MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

Cesar R M

I think you misread what I said. I said, do you spend money to upgrade it IF it's working as designed? So no, I'm not suggesting it be re-written in whatever the new trending thing is. I said if it works you do NOT change it. I also said the last thing you do is say let's re-write or overhaul it because it's been a while. It adds unnecessary risk and cost

You might want to re-read what I said before getting on your high-horse. By "language of the week" I guess you mean JAVA which is almost 20 years old.

Except Java was never designed nor works for such critical implementations? the strength of java is its portability. It can be slow, clunky and unreliable.. but WORKS.
critical systems needs efficiency and primarily.. stability.

the only thing that would have made them be forced to upgrade.. would be the incompatibility of the intercommunication.
If you have a system that as always been programmed and designed to be standalone, it wont be playing well if you try to cram it to an unified system.
Kinda like trying to link an active system with tons of clients.. to an old ancient database that only could handle 1 transaction per turn(and not like now, where you can have thousands or millions of concurrent ones)

DisneyGentleman

The Mythical Man Month by Fred Brooks is one of my favorite books, I generally buy it for all involved when I have gone in to clean up yet another IT disaster, Trouble is it's lessons seem to be lost on Sr IT Management, They ALWAYS do the 'Nine Women can have a baby in 1 month' AKA the 'Mongolian Hordes Strategy'.

You NEED an UNITARY architect not a 'team' who THOROUGHLY understands what needs to be done and has the resources to make it happen.

Otherwise disasters like NGE, FBI Case File System, ATC Upgrade, IRS Upgrade, Obamacare website are predestined to happen. All of which spent billions collectively and all failed in their objectives.

THIS!

You get it - I'm surprised so many in upper management don't.

So many great organizations have been built using the "unitary architect" paradigm. Disney is but one.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think you misread what I said. I said, do you spend money to upgrade it IF it's working as designed? So no, I'm not suggesting it be re-written in whatever the new trending thing is. I said if it works you do NOT change it. I also said the last thing you do is say let's re-write or overhaul it because it's been a while. It adds unnecessary risk and cost

You might want to re-read what I said before getting on your high-horse. By "language of the week" I guess you mean JAVA which is almost 20 years old.

The same Java with glacial execution speeds and the sandbox that really is not? No, I'm thinking of the guy with the BSD shirt who's pushing for the rewrite of all corporate systems in Python or Ruby on Rails with the hardcore masochists pushing for PHP.

Nubs70

I'll never understand why Disney can't raise prices? Disney is a business and they always have been and always will be, even when uncle Walt was running the ship I assure you they made sure they were making money and if they were not Walt had heads rolling.

We have no access to Disney's books, we don't know how much things cost and how much it costs to maintain and staff them, all we can do is guess and criticize ignorantly, even while Disney has to keep money rolling in to pay people to perform for their business.

As for CEO/ executive compensation, none of that stuff is of my concern because it does not effect me, not does it effect the parks and building new attractions.

Jimmy Thick- Funny thing about excuses, after a while, people start to believe them.
We do know from income statements and balance sheets how much money is coming in and how much is being spent.

Cesar R M

THIS!

You get it - I'm surprised so many in upper management don't.

So many great organizations have been built using the "unitary architect" paradigm. Disney is but one.
because higher management almost always dont care nor want to learn.. they just want it to WORK.. but primarily.. be as cheap as possible.. and that would cost them the least possible time and equipment as well.

they think a IT can just wave a magical fairy (lol) wand, and the program will get us into the rapture and into the heaven instantly! with angel singing in chorus included !!

Also Jimmy, by any chance.. you own Disney stock or something? because I've noticed you defend Disney with cape and sword.

Like Disney was some damsel in distress and the critics some sort of demon trying to kill her.

donaldtoo

Please stop comparing or connecting the Government with Disney Theme parks. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most important) it would be Government (10) and DTP (-2). Every invention that is new can be equated to the light bulb. Not necessarily in it's importance but in process. Trial and error, more trial and error, etc. and then something that works.

Really? Disney is kinda' it's own "government" (at least in Florida, anyway). I was just making the point that it's like some sorta' PR, BS, thinly-veiled extortion thing along the lines of "you might wanna' do as we suggest (since we already freakishly overinvested in it), or..."
As far as trial and error ALWAYS leading to a solution to a goal, last time I checked anyway, I still don't have a hovercar in my garage.

Jimmy Thick

Wait, you asked for examples of greed. They were given. You choose to disregard them, thats your issue.

For example, I criticize raising prices while cutting entertainment offerings yet you only choose to address the former and completely ignore the latter.

So I'll be more direct with my question: Why do YOU feel it is okay for TWDC to raise prices yet cut entertainment offerings.

As for their financials, I base my criticisms on their SEC filings and public financial disclosures. This information is out there. Its not a guess nor is it ignorant criticism. Its fact.

CEO/Executive compensation should concern you. It does affect you. It steers the company to only servicing the shareholders and Wall Street at all costs.

What entertainment offerings were cut that really mattered? Wonders of Life? Alien Encounter? Adventurers Club? 3 ghost towns that deserved the axe? Is the argument they were not replaced with something in their steed? Do the parks really need it?

Its not my place to question why TWDC decides to raise prices, its my question to decide if I choose to pay them. I cannot tell a company, even as a shareholder, how to run their business, those decisions are made by highly paid CEO's who are compensated justly for that responsibility, and they can have it. If I feel Iam not getting my dollars worth at WDW, I assure you, I will stop going. Iam nowhere near that point. Ultimately, no one forces a gun to people heads to go to Disney World and pay prices that some possibly consider greedy, greedy is a state of mind, nothing more.

Jimmy Thick-Less wondering why, more going to...

WDW1974

After thinking about the value proposition for MM+, there may be more here than we realize. Fully 5% of the US population (though many are from overseas) visits the Magic Kingdom every year. These are people who are willing to spend money for a premium experience.

Now, with MM+, every action of this group is scrutinized for maybe one week of the year. Spending patterns, eating patterns, what they like to do and how they spend their time. Imagine the value of this information to marketeers and virtually anyone who want's to sell a product.

So just possibly the added income is not about what you spend while at WDW, but the value of knowing what you do and having that data linked directly to you as an individual.

Just saying...

I have said that from the start. You must have missed the tinfoil BS that comes up when you start talking about government contractors in the IT and defense sector working on a project that is 'too big to fail' for WDW involving datamining, tracking, planning etc and all of the social engineering information that someone (say the US government) could use for its own purposes.

WDW1974

While it isn't a perfect world, of all the resort properties, Walt Disney World is suffering the worst when it comes to what the guest experience was like to what it is now. Sure other properties like Disneyland Paris are struggling in terms of attendance and identity. WDW is aging, fading, and becoming quite literally a "tragic kingdom". The majority of the guests who visit receive this preconceived notion of a perfect vacation painted on their TV screens. They come from far and wide to experience the vacation Mecca. When they arrive they find stress and deception. It's overwelming, it's expensive, and to the first time visitor it is impressive, but it's a false facade. You have parks, resorts, and transportation that are aging. It isn't always crowded, but when they are, you feel it. The experience is being pushed as family togetherness and memories, but what I see is a grab for their wallets and a strategy on what can be cut, cheapened, and reduced to save money to make more money. Disney does ton of research, but I think what they finding is the research might be flawed. They are relying so much on data that they are forget to look at the emotion behind it all. It's easy to collect data on how you might rank your experience in the park today as a 3 because it was crowded, but until you actually see the family of 5 run around looking for their stroller that got moved with 3 screaming (bratty) kids saying they want to go back to the hotel to swim when they are trying to get to Winnie the Pooh for their FP before their Bibbity Bobbiti Boutique reservation at 4pm and dinner reservation at 6:30pm, it won't mean the same thing.

So true, so true ...

Goofyernmost

Sure they could keep it, make guests unhappy if it continues to mess up, put local AP guests at a disadvantage, treat day guests like second class guests and enjoy the bad press it continues to receive from the media all to save face. Speedway was not cheap and inflation also plays into it. Disney is not likely to pull the plug while Iger is still around. Till they have enough attractions to make this work, it is useless. And 1.5 and billion and counting useless. Profits with other theme park projects would have been more of a draw than MME, but I can respect those who favor a hunk of plastic around their wrists over new attractions being added to the parks. Whatever floats ones boat.
I am a "offsite" visitor, not local. I just find offsite more relaxing, easier to deal with and way less expensive, so I too have a vested interest in this. However, and in my mind it is a big however, we do not yet know how it is going to all end up. We are arguing the merit of a system based on what we speculate it will be, not what it might turn out to be in reality. We really don't know do we? We just think that it will exclude people. If it does then it will come at a huge cost to Disney, so I am doubtful that this is what will happen. It might, but, I do not run the Disney Company. The leadership is not elected by a cross section of people, just those with the largest investment. It is not a democracy. Do we expect that those of us with computers in front of us have any say or voice in how the company is run? All we can do is express our concerns which has been going on now for a painfully long time. I'll bet they already know how we feel. That taken in consideration, how many of us actually have experience running a theme park. We know how we would, personally, like to see, it but we just don't know how to no matter how well informed or forward thinking we might be. The big picture is not in our grasp if we are able to admit it. We don't know the thought processes, we don't know the motivation and most of all we do not know the 'actual' goal of the system. We only know what we have been fed with an eye dropper.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have said that from the start. You must have missed the tinfoil BS that comes up when you start talking about government contractors in the IT and defense sector working on a project that is 'too big to fail' for WDW involving datamining, tracking, planning etc and all of the social engineering information that someone (say the US government) could use for its own purposes.

Yes you have - and there is some odd dynamic at work in this project because the cheap B------ds at Disney would have cut this project off ages ago.

I really don't want to re-energize those who if anyone mentions Govt involvement immediately says commenter is a tinfoil hat wearing nutcase. Although the NSA revelations should have changed some minds as to Govt's intentions.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Except Java was never designed nor works for such critical implementations? the strength of java is its portability. It can be slow, clunky and unreliable.. but WORKS.
critical systems needs efficiency and primarily.. stability.

Java is the go-to language when you need client-side execution from everything from a IBM Sierra series mainframe to a smartphone. It's ideal in none of the environments but it works in all with a single .jar there was even work on a CPU which ran Java natively.

Jimmy Thick

Being a publically held company those exec. compensation packages are absolutely a stock holders business. As far as raising prices. What bothers most is that they raise prices and offer less.

You can be a defender of the faith all you want but it will never change the reality that there have been substantial cuts in offerings....guest experiences and maintenance. I understand that it seems there is nothing but negative stuff being posted here. It gets tiresome to me sometimes, but your "Disney can do no wrong and everything is magical" can and is just as annoying.

BTW If Eisner was so great he would still be there. He was run off for a reason. Did he do great things? yep...but in the end he became a tyrant.

What is this less Disney is offering?

Where are these cuts in guest experiences and maintenance?

If there was a universal feeling of being unsatisfied with the WDW product, surely the public would have taken notice and voiced this with their wallets and pocketbooks at the parks? If the parks were as poor and dangerous as people are trying so hard to make one believe, it would have made front page news.

It hasn't, or is the general public too stupid to stop going to a poorly run theme park, and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to do so?

Yeppers, it just makes so much cents...That end up in executives year end bonuses no doubt...

Jimmy Thick- Entering a higher realm of common sense...

Jimmy Thick

Datamining, tracking and planning happens on the very same internet you are currently typing on, if that does not bother you, MM+ should not. If it does bother you, then I don't know what to say...

Jimmy Thick- Well I do but...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What is this less Disney is offering?

Where are these cuts in guest experiences and maintenance?

If there was a universal feeling of being unsatisfied with the WDW product, surely the public would have taken notice and voiced this with their wallets and pocketbooks at the parks? If the parks were as poor and dangerous as people are trying so hard to make one believe, it would have made front page news.

It hasn't, or is the general public too stupid to stop going to a poorly run theme park, and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to do so?

Yeppers, it just makes so much cents...That end up in executives year end bonuses no doubt...

Jimmy Thick- Entering a higher realm of common sense...

Dead bulbs everywhere especially the GF which is supposedly the flagship resort and with room rates of 1K plus per night guests have every reason to expect everything will be PERFECT.
Imagination closure
Parade elimination at DHS and as of Jan 6 at AK
Small Shows everwhere
Stinky moldy monorails

Do you need more examples.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom