Mickey's New 'Old' Image ...

_Scar

Listen up kiddo, Colored people is a terribly offensive term in todays world. I strongly urge against you using it in public, unless you like the idea of having a fist planted into your face.

Scar, '74 is just trying to bring you up to speed with how the modern world thinks and talks. "Colored people" is a term that for many people brings up memories of the segregated South. You might've heard of it? Blacks had to ride in the back of the bus, couldn't use the white people's drinking fountains, etc. "African-American" and "Black" are more modern terms. Or "minorities" if you're talking about people of color (which isn't the same as saying "colored people"). :wave:

Hey bud, this term is the "PC" term you are supposed to use.

I've heard MANY people of all types of skin color throughout my day use the term "colored people" when talking about any subject on that matter. I've never heard anyone disagree with that word.

Perhaps if you think of the term as racist because it talks about people of different minorities then maybe you're in the wrong. Ever thought about that?

There's no possible way colored people is offensive and terms like "black" and "minority" aren't. There's no way.

Quit trying to make me sound like I'm some racist for crying out loud. It's really crossing the line with attacking my character and what I believe in and it's not something I can ignore.

EPCOT Explorer

I've heard MANY people of all types of skin color throughout my day use the term "colored people" when talking about any subject on that matter. I've never heard anyone disagree with that word.

Perhaps if you think of the term as racist because it talks about people of different minorities then maybe you're in the wrong. Ever thought about that?

There's no possible way colored people is offensive and terms like "black" and "minority" aren't. There's no way.

Quit trying to make me sound like I'm some racist for crying out loud. It's really crossing the line with attacking my character and what I believe in and it's not something I can ignore.
And interestingly enough, it is. Welcome to the wonderful world of connotations and semantics. We bid you good day. :)

:lookaroun

_Scar

And interestingly enough, it is. Welcome to the wonderful world of connotations and semantics. We bid you good day. :)

:lookaroun

I've heard every type of person use this word and all of a sudden it's considered offensive and I'm offending people using it? It's the most vague term and now it's offensive? :rolleyes:

Sorta how ignornat people think SotS is racist, people think me using that term is racist. :mad:

EPCOT Explorer

I've heard every type of person use this word and all of a sudden it's considered offensive and I'm offending people using it? It's the most vague term and now it's offensive? :rolleyes:

Sorta how ignornat people think SotS is racist, people think me using that term is racist. :mad:
It just is, OK? It's the connotation of the old, and prejudiced way of reffering to someone who is black/African American/what have you.

Accept it, move on.:shrug::lol:

_Scar

It just is, OK? It's the connotation of the old, and prejudiced way of reffering to someone who is black/African American/what have you.

Accept it, move on.:shrug::lol:

I'll move on, but I've NEVER heard anyone think that term is somehow offending. Compared to what I hear some people say, it's a pretty vague and nondiscriminative term. I'd hate for anyone to compare me to some pigs out there just because I used that phrase.

Let's just get back to Mickey... where were we?

EPCOT Explorer

I'll move on, but I've NEVER heard anyone think that term is somehow offending. Compared to what I hear some people say, it's a pretty vague and nondiscriminative term. I'd hate for anyone to compare me to some pigs out there just because I used that phrase.

Let's just get back to Mickey... where were we?
It sounds like it is...but Historically, it's not.:wave:

Re:Mickey- You hate him, I like him.:D

hack2112

But they won't be REALLY altering him...this is just a new/old side of him...:shrug:

Classic Mickey ain't going anywhere.:lol:
Exactly. Which just means that...

You know what, I'm just going to go back to making pointless, funny comments while playing Fable 2. I'm getting confuzzled.

EPCOT Explorer

Exactly. Which just means that...

You know what, I'm just going to go back to making pointless, funny comments while playing Fable 2. I'm getting confuzzled.
Good strategy.

I was doing some anthropology, but now I get to go home!:lol:

I'll see you all a little later...-Master Gracey.:D

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Listen, I don't know you, I'm not attacking your character. I am seriously trying to help you out. I am not offended by the term colored people. Any person of color will be, and will be apt to punch you directly in the mouth if you use the term colored people in front of them. Do yourself a favor and drop this term from your vocab.

_Scar

Listen, I don't know you, I'm not attacking your character. I am seriously trying to help you out. I am not offended by the term colored people. Any person of color will be, and will be apt to punch you directly in the mouth if you use the term colored people in front of them. Do yourself a favor and drop this term from your vocab.

I find it troubling you wouldn't be offended, but you say others are... doesn't make sense. If you feel so strongly on this matter why don't you care? I don't know what society you live in, but where I live people aren't so quick to judge you're trying to offend some people or bring up past civil disputes. Sometimes it's best not to assume. Fine, now I'll be cautious about using the phrase but I think you're overreating.:shrug:

Let's try and get back to Epic Mickey though-

Since when was Tinkerbell a forgotten character? Is it true she's trying to kill Wendy? lol

Tink's character change is sorta similar to Mickey

FigmentJedi

LOL NO.
The Tinkerbell franchise is just a total expansion of the character having just about nothing to do with her roots in the Barrie stories.
Mickey's is all about bringing back more of the mischievous adventurer side of Mickey that hasn't been that prominent in the US in recent years and yet has been going fairly strong in the European comics, like the detective stories and Wizards of Mickey series (which we're just getting now over here, maybe as a small part of Mickey's overhaul, who knows?).

_Scar

.... how isn't it similar?

Tink was created as a total trouble maker, and now she's being portrayed as a sweet and caring fairy....

FigmentJedi

Tink was created as a total trouble maker, and now she's being portrayed as a sweet and caring fairy....

Don't you know Barrie's fairies (Ha, rhyme) are capable of only holding one emotion at a time? Like murderous jealousy? This is before Wendy came around so of course she's a lot nicer in that fairies franchise. Plus she has apparently started showing her more fiesty side starting with that new movie.

EPCOT Explorer

I find it troubling you wouldn't be offended, but you say others are... doesn't make sense. If you feel so strongly on this matter why don't you care? I don't know what society you live in, but where I live people aren't so quick to judge you're trying to offend some people or bring up past civil disputes. Sometimes it's best not to assume. Fine, now I'll be cautious about using the phrase but I think you're overreating.:shrug:

Let's try and get back to Epic Mickey though-

Since when was Tinkerbell a forgotten character? Is it true she's trying to kill Wendy? lol

Right. History and sociological terms and meanings DO NOT. Just have to accept that.

BTW...Is Naples utopia?!:rolleyes::lol: Pretty sure it's not like that, seeing I go there sometimes...and it's just like here.:lookaroun

Mickey is the same, only reversed, and he has done this before? You are pulling at straws...:shrug:

_Scar

Right. History and sociological terms and meanings DO NOT. Just have to accept that.

BTW...Is Naples utopia?!:rolleyes::lol: Pretty sure it's not like that, seeing I go there sometimes...and it's just like here.:lookaroun

I've never heard of that term being offensive until today. You only make it offensive if you think of the past racial disputes when you hear/see the term. I did not mean in it in that way at all. And no, Naples isn't perfect. Actually a lot of people are racist and they let their true colors show in this past election. It's pretty sad what people can say when they're upset.

But I thought we were veering away from this topic EE? :rolleyes:

Mickey is the same, only reversed, and he has done this before? You are pulling at straws...:shrug:

Yes, it's the same except reversed and Tink isn't about to be changed back. Pulling at straws? :rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

I've never heard of that term being offensive until today. You only make it offensive if you think of the past racial disputes when you hear/see the term. I did not mean in it in that way at all. And no, Naples isn't perfect. Actually a lot of people are racist and they let their true colors show in this past election. It's pretty sad what people can say when they're upset.

But I thought we were veering away from this topic EE? :rolleyes:

Yes, it's the same except reversed and Tink isn't about to be changed back. Pulling at straws? :rolleyes:
You keep hounding it with ignorant (not a insult, a discription! :) ) reasons why a racial slur is perfectly fine. Being someone who respects and has dedicated myself to History, I will not let you do that.

If you have never heard the term, I implore you to educate yourself. Read, watch, listen. This is APPARENT in History. What grade are you in?

And how can you not think of the past, least ignore it? That's just as bad as saying the slur, IMHO. Learn from the past, learn from it. Built a better tomorrow. :)

Sorry to get all EPCOT-preachy on you, but it's the truth.:wave:

So, Tink was changed radically, and no one complained.:shrug: It's a new side to her persona. A new story. JUST LIKE EPIC MICKEY. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom