MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney does ton of research, but I think what they finding is the research might be flawed. They are relying so much on data that they are forget to look at the emotion behind it all. It's easy to collect data on how you might rank your experience in the park today as a 3 because it was crowded, but until you actually see the family of 5 run around looking for their stroller that got moved with 3 screaming (bratty) kids saying they want to go back to the hotel to swim when they are trying to get to Winnie the Pooh for their FP before their Bibbity Bobbiti Boutique reservation at 4pm and dinner reservation at 6:30pm, it won't mean the same thing.

Indeed they do a lot of research but they also slant and prompt so many of their research techinques so the outcome will favor the topic. Having done several on spot surveys, they have canned questions and let guests vent or gush but the only items being tallied are their narrow field questions. The surveys are usually so generic that data has to come up positive overall guest experience. So I agree the research is flawed.

Comments like 'this is the single best thing we've done' and the original, this is what the guests ask for, so we're giving them MME. With all the survey's I've done, never once was I asked if I wanted to plan and plot out everything 2-6 months in advance. Heck, my last few trips were booked a week out.

PeterAlt

No way:eek:. Surely there must be at least one person in "executive world" out there that can have the passion for the Parks that is needed and the business experience to know how a theme park should be operating. I felt like Mr. Iger was that person when he first started because of his enthusiasm for Tinker Bell, and felt like he was a breath of fresh air from Mr. Eisner's reign. But either I was duped (can happen easily because of the Pixie Dust) or Mr. Iger lost his way in the entrapments of fame, power and money.
You were duped.

lazyboy97o

You're right. A magic band would have destroyed your plans to Disneyland. You do realize, that the magic band is only there to help you book a fast past? And not to destroy your vacation plans? I was at Magic Kingdom on Monday, and I didn't use any fast past machines...and yet I still had fun....sorry...
The MagicBand is not there to just book FastPass. The big differentiator compared to the card is Disney's ability to track the MagicBand.

PeterAlt

I just saw the Steve Jobs movie. It was one of the most accurate accounts I've seen, even covering the "cult of personality" with Apple employees taking orders from him in an advisory role that happened when he first came back to Apple after the buyout of NEXT.

Any way, I bring this up because that's what Disney needs. A Steve Jobs-like leader with passion and vision. A Walt Disney-like leader, but he's not coming back...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've visited WDW twice in the past two months, using a Magic Band at two different resorts, and had no problems with entering a park, my room, dining plan, FastPass+, charging, etc. However, I witnessed plenty of people who did. What bothers me is that everytime I make a resort reservation, I get a new Magic Band. What a waste of money - Disney should recognize that I already have a band that is linked instead of giving me a new one. Which I mentioned to a Disney travel agent and got the response, "but we want you to have more than one - in every colour." And each time I get a mailing instructing me what to do - go on line, customize, etc. And I just got another package in the mail today - a booklet with a magnet showing our travel dates and when to start on-line check in (which according to the magnet was 2 weeks ago) and a flash drive with info on how to use the Magic Band. Really? Isn't this overkill for a Florida resident and Annual Passholder for what will be our 7th trip in 2013? Which Disney should know with all its data mining - but I guess hasn't figured out how to use the data it is collecting. And lord knows how much the fancy flash drive (actually, it's cool but useless) with 3 minutes of video cost. And I bet I will get the same for our trip in January.

I agree that WDW is focusing on the technical and trip planning at the detriment of the reason for going - the Parks. So sad. But I will have a dozen Magic Bands and flash drives and magnets. When all I really want is to have fun at a great theme park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know I can carry it around. I choose not to waste the space. If, on a whim, I want to leave work and drive over to the parks I don't want to have had to pack my MagicBand. I carry my WDW AP in my wallet. I can't carry my Disney Bracelet in my wallet, and I'm not wearing it to work like a watch. I am able to fit my AP and my Key to the World card in my wallet. I can't say the same for the MagicBand. It doesn't fit in my wallet.

Not trying to get in the middle of this debate, but just a practical suggestion: leave the band in the glove compartment of your car. You have to drive to get to the MK (unless you enjoy really long walks) so you will always have it when you get there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
yes but then they'll be able to track you wherever you go....

I had some fears around the tracking aspects of the magic bands but came to the conclusion recently that there is nothing to fear. Ever been to a Disney website? Any of them? They work less than half the time without bugs. This whole project is IT based which for Disney means it won't work at least half the time. No worries.

Nemo14

I had some fears around the tracking aspects of the magic bands but came to the conclusion recently that there is nothing to fear. Ever been to a Disney website? Any of them? They work less than half the time without bugs. This whole project is IT based which for Disney means it won't work at least half the time. No worries.
That might explain why Disney never went into the GPS business. ;)

G00fyDad

Not trying to get in the middle of this debate, but just a practical suggestion: leave the band in the glove compartment of your car. You have to drive to get to the MK (unless you enjoy really long walks) so you will always have it when you get there.

Unless they go with someone else. I know how pi**ed I would be getting all the way to Kings Island with a friend only to realize after we get there that I left my AP in my car.

G00fyDad

The card's location can only be tracked when it's actively used. The location of the band can theoretically be determined at any time.

Where and when? The RFID in that thing can only be tracked when you touch it against the pad. Remember the "Mickey to Mickey" mantra every CM is chanting right now? If Disney can track you as you walk through the parks then the scanners at the turnstiles and FP entry points would not have to have you cram the band against the pole.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Where and when? The RFID in that thing can only be tracked when you touch it against the pad. Remember the "Mickey to Mickey" mantra every CM is chanting right now? If Disney can track you as you walk through the parks then the scanners at the turnstiles and FP entry points would not have to have you cram the band against the pole.

The band has both passive and active RFID in them, the passive is used for touch applications, but the active can be read at a range. I imagine the the reason that they use the touch for entrance is that it would be very hard to control otherwise. If a large volume of people were going through the gate how would a CM know if a person had a ticket (band) or not?

The active part is probably going to be used for things like the personalization of rides like has been rumored for Small World. I believe Spirit also posted some information a while back where they were trying to get the tracking working in stores so they would know exactly how people move through the stores.

G00fyDad

The band has both passive and active RFID in them, the passive is used for touch applications, but the active can be read at a range. I imagine the the reason that they use the touch for entrance is that it would be very hard to control otherwise. If a large volume of people were going through the gate how would a CM know if a person had a ticket (band) or not?

The active part is probably going to be used for things like the personalization of rides like has been rumored for Small World. I believe Spirit also posted some information a while back where they were trying to get the tracking working in stores so they would know exactly how people move through the stores.

Ahh. Fair point. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom