MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

John

I'll never understand why Disney can't raise prices? Disney is a business and they always have been and always will be, even when uncle Walt was running the ship I assure you they made sure they were making money and if they were not Walt had heads rolling.

We have no access to Disney's books, we don't know how much things cost and how much it costs to maintain and staff them, all we can do is guess and criticize ignorantly, even while Disney has to keep money rolling in to pay people to perform for their business.

As for CEO/ executive compensation, none of that stuff is of my concern because it does not effect me, not does it effect the parks and building new attractions.

Jimmy Thick- Funny thing about excuses, after a while, people start to believe them.

Being a publically held company those exec. compensation packages are absolutely a stock holders business. As far as raising prices. What bothers most is that they raise prices and offer less.

You can be a defender of the faith all you want but it will never change the reality that there have been substantial cuts in offerings....guest experiences and maintenance. I understand that it seems there is nothing but negative stuff being posted here. It gets tiresome to me sometimes, but your "Disney can do no wrong and everything is magical" can and is just as annoying.

BTW If Eisner was so great he would still be there. He was run off for a reason. Did he do great things? yep...but in the end he became a tyrant.

PhotoDave219

This isn't just a tag for you to get FastPass. It's about big data analytics and how the park can use it to make more $. The longer the system is in place the more profitable it will be for them. Initial costs will be a hassles - but they will be overcome.

MM+ can and will improve logistics and by doing that you can control costs and improve the bottom line. If every person in the park is wearing a passive RFID tag (Magic-band) and there are sensors all over the park, you have enough data to drastically change the way the park runs. You don't need to hand someone in line some stupid card to give to the CM when they get to the front of the line - now everyone is being counted constantly.

If you can determine how long the queues are you can better shape the experience for everyone. The more time people are in line the less time they are in shops and the less time they are spending money on food. So if you see based off of trending data that you need an extra car or two for a ride - you add it. If you see that you don't need to run extra cars, you don't. Heck, now you have really reliable information on how long each ride line is. If you're in MGM no walking to the big board or saying hmmm let's check out ToT and see what the queue is, now you know with up to the minute real time data.

You can determine how long patrons spend in each gift shop. What shops are most popular and when? What items in the shop are getting the most attention? You can determine the most popular paths of patrons throughout the day. Even better yet over the long haul determine how more 'experienced' guests plan their trips. You'll start to see trending data and this lets you control your staffing for your CMs. It allows you to be aware of potential issues before they happen.

Additional ways to make money with the system? Use the location of the patron in the park to send them real-time coupons to their smartphones. Now that family that's walking out EPCOT gets a coupon for Mouseworks and they go inside and buy that trinket that they normally wouldn't have.

I wish people wouldn't poo-poo MM+.

First, everyone should read that because thats a damn good explainer of how the analytics will benefit the company. This is the behind the scenes info thats being captured.

While I agree, those cost savings will be fantastic in the next 10 years (assuming they get it to work right), its not an additional revenue stream IMO. You may be spending your money in a smarter fashion, but its not actually creating revenue.

DisneyGentleman

Continuing to raise prices while cutting entertaining offerings and quality. You get less for your money over the past 10 years.

Here is a quote regarding MyMagic+

"Disney is also going to allow participating guests to have better views of parades, fireworks and other activities. There is no question that this will have the potential ability to enhance the overall vacation for many people!"

The simple fact is no better views are being created. Instead areas are being set aside that were easily accessible in the past, and now you have to jump through hoops to get access to them. MM+ simply restricts access to things we have always enjoyed, and then rations them out (eventually to the highest bidder).

It's a matter of making quality events inaccessible, and spreading visitors to all the lesser attractions they don't bother with now.

Please explain to me how that increases enjoyment.

WDWDad13

Nice post, and I think this is one point that need be noticed by many who maintain that FP+ is doing nothing but making longer lines. Your point alone should imply that WDW will do everything they can to change the problem with FP+ return lines if only to get people out of those lines and into their true revenue generating "experiences".

Please explain how this is making lines longer if the same people would basically be riding throughout the day with or without a fast pass

Cesar R M

I think you're underestimating how hard of a challenge this is IT wise. Even if they knew and were prepared for what it would involve to make it work - it's not going to work overnight. This is a major project with too many moving parts to count. Between the infrastructure costs, software dev costs, data-mining and the rest there are going to be hiccups. I would argue this thing right now is in "beta" they are getting user-feedback and will slowly make change and fix bugs as they come up. No amount of in-house testing prepares you for a real world roll-out. This is not an easy task. I just wish I could be behind the scenes and see how it's all working.

Plus there is the issue of how long it takes to fix bugs as they come across. I won't claim to know what the staffing levels are on this project. However, you can't just hire a bunch of consultants and throw them on this and expect it to magically get better. The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month tells us that this just can not and will not work.

It's going to be a while until this thing works - but when it does we'll be better for it. Well, scratch that, the share holders will be better for it.
Imho, it just shows that they didnt plan it very well.

did disney had outdated systems in certain zones?
UPGRADE THEM FIRST BEFORE MOVING EVERYTHING INTO A SINGLE UNITED SYSTEM!
how about upgrading the most critical parts first? (aka the backbone)
also...always test the individual parts before joining them together!

Because, reading the circus of the magibands, MM+ and the entire thing... Made me wonder...

For me they just seemed to cram all the systems, everything together and call it a day! leaving all the blame and anger into the poor CMs who barely understand the new system.. let alone how to fix it(which is almost always out of their reach as they would need an IT with access).

Please explain how this is making lines longer if the same people would basically be riding throughout the day with or without a fast pass

Its actually kinda simple.
Let's say you have 2 lines, Line one doesnt have any wait time.. this is the "fastpass" , the other is the normal one.

Let's say Normal line starts with 10 clients in queue.
The ride as a capacity of 5 per minute.
Every minute; 5 new clients would add to the waiting in the normal line.

If there were no fastpass.. the normal line would be stayed at 5 per minute always, moving in cycle and emptying fast.. leaving a short wait time of 1 minute.

MEET FASTPASS!!!

now due to fastpass.. the fastpass enter with priority, leaving the other ones in the dust.
Let's repeat the same line as before, but every turn.. 5 people are normal for every 1 fast pass members.

Normal Queue starts with 10 clients.
Fastpass with 1 Client.
Normal line gets 5 new clients per minute.
Fastpass gets 1 client per minute.
the ride only evacuates 5 clients per minute.

For every 4 members of the normal line per minute, they will have to cram 1 of the fastpass every minute.

The normal line will then start to accumulate 1 guy in the normal line every minute.. clogging the normal line in a few hours.

worse if the fastpass members get in masse at certain hour (like fastpass work).
Fastpass line will clear very fast.. but the normal line will grow exponentially because they will hardly advance vs the fastpass.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I am not 'disney experienced"

Anyway.. to resume..I seen this kind of system banks.. and its slow as hell for non "elite" members.. causing them to stay waiting for so long its not even funny.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I think you're underestimating how hard of a challenge this is IT wise. Even if they knew and were prepared for what it would involve to make it work - it's not going to work overnight. This is a major project with too many moving parts to count. Between the infrastructure costs, software dev costs, data-mining and the rest there are going to be hiccups. I would argue this thing right now is in "beta" they are getting user-feedback and will slowly make change and fix bugs as they come up. No amount of in-house testing prepares you for a real world roll-out. This is not an easy task. I just wish I could be behind the scenes and see how it's all working.

Plus there is the issue of how long it takes to fix bugs as they come across. I won't claim to know what the staffing levels are on this project. However, you can't just hire a bunch of consultants and throw them on this and expect it to magically get better. The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month tells us that this just can not and will not work.

It's going to be a while until this thing works - but when it does we'll be better for it. Well, scratch that, the share holders will be better for it.
It is a massive undertaking by a company with a poor track record in the area that also put off infrastructure upgrades as a means of generating "growth" by reducing costs. The whole project has been sold as an all encompassing fix that it can never actually be achieved.

ABQ

You've misinterpreted me. I'm not claiming the lines are longer, I won't know until I get there myself. I'm just stating that it behooves Disney to keep people out of lines so they will spend money in other parts of the park.

DisneyGentleman

So if you had a backyard barbeque and you made impressive hot dogs that you used to give away for free but people liked them so much they were willing to give you 7 bucks a dog you wouldn't take the money and run?

Let's try a more realistic analogy. You had a backyard barbeque that you made reasonable hot dogs selling for a premium price. You made a great profit, but you decided to try to squeeze out a few more bucks. You keep selling the hot dogs at the same price, but you now charge admission to your yard at $10 a head. You also start charging an $5 condiment feee, and oh wait - the customers are now only allowed to buy the food and not eat it until they pay another $5 consumption fee to cover the cost of the wooden crates you put out for them to sit on. But the $5 fee gets them a seat next to the trash bin unless they pay another $10 for an upgrade spot over next to the tree.

It's just business, right?

Goofyernmost

Except it would have been called the Michael Eisner company - not twdc

His ego and dictatorship would have continued to run out talent
Eisnerland and Mike Eisner World...kinda has a ring to it. I wouldn't be at all surprised that many of the "I love Eisner" sentiments are from the same people that couldn't wait to get rid of him a few years ago. Iger goes and we will still get more of the same. Let's just hope that Walt's legacy lasts a little while longer.

PhotoDave219

Here is a quote regarding MyMagic+

"Disney is also going to allow participating guests to have better views of parades, fireworks and other activities. There is no question that this will have the potential ability to enhance the overall vacation for many people!"

The simple fact is no better views are being created. Instead areas are being set aside that were easily accessible in the past, and now you have to jump through hoops to get access to them. MM+ simply restricts access to things we have always enjoyed, and then rations them out (eventually to the highest bidder).

It's a matter of making quality events inaccessible, and spreading visitors to all the lesser attractions they don't bother with now.

Please explain to me how that increases enjoyment.

It doesn't.

What I'm referring to is the cutting/reducing of parades, shows, attractions and other entertainment.

psukardi

It is a massive undertaking by a company with a poor track record in the area that also put off infrastructure upgrades as a means of generating "growth" by reducing costs. The whole project has been sold as an all encompassing fix that it can never actually be achieved.

It's debatable on how much their infrastructure should have been upgrade and when it should have been done. If you have an old POS system that's working fine that was written in COBOL or ADA or some other old and busted language using some old system in the back-end do you spend money to upgrade it IF it's working as designed? OR, do you wait until you have a compelling reason to upgrade something.

Are there pieces of the system they should have upgraded earlier - no one doubts that. But I think it's a bit unfair to say they should have upgraded all the things more recently. Upgrading infrastructure in IT is very risky because of two things. 1. If it works - you're afraid it's going to break. 2. Even if you think it works 100% things that you weren't aware of will break. Their subject matter experts on different parts of the infrastructure are not staying their for the long haul. People leave for other opportunities, old people retire, next thing you know you have an old system and not a lot of people that know how it was built. The last thing you do is say let's re-write or overhaul it because it's been a while. It adds unnecessary risk and cost and guess who's not going to want to pay for it?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The Mythical Man Month by Fred Brooks is one of my favorite books, I generally buy it for all involved when I have gone in to clean up yet another IT disaster, Trouble is it's lessons seem to be lost on Sr IT Management, They ALWAYS do the 'Nine Women can have a baby in 1 month' AKA the 'Mongolian Hordes Strategy'.

You NEED an UNITARY architect not a 'team' who THOROUGHLY understands what needs to be done and has the resources to make it happen.

Otherwise disasters like NGE, FBI Case File System, ATC Upgrade, IRS Upgrade, Obamacare website are predestined to happen. All of which spent billions collectively and all failed in their objectives.

lazyboy97o

It's debatable on how much their infrastructure should have been upgrade and when it should have been done. If you have an old POS system that's working fine that was written in COBOL or ADA or some other old and busted language using some old system in the back-end do you spend money to upgrade it IF it's working as designed? OR, do you wait until you have a compelling reason to upgrade something.

Are there pieces of the system they should have upgraded earlier - no one doubts that. But I think it's a bit unfair to say they should have upgraded all the things more recently. Upgrading infrastructure in IT is very risky because of two things. 1. If it works - you're afraid it's going to break. 2. Even if you think it works 100% things that you weren't aware of will break. Their subject matter experts on different parts of the infrastructure are not staying their for the long haul. People leave for other opportunities, old people retire, next thing you know you have an old system and not a lot of people that know how it was built. The last thing you do is say let's re-write or overhaul it because it's been a while. It adds unnecessary risk and cost and guess who's not going to want to pay for it?
It's not just the IT infrastructure that MyMagic+ was supposed to fix. That is why Operations thought it would be a disaster from the beginning.

Goofyernmost

I don't think I'd equate the invention of the light bulb to a theme park wrist band, etc., but, I could be proven VERY wrong down the road, of course...
When should I expect the government to strongly suggest I use their new "LifeBand", or my life might not go quite as "smoothly" as I'd like it to and I might not receive certain preferred experiences and "benefits"?
Please stop comparing or connecting the Government with Disney Theme parks. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most important) it would be Government (10) and DTP (-2). Every invention that is new can be equated to the light bulb. Not necessarily in it's importance but in process. Trial and error, more trial and error, etc. and then something that works.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
This one I do think they will stick out until it works, because, it will work, maybe not completely the way the envisioned it, but, they will get it to work within reason.

You are listing Theme Park attempts with no where near the investment individually as this one. This is not, in my opinion, strictly a theme park enhancement, this is much bigger then that. DCA didn't work, they didn't close it down they invested millions more into it and made it viable. Disney is more than just Theme Parks, they are a widely diversified entity. Just because it is being tested first in a Disney Theme park does not mean that is their entire agenda. It is like killing two birds with one stone (sorry PITA), something new that they can refine in their own parks and then line up others to join in when it is at a marketable point.

Disclaimer: I am, like everyone else strictly speculating. But there is something about this that screams big time returns for a brand new technology. There are bugs aplenty, but they will get worked out over time. They went into this probably feeling that it wouldn't be this bug ridden and that they thought of everything ahead of time, but, they obviously didn't. Edison didn't invent the workable light bulb on the first try either.

Sure they could keep it, make guests unhappy if it continues to mess up, put local AP guests at a disadvantage, treat day guests like second class guests and enjoy the bad press it continues to receive from the media all to save face. Speedway was not cheap and inflation also plays into it. Disney is not likely to pull the plug while Iger is still around. Till they have enough attractions to make this work, it is useless. And 1.5 and billion and counting useless. Profits with other theme park projects would have been more of a draw than MME, but I can respect those who favor a hunk of plastic around their wrists over new attractions being added to the parks. Whatever floats ones boat.

lazyboy97o

Please stop comparing or connecting the Government with Disney Theme parks. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most important) it would be Government (10) and DTP (-2). Every invention that is new can be equated to the light bulb. Not necessarily in it's importance but in process. Trial and error, more trial and error, etc. and then something that works.
And what invention is new in MyMagic+?

EPCOTCenterLover

True. They feel entitled to special and brand new things, since it's the original. People there are complaining we're not getting anything new... When we just got DCA 2.0 and new offerings in DL. It's ridiculous.
I heard no complaints from friends and family that live there and have passes. All they say is "Wow! Cars Land is amazing!"

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

SO You are the guy in the meeting who is always suggesting that all new projects be coded in the 'language of the week' instead of what has been proven to WORK and has people who can maintain it, Oh and actually has tested subroutine libraries which can be purchased and are PROVEN to work, And you have someone to sue when they don't...

Hmm, ADA old and busted - Strange considering that all military flight and weapons control software is written in this language which also has the ability to create a mathematical proof of the correctness of the implementation of any given algorithm. Yes it's a bondage and discipline language but it does not have memory leaks or buffer overrun problems.

COBOL, Considering that EVERY major bank's core systems run on COBOL and have for DECADES and EVERY credit card transaction runs through COBOL and DB2, IMS or Oracle (your pick of large scale DBMS) Yeah that would qualify for old and busted as well.

psukardi

SO You are the guy in the meeting who is always suggesting that all new projects be coded in the 'language of the week' instead of what has been proven to WORK and has people who can maintain it, Oh and actually has tested subroutine libraries which can be purchased and are PROVEN to work, And you have someone to sue when they don't...

Hmm, ADA old and busted - Strange considering that all military flight and weapons control software is written in this language which also has the ability to create a mathematical proof of the correctness of the implementation of any given algorithm. Yes it's a bondage and discipline language but it does not have memory leaks or buffer overrun problems.

COBOL, Considering that EVERY major bank's core systems run on COBOL and have for DECADES and EVERY credit card transaction runs through COBOL and DB2, IMS or Oracle (your pick of large scale DBMS) Yeah that would qualify for old and busted as well.

I think you misread what I said. I said, do you spend money to upgrade it IF it's working as designed? So no, I'm not suggesting it be re-written in whatever the new trending thing is. I said if it works you do NOT change it. I also said the last thing you do is say let's re-write or overhaul it because it's been a while. It adds unnecessary risk and cost

You might want to re-read what I said before getting on your high-horse. By "language of the week" I guess you mean JAVA which is almost 20 years old.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom