Matterhorn in the Magic Kingdom?

SeaCastle

Idk it is just depressing when all they are doing is selling land, and making the world smaller with 3rd party vendors, not keeping the parks up, closing pleasure island and leaving it a ghost town!, and not building the next biggest awesome attraction! I usually try to be very optimistic but lately it seems they don't care about being the biggest and the best. it's about how much can I get for this piece of land and why do we need to fix up or expand on the parks... And when they do we get fantasy land! :brick: I love disney I just wish they cared more!

For all intents and purposes, the new expansion will be great. You will finally see something new at the Resort, with a brand new restaurant, scenery, a great new dark ride, and other surprises they haven't announced yet. Park maintenance isn't what it was back in the day, but considering what we've had to deal with for the past decade, it has improved dramatically. Main Street is practically brand new.

There are many exciting things coming, just waiting to hit the green light. Things have started to take a turn for the better.

floridabill

For all intents and purposes, the new expansion will be great. You will finally see something new at the Resort, with a brand new restaurant, scenery, a great new dark ride, and other surprises they haven't announced yet. Park maintenance isn't what it was back in the day, but considering what we've had to deal with for the past decade, it has improved dramatically. Main Street is practically brand new.

There are many exciting things coming, just waiting to hit the green light. Things have started to take a turn for the better.

yea I guess it has, magic kingdom is looking very nice lately. I Know they probably have things lined up for every park, I just hope the tightwads in corporate decide to let loose some more money and green light more big projects!

devoy1701

for everyone that wants the Matterhorn in MK, have all of you RIDDEN it??

It definitely rides and feels like a 40 year old coster...very bumpy, very unconfortable. It's great over at DL, and visually it looks stunning, but one (er, one other than the actual Matterhorn) is enough. I would rather have an adapted concept with different and updated effects/storyline.

slappy magoo

The MK Matterhorn is fan fiction. We can dream, but don't hold your breath.

As for FLE: I mind that it caters to young girls, not that it caters to girls itself.

Firstly, I don't think Disney is all that gender specific in and of itself. Girls like pirates, boys like princess movies. The merchandise is very gender specific though (the princesses are all about pinky girly stuff)

Secondly, if one does consider Disney to be gender specific, then one must conclude that the rest of the MK is extremely boy-centric. Yet in fifty years, nobody has ever complained about sports cars, cowboys and pirates in the castle parks. Tom Sawyer in DL got a pirate make-over last year, and the internets were not ablaze with how Disney is catering only to young boys.

They build some stuff for girls for a change and the internets and upper management freak out. Bah.

I think youre speaking to a larger truth - it's more acceptable for girls to like things that aren't "girly" but it's not ok for guys to like "girly" things, lest they (horror) come across as "girly." Thus, all this princess stuff can't possibly be enjoyed by REAL boys, while girls are allowed to love pirates and outer space and out of control rides in an abandoned mine or deadly mountains. Heck, COOL girls can navigate twixt both worlds with ease, playing girly dressup whilst appreciating adrenaline rushes from action and adventure (see Comic con crowds). Even in modern Disney movies, girls or young women may deal of their Mister Right, but their strength and sense of honor makes them heroes who save as well as get saved, unlike "classic" pre-Little Mermaid Disney animation where Prince Charming always is their savior and the bravest thing the ladies often do is let themselves be noticed.

I'm not passing judgment on the way things are, just saying they are. I will be interested to see how, if at all, Disney chooses to address this in the Fantasyland expansion. Because it is a bit of a Catch-22. To make the new expansion too princessy risks alienating boys, and families upset that their sons "can't enjoy" the new fantasyland without their very maleness coming into question. To try to make the princess attractions LESS "girly" is to risk damaging their "princess" brand, alienating an already-delicate fickle audience (true of kids in general, not just girls), and force them to confront charges of homophobia (so boys can't POSSIBLY enjoy a Mermaid ride unless you butch it up? what kind of intolerant message is THAT?) It's a tightrope.

bgraham34

I don't particularly like having the same rides in both parks. It is nice when there are different rides, because it gives you more reason to travel to another park.

IWant2GoNow

for everyone that wants the Matterhorn in MK, have all of you RIDDEN it??

It definitely rides and feels like a 40 year old coster...very bumpy, very unconfortable. It's great over at DL, and visually it looks stunning, but one (er, one other than the actual Matterhorn) is enough. I would rather have an adapted concept with different and updated effects/storyline.

Something like E:E perhaps? :lol:

MKeeler

My new wish has been for the Matterhorn in Europe themed section of Animal Kingdom (minus Harold of course). I know everyone thinks that Everest and the Matterhorn are too similar to be in the same park, but I just don't understand that. They are vastly different ride experiences. To me Animal Kingdom could use a Big Thunder to Everest's Space Mountain, if you will.

You could even further differentiate the two by changing the Matterhorn's ride system to a true trackless Swiss Bob ride, like an Intamin AG Bobsled. Could be the start of a new Disney Mountain range.

SeaCastle

I think youre speaking to a larger truth - it's more acceptable for girls to like things that aren't "girly" but it's not ok for guys to like "girly" things, lest they (horror) come across as "girly." Thus, all this princess stuff can't possibly be enjoyed by REAL boys, while girls are allowed to love pirates and outer space and out of control rides in an abandoned mine or deadly mountains. Heck, COOL girls can navigate twixt both worlds with ease, playing girly dressup whilst appreciating adrenaline rushes from action and adventure (see Comic con crowds). Even in modern Disney movies, girls or young women may deal of their Mister Right, but their strength and sense of honor makes them heroes who save as well as get saved, unlike "classic" pre-Little Mermaid Disney animation where Prince Charming always is their savior and the bravest thing the ladies often do is let themselves be noticed.

I'm not passing judgment on the way things are, just saying they are. I will be interested to see how, if at all, Disney chooses to address this in the Fantasyland expansion. Because it is a bit of a Catch-22. To make the new expansion too princessy risks alienating boys, and families upset that their sons "can't enjoy" the new fantasyland without their very maleness coming into question. To try to make the princess attractions LESS "girly" is to risk damaging their "princess" brand, alienating an already-delicate fickle audience (true of kids in general, not just girls), and force them to confront charges of homophobia (so boys can't POSSIBLY enjoy a Mermaid ride unless you butch it up? what kind of intolerant message is THAT?) It's a tightrope.

I'll agree on all but one point. Boys don't like princess meet and greets because it damages their potential manliness, but rather because it's boring and irrelevant to them. The prospect of meeting princesses won't faze boys. Maybe if it was a male-oriented meet and greet it would appeal to all genders.

If you wanted to make the argument that The Little Mermaid and other franchises are too heavily marketed for females, thus keeping the average male from enjoying them, I would agree there.

wizards8507

Agreed. Putting the Matterhorn in the MK and claiming it is significantly different than E:E would be equivalent to building a log flume ride... we'll set it in the "thistle patch" somewhere in Tennessee (as opposed to the 'deep south'). We can have an AA bunny (different than a rabbit) being chased by an AA wolf (different than a fox) and an AA black bear (different than a brown bear). We'll stick this ride in Animal Kingdom and nobody will think it's too similar to Splash Mountain whatsoever.

An aboninable snowman is a yeti. A mountain is a mountain. A rollercoaster is a rollercoaster. Get over it. Trivial arguments about track design and story are fine to say "Matterhorn isn't EXACTLY the same as E:E," but the fact is that they're WAY too similar to exist just a couple miles from one another.

wizards8507

If you wanted to make the argument that The Little Mermaid and other franchises are too heavily marketed for females, thus keeping the average male from enjoying them, I would agree there.

I don't think it's the marketing. I think it's inherrent in boys and girls. Grown men can appreciate romance and fantasy, but they have to grow into it. At 21 years old, one of my favorite experiences has been seeing Beauty and the Beast on broadway. As a child, the art of a story like that would have been lost on me. Depending on the person, most men usually begin to appreciate things like that sometime during college-age, and begin admitting it sometime shortly after that. I have no dellusions of being "cool," and I'm engaged so I don't have to impress anyone with machisimo, so it's probably easier for me to appreciate things like that than most men my age, but the point remains.

The reason that I won't personally enjoy the apparently female-driven elements of FLE is because the concepts behind them are cheap. Scratch that. I'm sure I'll love the Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Little Mermaid, and other "classic" elements, but Pixie Hollow will be lost on me. Pixie Hollow is step one of a cheap, artless, cerial form of pulp fiction that begins in youth and transitions to The Twilight Saga, ______ in the City, and romance novels. If Disney sticks to original theming and classic cinema, they can make FL as girly as they want. But elements like Pixie Hollow are cheap and fleeting and have no place at WDW.

devoy1701

actually I was thinking more of Fire Mountain....but yes you present the other good point.

Not only do I think that the Matterhorn is greatly overhyped as a "great attraction" but it is also too thematically similar to E:E....who cares if the mountains are "on different continents". That would be like having the Tomorrowland speedway in MK and then building Autopia in DHS.

the-reason14

I HATE this argument about Space Mountain. It's a wild mouse design. The whippy, out of control feeling is the entire point.

Well atleast our space mt. doesn't turn in circles while flashing pretty lights in your face and blaring music in your ears while completely screwing up the term "roller coaster." :snore: I get sleepy just thinking about it.

devoy1701

Well atleast our space mt. doesn't turn in circles while flashing pretty lights in your face and blaring music in your ears while completely screwing up the term "roller coaster." :snore: I get sleepy just thinking about it.

The music soundtrack is what makes DL's so great. The way the tempo steadily increases as you get farther into the ride works very well to give you the sense that you have also sped up tremendously I think it's very well executed.

Though seems like there will always be something to compain about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom