MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

mharrington

Just a bit of an update, but one valued source checked in and told me that while parts of the Miceage story are true, others are simply speculation. I am trying to ascertain what is what ... I still believe the biggest affect of NGE overruns are at WDW, but Todd/Dusty and Norm/Fishbulb and crew may have read too much into certain things that are true: overruns and delays.

I didn't really read all the way through the 20+ pages, just sort of skimmed through, but does your source explain which parts of the story are true and which is speculation?

disney4life2008

"I told you so..."

Regardless of the credibility of the posting - it is safe to assume that most if not all the information presented is factual. It breaks my heart that WDW has fallen apart in so many ways. The magic that once existed is no longer there. There is a difference between forced business magic and genuine magic. Today WDW is forced business magic - its not real. Its all about the bottom figure making money. As much as Eisner is hated on - during the 90s - there was genuine real magic. As I have said in many prior postings - I always felt VIP at WDW but now I just feel like a financial number "how much can I spend". WDW is no longer fun - yes it has some points of fun but the entire property is falling apart. Epcot, HS, and AK are horrifying and are easily half day parks if you only do attractions. MM+ will be the fall of WDW.

Buried20KLeague

No need for the personal attacks. I was merely questioning the credibility of the article.
...and reading some of your more recent posts in this thread, you are too.

That's not the point. The point is that sources here aren't given. You believe people based on their track records and reputations. And you know that. You're not new here.

It's unreasonable to ask, and you know it. It makes your point of view come off as thin and anemic. Defend whatever point you wish... But do so with something better than "well, who told you THAT?".

Bairstow

That's not the point. The point is that sources here aren't given. You believe people based on their track records and reputations. And you know that. You're not new here.

It's unreasonable to ask, and you know it. It makes your point of view come off as thin and anemic.

This is an old account, true, but until fairly recently I haven't been reading this forum, and certainly not paying attention to individual posters long enough to know that I am expected to accept their unsubstantiated word for gospel.
If others do, good for them.

Regardless, the author of the article in question is not, as much as I can tell, a poster in this forum. The post I was referring to was referencing something someone on this forum said weeks ago about the alleged meeting of executives in Orlando and using this as evidence that the article was correct in its allegations. My point was that people were reading too much into this, and indeed @WDW1974 is now saying that he believes a lot of the original article was, in his words, "merely speculation."

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As someone who only gets down to Florida like once every three years, I'm glad that even with their ridiculously overpriced shipping, there's an option for me to get items from the parks without having to go through the overpriced middleman/third-party groups like LaughingPlace or YourWDWStore.

Granted, most of the DIsneyStore's park stuff is focused on the generic "Year Merch"

I LIKE the Online DIsney store it allows me to buy gifts for fellow Disney enthusiasts when required without a park visit, That said the parks SHOULD have some UNIQUE merchandise which is ONLY available there.

Taking that concept to the next level is DisneySea - Mysterious Island has a a gift shop which sells items UNIQUE to that ATTRACTION which cannot be bought anywhere else in the park. THAT my friends drives guest SPENDING not a stupid rubber band with some onboard electronics.

BlueSkyDriveBy

That's not true at all. From Al's alleged 'hatred' to your understanding of major CAP EX spending for P&R at Disney.

In this case, it is very plausible the BoD's simply said 'enough is enough' over the NGE billion dollar boondoggle and told Iger that certain numbers had to be met. Those overruns very easily could take hundreds of millions of dollars in Anaheim projects and make it disappear ... you know, like MAGIC!!!
I have no trouble believing that the parks are being squeezed on spending, given what other business units are now experiencing (Pixar Canada closing its doors, Emeryville laying off 5% of its workforce, etc). I can see Burbank desiring to spread the pain by forcing austerity on all arms of the company, including the parks.

Personally, I see Iger's hand in this more than the Board. His departure is on the horizon, and the size of his golden parachute will obviously be tied to recent earnings, at least partially. Iger simply wants to leave with an enormous goodie bag. And the only way that's going to happen is to tighten all budgets till they're bone dry to artificially inflate the bottom line.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have no trouble believing that the parks are being squeezed on spending, given what other business units are now experiencing (Pixar Canada closing its doors, Emeryville laying off 5% of its workforce, etc). I can see Burbank desiring to spread the pain by forcing austerity on all arms of the company, including the parks.

Personally, I see Iger's hand in this more than the Board. His departure is on the horizon, and the size of his golden parachute will obviously be tied to recent earnings, at least partially. Iger simply wants to leave with an enormous goodie bag. And the only way that's going to happen is to tighten all budgets till they're bone dry to artificially inflate the bottom line.

What happened to the days when executives just left the company with their last paycheck and accrued vacation time... Seems many more companies were consistently profitable then when the executives were not planning to loot their companies on departure.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I LIKE the Online DIsney store it allows me to buy gifts for fellow Disney enthusiasts when required without a park visit, That said the parks SHOULD have some UNIQUE merchandise which is ONLY available there.

Taking that concept to the next level is DisneySea - Mysterious Island has a a gift shop which sells items UNIQUE to that ATTRACTION which cannot be bought anywhere else in the park. THAT my friends drives guest SPENDING not a stupid rubber band with some onboard electronics.
And this was my point exactly.

When I see unique merch that I want, something I suspect I won't be able to get later or elsewhere, I am far more likely to buy it.

Marketing has a term for this. It's a "call to action".

If I know that the vast majority of the merchandise I'm looking at is identical to items purchased online, that response to "buy now" is depleted, as I can tell myself...ok, I really don't want to buy this now, because if I really want it, then I can always get it later once I'm back at home.

And then later, I tend to forget I ever wanted the item in the first place.

I suppose something like a park "wish list" (like places have for wedding registry shopping) would be a neat idea, and a far simpler phone app. That way, I could scan in the merch as I shopped.

But, something still would have to make me have the urge to say "I want that".

GymLeaderPhil

Has anyone brought up the fact that 3 different roles are needed to staff the FP+ kiosks--and more kiosks will be coming--which is adding to this budget?

You have...

Guest Relations and the FP+ Team staffing the FP+ kiosks and the Park Support Team responding to this tech not working. It's trendy right now to want to be on any of these 3 teams, but few realize how meaningless they really are.
You're missing a few more lines of business there. At minimum you have the Resorts, the Reservation Center, and the almighty Avengers. That's six separate departments without stretching to include Attraction coordinators and leaders who are also able now to assist or the multiple strategically named NextGen teams.

WDW1974

Just a quick note before bed (those yams smell so good and my Spirited green bean casserole is to die for ...that special ingredient? Know any missing fanbois?) ...but Miceage actually got very large chunks of this story wrong ... Hey, @KevinYee you might want to tell Dusty and Company they way overextrapolated this one and it's gonna hurt their cred.

Parts were right, but large parts -- like DL's 60th being off are flat out inaccurate.

I will post more as time and the holiday allow. But folks need to take a deep breath, even if NGE is pure evil, it hasn,t frozen all projects everywhere indefinitely. Not true.

Oh, and thanks to @WDWFigment for being the only one in the Twitverse classy enough to acknowledge that I broke the news on Shanghai's developmental menu, even after flying back from his second Asian parks escapade this year ... He better post his thoughts in my Spirited thread!!!

now back to baking and bed ...

disney4life2008

Lets be real here - Disney spent $2 billion initially on this project. And it is now over budget with no end in sight. I understand that Disney wants to be the leader in vacation experiences but this whole project is just bad. FP+ does not make me want to extend my time in the parks nor does it make me want to stay at a resort. With the decrease in EMHs and entertainment, lack of new attractions combined with the ridiculous resort prices - a trip to WDW is now an expensive unnecessary expense. To complicate this - I shutter to imagine FP+ in the dead of summer and because I decided to randomly go to HS first thing in the morning - that I can not experience it because I have no reservation (thus, I will have to stand in line which is guarenteed to be long). $2B could have been spent on so much more to improve the parks but nothing is happening except more DVCs and Disney Springs. Avatar has made no movement in years and the New Fantasyland is an embarrassment. I will always support WDW but the vacation quality has severely declined in recent years.

Sped2424

This just so needs to be repeated.

Many execs at TWDC have outward disdain for the company's own products, like say ... its parks and resorts.

To me, if you don't like seafood you have no business running Red Lobster ...
Couldn't agree more^

John

Just a quick note before bed (those yams smell so good and my Spirited green bean casserole is to die for ...that special ingredient? Know any missing fanbois?) ...but Miceage actually got very large chunks of this story wrong ... Hey, @KevinYee you might want to tell Dusty and Company they way overextrapolated this one and it's gonna hurt their cred.

Parts were right, but large parts -- like DL's 60th being off are flat out inaccurate.

I will post more as time and the holiday allow. But folks need to take a deep breath, even if NGE is pure evil, it hasn,t frozen all projects everywhere indefinitely. Not true.

Oh, and thanks to @WDWFigment for being the only one in the Twitverse classy enough to acknowledge that I broke the news on Shanghai's developmental menu, even after flying back from his second Asian parks escapade this year ... He better post his thoughts in my Spirited thread!!!

now back to baking and bed ...

You realize how many lives you just saved? So many dusters on the ledge ready to jump....you come in and put the fire out....just like that!

John

" You like your Magic Band?......You can keep your Magic Band!".......hehehehehe Only 5% of people have cancelled their vacations....LOL Magic Bands will save you time and money....HAHAHA. People who didn't have Magic Bands (weather they like or not) will get a Magic Band. Wait till the program is fully rolled out....everyone will love it.......

Wilt Dasney

I know that everyone has their opinions at this point, and I know that issues like this have a tendency to "divide" people in a similar way as politics does (do?)...I haven't been to WDW since Jan.'11 (with MANY trips to DLR as an AP since then, FWIW)...but I think the first time someone tried to put a wristband on me related to anything Disney, I would be creeped the hell out. I have hated this idea since the first time I heard of it. Now maybe I could be talked into it as a vacationer in Florida (I lived near Orlando for almost 30 years)...but it would take a real sales job to get me to keep the damn thing on my arm throughout my vacation. I should admit that I have NOT paid attention to the details about this program posted so far...and that I also have several tumblers of gin in me as I post this...but maybe that makes me the perfect demographic to compare to the average WDW visitor? Then again, it's possible this entire post is crap...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom