MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

Sam Magic

^ I hope it was not, I was also pretty excited about Monstropolis. The people who run the Disney and More website said that Sorin' around the world was coming to both DCA and Epcot. Any insider word on this or anything else that was featured in that tear factory on Mice Chat?

WDWDad13

For those who don't want to be tracked:

Get rid of your smartphone, internet service, shut your blinds, and never leave the house or contact anyone

lazyboy97o

Just for sake of argument, if all discounts are correctly applied to your account (be it AP or DVC), could not the band's be loaned out to friends and family so they can get the discounts?
At least in the parks, it could be set to only work after being admitted. I guess Disney checks IDs now, but never did when I had an Annual Pass nor have I ever been asked at Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando or Busch Gardens Tampa. I would put that under just part of having Service over Efficiency. As I was thinking, the automatic application of the discount would coincide with a charge, so you'd essentially be lending out your discount, credit card and Disney PIN.

donaldtoo

I've visited WDW twice in the past two months, using a Magic Band at two different resorts, and had no problems with entering a park, my room, dining plan, FastPass+, charging, etc. However, I witnessed plenty of people who did. What bothers me is that everytime I make a resort reservation, I get a new Magic Band. What a waste of money - Disney should recognize that I already have a band that is linked instead of giving me a new one. Which I mentioned to a Disney travel agent and got the response, "but we want you to have more than one - in every colour." And each time I get a mailing instructing me what to do - go on line, customize, etc. And I just got another package in the mail today - a booklet with a magnet showing our travel dates and when to start on-line check in (which according to the magnet was 2 weeks ago) and a flash drive with info on how to use the Magic Band. Really? Isn't this overkill for a Florida resident and Annual Passholder for what will be our 7th trip in 2013? Which Disney should know with all its data mining - but I guess hasn't figured out how to use the data it is collecting. And lord knows how much the fancy flash drive (actually, it's cool but useless) with 3 minutes of video cost. And I bet I will get the same for our trip in January.

I agree that WDW is focusing on the technical and trip planning at the detriment of the reason for going - the Parks. So sad. But I will have a dozen Magic Bands and flash drives and magnets. When all I really want is to have fun at a great theme park.

Yep, and all this from a company that, all the while I worked there for over 4+ years anyway, constantly preached to us about how we needed to be "green" because the company was. I'm no "tree hugger" and even I used to cringe at the sheer hypocrisy in that regard I constantly witnessed. It was a running Joke amongst us CM's. What a crock. "Green" my .

donaldtoo

I love the dismissive posts that assume
a) Everybody uses facebook.
b) Everybody wears a watch.

I'm a rebel too...
I have no FB account, and why would I even need a watch when clocks are everywhere...my phone, my computers, my cable box, my car, the bank sign as I'm drivin' down the road, etc., etc., etc.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Get rid of your smartphone, internet service, shut your blinds, and never leave the house or contact anyone

So that means you are Ok with some random CM knowing where you are to a resolution of 20' 24x7 while on Disney property.

Full Disclosure I am involved with DESIGNING wireless tracking technology to track high value physical assets in the absence of GPS (Think indoors) with a secondary usage for Alzheimers victims.

As such I know all the methods by which I can be tracked. However I am willing to to use trackable technology when it directly benefits ME. Disney's tracking tech does NOT benefit ME.

I explicitly DO NOT WANT to WEAR a tracker 24x7x365 so some authority 'knows' where I am, That is Orwellian to say the least.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure the removal( or the "on hold") of the new parades will affect more the morale of the parks.
Specially on AK.

Honestly, based on what trusted insiders around here are saying there is only a small portion of the miceage piece that is right so I don't believe anything is any more than "on hold" at this point. On hold could lead to cancelled, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

BlueSkyDriveBy

... I just got another package in the mail today - a booklet with a magnet showing our travel dates and when to start on-line check in (which according to the magnet was 2 weeks ago) and a flash drive with info on how to use the Magic Band. Really? Isn't this overkill for a Florida resident and Annual Passholder for what will be our 7th trip in 2013? Which Disney should know with all its data mining - but I guess hasn't figured out how to use the data it is collecting.

Agreed, we have the same problem being DVC owners with the DVC discount ... They can't or havent linked that to the band, which you think it would be, so you still have to go through the process of pulling out your card and ID.

There's a fairly large assumption being made here, that at some point in the future, Disney will actually link your AP and/or DVC data to your TragicBand.

Methinks Disney isn't worried about the IT logistics of this extra step because the discounts might not exist in the foreseeable future.

mitchk

Just got back ... 56 pages! Man .. Bottom line, tracking, or whatever this whole thread has turned into talking about, the bands Suck!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's a fairly large assumption being made here, that at some point in the future, Disney will actually link your AP and/or DVC data to your TragicBand.

Methinks Disney isn't worried about the IT logistics of this extra step because the discounts might not exist in the foreseeable future.
Whether they exist or not they will likely never be linked. I can tell you from personal experience I have bought things at a store and then remembered after the fact that I forgot to use my DVC card for the discount. They aren't going to make it an automatic for you. They will always want you to at least ask.

WDWDad13

So that means you are Ok with some random CM knowing where you are to a resolution of 20' 24x7 while on Disney property.

Full Disclosure I am involved with DESIGNING wireless tracking technology to track high value physical assets in the absence of GPS (Think indoors) with a secondary usage for Alzheimers victims.

As such I know all the methods by which I can be tracked. However I am willing to to use trackable technology when it directly benefits ME. Disney's tracking tech does NOT benefit ME.

I explicitly DO NOT WANT to WEAR a tracker 24x7x365 so some authority 'knows' where I am, That is Orwellian to say the least.

I am very much OK with a CM knowing where I am while I am on Disney property. Why does this matter and why should I be worried? No one seems to care about cameras videoing us EVERYWHERE (not just at Disney)

Wilt Dasney

Speaking for myself, I just have a visceral reaction to the bands that none of the other stuff you mentioned gives me. Maybe it's the bit about it being intended to stay attached to your body at all times, or maybe it's the use of the bland, friendly Mickey head to symbolize all that computing power. Whatever it is, it gives me the heebies.

I recognize it's not necessarily a rational response. But it doesn't really matter. If enough people share it with me (which they may not), Disney will still have to consider it and deal with it.

WDWDad13

Speaking for myself, I just have a visceral reaction to the bands that none of the other stuff you mentioned gives me. Maybe it's the bit about it being intended to stay attached to your body at all times, or maybe it's the use of the bland, friendly Mickey head to symbolize all that computing power. Whatever it is, it gives me the heebies.

I recognize it's not necessarily a rational response. But it doesn't really matter. If enough people share it with me (which they may not), Disney will still have to consider it and deal with it.

A follow up to a previous reply by me....so you don't get the heebies from the cameras filming us everywhere we go (not just at Disney)

Too many people are getting their Harry potter underoos in a wad because of these bands with RFID technology that are only used while in the Disney parks and the funny thing is most of us are carrying around and using a smartphone which is even worse by far when it comes to privacy

Disneyhead'71

Why would you be ed to be able to pull up the FP availability as you drive to the park and score a ticket before you even enter the park? Who wants to walk all the way back to RSR when I could get my pass before I parked? Who wants to back track around the parks to collect FPs? You may not want to do it weeks out, but you will want the electronic version.
If all the FPs at RSR are distributed by 10:00 am. What makes you think that at 5:00pm you would be able to get a FP+? Especially with everyone being able to reserve them 60 days out.

Wilt Dasney

A follow up to a previous reply by me....so you don't get the heebies from the cameras filming us everywhere we go (not just at Disney)

Too many people are getting their Harry potter underoos in a wad because of these bands with RFID technology that are only used while in the Disney parks and the funny thing is most of us are carrying around and using a smartphone which is even worse by far when it comes to privacy
As I mentioned, I'm aware of all the tracking technology that surrounds me in myriad forms, and for the most part unbothered by it. I even admitted my aversion to the MagicBands is most likely based on symbolic factors unrelated to rational thinking, about as trusting a demonstration of good faith and vulnerability as one can make in the wilds of online discussion. :p It still doesn't change the reaction my unevolved lizard-level brain has to the whole thing, which means Disney HAS to consider it. (Again, only if a critical number of potential customers share my reptilian instincts, which it's entirely possible they don't!)

And for the record, I'm rocking the Spider-Man underoos today. :)

WDWDad13

As I mentioned, I'm aware of all the tracking technology that surrounds me in myriad forms, and for the most part unbothered by it. I even admitted my aversion to the MagicBands is most likely based on symbolic factors unrelated to rational thinking, about as trusting a demonstration of good faith and vulnerability as one can make in the wilds of online discussion. :p It still doesn't change the reaction my unevolved lizard-level brain has to the whole thing, which means Disney HAS to consider it. (Again, only if a critical number of potential customers share my reptilian instincts, which it's entirely possible they don't!)

And for the record, I'm rocking the Spider-Man underoos today. :)

Well at least it's Disney/marvel lol

mitchk

The bands, when they work, are fine.
The tracking/data mining aspect sucks.
And FastPass+ is a travesty!

Yes I will agree.. FP+ just does not work. I stated in a earlier post. I tested the FP+ last Sept. I knew right then, and there, these are not a good idea. I also always like to point out as to why would anyone get the PH option now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom