Mickey's New 'Old' Image ...

_Scar

You keep hounding it with ignorant (not a insult, a discription! :) ) reasons why a racial slur is perfectly fine. Being someone who respects and has dedicated myself to History, I will not let you do that.

If you have never heard the term, I implore you to educate yourself. Read, watch, listen. This is APPARENT in History. What grade are you in?

And how can you not think of the past, least ignore it? That's just as bad as saying the slur, IMHO. Learn from the past, learn from it. Built a better tomorrow. :)

Sorry to get all EPCOT-preachy on you, but it's the truth.:wave:

So, Tink was changed radically, and no one complained.:shrug: It's a new side to her persona. A new story. JUST LIKE EPIC MICKEY. :D

I know my history too... :rolleyes:

But in today's society I hear it, too. And I've never heard anyone say "OH DEAR GOD! YOU SAID COLORED?!" It's generally not a big deal. Like I said, I'll be more cautious around here since apparently it offends everyone :)rolleyes:). You know I didn't mean to offend anyone either, so why must you pry? Cmon man...

BTW, I know a lot of people complained about Tink. This isn't the Tink they grew up to love.

EPCOT Explorer

I know my history too... :rolleyes:

But in today's society I hear it, too. And I've never heard anyone say "OH DEAR GOD! YOU SAID COLORED?!" It's generally not a big deal. Like I said, I'll be more cautious around here since apparently it offends everyone :)rolleyes:). You know I didn't mean to offend anyone either, so why must you pry? Cmon man...

BTW, I know a lot of people complained about Tink. This isn't the Tink they grew up to love.
I can't argue this anymore with you. You are proliferating something that is just not true and that is very immature. There's a point in which a argument you can begin to work around that, but you are full steam ahead, here. :wave:

Wasn't prying.

People are complaining now about Mickey. Not changing anything, within the company, it's a done deal, and it won't change Mickey's "default" persona.

_Scar

I can't argue this anymore with you. You are proliferating something that is just not true and that is very immature. There's a point in which a argument you can begin to work around that, but you are full steam ahead, here. :wave:

Wasn't prying.

You asked me to drop the subject and you keep bringing it up... the whole argument is subjective and in my experience I've never heard it disputed. I can't really say anymore than I already have. For the third time, I meant no harm if anyone was offended. You are blowing this way out of proportion.

People are complaining now about Mickey. Not changing anything, within the company, it's a done deal, and it won't change Mickey's "default" persona.

Ok.... :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

You asked me to drop the subject and you keep bringing it up... the whole argument is subjective and in my experience I've never heard it disputed. I can't really say anymore than I already have. For the third time, I meant no harm if anyone was offended. You are blowing this way out of proportion.

Ok.... :shrug:
I don't think harm was ever inflicted. Blowing this way out of proportion? No, just refuting your statements, and having a debate/discussion. I plan on making a living out of this, in a sense. ;) You'll have to forgive me.

Subjective walks a fine line when it's you versus a population that, as you can see, vehemently tkinks differently. There is a discrepancy there.

So....Mickey? :lol:

OK...meaning you see my point??!!?!?

In other news: SETTING! :D
epic-mickey-looking-more-real-more-amazing1254975135.jpg

Spaceship Earth is destroyed! Too creepy, even enough for me.:lookaroun

So....Mickey? :lol:

OK...meaning you see my point??!!?!?

In other news: SETTING! :D
epic-mickey-looking-more-real-more-amazing1254975135.jpg

Spaceship Earth is destroyed! Too creepy, even enough for me.:lookaroun

Everytime i see this concept art i keep on falling in love with the possibilities of this game. I would just want to buy that art and make it a poster, I love it so much.

EPCOT Explorer

Everytime i see this concept art i keep on falling in love with the possibilities of this game. I would just want to buy that art and make it a poster, I love it so much.
As do I. :D

Dystopian Disney is so counter what they usually do....I think that's why it is so intriguing. And it'll be very nice with the finale, and all of it going back to normal.:lol:

Hrudey3032

I seriously can't believe how derailed this thread has become I go to read 5-6 pages about a new concept idea on Mickey and all I am reading is about racial arguments.Please take it to PM if you wish to continue this discussion and leave the rest of this thread to Epic Mickey and why/why not it will/won't work if not I ask the mods to lock this assainine discussion.

FigmentJedi

Scar, do yourself a favor and look up some of the old Floyd Gottfredson comics. That's the sort of Mickey Spector is trying to get at with the Neutral and Hero ones and what Disney really oughta make their goal.

It's a shame Mickey hasn't really gotten a Don Rosa until just now with Warren Spector. Rosa's works and other authors like him have done wonders for the Disney Ducks, building on the old Carl Barks stories.

_Scar

I seriously can't believe how derailed this thread has become I go to read 5-6 pages about a new concept idea on Mickey and all I am reading is about racial arguments.Please take it to PM if you wish to continue this discussion and leave the rest of this thread to Epic Mickey and why/why not it will/won't work if not I ask the mods to lock this assainine discussion.

:rolleyes: Okay? Thanks for the warning....

Scar, do yourself a favor and look up some of the old Floyd Gottfredson comics. That's the sort of Mickey Spector is trying to get at with the Neutral and Hero ones and what Disney really oughta make their goal.

It's a shame Mickey hasn't really gotten a Don Rosa until just now with Warren Spector. Rosa's works and other authors like him have done wonders for the Disney Ducks, building on the old Carl Barks stories.

Who said I didn't know how hero Mickey acted like? :shrug:

Hrudey3032

Well some people have tried warning you over your silly comments but you just continue to antagonize.We all can see your immaturity as proven by the arguments you have made over people of all races just because you don't find your words offensive. Well when you get into the real world and make those comments you will find many people find it offensive. Grow up kid and get out of your glass house.

EPCOT Explorer

Who said I didn't know how hero Mickey acted like? :shrug:
It's most likely going to be the same way Epic Mick acts.....So...why would you be against that?

Well some people have tried warning you over your silly comments but you just continue to antagonize.We all can see your immaturity as proven by the arguments you have made over people of all races just because you don't find your words offensive. Well when you get into the real world and make those comments you will find many people find it offensive. Grow up kid and get out of your glass house.
:)

_Scar

Actually I've been told to drop it once... and then that person brought it up again. And I've already said I've understood where you guys were coming from, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That wasn't my intention- at all. All I said was in my experience, I've heard the phrase said before with nothing brought up to suggest racism. That should've explained why I used the word without knowing it would be considered offensive. You guys should know that wasn't my intentions at all.

You should really read my posts before attacking me like that "kid". And EE, whatsup? I've already said that wasn't my intentiona and you keep on prying...

Batphobic

Here's another article on Epic Mickey that actually appeared on the front page of the NY Times yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/business/media/05mickey.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=mickey mouse&st=cse

In this article it says "Now, however, concerned that Mickey has become more of a corporate symbol than a beloved character..."

Nothing wrong with a corporate symbol. In fact, many companies would love to have such a solid, stable, well-recognized corporate symbol.

I personally think it's dangerous to mess with that stable symbol at this point. Disney's target market are not folks reminiscing about the early 1900s.

Batphobic

In this article it says "Now, however, concerned that Mickey has become more of a corporate symbol than a beloved character..."

Nothing wrong with a corporate symbol. In fact, many companies would love to have such a solid, stable, well-recognized corporate symbol.

I personally think it's dangerous to mess with that stable symbol at this point. Disney's target market are not folks reminiscing about the early 1900s.

Sorry - one more point on this - Tell my 3 yr old daughter that Mickey isn't a beloved character. :) He's still got some serious charm with the kids.

Bairstow

Controversial or not... ok, it IS controversial, you can't really have a discussion about the intentions behind Mickey Mouse's character design without examing the possible racial implications of the original design.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey's_Mellerdrammer
You can argue that over time, whatever racial overtones Mickey's design originally had have been lost or forgotten, but the motivations for Disney re-designing the character over the years have been in part to gently maneuver the character away from its earlier connotations.
If Warren Specter is intentionally moving the design back to its origins, and Disney Corporate seems to be encouraging or following this decision, it's instructive to see what the possible ramifications of this are, even if that necessitates opening a few cans of worms.

Personally, I think that Mickey Mouse, even in it's earliest form, has become too universally-recognized to conjure feelings of ill-will or racial bias, but if the redesign gets the kind of attention the New York Times showed it last week, you never know what can happen on a slow news day.

EPCOT Explorer

Actually I've been told to drop it once... and then that person brought it up again. And I've already said I've understood where you guys were coming from, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That wasn't my intention- at all. All I said was in my experience, I've heard the phrase said before with nothing brought up to suggest racism. That should've explained why I used the word without knowing it would be considered offensive. You guys should know that wasn't my intentions at all.

You should really read my posts before attacking me like that "kid". And EE, whatsup? I've already said that wasn't my intentiona and you keep on prying...
Prying? Where am I prying? Do yourself a favor if you can't be level headed about his discussion: stop being dramatic, trying to play the victim, and ignore us.:wave:

I see where you would think that, but I think that MMouse is CEMENTED in his corporate "partners/MSUSA" stance. There he is, and there he shall stay...the connotation of the beloved Mickey can NEVER change.

As said....This is just expanding his personality and his demographic at the same time.:wave:

_Scar

Prying? Where am I prying? Do yourself a favor if you can't be level headed about his discussion: stop being dramatic, trying to play the victim, and ignore us.:wave:

You tell me to drop the subject and you keep bringing it up. I can't just ignore your attacks on my character. I love how when I'm involved in a dispute on this forum I must be in the wron for arguing, but when you do it it's completely fine and I'm the dramatic one. :rolleyes: Please knock it off and get over yourself EE. You're taking this way too far and making snobby remarks is just low.

Please stop.

This thread isn't even going anywhere and has nothing to do with WDW.

EPCOT Explorer

You tell me to drop the subject and you keep bringing it up. I can't just ignore your attacks on my character. I love how when I'm involved in a dispute on this forum I must be in the wron for arguing, but when you do it it's completely fine and I'm the dramatic one. :rolleyes: Please knock it off and get over yourself EE. You're taking this way too far and making snobby remarks is just low.

Please stop.

This thread isn't even going anywhere and has nothing to do with WDW.
Victimizing again....:wave:

I'm over myself.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom