MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Exactly Right, Remember when you could buy high quality Disney branded clothes, Real animation CELS, maquettes from animation. Not to mention attraction and park specific merchandise, Heck even the refill mugs said 'Walt Disney World' and some resorts had mugs unique to them. And merchandise carried a 20-30% premium compared to the 'Real World' not 100-200% for sweatshop goods.
I also remember a time when you could buy much of the parks merchandise...only at the parks. Not at DisneyStore.com.

Bairstow

Star Wars is a helluva lot more than rumor. Even Iger said so and said announcements would be soon (that was over the summer). Disney teased SW at the D23 Expo.

Right, but what did Disney tease?
What did Iger actually say besides the barest and least committal reference to "increased presence"?
Was there concept art? A tentative starting date? An announcement of which park it would be going in? Which coast?

Perhaps some people who have been more active on this board than I have in the last year or 10 might have built up some credibility as having insider information. I don't know anything about that. What I do know is that prior to this article there was exactly zero credible information available on the general internet to suggest what Disney was, or wasn't actually planing for their parks regarding Star Wars.
This article has not changed that, yet everyone on this board is gnashing their teeth and and tearing their garments as if it was proven in court.
From my perspective, it's an anonymous writer walking back rumors that he may or may not have started.

the.dreamfinder

The commercial makes it look like maudlin claptrap, but where would the modern Disney company be without that?

Is it supposed to be Oscar bait? Or is it the Disney version of Hitchcock, the making of Psycho film from last year? Is it trying to cash in on nostalgia for a more stylish time (a la Mad Men, but without the biting critique of American values)?

I have no idea who the audience is supposed to be for Mr. Banks. I know I have no interest in seeing it.
It is Oscar bait, very, VERY obvious Oscar bait. I could honestly take it or leave it. At its best it could be fun to watch Hanks and Thomas chew up the scenery like Anthony Hopkins in "Hitchcock".
The funny thing is that of the obvious Oscar bait films this year, I absolutely hate "The Book Thief". It is such a self serving cash grab on a very important subject while offering nothing new in terms of portraying World War II and the Holocaust in film. The marketing is very arrogant and they assume people will take their kids to see it even though there are better holocaust stories that are accessible to children (Maus, Boy with the Striped Pajamas).

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When you're complaining about MM+ costs and stale parks, just remember that Disney execs want to provide the most magical and memorable experience for the guests' dollars...

*snicker*

Seriously, what are the odds TWDC still owns these parks in 10 years?

About the same as winning the Powerball lottery three times when jackpot is 200M+ ie a snowball's chance.

Cody5242

Some Spirited Perspective:

I knew and posted that all WDW projects were on hold after the exec retreat at WDW two weeks ago.

I am a bit surprised, saddened and sickened that this data mining and trip planning app has the ability to drag resorts around the globe down with it.

I also don't fully believe it and the folks I have reached out to have yet to get back to me and may not for a bit with this being the holiday week.

Things that have already been funded at WDW, such as Pandora and Disney Springs and the next dozen DVC resorts will not be affected in any way. That would also include the kiddie coaster and new MK parade.

As to DLP, well, it is a mess as is but does have an E-Ticket opening at the Studios park late spring and that will open. Nothing further had been approved of, so how this affects DLP is negligible.

As for TDR and SDL, they can't be affected by this due to ownership and political reasons, respectively.

HKDL? They just announced their first Marvel E-Ticket for the park and have a new night parade scheduled to open next summer. I sincerely doubt that anything at WDW will affect those. It wouldn't make the Chinese happy and Iger and the BoD are very interested in keeping them happy. Could they be delayed? Sure, but not long ... not indefinitely.

So ... what exactly does this news mean?

If anything, it means that WDW will continue to be the stale, tired and unkempt flagship resort. It means that the Studios Makeover, the Imagination redo and anything else not tied to blue aliens gets FROZEN (HEY, DID YOU HEAR THIS IS THE BEST DISNEY ANIMATED FILM SINCE THE LION KING?!?!??!?! ... You should have since Disney paid enough for that review!)

What is less clear is what it means for DLR ... could the abyss that is NGE simply swallow DLR and its 60th B-day plans whole? Sadly, the way Disney plays the numbers (shell) game with One Disney and its USA operations, yes, it could. But I also don't see that happening if pressure (both internal and external) come to bear on Iger and Co.

Again, all of you apologists, defenders of mediocrity, Pixie Dusters etc ... you really are helping destroy Walt's Legacy and his company's.

BTW, Saving Mr. Banks doesn't look all that (I know, the fanbois are crying and burying their heads under pillows while yelling 'I can't hear you!') and was it just me or did Walt Disney walk by the Walt Disney Story in one of the trailers? I thought so, but only got a brief glimpse. If so, that is one incredible continuity issue that someone should have seen.
I just got back from seeing Frozen and I must say it was a fantastic film but not as good as the Lion King. It does have the best cast of characters that I have seen since the Lion King though

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Or when they stocked lots of unique, theme appropriate non-Disney items in the parks stores.

Forgot about that, Remember when the Camera Shop actually carried photo equipment and supplies in case you forgot anything?.

Does anyone remember the Nikon showroom in Manhattan where a technician would look at your Nikon camera and make any repairs and adjustments for FREE in his glass box. But Disney's Nikon sponsorship will just be low-end Coolpix cameras replacing the Kodak easy-share cameras.

If Disney had any Imagination they would do a Japanese style Nikon display with all the Unique stuff that Nikon makes but they will not - just merchandise to the Honey Boo-Boo crowd

WDW1974

I know in Al's eyes all things evil are the result of something being done, or not done, at WDW but if they did actually scotch all development at DLR it is because DLR has a problem, not because of the cost over runs and schedule delays of an unrelated project at WDW. The businesses are run on separate budgets, with separate over sight until all but the highest level.

That's not true at all. From Al's alleged 'hatred' to your understanding of major CAP EX spending for P&R at Disney.

In this case, it is very plausible the BoD's simply said 'enough is enough' over the NGE billion dollar boondoggle and told Iger that certain numbers had to be met. Those overruns very easily could take hundreds of millions of dollars in Anaheim projects and make it disappear ... you know, like MAGIC!!!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If Disney wants more of our money then they need to have a better variety of merchandise. I swear, every time we walked into a store it looked identical to the last one we were in. The same homogenized merchandise in every store. Mix it up a little bit Disney. We went on our last trip with around $900 each for spending money alone. I came home with $700, my wife came home with $620, and my son came home with $100. Okay, so my son is probably a poor example. LOL But they did not get the $1420 that we expected to spend while there because we already had nearly everything that we wanted from previous trips. DISNEY.... bring back the resort specific and unique merchandise!

Same here - trip with family in august ended up spending $860 for 4 of us for 10 days at the parks, We are DVC so did some meals in 1BR unit, Reality is there was NOTHING we wanted to BUY for sale. 3 years ago spent $2500 - Since Disney has sucked the value out of meals and merchandise we don't buy any more.

We are NOT willing to pay Ruth Chris prices for Golden Corral food. I like BOTH RC and GC I travel extensively Golden Corral allows me to eat a meal with REAL vegetables for fast food prices, For a client dinner Ruth Chris. However my expectations are vastly different at each chain. Unfortunately with a few exceptions DIsney food is now 'Golden Corral' at Ruth Chris pricing.

the.dreamfinder

Forgot about that, Remember when the Camera Shop actually carried photo equipment and supplies in case you forgot anything?.

Does anyone remember the Nikon showroom in Manhattan where a technician would look at your Nikon camera and make any repairs and adjustments for FREE in his glass box. But Disney's Nikon sponsorship will just be low-end Coolpix cameras replacing the Kodak easy-share cameras.

If Disney had any Imagination they would do a Japanese style Nikon display with all the Unique stuff that Nikon makes but they will not - just merchandise to the Honey Boo-Boo crowd
I dunno, I see a lot of DSLRs in the parks. I think Nikon would be dumb not to offer affordable camera repair services. Hell, they could make a fortune on camera batteries and SD cards.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree with that, but the article seems to imply that when Iger got to Orlando and found out how bad things were he flipped out and put everything on hold. I'm sure if everything is really on hold that was decided well before those meetings.

I see either situation as plausible. Often everyone knows the bits and pieces.. but there is indecision on what to do about it. So you assemble the team, flush out the dirt, and make some decisions. Or the other extreme, you have predispositions, give people an opportunity to present their case, and then make a decision. Either way... Doesn't sound off...

PhotoDave219

That's not true at all. From Al's alleged 'hatred' to your understanding of major CAP EX spending for P&R at Disney.

In this case, it is very plausible the BoD's simply said 'enough is enough' over the NGE billion dollar boondoggle and told Iger that certain numbers had to be met. Those overruns very easily could take hundreds of millions of dollars in Anaheim projects and make it disappear ... you know, like MAGIC!!!

Meaning they still have profit margins to meet.

PhotoDave219

I dunno, I see a lot of DSLRs in the parks. I think Nikon would be dumb not to offer affordable camera repair services. Hell, they could make a fortune on camera batteries and SD cards.

I'll be more than happy to discuss Nikon elsewhere and not in here. They have their own financial issues.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Providing things like that would also keep people from leaving the parks to search out a Walmart far more effectively than a phone app or a plastic bracelet.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

P&R is the reliable CASH generator for TWDC, If there is no CASH from P&R the TWDC numbers as a company look pretty grim and since many of the deals were done in STOCK if TWDC does not make the analyst's numbers the stock price tanks and various escalator clauses go into effect with the deals. In short the whole house of cards collapses.

For a long time I've wondered if TWDC was as healthy as their SEC filings indicate, Just look at their nearest comparable competitor Comcast, The majority of Comcast's deals have been in CASH they completed the NBCU buyout from GE EARLY. Nearly all Disney's deals are done with STOCK.

Oh and that 2B share buyback program, Just whose shares will be 'repurchased' the smart money says TWDC executives. If they cancelled THAT program the NGE losses would be covered the fact that the buyback appears still to be ON while everything else is coming to a screeching halt says volumes. To me it says dump DIS while you still can.

doctornick

Finally read through the whole thread.... Two important points made by others...

I look at this.. and it really sounds like the boss trying to freeze spending in the short term to fix a quarter to quarter issue.

Why?

1) Length - if you were making a strategic pivot... you'd just pull the plug now and get rid of the labor too. Instead, the story is people are being told to stop for a short time (90days is very short in a development project) and instead focus on things already in the oven. This sounds to me like stopping 'extra' spending to ensure your short term numbers are where you want them

2) Choice of what to stop. If MM+ is the disaster it's painted as.. and Iger is ed off about it... why would he stop the investment into the 'other strategy' of building attractions in favor of continuing to spend money on MM+? If you see MM+ as the titanic - you don't stop your alternative strategy to double down on it. This says to me they aren't giving up on MM+ or think it's a dead end.

And why not simply stop MM+ where it is? You could stop the feature rollouts and revert to a place where you stop rolling out FP+, stop the bands, and focus on fixing classic hotels+tickets. Basically revert MM+ to being an infrastructure only upgrade and dial back the scope to reduce the spending.

This says to me they are simply making a panic stop to try to impact the near term quarterly numbers for the division and TWDC. The 'future' developments WDI is working on are the easiest, and least impactful (right now) thing to stop right now. It's something you can do instantaneously and the revenue side of your business doesn't miss a beat at all (for now). MM+ is in front of customers 'now' - so they can't make the same kind of drastic halt in ongoing expense there.

It's akin to a company putting a hiring freeze or travel freeze in place. It doesn't mean they don't ever intend to hire again.. or are changing their business philosophy... it's simply the company trying to pull the emergency brake to bring expenses back under a new target.. typically due to a projected fall in revenue.

This sounds to me like short-term expense shaping. Stop your 'unnecessary' spending to bring the quarter's numbers into line. Until they decide to rescope MM+ - I don't see their perspective of MM+ as a strategy changing.

This seems like a solid analysis of the news. I'm not surprised at all that MM+ problems would affect willingness to spend money elsewhere in P&R. But painting it like it means that no projects will be built in WDW/DLR/DLP for a decade or whatever is overkill. Sounds more like nothing is going to be approved for 3-6 months until the books look better and the BoD feels more comfortable committing money to P&R.

I didn't read the whole thread, so not sure if this from 3 weeks ago, was 'reposted'.

http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2013-11-07/iger-expanding-star-wars-attractions-at-parks

I doubt Iger has learned much about MM+ since then and has cancelled everything. I am very, very skeptical about the melodramatic MiceAge article. (But, thanks for posting anyway Martin. I know you didn't write it. :))

Excellent point. That was a very recent public interview by Iger and it's not like the cost overruns from MM+ were not known at that time. I certainly would expect more Star Wars presence in the parks at some point -- even if the content/execution may be value engineered significantly -- especially with a bevy of movies on the horizon. This news sounds more like a delay than a outright cancelling/abandoning.

Last edited:

WDW1974

I used to routinely get asked by friends about going to WDW and countless families decided to take their trips based on my talks with them and my assistance in planning.

But now, just as many have decided NOT to take a family trip based on advice from me.

And certainly I'm not the only one here in this position.

If TDO doesn't believe there's a strong backlash on the way from their most loyal customers that will also extend into the "once every 10 years" group... They're sadly mistaken. I dare them to ride that theory out.

My family can get get into the parks for free almost anytime they want due to my Spirited friends. They can get free and greatly discounted food and beverages thanks to my Spirited friends. They can even get fair (40-60% off) rates at WDW resorts due to my Spirited friends.

They have no desire to go to WDW anymore and largely have felt this way for years now.

DisneyGentleman

Remember, a certain Spirit told y'all a long time ago that NGE was supposed to directly result in an 11 percent across the board rise in revenues by third quarter of this year.

Management who evolved in ignorance of IT have no clue how to manage it. Time after time, unwieldy IT projects with big promises line the pockets of consultants and contractors, and non-scaleable systems never function as promised. Millions of lines of code are written, and functionality never lives up to the promises.

The sooner they face up to this mess being Igercare, the quicker the corporation will move past dumping good money after bad. The basic premise of both "care" programs is a clever fleecing of the paying (or taxpaying) public. It simply doesn't work.

I hope WDW recovers, but maybe not in my lifetime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom