MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

Mammymouse

I've visited WDW twice in the past two months, using a Magic Band at two different resorts, and had no problems with entering a park, my room, dining plan, FastPass+, charging, etc. However, I witnessed plenty of people who did. What bothers me is that everytime I make a resort reservation, I get a new Magic Band. What a waste of money - Disney should recognize that I already have a band that is linked instead of giving me a new one. Which I mentioned to a Disney travel agent and got the response, "but we want you to have more than one - in every colour." And each time I get a mailing instructing me what to do - go on line, customize, etc. And I just got another package in the mail today - a booklet with a magnet showing our travel dates and when to start on-line check in (which according to the magnet was 2 weeks ago) and a flash drive with info on how to use the Magic Band. Really? Isn't this overkill for a Florida resident and Annual Passholder for what will be our 7th trip in 2013? Which Disney should know with all its data mining - but I guess hasn't figured out how to use the data it is collecting. And lord knows how much the fancy flash drive (actually, it's cool but useless) with 3 minutes of video cost. And I bet I will get the same for our trip in January.

I agree that WDW is focusing on the technical and trip planning at the detriment of the reason for going - the Parks. So sad. But I will have a dozen Magic Bands and flash drives and magnets. When all I really want is to have fun at a great theme park.

I agree with you. We have two sets of bands that we used on one weekend because I had to make two reservations for the same hotel - one for a Friday night for a studio and one for a one bedroom on Saturday because that was all that was available. And that was just November. I anticipate booking another weekend before the end of December so we will get another set. By the way I had no idea we were getting the bands until I checked in and if I hadn't read about them on this board I would not have known anything about them. That's another story I have posted about, and while my experience wasn't totally horrible I don't have any desire to use the Magic Band program at all.

We are FL resident passholders for 8 years, DVC since 1997, and have Tables in Wonderland. I've put in my two cents worth on this thread about four or five times since Tuesday so I guess I'm up to about a dime's worth now about my lack of liking the MME+. I feel a sense of ownership and pride about WDW because of being a DVC owner. After all, the first thing CMs say to you (usually) is "Welcome Home" when we check in. We anticipated the Parks would probably be our only vacation spot and that is just fine. I think I am sort of a Pixie Duster, but I see the down grades and lack of upkeep at WDW just like the rest. But that being said, I am planning another weekend for December right now to take in the Christmas decorations and events. Even with the disappointments of recent times we still love to go, we just are not as satisfied. But we've been saying for years, with all the hotel/DVC building they are doing Disney will need to expand on things for people to do, but it hasn't happened sufficiently. And this new atmosphere of separating the guests into groups of those who are special and those who aren't (that's just the way I feel now) and the lack of forward thinking in the Parks attractions is taking away "my" Magical Experience little by little, not adding to it. To me wearing the bands is a physical reminder of that, and Fast Pass+ especially is at the top of my boo list.

Oddysey

Do you want to wear a Disney wristband 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year? No. You don't. At least my watch tells me what time it is. The MagicBand doesn't even do that.

My point is that I carry my AP in my bag, my bag which goes everywhere with me. It is small, and flat, and fits in my wallet like a credit card. It is there when I want it, and I don't have to remember to pack it because it is already in my wallet that goes in my carry-on and therefore with me at all times. In fact, I am sitting at my dining room table right now, enjoying Thanksgiving leftovers, and my AP is right here in my wallet. My MagicBand is no where in sight. It IS bulkier than a credit card sized AP.

Thanks for the sarcastic insult.

I, like you, keep my AP in my wallet at all times. This means that my pass is on me at all times including spontaneous trips to WDW. Since my band will likely be in a drawer at my house I will be less likely to take spontaneous trips from destinations other than my house.

As it currently stands if an AP holder loses their ticket then they can get it replaced for free at the ticket booth or guest relations. I was told by a CM that AP holders are only allowed one free wristband if they lose their first one. This definitely limits my spontaneous trips without my wristband because I will not want to waste my one free wristband. Especially since my wristband will be easier to misplace, and has a higher percentage of being lost than a ticket that remains in my wallet consistently. In my opinion, it would be a greater service to AP holder if we could just keep the current median of entry.

Oddysey

Not trying to get in the middle of this debate, but just a practical suggestion: leave the band in the glove compartment of your car. You have to drive to get to the MK (unless you enjoy really long walks) so you will always have it when you get there.

I thought of this. However, I could easily see both my wife and I keeping our bands in separate cars. One day on a whim we will choose to go to the parks together. I will jump in her car without thinking of where my band is because I have been conditioned for nearly 10 years that my pass is always in my wallet. As a result, my band will be left in my car and we wont realize it until we reach the parking lot. "Well honey, and 2 year old excited daughter, we have to turn around and go back home because daddy refuses to pay for another band when he already paid full admission at the beginning of the year."

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I, like you, keep my AP in my wallet at all times. This means that my pass is on me at all times including spontaneous trips to WDW. Since my band will likely be in a drawer at my house I will be less likely to take spontaneous trips from destinations other than my house.

As it currently stands if an AP holder loses their ticket then they can get it replaced for free at the ticket booth or guest relations. I was told by a CM that AP holders are only allowed one free wristband if they lose their first one. This definitely limits my spontaneous trips without my wristband because I will not want to waste my one free wristband. Especially since my wristband will be easier to misplace, and has a higher percentage of being lost than a ticket that remains in my wallet consistently. In my opinion, it would be a greater service to AP holder if we could just keep the current median of entry.
The MagicBands are not an either or choice. You can have both an active MagicBand and an active RFID card. People already have multiple active MagicBands. Annual Passholders can still keep the card in a wallet and have a MagicBand for when that is desired.

Oddysey

The MagicBands are not an either or choice. You can have both an active MagicBand and an active RFID card. People already have multiple active MagicBands. Annual Passholders can still keep the card in a wallet and have a MagicBand for when that is desired.

Are you positive of this? I had a CM tell me that once my band is activated that my RFID card is deactivated. Heck, my RFID card was deactivated and had to be replaced a few of months ago just because I synced it My Disney Experience. I realize that the CM could have been ill informed, but that is the best source available to me.

lazyboy97o

Are you positive of this? I had a CM tell me that once my band is activated that my RFID card is deactivated. Heck, my RFID card was deactivated and had to be replaced a few of months ago just because I synced it My Disney Experience. I realize that the CM could have been ill informed, but that is the best source available to me.
Yes, because Disney has said you can only get the Annual Pass discounts with the physical card.

Oddysey

Yes, because Disney has said you can only get the Annual Pass discounts with the physical card.

That makes little sense. Is it because the "highly advanced next gen" technology synced to my magic band cannot determine that I am an AP when I am at checkout? It can only be determined if the words AP are written on my ticket median? Whats the point in having to have both or why even give us bands in the first place?

lazyboy97o

That makes little sense. Is it because the "highly advanced next gen" technology synced to my magic band cannot determine that I am an AP when I am at checkout?
I agree. You also won't be able to charge via either method. To me it should be that you can set up charging to your Annual Pass account and when you tap the MagicBand or card it automatically applies your discount.

Oddysey

I agree. You also won't be able to charge via either method. To me it should be that you can set up charging to your Annual Pass account and when you tap the MagicBand or card it automatically applies your discount.

That would be the most logical answer to the issue.

PhotoDave219

I am positive that I've been using both a magic band & my AP.

It's all attached to your My Disney Experience account. You need to configure that and it will work fine.

kittybubbles

I am certain Disney will never give an automatic discount, even with the Disney Visa, you must ask for the discount for it to apply. In the past, I have bought pass holder exclusive merchandise, showed my pass to get the merch, but noticed I did not get the discount, I have been told you need to ask for the discount...the employees seem upset with me when they need to return everything, then ring it all back up to give me the discount.

The bands make little sense for any AP discounted service for you will still need to show your AP as well as your ID to prove who you are.

lazyboy97o

I am certain Disney will never give an automatic discount, even with the Disney Visa, you must ask for the discount for it to apply. In the past, I have bought pass holder exclusive merchandise, showed my pass to get the merch, but noticed I did not get the discount, I have been told you need to ask for the discount...the employees seem upset with me when they need to return everything, then ring it all back up to give me the discount.

The bands make little sense for any AP discounted service for you will still need to show your AP as well as your ID to prove who you are.
You're right that Disney would not do that. It shows just how much of the once famed Disney service is gone and a big part of why MyMagic+ is not good for guests. Disney was once about exceeding expectations. They would have done automatic discounts because it would have made people happy and the thought was that making people happy would get them to spend more. Now Disney instead aims to just barely surpass the lowest of expectations. All of that logistical data being compiled is about finding the absolute lowest level of service people will tolerate.

janoimagine

That makes little sense. Is it because the "highly advanced next gen" technology synced to my magic band cannot determine that I am an AP when I am at checkout? It can only be determined if the words AP are written on my ticket median? Whats the point in having to have both or why even give us bands in the first place?
Agreed, we have the same problem being DVC owners with the DVC discount ... They can't or havent linked that to the band, which you think it would be, so you still have to go through the process of pulling out your card and ID.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I thought of this. However, I could easily see both my wife and I keeping our bands in separate cars. One day on a whim we will choose to go to the parks together. I will jump in her car without thinking of where my band is because I have been conditioned for nearly 10 years that my pass is always in my wallet. As a result, my band will be left in my car and we wont realize it until we reach the parking lot. "Well honey, and 2 year old excited daughter, we have to turn around and go back home because daddy refuses to pay for another band when he already paid full admission at the beginning of the year."

That makes sense. Having 2 kids under 7 I have lost all ability to do anything spontaneous in my life anymore. I am looking forward to a time in the future when I can just go somewhere on a whim.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Not trying to get in the middle of this debate, but just a practical suggestion: leave the band in the glove compartment of your car. You have to drive to get to the MK (unless you enjoy really long walks) so you will always have it when you get there.

Good point, but I don't always know what car I am going to be on. Mine, a rental, a friend, a co-worker...

All I am saying is that it adds a layer of necessary planning and logistics to something that should be able to be spontaneous and fun. It is all very unnecessary. It is a poorly thought out system that is meant to trick me into spending more money without improving the product I'm paying for. TDO is treating me like I'm a dumb easily tricked guest... and now I will be visiting less because of it.

Cesar R M

Wouldnt the most basic solution (for those who do not want to be tracked...) of the whole affair; be a simple rfid-blocker wallet?
I've seen those titanium-cooper wallet cases, that prevent people near you from stealing or reading your card's Rfid.
pretty required if you have special cards for accessing high profile zones (like gov or R&D in a company)

Nubs70

Agreed, we have the same problem being DVC owners with the DVC discount ... They can't or havent linked that to the band, which you think it would be, so you still have to go through the process of pulling out your card and ID.
Just for sake of argument, if all discounts are correctly applied to your account (be it AP or DVC), could not the band's be loaned out to friends and family so they can get the discounts?

Cesar R M

Don't waste too many tears. It may be just a bit inaccurate. Not the part about the cost overruns and issues with MyMagic+ but the part about StarWarsLand at DHS being canceled.

I'm pretty sure the removal( or the "on hold") of the new parades will affect more the morale of the parks.
Specially on AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom