Mickey's New 'Old' Image ...

SpectroPhoenix

For people who are worried about the original concept art with things like the destroyed Spaceship Earth and the robotic snow white dwarfs, those were just concept art; the actual game won't be too extreme. This is Warren's response to questions about the art:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176700

And I really don't think we have too much to worry in terms of Mickey becoming "evil" or losing any of his charm that he's grown to in the latter part of his life. For one, this idea was Disney's idea and Warren is just embracing. Warren himself is also a lot like us, a complete Disney junkie. He actually considered working for Disney before jumping into video games. He keeps pointing out that he wants us to want to be Mickey instead of just wearing his products. What Disney enthusiast wouldn't encourage such a mentality? No where in the game's description does it say that he's going to be bad all of a sudden. Basically as Mickey you're trying to gain Oswald's trust, restore peace to the Wasteland, and potentially befriend the inhabitants in the process. Sure, you have a choice to be selfish and to not help everyone, but the game makes it clear that the more selfish of a Mickey you are, the harder your game will be for you. In a way it encourages the whole karma system that our society embraces, which doesn't sound like the game is condoning bad behavior or saying that Mickey is bad either.

Sorry for the rambling, just very excited for the game and the direction it's taking Mickey ^_^

EPCOT Explorer

For people who are worried about the original concept art with things like the destroyed Spaceship Earth and the robotic snow white dwarfs, those were just concept art; the actual game won't be too extreme. This is Warren's response to questions about the art:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176700

And I really don't think we have too much to worry in terms of Mickey becoming "evil" or losing any of his charm that he's grown to in the latter part of his life. For one, this idea was Disney's idea and Warren is just embracing. Warren himself is also a lot like us, a complete Disney junkie. He actually considered working for Disney before jumping into video games. He keeps pointing out that he wants us to want to be Mickey instead of just wearing his products. What Disney enthusiast wouldn't encourage such a mentality? No where in the game's description does it say that he's going to be bad all of a sudden. Basically as Mickey you're trying to gain Oswald's trust, restore peace to the Wasteland, and potentially befriend the inhabitants in the process. Sure, you have a choice to be selfish and to not help everyone, but the game makes it clear that the more selfish of a Mickey you are, the harder your game will be for you. In a way it encourages the whole karma system that our society embraces, which doesn't sound like the game is condoning bad behavior or saying that Mickey is bad either.

Sorry for the rambling, just very excited for the game and the direction it's taking Mickey ^_^
Awwwwww....Busted up SSE looked pretty menacing.

And thanks for posting that....Fantastic description of what this WON'T be. :D Calm down, people. :lol:

PhantomX

I can't understand the backlash to this game. The Mickey of the past 20 years has been a neutered, bland corporate symbol and the complete opposite of what Walt Disney wanted. Mickey Mouse used to be adventerous, dynamic charecter. Often times his cartoons would involve spooky or disturbing imagery. The last good Mickey Mouse cartoon was "Mickey's Christmas Carol" which I believe was the last thing John Lasseter worked on at Disney. Runaway Brain was decent too but it was basically a hip remake of "The Mad Scientist".

In "The Mad Scientist" we see an animal get torn apart and later pluto dies and thats not even the worst one. In fact, Walt actually had planned a short where Mickey commits suicide and goes to a hell like place with scary creatures and somehow has to find his way back to life (I think this actually ended up becoming part of the mickey comic strip).

A few people will complain sure, there are people that will complain about everything even when it goes against there own interest (one look at the news will show you that).

EPCOT Explorer

I can't understand the backlash to this game. The Mickey of the past 20 years has been a neutered, bland corporate symbol and the complete opposite of what Walt Disney wanted. Mickey Mouse used to be adventerous, dynamic charecter. Often times his cartoons would involve spooky or disturbing imagery. The last good Mickey Mouse cartoon was "Mickey's Christmas Carol" which I believe was the last thing John Lasseter worked on at Disney. Runaway Brain was decent too but it was basically a hip remake of "The Mad Scientist".

In "The Mad Scientist" we see an animal get torn apart and later pluto dies and thats not even the worst one. In fact, Walt actually had planned a short where Mickey commits suicide and goes to a hell like place with scary creatures and somehow has to find his way back to life (I think this actually ended up becoming part of the mickey comic strip).

A few people will complain sure, there are people that will complain about everything even when it goes against there own interest (one look at the news will show you that).

It did, and I have to say I agree in full. :)

EPCOT Explorer

This might have been mentioned, already, but Gameinformers COVER STORY for this month is Epic Mickey. I think that's pretty big.

Tweeted about it...

http://twitpic.com/pv8qf

43448055.jpg

Also pretty big...One of Warren's "quoteables" says that "I want to make Mickey a HERO...again". I think that says a TON. Also...Some pretty cool pics of the characters and a TON of info, and I only got to scan the article right before class.

Cool stuff, I'll have to really sink my teeth into it later. :D

happykid25

I received this months GameInformer in the mail yesterday and am just looking through it now. I haven't read the whole article on Epic Mickey yet, but the artwork and screenshots included are great.

Included is a sketch drawn by Walt Disney of Oswald and Mickey together. There is also a art progression of a "gear" level. Also, lots of great quotes from Warren Spector.

I'm really looking forward to this and am thrilled about stretching Mickey beyond Corporate Image and MMCH. This is coming from a mom of an almost 4 year old who loves MMCH. I think it would be great if they stretched this "new/old mickey franchise" to other medias (movies, television, books/comics, etc.), however I think this will be tricky. I say this because, the general public aren't willing to invest the time to see if something is appropriate for their toddlers/preschoolers and will assume if its Mickey, it will be for them. Then those same people will cause an uproar.

A great way to introduce an edgier Mickey with the edgier type surroundings (like in the game) in another media, could be to create an animated short as in the old days to be shown in conjuction with a film marketed toward the desired demographic - like a Tron? (or the future "maybe" Pirates 4.) Pixar does it all the time with their shorts, and they are well loved, no reason, Disney couldn't go back to producing shorts to be shown before the main attraction. Would harken back to the way it was.

EPCOT Explorer

I received this months GameInformer in the mail yesterday and am just looking through it now. I haven't read the whole article on Epic Mickey yet, but the artwork and screenshots included are great.

Included is a sketch drawn by Walt Disney of Oswald and Mickey together.
There is also a art progression of a "gear" level. Also, lots of great quotes from Warren Spector.

I'm really looking forward to this and am thrilled about stretching Mickey beyond Corporate Image and MMCH. This is coming from a mom of an almost 4 year old who loves MMCH. I think it would be great if they stretched this "new/old mickey franchise" to other medias (movies, television, books/comics, etc.), however I think this will be tricky. I say this because, the general public aren't willing to invest the time to see if something is appropriate for their toddlers/preschoolers and will assume if its Mickey, it will be for them. Then those same people will cause an uproar.

A great way to introduce an edgier Mickey with the edgier type surroundings (like in the game) in another media, could be to create an animated short as in the old days to be shown in conjuction with a film marketed toward the desired demographic - like a Tron? (or the future "maybe" Pirates 4.) Pixar does it all the time with their shorts, and they are well loved, no reason, Disney couldn't go back to producing shorts to be shown before the main attraction. Would harken back to the way it was.
LOVED THAT!

And I agree with pretty much everything you said. :D A short would be awesome...I really hope they expand upon this.

Also...LOVED the part of the article that explained how Mickey isn't bad, it's just based off the style of gameplay and choices you make in the game that determines scrapper or hero. :D

EPCOT Explorer

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N1ZjRu-AGSk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N1ZjRu-AGSk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
[/youtube]
If you watch this, and still have any doubt about this game, please check your your brain wave function. You might not be thinking. :) :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AvNcQhdBVGM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AvNcQhdBVGM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
[/youtube]

This one, too. WOW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom