Matterhorn in the Magic Kingdom?

Krack

for everyone that wants the Matterhorn in MK, have all of you RIDDEN it??

It definitely rides and feels like a 40 year old coster...very bumpy, very unconfortable. It's great over at DL, and visually it looks stunning, but one (er, one other than the actual Matterhorn) is enough. I would rather have an adapted concept with different and updated effects/storyline.

I've ridden it. I'd take it exactly as is, but we all know the track would be build in a way (just because of modern advancements) so that it wouldn't be "very bumpy, very uncomfortable"; so that's really a moot point.

However, I reiterate my point that what the parks need are not E-tickets, but rather a bunch of C-ticket dark rides all over the place (they cost less, and eat people).

the-reason14

The music soundtrack is what makes DL's so great. The way the tempo steadily increases as you get farther into the ride works very well to give you the sense that you have also sped up tremendously I think it's very well executed.

Though seems like there will always be something to compain about.

True, thats what this forum is for. To complain about everything, so this fits right in :D. I can just listen to the soundtrack from disneyland's space mt. and ride the better one in the MK. If I want the effects, I can get two different color flash lights and flash them in my face. Same effects, wayy better roller coaster.

cslafferty

Agreed. Putting the Matterhorn in the MK and claiming it is significantly different than E:E would be equivalent to building a log flume ride... we'll set it in the "thistle patch" somewhere in Tennessee (as opposed to the 'deep south'). We can have an AA bunny (different than a rabbit) being chased by an AA wolf (different than a fox) and an AA black bear (different than a brown bear). We'll stick this ride in Animal Kingdom and nobody will think it's too similar to Splash Mountain whatsoever.

An aboninable snowman is a yeti. A mountain is a mountain. A rollercoaster is a rollercoaster. Get over it. Trivial arguments about track design and story are fine to say "Matterhorn isn't EXACTLY the same as E:E," but the fact is that they're WAY too similar to exist just a couple miles from one another.
Exactly! People wanted the Matterhorn to come to WDW. AK needed a E-ticket thrill ride to draw people. The Matterhorn, while fun, is certainly not a big thrill as far as coasters go. So, they changed the mountain to fit the theme in AK, and made the ride bigger and scarier. Riding the Matterhorn in DL is nostalgic. It was a great coaster for 1959, and is historic for being the first tubular steele roller coaster in the world. But, to recreate it in WDW, it would need to brought up to today's standards as far as what people expect in a roller coaster. If they would have brought the Matterhorn to the MK "as is," coaster buffs who have never ridden the one at DL would be anticipating this big thrill ride, and would have been extremely disappointed.

It would be fun to see the characters scale the sides of EE like they do on the Matterhorn, tho!!:sohappy:

Lee

Adventurer
I HATE this argument about Space Mountain. It's a wild mouse design. The whippy, out of control feeling is the entire point.
No.
It is not a "wild mouse" design in any way.

And the "whippy, out of control" feeling is a result of it being a 1975 design. It wasn't meant to be that bumpy and jarring.

IWant2GoNow

No.

And the "whippy, out of control" feeling is a result of it being a 1975 design. It wasn't meant to be that bumpy and jarring.

I've never really been bothered by the bumping and jarring. Should it be upgraded? Probably... ok absolutely, but at least it's not like the Mean Streak at Cedar Point. I swear one day I'm going to need either a kidney replaced or a new spleen because of that coaster. Most the time my friends and I skip it. Too brutal. Haha. :)

wizards8507

No.

From The Unofficial Guide. I'll get more sources if you require.

Roller coaster aficionados will tell you (correctly) that Space Mountain is a designer version of The Wild Mouse, a midway ride that's been around for at least 50 years. There are no long drops or swooping hills like on a traditional roller coaster, only quick, unexpected turns and small drops. Disney's contribution essentially was to add a space theme to The Wild Mouse and put it in the dark. And this does indeed make the mouse seem wilder.

EDIT:

From Theme Park Insider:

Think about Space Mountain for a moment. As a roller coaster, Space Mountain is absurdly simple: a basic wild mouse coaster in the dark. So why is it so highly rated and beloved?

From The Coaster Critic:

Essentially a wild mouse coaster, Space Mountain ups the ante on the genre by taking place entirely indoors and entirely in the dark. Like all wild mouse coasters, Space Mountain makes its thrills by pushing two car trains, rather than single cars, through a twisted course of short surprising drops and hairpin turns.

Tigerace81

for everyone that wants the Matterhorn in MK, have all of you RIDDEN it??

It definitely rides and feels like a 40 year old coster...very bumpy, very unconfortable. It's great over at DL, and visually it looks stunning, but one (er, one other than the actual Matterhorn) is enough. I would rather have an adapted concept with different and updated effects/storyline.

I'm confused what your stating? Do you think we are getting the matterhorn from DL? Or do you think they would build it out of old coaster track?

devoy1701

I'm confused what your stating? Do you think we are getting the matterhorn from DL? Or do you think they would build it out of old coaster track?

A lot of people that rave about Matterhorn and wish it would be cloaned and brought over to MK have never actually ridden it. While it may look great and hold a place for greatness for nostagia's sake, it is by no means a great rollercoaster, in terms of comfort, design and effects by today's standards. And if you're not looking for a cloan, what are you looking for, Matterhorn: Expedition 2?

We already have a ride through a snow covered mountain searching for/trying to escape a Yeti. Lets get something else please.

Lee

Adventurer
From The Unofficial Guide. I'll get more sources if you require.

From Theme Park Insider:

From The Coaster Critic:

*sigh*
Obviously, some people wouldn't know a wild mouse if it came up and bit them.:rolleyes:

Definitions:
- A term that describes a type of roller coaster with sharp, turns that are not banked and quick steep drops.
- Unlike most roller coasters that use trains with several cars, wild mouse coasters run single cars that seat four riders (two in front and two in back).
- Wild mouse coasters are known for their flat, un-banked track and tight hairpin turns.

Wild mouse:
trvire_wm.jpg

NOT a wild mouse:
SpaceMountainLightsOn2.jpg

Wild mouse:
wildmouse1.jpg

NOT a wild mouse:
image_spacemountain_estop05.jpg

And no...for anyone still wondering....Matterhorn is NOT coming to the MK. That concept died years ago.

Tigerace81

A lot of people that rave about Matterhorn and wish it would be cloaned and brought over to MK have never actually ridden it. While it may look great and hold a place for greatness for nostagia's sake, it is by no means a great rollercoaster, in terms of comfort, design and effects by today's standards. And if you're not looking for a cloan, what are you looking for, Matterhorn: Expedition 2?

We already have a ride through a snow covered mountain searching for/trying to escape a Yeti. Lets get something else please.

Just wondering. The way your post was worded it sounded like you thought they wouldnt build it as a brand new coaster.

But I dont now why some people think this will happen.

wizards8507

*sigh*
Obviously, some people wouldn't know a wild mouse if it came up and bit them.:rolleyes:

This is the exact same point I just made about comparing EE to the Matterhon. Just because it doesn't fit the *exact* definition, the point remains that it's the closest definition there is, and it's pretty darn close.

Lee

Adventurer
That SHOULD put an end to this rumor. But it won't.
:lol:
Yeah...let's try a few more.
WRE is NOT coming to the MK in any form.
Frontierland is NOT next in line for a new attraction.
Pixie Hollow as depicted in the FLE concept is dead.
Alice in Wonderland is NOT going to be part of FLE.

There...let's see how many rumors that ends....(guessing none...:rolleyes:)

wizards8507

There...let's see how many rumors that ends....(guessing none...:rolleyes:)

So you're saying we still have a shot at Night Kingdom, Radiator Springs, Monsters, Inc. rollercoaster, and Beastly Kingdomme?!?!?!?!

:animwink:

lebeau

So you're saying we still have a shot at Night Kingdom, Radiator Springs, Monsters, Inc. rollercoaster, and Beastly Kingdomme?!?!?!?!

:animwink:

Exactly. Any minute now, Jim Hill will be reporting that these projects are "ready for the green light!"

Evil Genius

I don't see how anyone would even begin to think the Matterhorn would be cloned in Orlando.

There's no need for it! As has been stated by so many here EE is essentional the next gen of Matterhorn and with plethora of needed refurbs...rethemes...repurposing needed...my bring over a retread?

ChrisM

Excellent.

So Lee, what land or park is next in line for a new attraction? And what might that attraction be?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom