are twice your age also have never heard of it. That wasn't my point.

_Scar

Seriously. Instead of wasting all your online time here, just do some reading ... I am not saying this to be mean. I'm trying to help you here. You don't want to use the term in the real world.

This is getting on my nerves. So answer my question please. What would you say?

Um ... so what? Your entire life is what? 16 years? I am sure many folks that are twice your age also have never heard of it. That wasn't my point

What was your point? It'd be HUGE news if they released it since it has gotten such a bad rep? Doubt it. It's probably virtually unknown. No one would know it had ever even existed or had such problems.

TalkingHead

Well Song of the South was banned for "racism", although I truly love the movie and think it was a HUGE step forward in the civil rights movement to cast an African American in a starring role in those times. I think he was the first lead male to be African American, right?

No, SOTS was released in 1946, right? Oscar Micheaux was making silent films starring African-Americans in the 1920s, and Hallelujah! was released in 1929 with an African-American cast. I'm sure there were some movies in the 1930s that starred blacks, too.

TalkingHead

I'm not sure about that, but he was the first one to win an acadamy award for that role.

First African-American to win for the role of Uncle Remus? I don't know how many other actors portrayed that character before Baskett.

But Hattie McDaniel was the first African-American to win an Oscar--Best Supporting-Actress for Gone with the Wind in 1939.

I'm not convinced Song of the South is a racial milestone in Hollywood movies, even though I do like the animated sequences.

_Scar

No, SOTS was released in 1946, right? Oscar Micheaux was making silent films starring African-Americans in the 1920s, and Hallelujah! was released in 1929 with an African-American cast. I'm sure there were some movies in the 1930s that starred blacks, too.

Maybe I read something false. :shrug:

Disney did lobby him to win an Academy Award though and he did :xmas:

TalkingHead

SERIOSLY?

Scar, '74 is just trying to bring you up to speed with how the modern world thinks and talks. "Colored people" is a term that for many people brings up memories of the segregated South. You might've heard of it? Blacks had to ride in the back of the bus, couldn't use the white people's drinking fountains, etc. "African-American" and "Black" are more modern terms. Or "minorities" if you're talking about people of color (which isn't the same as saying "colored people"). :wave:

The Mak

I really don't know what Song of the South has to do with Mickey's portrayal in an upcoming videogame. That line of discussion has 'strawman' written all over it. It's obfuscating the topic.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
SERIOSLY?

Listen up kiddo, Colored people is a terribly offensive term in todays world. I strongly urge against you using it in public, unless you like the idea of having a fist planted into your face.

Second, even though this has become way off topic, I feel the need to correct you on your assumption the SoS would not be huge news if re-released. There would be tons of press about it, some good, most bad. It does not matter that the movie is not considered to be racist by many of those who have seen it. It has a rep of being very racist, thats all that matters. I highly doubt Disney would ever release it again in the US.

As for epic mickey. I will be buying a Wii just for this game. I already have the PS3, and never really wanted a Wii. Having this potentially great version of Mickey Mouse has certainly changed that. I can't wait to play this game, and I hope Disney takes advantage of this and brings us some new Mickey Cartoons, ones with a more adult slant.

EPCOT Explorer

Well Song of the South was banned for "racism", although I truly love the movie and think it was a HUGE step forward in the civil rights movement to cast an African American in a starring role in those times. I think he was the first lead male to be African American, right?

BUT.... if he were in a ride like Splash which hid its past so well it might spark up those feelings of some people to the point of damaging the reuptation of a great attraction. The power of (ignorant) people could be very disastrous. I'd rather them just play it safe. No matter what Uncle Remus is presented through the ride as various characters. Mainly Brer Frog. So, if the fans don't forget SotS'/Splash's past then Uncle Remus will not be forgotten either and he will always have a presence when riding Splash with or without an AA.
See below....
Well, like Evan said, if it were marketed right it would work just fine and in my opinion a crucial part of that marketing would be for Disney to wake up and give Song of The South the pristine, fully restored, jam packed with extras Diamond Edition Blu-Ray release that it deserves!!!

While living here in the south, my wife and I have definitely encountered our fair share of racist ignorance, but I think as a whole our country has grown and evolved enough to not implode because Disney released Song of The South on DVD/Blu-Ray or dared to add Uncle Remus to Splash Mountain. :lol:
Exactly. It's part of History...and this movie actually addresses the positive side of things. It's not antebellum. They are free. Never is there a racial comment or slur. The implication of different classes is there, but where is it not? Again...PC Police. A tiny, vocal minority that should have no effect on the real population seeing that the rest of us don't care. As for SplM? It could work...It's all synergy with SotS and story telling. It'd work.

Now then....Can we seriously drop the Racism/SotS discussion? It's bound to get political....and while I enjoy such things, especially the psychological side of this, I really don't want to get the thread locked. Epic Mickey is a viable topic.

Ok, I promised myself that I wouldn't get involved in this debate because I have so much to say about it...but I can't sit back and hold my tongue any longer. I hope you're happy Ev! :lol::wave:

In my opinion, Disney's quest to make Mickey more "relevant" to a very specific demographic will ultimately alienate a much larger demographic. Evan, surely you realize that you are the very demographic that Disney feels think Mickey is "boring" and "irrelevant", if they plan to drastically change Mickey they run the risk of losing most of the Mickey fans like myself that are in their 30's and older.

And you have to remember that yes, Walt originally created Mickey to be a bit of a "troublemaker" but Walt realized that Mickey was becoming very "one note" and he had to evolve past the simple formula of gag after gag. Mickey ultimately evolved as Walt evolved and it was then and ONLY then that he truly "came alive" and had "true" character. Don't get me wrong, I love "classic" Mickey, especially for his role in animation history...but I dare say that most Disney/ Mickey fans feel much like I do, that the Mickey they most relate to and connect with is the Mickey of The Brave Little Tailor, Nifty Nineties, Lend A Paw, The Band Concert, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Mickey and The Bean Stalk and even Mickey's Christmas Carol. I really don't see the majority of Mickey's fans adapting very well at all to the images of Mickey we have seen in connection with Epic Mickey.

As I've said before, if this is just a reimagined Mickey for the game and maybe a new cartoon, I can sorta kinda deal with it...but if this is part of a grander plan to COMPLETELY reimagine Mickey, consider me furious. It's a sad day indeed when a "good guy" is considered irrelevant and has to be made into a "bad boy" in order to be considered relevant again. :(

And by the way Scar, I agree wholeheartedly with pretty much everything you've said...but as a white male who is married to an amazing African American woman, I think you're making WAY too big of a deal about Song of the South. I would LOVE to see Uncle Remus assume his rightful role as narrator in Splash Mountain...just imagine how awesome an Uncle Remus AA would be! :sohappy:

I agree that Mickey as a character has been idle for far too long and I would LOVE to see some new Mickey adventures whether they be in the form of an 8 minute short, a full length HAND DRAWN feature film or even a video game...but I STRONGLY disagree that Mickey is boring and irrelevant and I will argue with anyone who denies that today's Mickey is a much stronger and well rounded character than his "old" Steamboat Willie era self. The problem, as I see it, is that Mickey has really had no avenue to express his fantastic personality in quite some time, except for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. As a gamer, I am intriqued by the CONCEPT of this game, but I HATE the shocking and edgy character design, especially the grotesque images of Donald, Goofy and the other character concepts we've seen. I would have much rather seen this game go in more of a Kingdom Hearts type visual style.

First off...good argument. I see your point. Don't agree with it, but it's logical...

Here's where we differ...

" their quest to make Mickey more "relevant" to a very specific demographic will ultimately alienate a much larger demographic."...

Doubt it. The Mickey Mouse you see in the Partners Statue will ALWAYS be the face of Mickey Mouse. That will never, can never, and will not change. He is cemented there by his history, his fan-ship, and by the corporate image that he is.

What will EPIC Mickey be? A personality of that. A side to him. It'll be another side of Mickey, another "role" for him in a new story. Something Mickey Mouse has not had in a WHILE. Runaway Brain, The Three Mousketeers are all great, and perfect examples of Disney trying to take something and FURTHER it. Consider this like Plussing a ride at WDW. They add another layer to THE STORY. Something essential in ANY Disney Production. A STORY. This is just going to be a new, rich, immersive tale, theme and land for THIS side of Mickey. Not all of him.

You mention that Walt changed him...Well...here he is changing AGAIN. You see? Mickey's been doing the same "gag after gag" again. Matt...All the Mouse does these days is stand on parade floats, laugh, tell you to celebrate, and talk to Minnie. I love that. I honestly do. That's DISNEY at the very core. However...also therein DISNEY, is dynamic story telling, which is what is going to be done in EPIC Mickey. Will that change the old "Parteners" Mick? Heck no! It'll just add to that persona, while still remaining MICKEY MOUSE. The MICKEY MOUSE that EVERYONE loves...and who knows?! This might get more people to love him! How can you turn that down?

Completely change him and alienate? Nope. As I said, it can't happen....He is forever holding Walt's hand. ;) Again, this just adds to it.

Bad boy? Mickey is never bad! He won't be in this game. I don't see where people are getting that? He just looks different.

Why and I accepting of this? It's a new vein, a new story, a new adventure for a beloved hero. I'm excited that he's doing something new.

But the Donald and Goofy concepts we've seen aren't the real Donald and Goofy. Oswald built them to act as his friends. Just devices to show what isolation has done to Oswald.
And I like the classic cartoon meets steampunk/Tim Burton aesthetic more then the excessive belts and zippers Kingdom Hearts brought in.
Tahu...You should know this, be thinking this....Doesn't this look a liiiiitle bit like the Inika Artwork for Bionicle in 2006? :D I'm no longer active in the Bionicle community, but there's a ton of parallels here.

As for epic mickey. I will be buying a Wii just for this game. I already have the PS3, and never really wanted a Wii. Having this potentially great version of Mickey Mouse has certainly changed that. I can't wait to play this game, and I hope Disney takes advantage of this and brings us some new Mickey Cartoons, ones with a more adult slant.
EXACTLY....and while he does that, as I mentioned, he won't be changed from the "Partners" Mickey. He's just expanding.

FigmentJedi

Tahu...You should know this, be thinking this....Doesn't this look a liiiiitle bit like the Inika Artwork for Bionicle in 2006? :D I'm no longer active in the Bionicle community, but there's a ton of parallels here.

Not really seeing it. Unless you mean the more emphasized organic/mechanical mix that year of Bionicle began in the sets?

EPCOT Explorer

Not really seeing it. Unless you mean the more emphasized organic/mechanical mix that year of Bionicle began in the sets?
Yes, exactly. I should have been more clear....

It's more apparent in the art/cominc than the sets. Let me grab some scans from BZP. :D

EDIT:
150px-Comic_Toa_Inika_Emerging_From_Toa_Cannisters.jpg

kinda looks like....

14536_173731357170_683302170_2747643_792467_n.jpg

:D

Seeing that Bionicle got a little old, this looks like a nice alternative. :lol:

FigmentJedi

Yes, exactly. I should have been more clear....

It's more apparent in the art/cominc than the sets. Let me grab some scans from BZP. :D

EDIT:
150px-Comic_Toa_Inika_Emerging_From_Toa_Cannisters.jpg

kinda looks like....

14536_173731357170_683302170_2747643_792467_n.jpg

:D

Seeing that Bionicle got a little old, this looks like a nice alternative. :lol:
Ah the Sayger artwork, I see.

Bionicle's still been pretty good. Story definitely is getting more interesting as we delve into Mata Nui's origins and why the Great Beings built him in the first place.

EPCOT Explorer

Ah the Sayger artwork, I see.

Bionicle's still been pretty good. Story definitely is getting more interesting as we delve into Mata Nui's origins and why the Great Beings built him in the first place.
Loved Sayger.

I'm a little torn on it...It looks and sounds interesting, but I don't know...Giving Mata Nui all this storyline kinda takes away from that omnipotent and distanced persona he had. Same with Makuta. I kinda lost interest in 2007 when they began doing the same things with the Toa Inika going on another transformation quest in The Pit. Plus, the sets got very expensive, and kinda redundant.

I think we are the only two people on here that know about this. :lookaroun:lol:

FigmentJedi

Loved Sayger.

I'm a little torn on it...It looks and sounds interesting, but I don't know...Giving Mata Nui all this storyline kinda takes away from that omnipotent and distanced persona he had. Same with Makuta. I kinda lost interest in 2007 when they began doing the same things with the Toa Inika going on another transformation quest in The Pit. Plus, the sets got very expensive, and kinda redundant.
Well Makuta's now the one and only these days. And it was a great ending in 2008 for him to actually win and control Mata Nui's gigantic robot body (containing the whole Matoran universe. The Island of Mata Nui was a camomask of sorts when he was on certain planets)

Minnie17

Bad idea in my opinion.... Families aren't going to take to this easily, and families bring the visitors! Icons shouldn't be messed with!!!

EPCOT Explorer

Well Makuta's now the one and only these days. And it was a great ending in 2008 for him to actually win and control Mata Nui's gigantic robot body (containing the whole Matoran universe. The Island of Mata Nui was a camomask of sorts when he was on certain planets)
That's another thing....WHY!?! Mata Nui Isnalnd was awesome.:(

It does make the Bohrok Saga very poignant, though..
Bad idea in my opinion.... Families aren't going to take to this easily, and families bring the visitors! Icons shouldn't be messed with!!!
Families will still have "Partners" Mickey. A new demographic, teens, will get Epic Mickey.

They won't mix and match.

I really don't see why some people are thinking that Mick will be changed (totally) just by one video game. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom