Matterhorn in the Magic Kingdom?

tjkraz

No I'm saying they are completely different rides themed to completely different locations on the globe.

In Matterhorn its an Abominable Snowman, Everest is the Yeti. Everest has a completely different theme, and its more of a mine train coaster on steroids.

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/images/tracks/trk_ak_everest.jpg

Matterhorn: http://rcdb.com/200.htm
Everest: http://rcdb.com/2389.htm

Clearly different. Matterhorn has a ton of differences. Single seating (which im sure if it came here it would be 2 across for capacity) use of water as brakes instead of having to trim the ride which trims kill coasters. And most of all its a open feel.

The fact that you need to go to such lengths to make your point on a Disney message board speaks volumes, IMO.

Fans may see the difference--some only after having it meticulously explained to them. But your run-of-the-mill Walt Disney World day guest would look at it and think "a rollercoaster in a snow-topped mountain...we went on that yesterday at the other park...what a ripoff."

We're talking about a psuedo-clone of another WDW attraction and a literal clone of a DL attraction. Don't need it. New ideas!!!

Krack

The internet makes it real easy to judge the similarities and differences between EE and the Matterhorn ...

EE Ride Video

Matterhorn Ride Video

I looked for video of the queues, but I couldn't find anything good.

Personally, having ridden both of them, I think think the two rides are like night and day, but judge for yourselves.

Amen!

Fellow east-coasters: Disneyland really isn't THAT far away! If WDW is gonna put $100 million into a new "E" ticket, how about we root for something new and different rather than yet another clone. :hurl:
I agree, each park needs unique and exclusive attractions. TOT was supposed to be our exclusive attraction but of course Disney felt the need to clone it into the other parks.

kaos

Maybe for DL's 60th they'll send more rides from DL out to the other parks!!! NEMO SUBS perhaps? Or howe about.. wait for it... ROCKET RODS!!!

There are clones of a majority of the rides in all the Disney theme parks already. Lately, it seems the purpose of the E-ticket attraction is to bring people in to a SPECIFIC theme park- EE, MS, TT... come to think of it, that's the only 3 I can think of that aren't cloned in multiple parks... SM ToT, RnR, even IASW, SW, WP, BTMRR, SplM are all cloned and in all the parks... I'm not sure how I feel about Matterhorn being brought to WDW, in any park, unless it is a different concept. Mountain for the sake of mountain doesn't make sense... I'd rather see the Meet the World concept, Bullet train, or something new from Imagineering rather than a rehash of something already there...

Krack

I wouldn't even consider the Matterhorn to have a que ... more like covered turnstiles.

Well the queue is not unlike the other Fantasyland attractions (Peter Pan, Snow White, Tea Cups, Dumbo), aside from the atmospheric polka music and the fact that you can see the ride vehicles winding in and out of the mountain. Regardless, it's quite a bit different than EE.

raven

When I'm in line at the Matterhorn, I just want to burst into a German accent, then sing something from the sound of music and put on some lederhosen, whereas on EE, I want to shave my head, climb to the top of a brisk peak and mediate to monks chanting.

:lookaroun

Of course, there's also that pesky little issue of which mountain has a working animatronic.... :zipit:

Matterhorn's monster is a static figure with sound. It doesn't move.

My new wish has been for the Matterhorn in Europe themed section of Animal Kingdom (minus Harold of course). I know everyone thinks that Everest and the Matterhorn are too similar to be in the same park, but I just don't understand that. .

Two yeti themed attractions is different parts of the park? :veryconfu And a Europe section of Animal Kingdom? I'm sorry but when I think of wild animals I don't think of Europe.

And no...for anyone still wondering....Matterhorn is NOT coming to the MK. That concept died years ago.

Very true. No current concepts or plans are even in the works.

A BIT OF OFF-TOPIC: Is there any chance for it to go to Epcot (with the Switzerland pavilion)?
I would love to see a Switzerland Pavilion for Epcot.....
END OFF-TOPIC

No plans for Switzerland at Epcot anytime soon. Another country has been looked at recently and new arial photos have been taken looking at usable space.

PhilharMagician

Matterhorn9.jpg

03scrow.jpg
is that lance armstrong and sheryl crow?[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes it is!

Yep...we wouldn't want anything like that in the MK....oh...wait...stupid Space Mountain....:mad:

What do you mean? Space Mountain just got all new track, oh wait "huh" it did get all new trains? aah no, but it did get state of the art on board audio! Well forget it, I'll just shut up now :brick:

aladdin2007

:lookaroun

No plans for Switzerland at Epcot anytime soon. Another country has been looked at recently and new arial photos have been taken looking at usable space.[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt that be great if one FINALLY came through?? :wave: but as usual not holding my breath.

WorldKey

For a lot of us the Matterhorn may be a bit about nostalgia. Of couse if they ever actually added it to WDW or EPCOT it would be totally modernized. I think the point for many of us is that we get excited about something being added to MK (namely the FLE) that doesn't have something to do with Princesses.

Krack

For a lot of us the Matterhorn may be a bit about nostalgia. Of couse if they ever actually added it to WDW or EPCOT it would be totally modernized. I think the point for many of us is that we get excited about something being added to MK (namely the FLE) that doesn't have something to do with Princesses.

You're avatar rocks. I found the kiosks captivating in the early 80s - touch screens were like magic.

TP2000

Matterhorn's monster is a static figure with sound. It doesn't move.

There are actually three versions of Harold (his real name) inside the Matterhorn. One only seen from the A Track that is static, one only seen from the B Track that is static, and one seen from both tracks at the A/B Track split that has arm and head movement.

Here's the Harold with arm/head movement at tha A/B Track split, hugging a Matterhorn Host and a Storybookland Hostess.
harold+3.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c4OIkT0wtlE/SMC8tlvKenI/AAAAAAAAAj0/b_b_tAJuBnM/s400/harold+3.jpg

What I find equally odd is that the CM's at Animal Kingdom have never given a name to their Yeti. It's just "Yeti". Harold is famous at Disneyland! The Yeti needs a name.

Krack

What I find equally odd is that the CM's at Animal Kingdom have never given a name to their Yeti. It's just "Yeti". Harold is famous at Disneyland! The Yeti needs a name.

They can't name it until they've actually seen it move and are sure it's alive.

BrerFrog

I know some people on these boards have given him a name, but it was so long I don't remember anymore. I do remember that the word "broken" was somewhere in that name. :lol:

Enchantâmes

Great idea but they will never do it..bottom line. I use to think I know the economy is bad, but tomorrow they will announce the next big thing. But lets face it they are being cheap and nothing huge is in the works (besides fantasy land) for at least the next 4 years! :(
Walt made Snow White during the Great Depression (he put his whole family's savings into it too), and that of course was a huge flop. *end sarcasm*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom