Matterhorn in the Magic Kingdom?

MarkTwain

Matterhorn should stay exclusive to DL. Period.

It always has been and always should be a DL original.

End of thread.

Agreed.

this reminds me.. It's said that when Walt pitched the idea of the Matterhorn, the imagineers told him it wouldn't work and it would ruin the sight lines around the park. They said a towering mountain would destroy the illusion of Main St. USA and Adventureland. Walt knew it would work and lucky for him, it did -- I can't imagine DL without it now.

MatterhornModel_Disney1-1.jpg

That's a nice picture, and it reminds me of another reason I think the castle works very well in Disneyland. Sleeping Beauty Castle is based directly on Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, yes?

Then compare this picture of the latter to a picture of the former:

Neuschwansein_Winter_01.jpg

matterhorncasrle.jpg

Considering that Cinderella Castle is based on French and not Germanic architecture, and is at a completely different scale than SBC, this would be difficult to replicate at the MK.

Enchantâmes

Doesn't it seem that the new FLE will be more representative of a wider scope of European styles. For instance the chateau looks french to me. I'm certainly no expert. Little Mermaid seems to have baltic influences. Anyway, I don't think the FLE style will be able to be called German in the future. What is your opinion of the FLE and what it reflects?

PS- all the new styles of the FLE would allow the matterhorn to fit thematically IMO. Even if it is built without the coaster. Perhaps as a restaurant or dark ride such as the rumored runaway mine train kids coaster.
The Little Mermaid is Danish. :wave:

Disneyfan1981

As has been eluded to and mentioned throughout this thread the Matterhorn should stay and I think will stay at DL. While you can argue the differences and argue that it would be at two different parks and two different atmospheres for the general visitor it'd just look like another E:E in MK.

Enchantâmes

There was some talk about this earlier. Just because the author is Danish, does not mean Musker and Menken placed the story in Denmark. The film's art direction does have some Mediterranean influences.
Its been said by several sources that it takes place in Denmark. Howard Ashman had more of hand in the movie than Alan Menken did btw. :wave:

cheezbat

While I love the Matterhorn, I too don't believe it will ever find it's way to WDW...instead, I hope to see a NEW different themed mountain adventure built at the Magic Kingdom...give me that Villains Mountain or Fire Mountain or something else!

I don't care how old the Matterhorn is...our Space Mountain(even after the refurb)is just as bumpy as Matterhorn...maybe worse! At least with the Matterhorn you can see what's coming, so it's a bit easier to brace for rough patches...Space Mountain you just get thrown around with no chance to protect yourself.

zifster

I don't care how old the Matterhorn is...our Space Mountain(even after the refurb)is just as bumpy as Matterhorn...maybe worse! At least with the Matterhorn you can see what's coming, so it's a bit easier to brace for rough patches...Space Mountain you just get thrown around with no chance to protect yourself.

That's exactly right!! :sohappy: Doesn't exactly create the illusion of careening through the vacuum of space does it? :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom